Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o

Default Re: Why do some people hate fragrance this much?

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    IMHO, i think the lady’s overly dramatic behavior was rude. It’s poor manners to show disgust for another person in such a public way.
    They were both rude. It's poor manners to show such lack of consideration for others and heavily spray perfume, especially when you know you will be in close, enclosed spaces.

I went to the post office the other day after I had generously applied Dior Homme Intense and a guy wearing a high vis vest, carrying a helping hand grabber (thus I think his job might have been picking up litter), was in front of me in the queue, turned around and gave me a weird look.

He didn't leave the queue unfortunately but it's giving me ideas.

Too much and too many synthetics, and what pluran said.

Some kids on the train the other day were wearing Sauvage and this dude comes on who was a straight up drug dealer (in Phoenix where I live you can always spot them by their backpacks and gang tattoos coupled with rusty bmx bikes) and he goes up to the kids who were in college and goes “y’all put on too much axe body spray today” and walked away.

Personally I think that’s the best way to deal with someone who overdosed their fragrance on a cramped train.

A lady covering her face is keeping it to herself. It’s not passive aggressive. It’s the way she deals with it.

I’ve seen people straight up spray perfume on people they thought smelled bad. THAT to me is rude.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by rmm.0811 View Post
    I was just in the train and there was the most gorgeous (albeit beastly strong) smell of Aventus (not sure it was a clone or the real thing). (London, UK)

Anyway a lady stood there with a cloth covering her mouth and nose ... in utter disgust.

So I’m curious to understand what the mechanism or general reasons are for some people to hate fragrance this much?
    What I think sometimes w certain people , it is not per se an utter disgust towards the fragrance you or I wear, but an excuse for them to make some sort of negative expression towards us (trying to pinpoint something to criticize about us openly). Someone above put it pretty well .. "a crybully" ..but to impress that upon us when she can altoghether avoid it. but puts herself in 'harms' way just to play victim?
    Unless you have something that smells really bad. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you dont, and wear fragrance much like most of us.

This one lady at my work who is in this cubicle down the aisle from me ( i am in an open area /IT workspace area) down one path of where she has three different paths to go out from to get to any elevator. She always walks by my path and then first looks at me in the eye, and when i look at her, she quickly covers her mouth and coughs several times into her hands. At first I thought , ok just coincidence. But she has done that perhaps about a half dozen times already . Always making a decision to come down my area to pass by and then looking at me and coughing and covering her mouth.

The way I see this above is, why come by my path if it is affecting you or the smell is making you cough and making an averse reaction? Shouldnt she just avoid coming down this way? But she wants to show that to me. (I dont wear too much that it will overwhelm the whole office space, and there are plenty of other people here who wear fragrances more than I do in terms of concentration...and it is not like im wearing some hard-wearing Amouage or some obscure niche lol..just some TF noir extreme, grey vetiver, ck and such)
    Parfum de Marly Oajan
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by debussychopin View Post
    What I think sometimes w certain people , it is not per se an utter disgust towards the fragrance you or I wear, but an excuse for them to make some sort of negative expression towards us (trying to pinpoint something to criticize about us openly). Someone above put it pretty well .. "a crybully" ..but to impress that upon us when she can altoghether avoid it. but puts herself in 'harms' way just to play victim?
    Unless you have something that smells really bad. But I will give you the benefit of the doubt that you dont, and wear fragrance much like most of us.

This one lady at my work who is in this cubicle down the aisle from me ( i am in an open area /IT workspace area) where she has three different paths to go out from to get to any elevator. She always walks by my path and then first looks at me in the eye, and when i look at her, she quickly covers her mouth and coughs several times into her hands. At first I thought , ok just coincidence. But she has done that perhaps about a half dozen times already . Always making a decision to come down my area to pass by and then looking at me and coughing and covering her mouth.

The way I see this above is, why come by my path if it is affecting you or the smell is making you cough and making an averse reaction? Shouldnt she just avoid coming down this way? But she wants to show that to me. (I dont wear too much that it will overwhelm the whole office space, and there are plenty of other people here who wear fragrances more than I do in terms of concentration)
    Call me childish, but a taste of their own medicine would be in order, IMO. Just do the same thing back to them, only take it to level 12. Then ask them how it feels?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Ombré Leather by Tom Ford

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    They were both rude. It's poor manners to show such lack of consideration for others and heavily spray perfume, especially when you know you will be in close, enclosed spaces.
    Exactly right.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Call me childish, but a taste of their own medicine would be in order, IMO. Just do the same thing back to them, only take it to level 12. Then ask them how it feels?
    not worth it. Not worth my time and effort she is not important to me , but i was amused whenever i see it.
    Parfum de Marly Oajan
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

I live in New York.
    Everyone on the train—especially at rush hours—should be seen, smelled, heard, felt, and regarded as little as possible so that we can all just get on with our miserable commutes.
    Currently wearing: Fume by Hendley Perfumes

Dependent

To avoid any confrontation, the practical rule of thumb is to go easy on the sprays, max 2-3

Quote Originally Posted by debussychopin View Post
    not worth it. Not worth my time and effort she is not important to me , but i was amused whenever i see it.
    Another option that I would consider is to ask them to stop stalking you. And that you're creeped out by their infatuation with you, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    I smell like cheese
    Weird thing to brag about.

I'm not a woman but once this guy came to a club and most of reeked like 15 sprays of Aventus . Had to go to the other side of the club and i could still smell it . It is horrible . Now i have a PTSD everytime i smell Aventus

Quote Originally Posted by UncleBuck View Post
    Weird thing to brag about.
    I've never said that though -- that's cheating

Personally I've got quite a craving for a blue stilton and sheep's wool perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Personally I've got quite a craving for a blue stilton and sheep's wool perfume.
    this is literally what a nyc subway car smells like after a winter rain
    Currently wearing: Fume by Hendley Perfumes

I’m not surprised. I’ve never met a woman that likes Aventus. I’m not sure where this idea came from that it drives women wild.
    I've met plenty...
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Some people happen to be very sensitive. Personally, even though I like and wear colognes,I am sensitive to some other colognes/perfumes,especially sweet scents. It does not even have to be a cologne or perfume. It could be a certain air freshener or any one of a number of things.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayberry2 View Post
    Some people happen to be very sensitive. Personally, even though I like and wear colognes,I am sensitive to some other colognes/perfumes,especially sweet scents. It does not even have to be a cologne or perfume. It could be a certain air freshener or any one of a number of things.
    We can and should all admit that some cheap stuff, or even some super sweet ones, can be really unpleasant. Especially if you have to be exposed to it for hours or daily. Fortunately, if it's that bad, the wearer will eventually realize that and won't wear something that bad....they'll just move on over to another bad one instead.

^^ If I can't stand a certain scent I have to get away from it quickly. I could not tolerate it for even close to a few hours. Also these days it seems more people are chemically sensitive, much more so then in years past. (I think I am to a degree). I used to not be.I don't know why, maybe much harsher chemicals are used nowadays. And I am not even talking about perfumes. And yeah, cheap and sweet and also too floral and I have to run the other way.

mUsT hAvE bEeN a 2019 baTcH

Maybe she was feeling sick. Maybe she was nauseated by the train movement. Maybe her tooth was aching. Maybe her mouth was with a bad smell. Maybe she didn’t like Aventus. Maybe...
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    To avoid any confrontation, the practical rule of thumb is to go easy on the sprays, max 2-3
    I prefer to announce myself with my fragrance and if someone finds it awful, it’s on them for not appreciating a beautiful scent. I will intrude your space invisibly via my perfume!
    No greater grief than to remember days of joy when misery is at hand
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I went to the post office the other day after I had generously applied Dior Homme Intense and a guy wearing a high vis vest, carrying a helping hand grabber (thus I think his job might have been picking up litter), was in front of me in the queue, turned around and gave me a weird look.

He didn't leave the queue unfortunately but it's giving me ideas.
    People give me odd looks sometimes as well and I always grin back at them.
    No greater grief than to remember days of joy when misery is at hand
    Currently wearing: Black Orchid by Tom Ford

I’m not surprised. I’ve never met a woman that likes Aventus. I’m not sure where this idea came from that it drives women wild.
    YouTube. Spreaded at Facebook.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

It can be fine line between being a bit intolerant and reminding people to be mindful of others.

I went to the cinema not too long ago and a homeless/slightly mental girl sneaked in a while after the movie had begun. Of course she sat right next to me and didn't smell particularly nice but I was too polite to move away and just tried to ignore the smell (and the funny noises). I didn't want to be rude to someone who seemed to struggle already and generally seemed harmless/fragile. If she simply would have been a person that has doused herself with perfume (one that's unpleasant to me at that volume) to let everybody know that she has entered the room, wanting everybody to smell her, no matter what, then I probably would have moved to another seat and commented on it.

Which reminds me of something else that happened recently. A local cinema had homeless people living next to the building and one of their cinemas smells quite strongly of urine now. My girlfriend had warned me as she had been there before. Basically quite a few of my recent cinema visits involved all too human smells. So yeah, perfume isn't the worst thing one can enounter.
    I find the bo lady more obnoxious.

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Maybe she was feeling sick. Maybe she was nauseated by the train movement. Maybe her tooth was aching. Maybe her mouth was with a bad smell. Maybe she didn’t like Aventus. Maybe...
    Maybe it's Maybelline.

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    IMHO, i think the lady’s overly dramatic behavior was rude. It’s poor manners to show disgust for another person in such a public way.
    The counter-argument is that it's even poorer manners to over-apply a cologne so heavily everyone in the room can not only smell it, but smell it strongly.

Shame is an underrated emotion. Like pain, it feels awful in the moment, but we learn from it. In the same way a child learns not to touch a hot stove by touching a hot stove, sometimes a person needs a moment of shame to lead them to question a behavior they might not have realized is offensive.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

She probably thinks the pineapple craze has been played out, is so 2015, etc.