Code of Conduct
o

Default Is this Montale fragrance authentic or fake?

Hey guys, I recently bought Montale Vanille Absolu from ebay from an private seller who sold a few Montale and Mancera's. To keep a long story short, I tried the exact same fragrance in a department store last week and it smelled like a creamy gourmand vanilla, whereas this one is about 50% similar. It does have the slight vanilla note, but with an added alcohol/medicinal strange smell to it, whereas the authentic tester I tried in store was a linear vanilla that remained the same throughout. It does seem to have good performance, not as good as the tester I tried, but I'm unsure of it's authenticity. I have also seen that Montale and FragranceNet show the bottles with 3 1/3 FL oz, instead of 3.4 on mine and some others I've seen. I do know this can vary though between some Montale's though. I did spray both fragrances on the card (the authentic in store tester and my purchase) and in the opening it's about 30% similar and in the dry down i'd say 60 to 70%ish. Mine and many others' thoughts are it could just be due to the fact that the tester was old and mine is a newer batch? I have provided some pictures below.

I've also tried to unscrew the cap with some force too but it doesn't budge and the finish right under the cap is a bit rough, like some of it has been grated which I have circled. I know some bottles do have a batch number on the back, but this bottle has different sets of numbers on the back, and two complete different ones on the bottom of the box. There is also some kind of bubble effect on the bottle just under the screw cap from the finish which i'm not sure is normal or not but again, iv'e circled it.

20200113_210430.jpg
    20200113_210353.jpg
    20200113_211114.jpg
    20200113_211345.jpg
    20200113_211606.jpg
    20200113_212015.jpg
    20200113_212153.jpg
    20200113_212252.jpg
    20200113_212319.jpg

I have also posted this on another forum and had some helpful response and was wondering if anyone here who has a lot of Montale's or experience with them could offer a little more insight? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Is this Montale fragrance authentic or fake?

I can't say with certainty whether it is genuine or not, but I have 194 Montale bottles and not one of them has that bubble effect on the bottle that you have circled. It could just be a poorly manufactured or produced bottle that passed through slipshod quality control. I believe there was a Basenoter a year or two who had the same problem with the bubbling effect or rusting on the canister in different areas. I think he got a replacement from the company.
    Last edited by hednic; 17th January 2020 at 01:36 AM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I can't say with certainty whether it is genuine or not, but I have 180 Montale bottles and not one of them has that bubble effect on the bottle that you have circled. It could just be a poorly manufactured or produced bottle that passed through slipshod quality control. I believe there was a Basenoter a year or two who had the same problem with the bubbling effect or rusting on the canister in different areas. I think he got a replacement from the company.
    Thanks Hednic. There is some grated metal and residue directly under the screw cap too so it ideally shouldn't have been allowed to pass the quality control checks.

Would you say the two different sets of batch codes on the back of the bottle and bottom of the box are normal? and I'm guessing your bottles labels also vary with regards to whether they have 3 1/3 FL OZ or 3.4 FL OZ written on them? The bottles for Vanille Absolu (and many other Montale's) I've seen say 3 1/3 FL OZ on the bottle yet mine differs which is strange.

- - - Updated - - -

I've also had a closer look at the details and taken some pictures with the imperfections on the bottle. I haven't really paid this close attention before so may be nit-picking but does everyone's Montale's have imperfections like these all over them?

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by HSK16 View Post
    Thanks Hednic. There is some grated metal and residue directly under the screw cap too so it ideally shouldn't have been allowed to pass the quality control checks.

Would you say the two different sets of batch codes on the back of the bottle and bottom of the box are normal? and I'm guessing your bottles labels also vary with regards to whether they have 3 1/3 FL OZ or 3.4 FL OZ written on them?
    Honestly can't speak to the batch codes as I don't keep boxes and all my Montales were purchased from authorized retailers so I just assumed that would never be an issue. As to size, never paid much attention to the number as I have always bought the large bottle which I assumed was always 100ml.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.