Code of Conduct
o

Default Summery unisex recommendations - Aqua di Parma?

Weather here is awful and has put me in the mood for summery fragrance. I would rely on my old standby of Miss Dior original EdT but itís both more floral and formal but it has staying power and enough fresh to at least hold a little summery glimmer.

That said I have a longing for something to be fresh and breezy. I turn sometime to an old bottle of Penhaligonís Endymion as the fresher dry herbacious/spice notes suit a spring but sometimes feel too powdery in the dry down.

So today I was at the shops and found myself quite taken with AdPís cipresso di toscana. Though the bright notes fade a little fast on me I like the softly woody drydown. Itís interesting without being overwhelming and nose-poking sharp.

Stupid questions though: does this read as abjectly masculine or is it wearable by a woman? And overall longevity on the wear? I know the idea of a perpetually stable fresh summer fragrance is an oxymoron but how well does it hang in to the heat? I want a fresh-isn and reasonably unisex fragrance.

And in that vein, any thoughts on something similar? Along maybe the cipressano-Endymion axis, as in fresh but not sharp green and unsweet. I took a spritz of Hermes eau de merveilles bleu. I like, but prefer the AdP. The Hermes feels just a little unoriginal. I donít know what makes me think that but nothing it does thrills me.

Anyway, any thoughts much welcomed.

Thx!
    Currently wearing: La PanthŤre by Cartier

Default Re: Summery unisex recommendations - Aqua di Parma?

I enjoy cipresso di Toscana too. Ok but not spectacular longevity on me. Along the same lines, AdP used to have a Mirto as well that was very pleasant. Neither registers as particularly masculine (given also that right now masculine means aquatic-dihyrdomircenol-ambroxan powerhouses).

As for other along the lines that fresh and green but not sharp, some of the hermes do indeed come to mind, eg jardin sur le nil, that has also a progression greenish and sweetish to woody.

cacio

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    jardin sur le nil, that has also a progression greenish and sweetish to woody.

cacio
    Very good suggestion.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Freed from BN Institution

One specific one from ADP that you should try is arancia di capri, a very nice citrus great for warm weather.
    https://www.fragrantica.com/perfume/...apri-1685.html
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Blog Entries

My favourite unisex citrus-aromatic is Goutal's Eau du Sud. Try before you buy, because it's not sweet, but it does retain its freshness for hours, & cuts through heat & humidity beautifully.

Last year l discovered Tom Daxon's Laconia, a very natural-smelling lemon with sea salt. lf you're in the UK, you can get samples from Les Senteurs.

If you enjoy something more tropical, you can't go wrong with Creed's Virgin lsland Water.

And if you like fig, IMO the gold standard is Diptyque's Philosykos.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Alien by Thierry Mugler

Basenotes Plus

Hi Lemonbuns-

Welcome to Basenotrs!

If you enjoy original Miss Dior perhaps you would like to try Diorella? The current version might work for you, but I would encourage you to seek out the vintage. Vintage Miss Dior is my favorite perfume but I wear vintage Diorella very frequently in the summer.

I also like Sisley’s Eau de Campagne in the summer, because it lasts well and does become sweetly melon-y or aquatic. But it is very herbal and green.
    Currently wearing: Alliage by Estťe Lauder

Seconding especially Cipresso di Toscana, Mirto di Panarea, Arancia di Capri, but also adding particularly Mandorlo di Sicilia and Quercia Marina, along with most of the Blu Mediterraneo line anyway as highly versatile, tasteful and balanced unisex summery/warm weather choice

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    As for other along the lines that fresh and green but not sharp, some of the hermes do indeed come to mind, eg jardin sur le nil, that has also a progression greenish and sweetish to woody.

cacio
    Exactly what I was coming here to suggest.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Natori by Josie Natori

Afternoon everyone,
    Thank you for the suggestions. I took a troll through the shops again this afternoon and I’m still very fond of the Cipresso. The Hermes Jardin Sur le Nil is quite amazing too, despite the different openings both it and the AdP settle to a lovely woody faint warmth, with the Jardin keeping a fresher herbaceous floral tout much longer. At one point I found the Jardin horrible but I think my nose may have been overworked, as the dry down is lovely. I have a sampler to see if I want to live with it but I will chase down the AdP Cipresso and contemplate the Jardin.

The Goutal was also totally worth a scrape too, The Eau de Sud is lovely, it almost reminds me of Eau Sauvage but less earthy, the citrus glow lingers much longer. Also tried the Eau d’Hadrian which doesn’t fit the summery theme but I want to keep it on file as I am awfully taken with it.

From when I was shopping Dior, I have a sample of Diorella but I initially didn’t like How the flowers got so forward at one point in the drydown, and I was taken so much more with Miss Dior EdT at the time.That said when the weather turns scorching I want to give Diorella another try when I don’t have my winter nose on and see if it speaks differently.

Anyway thanks again for all the suggestions, the help here is much appreciated.
    Currently wearing: La PanthŤre by Cartier