Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
o

Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

I'm greek american and it really depends on where you live i think. Greeks in the 90's used to LOVE fragrances. It's the last decade or so that i've noticed that more and more people have become hostile towards it. Also just wanted to add that you can't compare a shampoo or deo spray with an edt or edp.
    A shampoo or soap scent will be gone in minutes or maybe a little longer.
    I've had dirty looks towards me on the metro many times or have had people change their seat. And im in no way an over sprayer.
    The offending fragrances:
    Live jazz. Young woman across from me makes a sour face and changes seat.
    Rive gauche. Young man on platform moves as far away as possible once he gets a whiff
    Rochas man. Young man sitting next to me jumps up and goes towards train door tells friend "my god his perfume is gross".
    Fleur de male. Very good looking young man tells his friend "my god his perfume is awful like a hospital.
    This was outside.
    D&G la force. Woman sitting next to me gives me the dirtiest look and changes seat.
    Body shop white musk. woman sitting next to me lifts her shirt collar to cover her face like an oxygen mask.
    Pure tonka/Pure wood. People rushing towards the front of the train as if an ebola attack has taken place.
    Le male. No complaints. People love it as if they see an old friend.
    Eros. Two women smile at me one asks me if im wearing eros and says i smell amazing.
    A*men. The biggest offender. People literally HATE it.
    It doesn't amaze me that it's become much softer lately.
    D&G pour homme (uk version).
    Women and men love this only good comments and people leaning in to smell it.
    Lolita lempicka masculin. Young man starts sneezing
    uncontrollably. Another man gets close and starts breathing in the scent. He says my god smells amazing!! Please tell me what you are wearing!
    I've read somewhere that anise has been banned.
    In general i have realized that people seems to dislike
    The gourmands or anything rich or "old school".
    Fragrances that are fresh or sporty do not offend because like luca turin says "they are made for people who don't like perfume".
    On a final note, i'd like to add that wearing Zino in public places may not go down too well.
    You have been warned.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

Quote Originally Posted by Foamywax View Post
    I'm greek american and it really depends on where you live i think. Greeks in the 90's used to LOVE fragrances. It's the last decade or so that i've noticed that more and more people have become hostile towards it. Also just wanted to add that you can't compare a shampoo or deo spray with an edt or edp.
    I've had dirty looks towards me on the metro many times or have had people change their seat. And im in no way an over sprayer.
    Rive gauche. Young man on platform moves as far away as possible once he gets a whiff
    Rochas man. Young man sitting next to me jumps up and goes towards train door tells friend "my god his perfume is gross".
    Fleur de male. Very good looking young man tells his friend "my god his perfume is awful like a hospital.
    This was outside.
    D&G la force. Woman sitting next to me gives me the dirtiest look and changes seat.
    Body shop white musk. woman sitting next to me lifts her shirt collar to cover her face like an oxygen mask.
    Pure tonka/Pure wood. People rushing towards the front of the train as if an ebola attack has taken place.
    Eros. Two women smile at me one asks me if im wearing eros and says i smell amazing.
    uncontrollably. Another man gets close and starts breathing in the scent. He says my god smells amazing!! Please tell me what you are wearing!
    Fragrances that are fresh or sporty do not offend because like luca turin says "they are made for people who don't like perfume".
    On a final note, i'd like to add that wearing Zino in public places may not go down too well.
    You have been warned.
    I don't think it's just fragrance though. It's everything isn't it?? People are really sensitive today. Everyone knows their rights and loves their personal space. I'm all for respect but can't help think its all gone a little too far. In the not so distant future I could actually see no human contact being enforced LOL.
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit (Vintage) - Dior
    Aventus/Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger/Fetish - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Naxos - Xerjoff
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Baraonda/Pardon - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Private Label/Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Layton/Pegasus - PDM

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    We had three older gentlemen walk by us and the worst Silent but Deadly gas emitted from their buttocks as they sauntered out of the office. It hit everyone like bricks. Our office director came out and asked what we could do to get rid of it. Opening windows was not an option and we pretty much evacuated the space for some time. He allowed Febreeze in the office and some scents afterwards as these gentlemen came often and farted often.
    By any chance would their names happen to be Larry, Curly & Moe? Those aren’t gentlemen, my dear. They’re just old farts. Gentlemen don’t fart; they ‘break wind’. Discreetly. And if it gets unpleasant they’d apologise for causing offence or offer to buy you a drink by way of an apology.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Junkie

This was outside.
    You have been warned.
    I LOVED this post. What a great answer to the question, "Does it get compliments?"

Hmm my post was a bit long.
    Where is the question "does it get compliments"??
    If you are being sarcastic let me know.
    Unless you mean the question posted by the op.
    You can always complain to the moderator if you don't like my taste in fragrances.

Basenotes Junkie

Foamywax

no problem with what you said and no slight or disrespect meant. To be clearer, I should just say that it's amusing when there are so many people obsessed with getting compliments that we have these experiences, equally unwelcome, from the other end of the spectrum.

Not from a personal viewpoint so far, although have also to admit that any personal experiences with deliberately fragrance free environments is limited in the first place anyway - at least currently

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    I don't think it's just fragrance though. It's everything isn't it?? People are really sensitive today. Everyone knows their rights and loves their personal space. I'm all for respect but can't help think its all gone a little too far. In the not so distant future I could actually see no human contact being enforced LOL.
    I've been recently reading up on Declinism bias. I think most of us (older, Gen-X and earlier) folks fall into this bias. I'm that way too towards music.
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.
    Currently wearing: Fleurissimo by Creed

I've been recently reading up on Declinism bias. I think most of us (older, Gen-X and earlier) folks fall into this bias. I'm that way too towards music.
    I admit I am this way with music. If I hear country music, I will flip tables.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Boring and nonsense people are the real problem. When they meet shit will gonna happen.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama
    Currently wearing: Bel Ami by Hermès

Dependent

Isn't perfume supposed to be fun ?

A lot of people seem to have forgotten what fun is these days, and spend too much time on hyper-alert for potential micro-aggressions,
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

I worked in one office where someone would poke holes in a bag of cauliflower and broccoli and microwave it and addition to some really bad smelling Indian food. Nothing against Indian food, most smells just fine, this particular dish was just vile though. Everyone else in the office complained about the smell of the food, but didn't go far with banning it. I like air popped popcorn, but I hate the smell of bagged fake-butter popcorn. When someone would pop it I would walk out and not return until it was mostly gone.

Speaking of office scents. I used to sit in the open area with the head secretary. We had three older gentlemen walk by us and the worst Silent but Deadly gas emitted from their buttocks as they sauntered out of the office. It hit everyone like bricks. Our office director came out and asked what we could do to get rid of it. Opening windows was not an option and we pretty much evacuated the space for some time. He allowed Febreeze in the office and some scents afterwards as these gentlemen came often and farted often.
    When you have the balls to crop dust a whole office like those old guys did...well, just tip your hat to them.

A shampoo or soap scent will be gone in minutes or maybe a little longer....
    You have been warned.
    I enjoyed reading your post: thank you.
    And agree with that warning about Zino!
    I dont wear perfume in public but a friend wore it and the reactions were hilarious.
    To see so many young women frown at him, poor kid!

Quote Originally Posted by mahmadna View Post
    This is what the Canadian Center for Occupational Health & Safety has to say about scent-free environment: https://www.ccohs.ca/oshanswers/hspr...cent_free.html
    Thank you for posting this link.
    It explains such environment(s) and the differences, very lucidly.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    By any chance would their names happen to be Larry, Curly & Moe? Those aren’t gentlemen, my dear. They’re just old farts. Gentlemen don’t fart; they ‘break wind’. Discreetly. And if it gets unpleasant they’d apologise for causing offence or offer to buy you a drink by way of an apology.
    These guys had about 6 PhD's between them, and average age of about 75, and were brought in for consultations because of their specialty and experience in the field. If it makes you feel any better another boss of mine had IBS and couldn't control his gas. He was deeply embarrassed by it and apologized all the time. I worked for a guy with narcolepsy too at one point. He'd just drop asleep at the oddest times. We'd just prod him and he would come to.
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.
    Currently wearing: Fleurissimo by Creed

Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by mahmadna View Post
    Thanks for sharing the link.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

This was outside.
    You have been warned.
    Wow. You either must be overapplying or people are really rude/sensitive where you live. I've noticed the odd weird look, possibly perfume related , but people generally are too polite to say something and/or worried about getting stabbed in the face.

Fantastic article in Psychology Today (from 2017) about this. Many great facts that flip negative perceptions on its head.
    Currently wearing: Beloved Man by Amouage