Code of Conduct
o

Default Chanel Sycomore EDT vs EDP

Hi all, I was wondering if there is a discernible difference in smell and quality between the EDT and EDP of Chanel Sycomore. If so what are the differences? Im also considering Hermessence Vetiver Tonka.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Chanel Sycomore EDT vs EDP

I own the original (EDT) and have smelled what's out there now, and to me, not much of a discernible difference, although I know that for others there is.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

HUGE difference to me. To my horror, they took all the fabulous smoke out of the EDP version. Also it's just generally weaker, and doesn't last as long as the original EDT. Go figure.

If you can't easily find the EDT you won't be disapointed with the EDP, they are pretty close.
    Currently wearing: Nobile by Gucci

I detect some difference, the EDP being smoother and less stark (which to me is a minus). But it's not day and night to my nose, and I am ok with edp as well, though I prefer the edt.

I like my vetivers fresh and zingy, so Vetiver Tonka is not for me. The tonka smooths things out. I personally much prefer Sycomore EDP then. It is smooth but at least preserves some of the vetiver character.

cacio

Thank you everyone for the replies. I guess im looking for a more smooth and spicy version of vetiver not necessarily the sharp lemon grass aspects.

Exactly this and what Cook.bot mentions about the smokiness being removed. I will chime in myself and add that the Eau de Parfum has a wonderful sandalwood note. It's almost like Chanel took the Eau de Toilette, cleaned the up vetiver a bit by removing the smokey undertones and added a little Bois des Iles or Egoiste which constitutes as a based...also gives this one a bit more of a Chanel signature IMO. Classic vetiver with that Chanel heart of sandalwood and rose. Because I have other dirtier/smokier vetiver fragrances I do prefer the Eau de Parfum from Chanel...because it feels more Chanel to me. I guess I'm in the minority

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I detect some difference, the EDP being smoother and less stark (which to me is a minus). But it's not day and night to my nose, and I am ok with edp as well, though I prefer the edt.

I like my vetivers fresh and zingy, so Vetiver Tonka is not for me. The tonka smooths things out. I personally much prefer Sycomore EDP then. It is smooth but at least preserves some of the vetiver character.

cacio
    MadHat Scents

Oud Gulab - Ruh Gulab, Taif Rose, Ambergris, Tobacco and Thai Oud

Quote Originally Posted by Cook.bot View Post
    HUGE difference to me. To my horror, they took all the fabulous smoke out of the EDP version. Also it's just generally weaker, and doesn't last as long as the original EDT. Go figure.
    +1

But you meant to say they took the smoke out of the EDT. :-)

While still recognizable as Sycomore, the EDT and EDP might as well be different fragrances. Among other things, the EDT's earthy texture, dark, smoky incense accord and maple leaves crisping on a bonfire aroma are gone.

The EDP is sweetened with ubiquitous vanillic molecules and feels powered by annoying, screechy, almost interminable modern synthetic woody aromachemicals. There is no real discernible texture.

A substantial reformulation, the EDP was designed to fit in with the mainstream, the hygienic Allure Hommes and Bleu de Chanels, etc. The EDT is full of character. It smolders. It's exquisite, natural, serene. I've used over 100mls of the EDT, and while still better than most, the EDP doesn't work for me.

Last edited by pluran; 22nd January 2020 at 12:07 AM.

As others said too, if you prefer smooth and spicy, then the EDP will work best for you. (And vetiver tonka should work as well, though I think that's too much in that direction.)

Vetiver Tonka is good enough, but it's too sweet, and that annoying nuttiness is more than I can handle.

I own the EDT and love love love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com
    Currently wearing: Royal Oud by Creed

Too bad about the prices now too..

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Scent Detective View Post

One of my favorite vetivers of all time. I'm thankful that I decided to keep all of my Sycomore EDT samples that I received from the SAs all those years ago, I have a nice supply of it to keep me going for a long while.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

I have not tested the EDT, but the EDP is incredible.
    Fig (not listed but i feel it), Vetiver, Cream...
    Addictive.
    Best,
    BruceB
    Currently wearing: Bogart by Jacques Bogart

Basenotes Plus

If you’ve never loved the EDT then it probably won’t matter.

While the EDP has that signature Chanel sandalwood backbone its absence or restrained presence in the original EDT made it a bolder more interesting composition for me with a smokier almost incense-like undercurrent. Perhaps the difference doesn’t particularly bother casual wearers but to lovers of the original it IS as starkly different as night and day. The EDT is easily among my top 3 vetiver scents but the EDP barely scrapes through to the top 10. IMO the discontinuation of the EDTs was a catastrophe- a huge disservice to fans of the house.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed