Code of Conduct
o

Default Looking for ideas/inspiration

Hello fellow fragrance lovers! Im new here so bear with me...
    Long story short - Ive always enjoyed fragrance but I became enamored with the idea of finding my signature fragrance about a year ago after a backpacking trip around eastern europe in the middle of winter. I was surprised at how big a deal perfume is in that part of the world and was smelling so many wonderful things there I realized it was time to step my game up. After getting back home I dove into research and discovered basenotes, some youtube reviewers and also the decant sellers: theperfumedcourt, scentsplit, surrendertochance, etc. In the last year I've probably accumulated 150/160 different decants. Some of them have been scrubbers, many of them have been somewhere in the middle and a few of them have been absolutely outstanding. Im wondering if some of you might have some recommendations based on what I have found I like. I notice that I'm not so keen on vetiver notes, strong animalics and gourmands. Ive really gotten into fougere's, chypre's, oud's and aquatics. Here are some of my favorites by (very) loosely arranged genre:

Xerjoff -40 knots
    Heeley- Sel Marin
    D&G -Light Blue

Houbigant -Fougere Royal
    Guerlain Heritage/ Roja Danger PH
    Patou -PH
    Eight & Bob -Egypt
    Aramis -New West
    D&G -PH

Guerlain -Mitsuoko
    Roja -Diaghilev

Clive Christian -1872
    Creed -Aventus
    CdG- Amazingreen
    Creed -GIT

Nasomatto -Pardon
    Nicolai -NYI/ Guerlian L'Instant PH

Casanova -1725/ PdR -Battito d'ali

L'Occitane -Mer et Mistral
    Mona di Orio -Oud Osmanthus

Any and all recommendations are welcome. A special shout out to Zealot Crusader - your encyclopedic knowledge has expanded my horizons, entertained and delighted me. Thanks for your time everyone, may the olfactory adventures continue!

Default Re: Looking for ideas/inspiration

Welcome.

I'm not a fan of aquatics myself. That said, I have found Community by The Zoo really interesting, an unusual aquatic citrus.

For fougeres, you probably heard about it already, but the usual "nugere" that gets mentioned (beyond 1725) is Invasion Barbare. But I would not forget the classics like Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur (vanillic fougere) or Chanel Boy (a bit too smooth for me, but a very well rounded fougere).

cacio

I'm guessing you have tried 3rd Man and Rive Gauche -- 2 wonderful classics

So, I would really urge you to hunt down Eau Noire by Dior --- a simply stunning lavender and immortelle combination that has inexplicably been withdrawn

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

+1 on Rive Gauche pour Homme.

Also suggest Invasion Barbare and Chypre Palatin.

And, R de Capucci pour Homme.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Welcome to you johnnynice! Enjoy you time here at Basenotes! Based on your likes, you might find Sagamore by Lancome appealing.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks cacio! I have a decant of Invasion Barbare but up till today I had only worn it once. At your suggestion I retried it this morning and was struck by some of the similarities it has with Casanova 1725 but without the powderiness (it's the only thing I didn't care for with the Casanova). I've found Mouchoir de Monsieur and Chanel Boy and am just waiting to see if I get any more ideas before ordering them. Thanks for the suggestions! If you think of any more let me know...

Welcome johnnynice! You've certainly sampled some excellent fragrances. I would add Amouage Bracken Man on to your sample list and second the recommendations for Invasion Barbare - both lovely in their own respects.

Thank you, Kaern. I've got 3rd Man but it's been a little bit since I've tried it. I'll definitely revisit it, it seems that since becoming interested in fragrances my tastes have changed (maybe more refined??) Or maybe it's the season of the year or my body chemistry has changed - still figuring it all out. Yatagan is one I keep going back to too. I think I've found Eau Noire. I'm not the most tech savvy guy but this should be the link:
    https://www.fragrancesline.com/produ...nt=34834076047
    Is that it?

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynice View Post
    Thank you, Kaern. I've got 3rd Man but it's been a little bit since I've tried it. I'll definitely revisit it, it seems that since becoming interested in fragrances my tastes have changed (maybe more refined??) Or maybe it's the season of the year or my body chemistry has changed - still figuring it all out. Yatagan is one I keep going back to too. I think I've found Eau Noire. I'm not the most tech savvy guy but this should be the link:
    https://www.fragrancesline.com/produ...nt=34834076047
    Is that it?
    Yes that's it.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

gonna get it right now

freewheelingvagabond, at your and Kaern's recommendation I looked into Rive Gauche. It definitely seems right up my alley, that one I'm really looking forward to. It looks like it comes in an 'intense' version with more patchouly too. That's cool, patchouly and I get along well.
    I have a decant of Chypre Palatin but I've only worn it once. I was able to get a little bit of vintage Mitsuoko and it seems if I'm feeling like a chypre that's the one I go for. It's just soooo good. There's something about that perfume that's gotten into my blood. I don't go more than 3 weeks without wearing it, I just crave it. But it'll be fun to check out Chypre Palatin again, I'll make that my morning fragrance tomorrow.
    R de Capucci looks like it's going to be hard to find. That's okay, the quest continues... Thanks for your reply!

Freed from BN Institution

I would recommend the exploration of Rogue Perfumery. Fougere L'Aube, Chypye-Siam and Mousse Illuminee are very good choices.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Visit the various wardrobes, fragrance sites and read reviews!

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Yes that's it.
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynice View Post
    gonna get it right now
    The opening is a little challenging, but the drydown is something else -- hope you enjoy it

Derbyman, I've got the Amouage on the list of things to pick up. It seems like there's lots of appreciation for MDCI here, I'm going to have to look into the house a little more. Thanks!

N. Cal, I hadn't heard about Rogue Perfumery before you mentioned it but it seems like alot of people are talking about it on here. Thanks for the tip!