Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
o

Default Re: Wow Dior Homme 2020!

Ok. Now I'm curious.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

My opinion after spending an evening with it.

http://www.fragrancereviewer.com/202...or-homme-2020/
    Last edited by MegaMav; 18th January 2020 at 03:54 PM.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Basenotes Plus

For the record, it does not smell like Bleu de Chanel to me. I saw Buysblind mention Dior Homme Sport, I had said I feel like its a continuation of the dior homme cologne, but DHS is more what I was thinking. They really have moved those 2 to the forefront of their USA pitch, and both of those are sans iris. So they are remaking the whole line one fragrance at a time.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Quote Originally Posted by The Colognnoisseur View Post
    Found a tester of DH 2020 yesterday at the local Dior counter. Initial impression was favorable. Somewhat similar to DHE with less Iris, if any. I requested a sample and am dipping my toe into the pool with the purchase of a 50ml bottle to go along side my 50ml bottles of DH 2005, DH 2011, DHI 2011, DHS 2008, DHS 2012 and DHE. I’ll work my way through the sample first then if all continues to go well, on to the full bottle. I’ll be giving this proper wearings in the days to come. Seems like non-current versions of DH have dried up in these parts.
    Update: Got through the DH 2020 sample but returned the unopened bottle. What I hoped and thought would be a wow was only meh for me. In addition, the DH 2020 50ml box does not have the same dimensions as the earlier Dior 50ml boxes, so I assume the bottle dimensions are different as well. Overall, DH 2020 is simply not worth the effort for me -- I would rather seek out backups of what I currently have.
    THE COLOGNNOISSEUR
    OMAHA, NE
    USA

My last blog post (Bigslyfragrance/Wordpress) addresses this, and I put forth a few possible explanations. At this point, I have no interest in sampling it anyway, as the many reviews speak for themselves (sort of like Dior going in a direction Boss has mastered LOL).

I've owned this for about two weeks now and have probably worn it about 8 full days.

My final assessment is that it's not a bad fragrance in terms of how it smells and how it's put together, but it's very boring and its performance is bad. I can smell it for about two hours. After four hours there's not a chance of me smelling anything. While it's on it's just a citrusy woody scent with a sweet, airy musk supporting it. It's completely nondescript and is one fragrance I can honestly describe as "anonymous." But it is a nice anonymous. I think it would be good for an office where there's a very conservative and strict attitude toward fragrances. If you had to wear something but your options were severely restricted, this could be a good choice. But that's not really a ringing endorsement now, is it?

I originally gave it an 8 out of 10 with room to move half a point in either direction depending on how it worked out over the course of the week. For my final rating I would give it a 7.5 out of 10, since its performance has really proved to be dismal and the more I wore it, the more boring it became, rather than showing interesting nuances and growing on me (like Viking did). Still, I don't mind it. On Friday I decided to take a break from 2020 and give Fahrenheit a shot. Like a breath of fresh air...it never smelled so good before! It kind of put things in perspective.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    It kind of put things in perspective.
    It doesnt sound deserving of a 7.5.
    Whats a 5 then for you? A 3?
    Isnt 5 average at best?

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    Isnt 5 average at best?
    If it is like the wine rating system (up to 100), that would mean it is not recommened to wear, let alone buy a bottle, presumably. LOL. Below 80 the wine is to be avoided.

Isnt 5 average at best?
    A 5 is terrible. When I rate them I think of them as a numerical score equivalent to academic grades. So a 7.5, or a 75 is a solid “C” which is exactly average. A 5 would be like a 50, which is well below failing.

So fragrances that get 8’s aren’t necessarily great. They’re a B minus. 8.5 =‘B, etc.

The last scent I gave a 7/10 to before this one was Pasha Noire Sport, which I thought had a great little opening 15 or 20 minutes followed by 4 or 5 hours of a harsh, chemical and generic woody base. DH2020 doesn’t have as nice of an opening, but it’s not bad and I find the base that follows better put together (less scratchy, more crisp and tight) than PNS. So that would be why I’d give it a slightly lower rating than the Dior. Noire Sport has more glaring missteps even if I find the opening more impressive and it lasts longer overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    If it is like the wine rating system (up to 100), that would mean it is not recommened to wear, let alone buy a bottle, presumably. LOL. Below 80 the wine is to be avoided.
    It’s kind of like this.

I rarely even encounter fragrances I would give a true 5, let alone a 3. Scores like those would probably be reserved for those dollar imitation scents at places like CVS or the Dollar Store. But in *most* cases, popular designer brands are going to at least release something passable even if they’re a bit generic or uninspired.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

I posted my thoughts here, on BN.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    After 45 minutes, all that's left of Dior Homme 2020 is a vague brown smell. They should have named it Dior Homme Light. Light beer drinkers, rejoice! Wonder Bread eaters, rejoice! Clueless dudes at the fragrance counter who just want to be told which one to buy, rejoice! Own up to what you are! Buy Dior Homme 2020 and wear it with pride, albeit the sort of pride that befits your irrelevance.

Underwhelmers of the world, this dud's for you.
    This stuff is just bad. Actually, I take that back. It's too irrelevant to qualify as being bad.

This is such a confusing release. It has no character whatsoever. The opening is generic and vague. Nondescript not strong citrus. It fades quickly. After that comes a long lasting quiet base that smells brown, consisting of nondescript earthy-ish stuff.

The bottle fits the juice perfectly. Once you remove the cap, there's no name. It's a no name bottle for no character juice.

If you live in an apartment or condo building, there's always a guy everybody recognizes but nobody knows. He smiles in the elevator and sometimes offers up generic conversation. "It looks nice out today." He probably told you his name at some point, but you don't remember and it doesn't matter. "Hi, how ya' doin'?" "Good. you?" "Good." "That's good. Take care." "You too." This is the scent for that guy. Dior Meh.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Nio
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    M7 Oud Absolu
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Interlude Man
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

It’s kind of like this.

I rarely even encounter fragrances I would give a true 5, let alone a 3. Scores like those would probably be reserved for those dollar imitation scents at places like CVS or the Dollar Store. But in *most* cases, popular designer brands are going to at least release something passable even if they’re a bit generic or uninspired.
    Then why not grade on the letter scale, A/B/C/D/F?
    I dont think 1-10 makes much sense if you cant fathom giving something below a 5.
    I'm not going to tell you how to grade, but expressing myself when it comes to the 7/8/9'ers out there.
    Landshark reviewer is one of them, makes no sense to me, its not a term paper.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I have a soft spot for conservative citrus/woods fragrances, especially ones from mid-century. Granted, Dior Homme 2020 can't possibly have the same ingredients quality as something like vintage Monsieur de Givenchy (1959) or Revlon That Man (1958), but it is in the same spirit: intentionally masculine/conservative/low-key. That's what appeals to me most, the "everyman" vibe. Some people read that as boring, and if you're in the stage of your fragrance journey where you want engagement, then Dior Homme 2020 is abysmally boring. Likewise, if you're looking for natural ingredients or more-organic development on skin because that's where your happy place is, then Dior Homme 2020 is also a failure. Performance could also be a negative factor even from an objective standpoint if you wanted something that reaches out periodically throughout the day regardless of stylistic or material preferences.

I don't really do numbers and have a hard time even with the 5 star rating system (with 3 being a "could go either neutral or positive" kind of rating), but I gave Dior Homme 2020 a thumbs up for reviving a dead style with modern materials for mass consumption, bringing the masculine vibe of over 70 years ago full-circle for the John Q Public as L'Homme Blanc mentioned just wants to smell like they're wearing cologne and little else. To be honest, that is all John Q Public in 1955 wanted too, its just when stuff like Chanel Pour Monsieur answered that question, perfumers weren't hindered by IFRA, material costs, or shareholder-driven consumer testing to assure maximum adoption rate. Remember that beforehand we had almost 2 decades of "bubblegum showergel" fragrances dominating the male market. What we've got here is a late-stage Capitalist twist to the popular postmodernist/hipster retro-chic thing that Tom Ford has been abusing, which in short means "done on the cheap with a Hollywood sheen".

Folks who've never smelled real bergamot or oakmoss chypres will feel like Mad Men wearing something this resolutely "dapper", but those of us clutching vintage bottles of Rochas Moustache or Monsieur Lanvin with real sandalwood in place of cashmeran or civet in place of whatever musk is in Dior Homme 2020 will be amused at best (pretty much where I sit), or appalled at worst (where some of you sit) over what's been done and with what materials. From a big picture standpoint, this is probably a small victory that could open the door for perfumery to explore older styles with newer materials, not that people comparing this to Bleu de Chanel are wrong as that's just their point of reference. But from a more-localized viewpoint of a fragrance enthusiast, this is a far inferior replacement for the groundbreaking 2005 Dior Homme or even its 2011 redress, and a step in the wrong direction for a perfume house that built a reputation on being bold with its fragrances.

In short: it doesn't suck but doesn't fit what we know to be a Dior masculine, let alone an iteration of Dior Homme. If Burberry or Kenneth Cole put this out, it would still have its detractors but most people on here would not have the knee-jerk revulsion to it because there wouldn't be the same disappointment.

So the real question is: should we continue to be disappointed by Dior (in a post-Sauvage world) or just stop having the expectations we do? I don't want to be a buzzkill but it looks like Dior is trying to out-conservative Chanel anymore.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I have a soft spot for conservative citrus/woods fragrances, especially ones from mid-century. Granted, Dior Homme 2020 can't possibly have the same ingredients quality as something like vintage Monsieur de Givenchy (1959) or Revlon That Man (1958), but it is in the same spirit: intentionally masculine/conservative/low-key. That's what appeals to me most, the "everyman" vibe. Some people read that as boring, and if you're in the stage of your fragrance journey where you want engagement, then Dior Homme 2020 is abysmally boring. Likewise, if you're looking for natural ingredients or more-organic development on skin because that's where your happy place is, then Dior Homme 2020 is also a failure. Performance could also be a negative factor even from an objective standpoint if you wanted something that reaches out periodically throughout the day regardless of stylistic or material preferences.

I don't really do numbers and have a hard time even with the 5 star rating system (with 3 being a "could go either neutral or positive" kind of rating), but I gave Dior Homme 2020 a thumbs up for reviving a dead style with modern materials for mass consumption, bringing the masculine vibe of over 70 years ago full-circle for the John Q Public as L'Homme Blanc mentioned just wants to smell like they're wearing cologne and little else. To be honest, that is all John Q Public in 1955 wanted too, its just when stuff like Chanel Pour Monsieur answered that question, perfumers weren't hindered by IFRA, material costs, or shareholder-driven consumer testing to assure maximum adoption rate. Remember that beforehand we had almost 2 decades of "bubblegum showergel" fragrances dominating the male market. What we've got here is a late-stage Capitalist twist to the popular postmodernist/hipster retro-chic thing that Tom Ford has been abusing, which in short means "done on the cheap with a Hollywood sheen".

Folks who've never smelled real bergamot or oakmoss chypres will feel like Mad Men wearing something this resolutely "dapper", but those of us clutching vintage bottles of Rochas Moustache or Monsieur Lanvin with real sandalwood in place of cashmeran or civet in place of whatever musk is in Dior Homme 2020 will be amused at best (pretty much where I sit), or appalled at worst (where some of you sit) over what's been done and with what materials. From a big picture standpoint, this is probably a small victory that could open the door for perfumery to explore older styles with newer materials, not that people comparing this to Bleu de Chanel are wrong as that's just their point of reference. But from a more-localized viewpoint of a fragrance enthusiast, this is a far inferior replacement for the groundbreaking 2005 Dior Homme or even its 2011 redress, and a step in the wrong direction for a perfume house that built a reputation on being bold with its fragrances.
    Over the last year or so, my overall sensivity has been quite low, so I can wear a full spray of Kouros (or two!) without any issues, but many aroma chemicals seem to be blaring or at least irritating enough that I don't want to wear a bunch of scents I used to enjoy. I used to think that I wouldn't mind trying this or that new scent, with the idea that I enjoyed variety. However, at this point, I have too many of those mediocre to lousy scents and don't enjoy variety much, due mostly to the aforementioned sensitivity issue. Thus, this Dior scent is of no interest whatsoever to me.

In short: it doesn't suck but doesn't fit what we know to be a Dior masculine, let alone an iteration of Dior Homme. If Burberry or Kenneth Cole put this out, it would still have its detractors but most people on here would not have the knee-jerk revulsion to it because there wouldn't be the same disappointment.

So the real question is: should we continue to be disappointed by Dior (in a post-Sauvage world) or just stop having the expectations we do? I don't want to be a buzzkill but it looks like Dior is trying to out-conservative Chanel anymore.
    On its own merit I think its awful, with the namesake its treacherous.
    This line will be killed off from the confusion its going to cause in the market.
    This blatant of a move smells like sabotage. I wouldnt be caught dead wearing it.

Blog Entries

I thought it's ok, not worth the bashing it gets. Keep in mind that fragrances like these are made to appeal to the new different demographic, not us few frag-heads, the .5% of us (if that) in the world. There's plenty of Dior Homme still around, so my suggestion would be to buy a bottle or 2 before they go extinct.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Carven Homme by Carven

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

On its own merit I think its awful, with the namesake its treacherous.
    This line will be killed off from the confusion its going to cause in the market.
    This blatant of a move smells like sabotage. I wouldnt be caught dead wearing it.
    I already have my lifetime supply of Dior Homme "Original" so let the zombie cologne apocalypse commence.

I posted my thoughts here, on BN.

This stuff is just bad. Actually, I take that back. It's too irrelevant to qualify as being bad.

This is such a confusing release. It has no character whatsoever. The opening is generic and vague. Nondescript not strong citrus. It fades quickly. After that comes a long lasting quiet base that smells brown, consisting of nondescript earthy-ish stuff.

The bottle fits the juice perfectly. Once you remove the cap, there's no name. It's a no name bottle for no character juice.

If you live in an apartment or condo building, there's always a guy everybody recognizes but nobody knows. He smiles in the elevator and sometimes offers up generic conversation. "It looks nice out today." He probably told you his name at some point, but you don't remember and it doesn't matter. "Hi, how ya' doin'?" "Good. you?" "Good." "That's good. Take care." "You too." This is the scent for that guy. Dior Meh.
    Loved this description and completely agree.
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Basenotes Plus

I've owned this for about two weeks now and have probably worn it about 8 full days.

My final assessment is that it's not a bad fragrance in terms of how it smells and how it's put together, but it's very boring and its performance is bad. I can smell it for about two hours. After four hours there's not a chance of me smelling anything. While it's on it's just a citrusy woody scent with a sweet, airy musk supporting it. It's completely nondescript and is one fragrance I can honestly describe as "anonymous." But it is a nice anonymous. I think it would be good for an office where there's a very conservative and strict attitude toward fragrances. If you had to wear something but your options were severely restricted, this could be a good choice. But that's not really a ringing endorsement now, is it?

I originally gave it an 8 out of 10 with room to move half a point in either direction depending on how it worked out over the course of the week. For my final rating I would give it a 7.5 out of 10, since its performance has really proved to be dismal and the more I wore it, the more boring it became, rather than showing interesting nuances and growing on me (like Viking did). Still, I don't mind it. On Friday I decided to take a break from 2020 and give Fahrenheit a shot. Like a breath of fresh air...it never smelled so good before! It kind of put things in perspective.
    Nice review, unfortunately this new version won’t cut it for us non newbies in the fragrance world! Your average joe will throw it on and be content but a well trained nose will bore of it quick and find something else to wear.

Dior Hom'meh'? I'm going to give it one last try sometime this week. See if I can get sucked in, but I don't see that happening.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Nice review, unfortunately this new version won’t cut it for us non newbies in the fragrance world! Your average joe will throw it on and be content but a well trained nose will bore of it quick and find something else to wear.
    Absolutely. There’s no chance of it gaining any sort of traction here. I understand exactly why people think it’s boring—I do too. But it’s not nearly as bad as it’s being made out to be. Look, you could take a fragrance and overload it with all kinds of sweet, fruity smells and make it super strong but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be any better than a very plain citrus and woods that’s instantly forgettable and lasts about 2 or 3 hours. It’s just easier to point out how boring the latter is because it essentially leaves a “non-impression.” However, I’ll take a “non-impression” any day over a straight up bad impression. I don’t think there are many people who would smell 2020 and find it offensive and hard-to-stomach simply in terms of its smell (it’s lack of creativity and effort, perhaps). As someone else mentioned, a lot of the backlash is because this is from Dior, a company that used to be the pinnacle of creativity and innovation. This is like a slap in the face, especially when you consider that its birth is directly tied to the original’s death. I wrote a review for Mr. Burberry a while ago that reads very similarly to the general reactions here. The only difference between Mr. Burberry and Dior 2020 in terms of approach (imo) is that I think 2020 is actually pretty well put together in terms of its polish and the crisp feel of its notes. I don’t feel that way about Mr. Burberry. It’s a boring citrus-woods that feels kind of slow and sleepy to me, with notes that feel flat and thin. Not that 2020 is an example of rich, enveloping notes, but I find they have pretty energetic and crisp feel...while they last. Anyway, no one cared about Mr. Burberry enough to really bash it (at least around here) because it was coming from a house in which there were already low expectations. Still, it received some negative attention, mostly followed by people explaining how while not the most exciting fragrance, its purpose was to be discreet and fly in the face of the more common, loud, trendy shower gel fragrances of the time. That it presented a simple citrus and woods masculine when citrus-woods were out, and even if it’s boring, it’s nonetheless pleasant. That’s not happening now for Dior. They’re being held to a different standard (which makes sense considering their history), and even if the fragrance itself doesn’t generically follow what is currently trending, and presents a different alternative, it’s the creativity, or lack of creativity rather, with which that alternative style was approached that’s being held to the fire. It seems the exact opposite of this *somewhat apologetic* approach to Mr. Burberry is occurring now with DH2020. When Sauvage was released I thought it was a chemical mess...a real disaster, and so did many other people. But Sauvage got a pass in the end because regardless of how you felt about its use of synthetics, or how it was put together, you couldn’t argue that it didn’t smell distinct and memorable. So although the fragrance disappointed many Dior fans, it kind of got away with it due to its creativity. But now 2020 comes out and it’s like “THIS is what you’re giving us now?! This forgettable woody murmur of Iso-E and musk? That’s it?!” There’s not even anything here to really hate. Love it or hate it, with Sauvage Dior at least gave us something. With Dior Homme 2020 it’s almost like they gave us nothing.

Absolutely. There’s no chance of it gaining any sort of traction here. I understand exactly why people think it’s boring—I do too. But it’s not nearly as bad as it’s being made out to be. Look, you could take a fragrance and overload it with all kinds of sweet, fruity smells and make it super strong but that doesn’t mean it’s going to be any better than a very plain citrus and woods that’s instantly forgettable and lasts about 2 or 3 hours. It’s just easier to point out how boring the latter is because it essentially leaves a “non-impression.” However, I’ll take a “non-impression” any day over a straight up bad impression. I don’t think there are many people who would smell 2020 and find it offensive and hard-to-stomach simply in terms of its smell (it’s lack of creativity and effort, perhaps). As someone else mentioned, a lot of the backlash is because this is from Dior, a company that used to be the pinnacle of creativity and innovation. This is like a slap in the face, especially when you consider that its birth is directly tied to the original’s death. I wrote a review for Mr. Burberry a while ago that reads very similarly to the general reactions here. The only difference between Mr. Burberry and Dior 2020 in terms of approach (imo) is that I think 2020 is actually pretty well put together in terms of its polish and the crisp feel of its notes. I don’t feel that way about Mr. Burberry. It’s a boring citrus-woods that feels kind of slow and sleepy to me, with notes that feel flat and thin. Not that 2020 is an example of rich, enveloping notes, but I find they have pretty energetic and crisp feel...while they last. Anyway, no one cared about Mr. Burberry enough to really bash it (at least around here) because it was coming from a house in which there were already low expectations. Still, it received some negative attention, mostly followed by people explaining how while not the most exciting fragrance, its purpose was to be discreet and fly in the face of the more common, loud, trendy shower gel fragrances of the time. That it presented a simple citrus and woods masculine when citrus-woods were out, and even if it’s boring, it’s nonetheless pleasant. That’s not happening now for Dior. They’re being held to a different standard (which makes sense considering their history), and even if the fragrance itself doesn’t generically follow what is currently trending, and presents a different alternative, it’s the creativity, or lack of creativity rather, with which that alternative style was approached that’s being held to the fire. It seems the exact opposite of this *somewhat apologetic* approach to Mr. Burberry is occurring now with DH2020. When Sauvage was released I thought it was a chemical mess...a real disaster, and so did many other people. But Sauvage got a pass in the end because regardless of how you felt about its use of synthetics, or how it was put together, you couldn’t argue that it didn’t smell distinct and memorable. So although the fragrance disappointed many Dior fans, it kind of got away with it due to its creativity. But now 2020 comes out and it’s like “THIS is what you’re giving us now?! This forgettable woody murmur of Iso-E and musk? That’s it?!” There’s not even anything here to really hate. Love it or hate it, with Sauvage Dior at least gave us something. With Dior Homme 2020 it’s almost like they gave us nothing.
    You're right. It's not awful. It doesn't stink. It's downright pleasant. But so is Nautica Voyage and KC Reaction.

We don't pay this price for average.
    Currently wearing: Beloved Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    You're right. It's not awful. It doesn't stink. It's downright pleasant. But so is Nautica Voyage and KC Reaction.

Another *sound* reason for the backlash—cost. Take that and combine with Dior’s history as a creative house and you have the perfect storm. Then, throw on top of that the fact it’s displacing the beloved original...this one is doomed (here in the community). But I also can’t imagine it doing so well out there in the real world either. There are too many bigger, more impressionable smells competing at the counter. Wonder how long it will last...

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post

Another *sound* reason for the backlash—cost. Take that and combine with Dior’s history as a creative house and you have the perfect storm. Then, throw on top of that the fact it’s displacing the beloved original...this one is doomed (here in the community). But I also can’t imagine it doing so well out there in the real world either. There are too many bigger, more impressionable smells competing at the counter. Wonder how long it will last...
    Put another way:

If this was an Avon release, it would get a pass by more people for being a cheap guilty pleasure of simple, competent, throwback masculinity that recalls their 50's/60's drugstore-ish roots. $20 for a modern take on an old-school citrus/woods/musk? Yes please.

BUT

It's Dior. It's $100. It's replacing one of the most iconic masculine creations of the 2000's once considered proof that designer men's perfume isn't dead. Maybe Sauvage was the last gasp, and this is Dior self-sabotaging their legacy a la Ric Flair so they can do what they want, get paid, and be left alone?

I guess Hermès is the last designer house standing with any creative reputation left in the men's market, but they can't milk Terre d'Hermès forever either so they'll either have to join the "fragrance army" too or pull a Tom Ford and put their standard lines at entry-level niche prices to "afford" some creativity. Sad.

Put another way:

If this was an Avon release, it would get a pass by more people for being a cheap guilty pleasure of simple, competent, throwback masculinity that recalls their 50's/60's drugstore-ish roots. $20 for a modern take on an old-school citrus/woods/musk? Yes please.

BUT

It's Dior. It's $100. It's replacing one of the most iconic masculine creations of the 2000's once considered proof that designer men's perfume isn't dead. Maybe Sauvage was the last gasp, and this is Dior self-sabotaging their legacy a la Ric Flair so they can do what they want, get paid, and be left alone?

I guess Hermès is the last designer house standing with any creative reputation left in the men's market, but they can't milk Terre d'Hermès forever either so they'll either have to join the "fragrance army" too or pull a Tom Ford and put their standard lines at entry-level niche prices to "afford" some creativity. Sad.
    I tell ya, I was terrified last year when (I believe) Anton Pan announced that Hermes would be releasing a new pillar. “God, please don’t let it be shit,” is all I could think. I believe it wasn’t long after Y! hit the shelves when I heard this. So with Dior (Sauvage), Givenchy (Gentleman), Versace (Dylan Blue) , Armani (Stronger...), and now YSL all releasing what were pretty same-old and sorry pillars, I knew if Hermes followed suit it would be the nail in the coffin...and I’d be depressed as hell about it. I wonder what’s going on over there anyway. I know they switched perfumers, but other than that brief announcement on BN about a new pillar, I haven’t heard a peep.

And for the record I kind of liked the new Givenchy Gentleman.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I tell ya, I was terrified last year when (I believe) Anton Pan announced that Hermes would be releasing a new pillar. “God, please don’t let it be shit,” is all I could think. I believe it wasn’t long after Y! hit the shelves when I heard this. So with Dior (Sauvage), Givenchy (Gentleman), Versace (Dylan Blue) , Armani (Stronger...), and now YSL all releasing what were pretty same-old and sorry pillars, I knew if Hermes followed suit it would be the nail in the coffin...and I’d be depressed as hell about it. I wonder what’s going on over there anyway. I know they switched perfumers, but other than that brief announcement on BN about a new pillar, I haven’t heard a peep.

And for the record I kind of liked the new Givenchy Gentleman.
    I admit digging some of those in that list (Dylan Blue for its Sauvage-in-a-90's-blender vibe for example) but otherwise agree that we've hit a sort of nadir in men's fragrance from the designer segment. I almost included Cartier in the list of last-man-standing designers but realized they only make jewelry and watches outside perfume, so like Lalique and Montblanc, feel more designer-adjacent if not niche-adjacent (like Lalique). If Hermès "pulls a Dior" and remakes Equipage or something into an ambrox bomb or cashmerean nü-chypre, we can both get together and have a round of drinks to mourn the loss.

I also kinda like Dior Homme 2020 as a lazy-grab but not for $100

Yes, we are in nadir country safari now. I think I got into this at the right time, late 2007, when only a small number of niche was "must try" (and a lot more natural smelling that today's niche) and plenty of vintage was available on ebay, often around $25 for a mostly full 100 ml, along those lines. So, I can be content with those experiences and the bottles I own. Dior and these other non-fragrance companies (as they are owned by a few multi-business, multi-nationals, and creativity is the lowest priority, apparently) can have their profits, as I take the road less traveled.

Basenotes Institution L'Homme Blanc Individuel's Avatar
    Tic Tac Toto, we're not in Kansas anymore.
    Blog Entries

One thing is for sure: this junk may be soft but it is definitely LONG LASTING. The fresh opening fades fast, but the generic baloney calogney smell of the base lasts for ages.

I dropped by Nordstrom Saturday afternoon and sprayed the back of my hand once with the new Dior Homme. One spray. Two days later, I can still smell it on the cuff of my coat's sleeve. I wore my coat for less than ten minutes today, but when I took it off I could smell the base of Dior Homme 2020 on my wrist. I'm surprised by how strong this junk is considering how soft it smells.

Whatever they're using as fixatives here, it really lasts. I sure wish it didn't. After the opening blast fades, I don't like the rest at all. It's just this mush of brown & dark green smell (vague woods, something patch-ish). It's not harsh, thank god, but it's not good.
    Current Favorites (in no particular order)
    Castile
    Nio
    Endymion
    Royal Oud
    Petit Matin
    Curve
    1725 Casanova
    Tabac Rouge
    Green Irish Tweed
    Tom Ford Extreme
    M7 Oud Absolu
    Prada L'Homme
    Les Exclusifs Eau de Cologne
    Terre d'Hermes Parfum
    Interlude Man
    Pomelo Paradis
    Aqua Universalis
    Hanae Mori H.M. EDT

Whatever they're using as fixatives here, it really lasts. I sure wish it didn't.
    Sewage stinks forever.
    This stuff is no different.

Not a fan. Especially wrecked by an Iso E Super chemical disaster. Not recommended.