Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o
    Basenotes Plus

Default Year in Review: Best underrated cheapie releases of 2019

I'm always on the lookout for an underrated cheapie. What are some the best and underrated cheapie releases of 2019 (or 2018 or 2017, something relatively recent).
    I would say $65 and below would qualify as a cheapie, but that is obviously relative so that number is not set in stone.
    Last edited by Fragrant Vagrant; 19th January 2020 at 12:33 PM.
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Year in Review: Top 5 best & underrated cheapie releases of 2019

One that comes to mind is Encre de Vigne by Les Senteurs Gourmandes less than $50 for 100ml.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Year in Review: Best underrated cheapie releases of 2019

Oh wow I've never heard of that house before. The notes look really interesting!
    Are there other fragrances that you would recommend from their lineup?

Do you consider a 65 dollars worth perfume cheapie?

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    These days , yes
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Cialenga by Balenciaga

Basenotes Plus

It is definitely a relative number. However my main reason for saying $65 and under is because new releases are often not marked down or available at Grey Market prices for a period after the release. Therefore a "Cheapie" that was released in 2019 for $65 may very well be available at substantial discount in 2020.

All Is Beautiful

L’erbolio Meharees

Amazing scent. For maybe 35 bucks us$ on eBay.

Sorry I misposted. This was released a few years before 2019.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

I've actually been looking to get ahold of L'erbolio Mirto but it seems it was discontinued. What does Meharees smell like?

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrant Vagrant View Post
    I've actually been looking to get ahold of L'erbolio Mirto but it seems it was discontinued. What does Meharees smell like?
    A bit like LADDM by Tauer but more austere.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

This is a thread I will be watching for I am a frugal man.

Basenotes Plus

I like a good quality cheap fragrance. Would this be $65 retail, or discounted? Grey market under $65? Thats a lot.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Oh wow I've never heard of that house before. The notes look really interesting!
    Are there other fragrances that you would recommend from their lineup?
    I own all of their releases. The vanilla combo scents are nice if you like vanilla and the oud combo scents are also nice if you like oud. I personally think for the price and size, they're a good deal.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    I like a good quality cheap fragrance. Would this be $65 retail, or discounted? Grey market under $65? Thats a lot.
    I'm not married to the number $65. I was sort of using it as general standard.

What does Meharees smell like?
    L'Erbolario Meharées became famous for being a smell-alike for Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Freed from BN Institution

One that comes to mind is 40 Rogue by Rogue Perfumery, it has a very vintage feel (Non-IFRA) influenced at a very affordable price.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Although it's about $60, which I wouldn't call a "cheapie," the new Rochas Moustache Eau de Parfum is awesome, and released in very late 2018.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    One that comes to mind is 40 Rogue by Rogue Perfumery, it has a very vintage feel (Non-IFRA) influenced at a very affordable price.
    Isnt that over the price threshhold? Isnt it like $75 for a 50ml? I thought id seen Manny raised his prices a bit. Heck, id think Fougere L'aube if Rogue is in play. Rogue is pretty cool stuff.

My recomendation is D&G K. I like it. It lasts really well on me. Not some kind of bury your nose and analyse scent, but more of a workhorse ambiance flavor.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Isnt that over the price threshhold? Isnt it like $75 for a 50ml? I thought id seen Manny raised his prices a bit. Heck, id think Fougere L'aube if Rogue is in play. Rogue is pretty cool stuff.

My recomendation is D&G K. I like it. It lasts really well on me. Not some kind of bury your nose and analyse scent, but more of a workhorse ambiance flavor.
    Given the kinds of ingredients that are put into the fragrance and comparing it to prices of other fragrances of that quality I would consider that on the cheap end of things even if it's $10 over $65. All of the Rogue bottles are at very affordable prices and he does offer special discount prices at certain times of the year.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Most of the best cheapies around nowadays were released several years ago, if not decades.
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

I have been wondering about that one. I own Fougere L'aube and Mousse Illuminee and love them both. I am wary about vintage inspired fragrances as it is quite hit or miss for me. How would you describe 40 Rogue (which is being discontinued and is only available at Luckyscent).

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Although it's about $60, which I wouldn't call a "cheapie," the new Rochas Moustache Eau de Parfum is awesome, and released in very late 2018.
    I've been eyeing that one but it seems no longer available or at least very hard to find.

Given the kinds of ingredients that are put into the fragrance and comparing it to prices of other fragrances of that quality I would consider that on the cheap end of things even if it's $10 over $65. All of the Rogue bottles are at very affordable prices and he does offer special discount prices at certain times of the year.
    I would agree that there is merit to the idea that based on the composition or ingredients used (naturals and absolutes versus aroma chemicals) a higher priced fragrance can be considered a "Cheapie".
    Ideally I'm looking for something that is not just a relative cheapie but an absolute one as well.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Most of the best cheapies around nowadays were released several years ago, if not decades.
    It does seem that way. Conversely, that could be an indication that there are many underrated cheap fragrances that have been released in recent years. After all, were all the best cheapie gems recognized immediately upon their release?

All those L'Erbolario fragrances on ebay come with a hefty shipping charge, so probably closer to $45-$50 USD.

Another, more speculative way to ask this question might be: what of the 2019 crop will end up becoming grey market cheapies? I.e., stuff that's selling for full retail now, but will inevitably come down quite a bit. I'm thinking something like Montblanc Explorer, which started the year around $100 and ended up around $20 on FragranceNet around the holidays. I can think of a few from Gucci that I'd definitely go for if they fell under $50: Memoire d'Une Odeur, Gucci Bloom/Acqua di Fiori, Gucci Guilty Oud.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

I have been wondering about that one. I own Fougere L'aube and Mousse Illuminee and love them both. I am wary about vintage inspired fragrances as it is quite hit or miss for me. How would you describe 40 Rogue (which is being discontinued and is only available at Luckyscent).

I would agree that there is merit to the idea that based on the composition or ingredients used (naturals and absolutes versus aroma chemicals) a higher priced fragrance can be considered a "Cheapie".
    Ideally I'm looking for something that is not just a relative cheapie but an absolute one as well.
    To me 40 Rogue is a bit complex. I will say that it has an aromatic feel to it skewing slightly in the green direction - lots of green notes along with some aldehydes, florals, and citrus that is met by oak moss and musk at the base. At the very least get a sample of it. I would recommend getting a sample set of the entire line, they're all worth trying.

Basenotes Plus

2C137FB4-C069-4A43-85C7-EA13FC236A60.jpg
    Aramis Tobacco Reserve (2018)

Hands down this is arguably the one to beat. While not exactly underrated (by anyone who’s tried it) it has stayed pretty much under the radar...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 20th January 2020 at 01:54 AM.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Junkie

The only thing that comes on my mind is Montblanc Explorer - I think you can get 100ml for around 50 EUR

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    The only thing that comes on my mind is Montblanc Explorer - I think you can get 100ml for around 50 EUR
    Good one. Though, depending on who you talk to, I don't know if it's underrated anymore. I think it started off that way but has slowly gained a good amount of steam.

Anyway, to me, Boss the Scent is underrated and a good cheapie to get. Look for it's 4 flankers. Intense, Private Accord, Parfum Edition, or Absolute.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Yeah, I'd say anything under $1 a ml is a cheapie.

The best deals are probably the "clones" (Samba Skin for Men is an example, as it's quite close to Pure Havane), so it doesn't matter when they were released - you just have to enjoy the scent being cloned. Otherwise, to me, the dollar store scents are the best deals, as they allow me to own a type of scent I would never spend more than a few dollars on. I guess if you like plenty of ambroxan, though, there may be more than a few scents that meet your criteria. LOL.

Possibly also Zara Norrland EDP