Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Default Re: Maybe a crazy question.What do you think of the term "Fragrance Community"?

I have never given it much thought one way or the other.
    Better than fraghag

Default Re: Maybe a crazy question.What do you think of the term "Fragrance Community"?

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    Scentrists
    Or colognialists, perhaps?
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Freed from BN Institution

The term is fine. It's a just a term to describe individuals who have a common interest of liking fragrances.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by dealt7faux View Post
    I have never given it much thought one way or the other.
    Better than fraghag
    I don't know. "Fraghag Community" has a ring to it
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by purecaramel View Post
    I see what you did there.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I see what you did there.
    I suppose since this is the Male Forum "Fragstud Community" would be more appropriate.

Then again "Fragslut Community" has a certain cachet.

After all, most our members likely have a Wardrobe and could easily be labeled Fragrantly Promiscuous.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I suppose since this is the Male Forum "Fragstud Community" would be more appropriate.

After all, most our members have likely have a Wardrobe and be labeled Fragrantly Promiscuous.
    I prefer Polyaromatic thank you very much.

Basenotes Plus

I suppose we could be called a Polyaromatic Community.
    Well. Except for the Aventus sub-group who profess Monoaromaticy

I suspect, in truth, they are all closet Poly's.

Crazy question indeed.

I like "Fragrance Community" Fragcòmm not so much.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I suppose we could be called a Polyaromatic Community.
    Well. Except for the Aventus sub-group who profess Monoaromaticy

I suspect, in truth, they are all closet Poly's.

Crazy question indeed.

I like "Fragrance Community" Fragcòmm not so much.
    Fragcomme de Carçons?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Fragcomme de Carçons?
    ZC. You Rule. My stomach hurts and I'm out of breath!

Sillage Monster

Well, there’s always Perfume Junkie as in the Australian Perfume Junkies group, in recognition of the addictive nature of this obsession... er, hobby.
    Hey, let's be careful out there. - Sgt. Esterhaus, Hill Street Blues
    Currently wearing: Copper Skies by Kerosene

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

ZC. You Rule. My stomach hurts and I'm out of breath!
    I'm fun to have around for Mad Libs or Cards Against Humanity too. <3

I refer to myself as a cologne whore for the assonance though I know the pedants will stone me for it...
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Basenotes Plus

That nails it. Henceforth I wish to be known as a fraghag.

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Or colognialists, perhaps?
    Good one. That should be the unisex designation.

Basenotes Junkie

Calling people with a common interest/obsession, who've only ever "met" online, a "community," stretches the term in the same way the term "culture" is stretched when referring to the ambiance of a particular corporation.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ScentMemory View Post
    Calling people with a common interest/obsession, who've only ever "met" online, a "community," stretches the term in the same way the term "culture" is stretched when referring to the ambiance of a particular corporation.
    That’s ok, some people like to live within very prescriptive and narrow walls of concepts or language. Whatever you feel most comfortable using
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    So what more appropriate terms or concepts would you use for such a granfalloon if existing terms and concepts are not allowed to evolve or be stretched to cover them? Or are you just being snarky about the internet not being real life?

Not that you have to use or even like using the term fragrance community, I just wonder what better term there could be for online or virtual communities if one doesn’t use the word community https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_community

Id use fragrance community slightly different than fragrance enthusiasts because I assume there are plenty of perfume lovers who don’t natter about it online. The fragrance community I believe is a pretty small echo chamber with little influence on the overall fragrance market, although we tend to be rather self important about it all.

on an unrelated note, I need to steal the the thread winning phrase Fragcomme des Garçons.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

nutters

but smell good

After all, most our members likely have a Wardrobe and could easily be labeled Fragrantly Promiscuous.
    FragSlut? I feel seen.

Caught in fragrante delicto.

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    That’s ok, some people like to live within very prescriptive and narrow walls of concepts or language. Whatever you feel most comfortable using
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    So what more appropriate terms or concepts would you use for such a granfalloon if existing terms and concepts are not allowed to evolve or be stretched to cover them? Or are you just being snarky about the internet not being real life?

Not that you have to use or even like using the term fragrance community, I just wonder what better term there could be for online or virtual communities if one doesn’t use the word community https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_community
    I'm going with the snark hypothesis.

Of course this is a community. The concept of a community of people with something in common, not bound by physical space, existing on the internet, was novel in, oh, the mid 90s.

The lead-off definition of Community per the Cambridge Dictionary:
    "all the people who live in a particular area, or a group of people who are considered as a unit because of their shared interests or background"
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Parfum Sacré by Caron

My understanding is it is the forum to discuss perfumes marketed to males but is open to all.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Aura by Thierry Mugler

Personally speaking, not considering this question in any way crazy, silly and/or even slightly off-topic.

Furthermore, also happening to be quite ok with the term and also recognizing this as a fairly appropriate description of Basenotes.
    As the BN forums and/or other services, features etc. of this platform do have certain sense of sharing knowledge, a similar hobby (or even several hobbies and even occupations more or less considering fragrance) and facilitating multiple forms of both online and offline communication about it.
    Currently wearing: Zara Man Gold by Zara

Quote Originally Posted by ScentMemory View Post
    I see some responses critical of this statement, but just being honest, I love how you stated this: particularly by formulating with stretches the term. This isn't saying that the term can't be applied in the usage. As often pointed out, language is dynamic, ever-changing, blah blah blah...

@Darjeeling "So what more appropriate terms or concepts would you use for such a granfalloon if existing terms and concepts are not allowed to evolve or be stretched to cover them?"

As you suggest by mentioning the terms online and virtual, I like the addition of online and virtual, e.g. the online fragrance community, the virtual fragrance community.
    p.s. granfalloon...love that...
    "I'm sure there are things that you like that someone else here dislikes."
    papillo
    Currently wearing: Aoud Lime by Montale

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    My understanding is it is the forum to discuss perfumes marketed to males but is open to all.
    My understanding is this Forum is centered upon perfumes marketed to Males, certainly. I would argue that it additionally provides Forum to practice Male rhetoric and is open to all.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

I don't think I use it, or plan to.

"Fragrance enthusiasts" is fine. It sounds less committal.

Basenotes Plus

No problem with "Fragrance Community" or even the shortened "FragComm", although I doubt anyone outside of said "FragComm" would understand what that is.

The don’t really like this term.
    Eating community
    Drinking community
    Smoking community
    You get the point I guess

prefer Juice Junkies!

|I'm pretty lukewarm about the term, but warmer to the idea of the thread.

I've posted in a thread recently and used the term "fragcom members" and yes it already felt a little bit strange while typing it because I normally don't use it.

But I never thought that some of you guys in the US are wondering about it, too, as nearly every reviewer I watch on Youtube, regardless mainstream or niche, talks about "fragcom" - so I've assumed that it's the normal way to call the community of fragrance enthusiasts.

As there is obviously no real membership anywhere like in an organized association or a special club I don't mind if someone sees me as a fragcom member. It just means that I'm a guy who likes fragrances a lot (incl. enjoying fragrance reviews, forums etc.).

Nerf Herder

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    Well, there’s always Perfume Junkie as in the Australian Perfume Junkies group, in recognition of the addictive nature of this obsession... er, hobby.
    To paraphrase the great Richard Pryor, "I'm not addicted to cologne.... I just really love the way it smells."

Boclet.jpg