Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 78
o
  1. #1

    Default Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Greetings,

    I don't know how things are in America, but in Canada - more and more places are becoming scent free environments, which obviously means that perfume and cologne cannot be worn or they are at least hoping you won't wear any scent.

    Many workplaces are going this route probably because of oversprayers and for claimed health reasons.

    I am curious if people here are finding that they cannot wear fragrance as much as they want to or used to. Or do you still wear fragrance, but just enough that you smell it, but other people don't.

    Are you noticing the change when it comes to the area you live in when it comes to scent free workplaces and environments?

    Thanks,

    HM

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    305,208

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    I think it's very slowly getting that way in the States also. When I was actively involved in the day to day business of my firm, I had no rules for wearing fragrance. My almost two hundred employees could wear whatever they wanted if they chose to and we never had any problems that I was made aware of.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    I will not take it personally that inexplicably you moved your thread from General Discussion to Male Fragrance Discussion because it was the "wrong forum" after I responded to you in it.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

  4. #4
    Super Member 24 Faubourg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    380

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    I'm very into wine and in some wine spaces there are no fragrance rules because it interferes with getting the proper nose on the wine. I get the reason 100% but it does mean I have a few fragrance free days when I would otherwise wear it.

    I think scent free environments are difficult to keep up though as shampoo, soap etc all tend to have some kind of fragrance to them. It's hard to tell if someone is wearing a light perfume/cologne or just took a shower/washed their hair sometimes.

  5. #5
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,456

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    I don't think so. In all the years and all my experiences, I've never heard it being talked about, except in a radio station studio. Very tight, close quarters.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  6. #6
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    45,202

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I think it's very slowly getting that way in the States also. When I was actively involved in the day to day business of my firm, I had no rules for wearing fragrance. My almost two hundred employees could wear whatever they wanted if they chose to and we never had any problems that I was made aware of.
    Our company is a fragrance friendly environment. A substantial percentage wear perfumes and colognes and those who choose not to never complained.

    As for scent free environments, I haven't seen to many thus far and when I do come across them it hasn't been a significant problem.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  7. #7

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    I will not take it personally that inexplicably you moved your thread from General Discussion to Male Fragrance Discussion because it was the "wrong forum" after I responded to you in it.
    I didn't mean to post in that section and edited immediately. I never even saw your response. I hope we are still good.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I didn't mean to post in that section and edited immediately. I never even saw your response. I hope we are still good.
    I understand that you did not see my post. I don't understand why you think you posted in the wrong section in the first place.

    Anyway, I get your question and here was my response and thinking about it made me moody:

    I live about an hour from the border with Ontario and things are very puritanical around here. I respect that there are people who are allergic to some perfume notes; I am myself.
    But saying you are allergic to perfume is like saying you are allergic to food. You are allergic to some perfumes, not all perfumes.

    The utter hostility one encounters in places with signs on doors asking people not to wear fragrances that are not even primary health facilities strikes me as over the top, and, as I said, puritanical. Some people just do not like to smell scent at all and this excuses them easily so that the wearer is the villain and the smeller the victim.

    I wear scent in the privacy of my home. And burn scented candles. And take scented baths with scented soap, and scented showers with scented shower gels. And my cat never complains.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

  9. #9
    Nerf Herder
    Reventon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    403

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrome View Post
    I'm very into wine and in some wine spaces there are no fragrance rules because it interferes with getting the proper nose on the wine. I get the reason 100% but it does mean I have a few fragrance free days when I would otherwise wear it.

    I think scent free environments are difficult to keep up though as shampoo, soap etc all tend to have some kind of fragrance to them. It's hard to tell if someone is wearing a light perfume/cologne or just took a shower/washed their hair sometimes.
    This is a really great point. One of the young ladies I work with doesn't wear perfume, but usually has scented body lotions, hand lotions and the like that have a really great aroma.

    It's actually usually a good talking point between us, she'll be curious about my fragrance, I'll want to find out more about her grapefruit hand lotion (she has one in particular that is really natural smelling and vibrant). She's actually bought her boyfriend a couple of fragrances based on our conversations.

    Going scent free just seems overly precautionary and risk averse, unless there is one of the aforementioned technical reasons involved. Someone's always going to complain, why ruin the workday of a significant portion of your employees for the sake of a few? The "health risk" argument is just pure bullshit.

  10. #10
    Basenotes Plus
    speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,324

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    I’m thankful where I work this isn’t a issue, no one has complained where I work but I don’t usually bathe in fragrance 3-6 sprays depending on the fragrance used. I’m also not using super challenging fragrances when in my work setting so most won’t be offended, the space around me is quite large also filling my personal space is more likely than the building ha.

  11. #11
    Basenotes Institution rynegne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    15,866

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    How incredibly stupid. I've worked with people that smell terrible...BO, cigarettes, vape, cat piss and god knows what other types of nasty funk going on. But wearing a fragrance is offensive?

    What happened to talking to others? Hey I think I'm allergic to that perfume you're wearing. Do you mind not wearing that particular perfume or dialing it down?...Or...oh I don't know having a manager talk to the "offender" individually and rationally tell someone hey...maybe try wearing a little less?

    We live in a time where if one person is offended by something everyone has to suffer. It's getting ridiculous.
    MadHat Scents

    Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

  12. #12
    Basenotes Plus
    speckmann0706's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,324

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    How incredibly stupid. I've worked with people that smell terrible...BO, cigarettes, vape, cat piss and god knows what other types of nasty funk going on. But wearing a fragrance is offensive?

    What happened to talking to others? Hey I think I'm allergic to that perfume you're wearing. Do you mind not wearing that particular perfume or dialing it down?...Or...oh I don't know having a manager talk to the "offender" individually and rationally tell someone hey...maybe try wearing a little less?

    We live in a time where if one person is offended by something everyone has to suffer. It's getting ridiculous.
    Well said, I have a few BO contributers at work quite gross and the drinkers and smokers that come in odd how a fragrance would be less welcome than not bathing or smelling of your last drink or smoke lmao!

  13. #13

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Not really: have never encountered one!

  14. #14

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zilpha View Post
    I understand that you did not see my post. I don't understand why you think you posted in the wrong section in the first place.

    Anyway, I get your question and here was my response and thinking about it made me moody:

    I live about an hour from the border with Ontario and things are very puritanical around here. I respect that there are people who are allergic to some perfume notes; I am myself.
    But saying you are allergic to perfume is like saying you are allergic to food. You are allergic to some perfumes, not all perfumes.

    The utter hostility one encounters in places with signs on doors asking people not to wear fragrances that are not even primary health facilities strikes me as over the top, and, as I said, puritanical. Some people just do not like to smell scent at all and this excuses them easily so that the wearer is the villain and the smeller the victim.

    I wear scent in the privacy of my home. And burn scented candles. And take scented baths with scented soap, and scented showers with scented shower gels. And my cat never complains.
    Because I never post or read that section of the forum. I meant to post it in this section from the get go.

    As I mentioned, I think oversprayers may have contributed to this. With many modern offices being one big room where 50 people or more are working ala Google vs. people having their own individual offices and some privacy to work, perhaps it became too much to have all these different perfumes and colognes in one space.

    It is over the top and I am not sure that people are really following it anyway. As mentioned, even soap and shampoo can give off a scent, so are they really able to ensure a scent free zone. I don't think so.

  15. #15

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    How incredibly stupid. I've worked with people that smell terrible...BO, cigarettes, vape, cat piss and god knows what other types of nasty funk going on. But wearing a fragrance is offensive?

    What happened to talking to others? Hey I think I'm allergic to that perfume you're wearing. Do you mind not wearing that particular perfume or dialing it down?...Or...oh I don't know having a manager talk to the "offender" individually and rationally tell someone hey...maybe try wearing a little less?

    We live in a time where if one person is offended by something everyone has to suffer. It's getting ridiculous.

    Some have been making the case that fragrance can be toxic. Like breathing in second hand smoke.

  16. #16
    Dependent Slayerized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,529

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    Not really: have never encountered one!
    This; glad we don't have those (yet) in The Netherlands.
    I agree with rynegne's statement; more important to do something about unhygienic people plz.
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

  17. #17

    teardrop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    The south of England
    Posts
    17,400
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    l have never encountered one, & God forbid that the idea should ever catch on over here.

    l don't see how it can be achievable, given the valid point already made here that most people do use shampoo, body washes, detergents, deodorant, etc. And none of us want to smell people's B.O.!

    lnterestingly, in my workplace the staff toilets have a thingy rigged up that automatically sprays air freshener into the air every few minutes. l'd like to see them ban that before they ban me from wearing perfume!

    l have never had complaints about wearing perfume at work, but then l do try to apply discreetly, & only wear the really animalic stuff at home.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Ghost by Ghost

  18. #18
    Basenotes Institution rynegne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    15,866

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Doesn't seem like a founded argument for the proposition. People proposing and enforcing these types of regulations have little or no logic. I wish more people would do their own research and form their own opinions before blindly following these regulators into making actionable decisions based on nothing but a whim.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    Some have been making the case that fragrance can be toxic. Like breathing in second hand smoke.
    MadHat Scents

    Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

  19. #19
    Dependent Danny Mitchell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    4,456

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Where, exactly, is this an issue? I feel like we're discussing something that barely even exists.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

  20. #20
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    43,981

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Fortunately, it's not an issue where I'm located.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  21. #21

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Where, exactly, is this an issue? I feel like we're discussing something that barely even exists.
    Do a Google search - it exists big time. More and more work places are becoming scent free environments. I am glad that you are not experiencing this where you live.

  22. #22

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Personally speaking, I haven’t run into any issues concerning this. Though there are some people I work with who have posted “Fragrance Free Environment” and little signs with a red circle with a line through it nixng a picture of a perfume bottle. But I’ve never had any direct interaction with anyone about wearing fragrances to work. I also think these people with the signs on their door probably have a reasonable explanation for putting them up. Usually they’ve been driven to it by some obnoxious co-worker who continually over-sprays and gasses out the room. There’s nothing pleasant about being able to literally taste someone’s perfume 20 minutes after they’ve left the room. As they say: One bad apple...

    At the same time it’s no worse than someone who smokes in their car on break and comes back reeking of dirty cigarette butts, or the person who microwaves a salmon Lean Cuisine in the lunchroom and makes the place stink of hot fish for the rest of the day. In the end, you just have to accept all the bad smells you encounter throughout the day. If you start nitpicking you’re going to find a never ending list of things that smell bad and at some point there’s a good chance you’ll end up being hypocritical a couple of times yourself.

    Who’s eating egg salad?
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

  23. #23
    Dependent Monsieur Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Inhabitant of the Lower Rimparian Forest
    Posts
    4,358

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Never had to deal with such an environment

  24. #24
    Basenotes Junkie
    Funwithfrags's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Bury, UK
    Posts
    567

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    How incredibly stupid. I've worked with people that smell terrible...BO, cigarettes, vape, cat piss and god knows what other types of nasty funk going on. But wearing a fragrance is offensive?

    What happened to talking to others? Hey I think I'm allergic to that perfume you're wearing. Do you mind not wearing that particular perfume or dialing it down?...Or...oh I don't know having a manager talk to the "offender" individually and rationally tell someone hey...maybe try wearing a little less?

    We live in a time where if one person is offended by something everyone has to suffer. It's getting ridiculous.
    This.
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

  25. #25

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Ever since I've heard that you're not allowed to drink a beer in the park in Canada I was suspicious of the place USA as well, I believe.

    Luckily haven't encountered that here yet but it might not take long to catch on. The best part of one of my A&E visits was a lovely looking nurse wearing very nice perfume. Long may it continue.

  26. #26
    everyday i'm samplin'
    notspendingamillion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Middleof, Nowhere
    Posts
    2,049

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    My kids school is fragrance free. Had to shower before conferences. I told the teacher they were crampin my style.
    It’s tragic to think that heroic man’s great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    There’s nothing pleasant about being able to literally taste someone’s perfume 20 minutes after they’ve left the room.
    My company works with the sweetest, most professional vendor who is a great person. Dresses very well, extremely helpful. Her only fault: she wears so much perfume it lingers in the air in my building at least for half an hour, maybe longer, after she's gone.

    It is nuclear. Whatever she's wearing she needs to cut it by 70%.

  28. #28

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rüssel View Post
    Ever since I've heard that you're not allowed to drink a beer in the park
    My family and I actually saw a dude walking by the side of the road carrying an open bottle of Jack Daniel's yesterday at around 2 in the afternoon. He had to be high as a kite, because it was a (literally) high traffic area. Poor guy was probably in mid 20's, needed help obviously.

  29. #29

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My company works with the sweetest, most professional vendor who is a great person. Dresses very well, extremely helpful. Her only fault: she wears so much perfume it lingers in the air in my building at least for half an hour, maybe longer, after she's gone.

    It is nuclear. Whatever she's wearing she needs to cut it by 70%.
    And I’m sure you’d feel super awkward and uncomfortable speaking to her about that, right?

    This is why I think we’re seeing things like signs on doors advertising a fragrance free environment and things like that. People don’t want to single anyone out and potentially humiliate them by addressing them directly. The signs are sort of like hints without pointing the finger. I don’t think these signs are necessarily passive aggressive or intentionally hurtful, as it was suggested earlier.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

  30. #30
    Dependent Man Of The World's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    Essex - But born & bred in good old East London
    Posts
    2,083

    Default Re: Are Scent Free Environments Becoming A Problem For Fragrance Enthusiasts?

    Never come across it. Would be tragic if it ever happened. Not because I can't wear fragrance in certain places but because it would be the start of something utterly depressing. What would be next and how far would it go?? Big Brother!!
    All Time Favorites
    Fahrenheit (Vintage) - Dior
    Aventus/Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger/Fetish - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Naxos - Xerjoff
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Baraonda - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Private Label/Psychedelique - Jovoy
    Layton/Pegasus - PDM
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Naxos by Xerjoff




Similar Threads

  1. 'Fragrance-free' environments?
    By Ifti in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 16th April 2019, 07:58 AM
  2. why are so many fragrance enthusiasts so sexual
    By smellyliquid in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 20th May 2012, 07:00 PM
  3. Replies: 125
    Last Post: 9th February 2012, 10:22 PM
  4. Home Fragrance Enthusiasts!!! Candles! Fragrance oils! Let's talk!
    By Scentsamillion in forum Home Fragrance
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd July 2011, 11:54 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000