Code of Conduct
o

Default Will someone please help me understand some fragrance related math

Not sure I've got this right and my brain is melting.

Given the following:

* Cedarwood oil (virginia) is 24.3% cedrol

* Cedrol is allowed by IFRA up to 1.5% of the finished (diluted) fragrance

Assuming a dilution of 20% for the finished fragrance, what percentage of *undiluted* fragrance concentrate can be cedarwood oil?

My math says 30.86%.

1.5% at 20% dilution = 7.5% of the concentrate

Solve 7.5/x = 24.3/100

Is this correct?

If so, why do TGSC and PA both say that cedarwood virginia can only be used up to 20% in concentrate? (mind you, I'm not trying to use so much cedar! This is just an example. Many natural materials say on tgsc "can be used up to x% in concentrate" without references to IFRA or anything else)

Default Re: Will someone please help me understand some fragrance related math

Where TGSC says up to such and such "in concentrate," it usually is actually in final formula. A common problem on the site. If caring about IFRA, it's always necessary to get the information straight from their site.

Yes, 1.5% of finished fragrance where the fragrance is 20% concentrate means 7.5% in concentrate, and if the cedarwood is 24.3% cedrol, then the concentrate may be 7.5/0.243 percent cedarwood, which is 30.86%.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    If caring about IFRA
    Why might someone disregard IFRA? I guess if they have no intention of selling a product?

There is for example no US law that requires adhering to IFRA. Actually I don't think there's a law in any country that does. Possibly some insurers require it, possibly some distributors or retailers require it, but I cannot say on that.

It's voluntary and not everyone agrees with it.