Code of Conduct
o

Default Chanel No 5 EDP Splash

Has anyone heard of a Chanel No 5 EDP 100ml bottle being in splash form? I bought a bottle with a batch code from 2015 that's a splash and was surprised because I've normally only seen this formulation in spray bottles. Does anyone know anything about this? I bought it in 2015 from a reputable department store in Paris (can't remember which one!) so I can't imagine that it's a fake. Just wondering if it's a special thing or if it's normal from Chanel perfumes.
    "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."--F. Scott Fitzgerald

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Default Re: Chanel No 5 EDP Splash

I don't recall seeing No. 5 edp splashes in the last few years. It sounds special to me, especially if you like splashes.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I don't recall seeing No. 5 edp splashes in the last few years. It sounds special to me, especially if you like splashes.
    Hi Bavard--thanks for your response. Any advice on how to learn more about this? I emailed Chanel customer service this afternoon in hopes they can shed some light, but I haven't been able to find much else besides what you've told me today.
    Last edited by mermaidsetparfum1; 21st January 2020 at 02:27 AM.
    "So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."--F. Scott Fitzgerald

I don't recall seeing this in the US. But I would not be surprised. Chanel does many seasonal things with the No 5 franchise. I remember things like bath oil, spritz oil, various related products. Not to mention bottles of all sizes of the parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I don't recall seeing this in the US. But I would not be surprised. Chanel does many seasonal things with the No 5 franchise. I remember things like bath oil, spritz oil, various related products. Not to mention bottles of all sizes of the parfum.
    The US market had a version of No. 5 with gold speckles a year or two ago.

I think it's hard to find information about the limited releases of No. 5 because there are so many - red bottles, big bottles selling for thousands of dollars. They come and go, usually without a mention on this site.

Good luck getting information from Chanel. I don't think the people working there are that into it, and I don't think they're trained on historical releases - I wouldn't have high hopes for a good answer.

Often a perfume bottle mystery is deeper. In this case, if you bought it retail, its story sounds straight forward.

Chanel sells the perfume (parfum, extrait, extract) concentration of No. 5 and others in 15-ml splashes, normally. I think there's a limited release 50-ml splash of Coromandel parfum at the moment for $10,000. Then, of course, there are the grand extraits (big parfums), also sold for multiple thousands.

How does yours smell? I liked No. 5 edp around 2012, but more recently, around 2018, we got a batch that made me wonder if it was fake (it was bought retail in Montreal and looks perfect). Smelling more recently in the shops, No. 5 edp smells ok again - so I also have a No. 5 edp bottle I'm concerned about.

Chanel re-uses / recycles batch codes, maybe every 8 or 10 years, I think. The bottle you bought could have been older? I often see bottles a few years old in shops (if they're from Dior and I can easily de-code the batch numbers, or if they're from Chanel with an older naming or bottle style).

Wow, now you have me slightly worried that I bought a fake, although to my inexperienced nose it smells correct. I'll have to find a store near me and check! I've always trusted retail stores (especially authorized dealers) so if your bottle is really fake that's worrisome.

For more details, I bought it from the Marionnaud store on the Champs Elysees in October of 2016, and the batch code is 8601. It's possible I'm misremembering and I actually bought it from the same store in May of 2015 because I remember the entire store being on sale at the time, maybe for Mother's Day? It's my understanding that Marionnaud is an authorized dealer, and I can't imagine they would be selling fakes on the Champs Elysees, but what do I know?

Are you saying it's possible they would be selling a bottle that's even older, from say 2005 or 2007 ish? That doesn't seem likely to me because I thought authorized dealers were supposed to only sell new and current product (especially considering how busy shops on the Champs Elysees are I don't think they have much trouble moving product). But I don't really know how it works.

I did see something about the EDP from 1986 being a splash bottle like this, but it's certainly not that old!

I suspect you are correct and this is a straight forward case - it's an authentic bottle with maybe a Mother's Day special splash bottle.

In any case, I appreciate the information.

Quote Originally Posted by mermaidsetparfum1 View Post
    Wow, now you have me slightly worried that I bought a fake, although to my inexperienced nose it smells correct. I'll have to find a store near me and check! I've always trusted retail stores (especially authorized dealers) so if your bottle is really fake that's worrisome.

For more details, I bought it from the Marionnaud store on the Champs Elysees in October of 2016, and the batch code is 8601. It's possible I'm misremembering and I actually bought it from the same store in May of 2015 because I remember the entire store being on sale at the time, maybe for Mother's Day? It's my understanding that Marionnaud is an authorized dealer, and I can't imagine they would be selling fakes on the Champs Elysees, but what do I know?

Are you saying it's possible they would be selling a bottle that's even older, from say 2005 or 2007 ish? That doesn't seem likely to me because I thought authorized dealers were supposed to only sell new and current product (especially considering how busy shops on the Champs Elysees are I don't think they have much trouble moving product). But I don't really know how it works.

I did see something about the EDP from 1986 being a splash bottle like this, but it's certainly not that old!

I suspect you are correct and this is a straight forward case - it's an authentic bottle with maybe a Mother's Day special splash bottle.

In any case, I appreciate the information.
    I don't think you can buy a fake Chanel from a legitimate-seeming retail outlet in the US, France, or Canada, especially not on the Champs Elysees. The bottle I have has something off, but I don't think it's fake. It was a gift, to my girlfriend, from a patient who bought it in Montreal - it has to be real (I think!). But it's not great. It's too good to be fake - and it looks as real as it possibly could. Anyway, that's a bottle I have stored in a box in the basement that we got for free, and not your splash, which sounds lovely.

About them possibly selling something older, yes - I think that's possible. A thousand times more likely than them selling a fake!

I see older bottles all the time, four, five, six years old - Chanel changed Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste bottle styles in 2014 - you can still find those older bottles at retail shops - I've seen them in the last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I don't think you can buy a fake Chanel from a legitimate-seeming retail outlet in the US, France, or Canada, especially not on the Champs Elysees. The bottle I have has something off, but I don't think it's fake. It was a gift, to my girlfriend, from a patient who bought it in Montreal - it has to be real (I think!). But it's not great. It's too good to be fake - and it looks as real as it possibly could. Anyway, that's a bottle I have stored in a box in the basement that we got for free, and not your splash, which sounds lovely.

About them possibly selling something older, yes - I think that's possible. A thousand times more likely than them selling a fake!

I see older bottles all the time, four, five, six years old - Chanel changed Egoiste and Platinum Egoiste bottle styles in 2014 - you can still find those older bottles at retail shops - I've seen them in the last year.
    This is all fascinating and good to know - thanks!