Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
o
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Default Re: Most clunky, ridiculous packaging award goes to

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    By Kilian - overpriced “coffin” boxes are ridiculous

Andy Tauer - metal boxes are too much

Serge Lutens - boxes that don’t close when sprayer in used on bottle instead of splash cap is extremely annoying.
    Completely agree.
    Currently wearing: Iris de Nuit by Heeley

By Kilian - overpriced “coffin” boxes are ridiculous

Andy Tauer - metal boxes are too much

Serge Lutens - boxes that don’t close when sprayer in used on bottle instead of splash cap is extremely annoying.
    Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    For me is Creed, they have the crappiest boxes and cheap caps, they need to learn from Jovoy!
    Agree with the above.
    Currently wearing: Cedrat Boise by Mancera

Worst sprayer - Mugler's A* Men rubber flasks. Back in the days when they were metal, the sprayer went down nice and easy. When they switched to rubber, there was no longer any gap between the sprayer and where it plunged down, making you have to press down rather hard to get it to spray. There's some guys that have gone so far as to take a knife and hack away the rubber flask outer shell just to get to the glass inside and make the sprayer mechanism easier to handle. Ridiculous what Thierry Mugler did to those bottles.

Worst bottle design - Le Male. Besides the design being tacky/juvenile, there's no real cap - just a half-ring that acts as a stopper from the sprayer being plunged down. That half-ring is awkward to take on/off, easy to lose, and offers no protection against evaporation that a proper cap is supposed to protect against.

Worst cap for the price - Creed. I have 2010-2015 Creed bottles (Aventus, GIT, Royal Oud) and some of the caps click on - some of them just sort of, "sit" on top. Almost all of the caps have enough play in them to rattle around the sprayer when you move the bottle around. A few of my Aventus caps have started to crack vertically, even though I've been gentle with them. Inexcusable for the price.

Worst name - By Kilian. "Hey guys, I got Straight to Heaven, by By Kilian. Isn't isn't It it Neat neat?"

prada’s l’homme lineup has huge boxes, which could have easily been made at 1/3 of their size

Basenotes Plus

How could I have forgotten this?? It used to drive me bonkers!!
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I like outlandish packaging. The alternative is something like the latest Guerlain lookalike bottles, which only their accountants love. Sorry, but for a luxury fragrance house, those generic bottles are a real turn-off.
    Agree with this.

I think overkill would be Orlov. A velvet lined hard shelled box that slides into another hard shell box, which then has a sleeve that goes over that. But I love it.

Another would be Odriu Supercilium. The box is a clear plastic box. The fragrance comes in a burlap sack, which is then placed into the plastic box. The bottle itself is a metal jug. Very odd, but since it is unique / original, it is good with me.

Current Summer Favorites:

1. Xerjoff - Nio
    2. Tom Ford - Rive d’Ambre
    3. Dior - Homme Cologne 2013
    4. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    5. Armani - Code Sport Athlete
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Dior - Homme Sport 2008
    8. by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    9. Ermenegildo Zegna - Sicilian Mandarin
    10. Creed - Pure White Cologne

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    But I find it cool despite being ergonomically bad to use.
    Yep! But a real nuisance to use!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mustardsalad View Post
    Worst sprayer - Mugler's A* Men rubber flasks. Back in the days when they were metal, the sprayer went down nice and easy. When they switched to rubber, there was no longer any gap between the sprayer and where it plunged down, making you have to press down rather hard to get it to spray. There's some guys that have gone so far as to take a knife and hack away the rubber flask outer shell just to get to the glass inside and make the sprayer mechanism easier to handle. Ridiculous what Thierry Mugler did to those bottles.

Worst bottle design - Le Male. Besides the design being tacky/juvenile, there's no real cap - just a half-ring that acts as a stopper from the sprayer being plunged down. That half-ring is awkward to take on/off, easy to lose, and offers no protection against evaporation that a proper cap is supposed to protect against.

Worst cap for the price - Creed. I have 2010-2015 Creed bottles (Aventus, GIT, Royal Oud) and some of the caps click on - some of them just sort of, "sit" on top. Almost all of the caps have enough play in them to rattle around the sprayer when you move the bottle around. A few of my Aventus caps have started to crack vertically, even though I've been gentle with them. Inexcusable for the price.

Worst name - By Kilian. "Hey guys, I got Straight to Heaven, by By Kilian. Isn't isn't It it Neat neat?"
    Just... one issue with this post. I don't know where or why this came about, or how it's still being perpetuated despite being false... but caps are NOT there to stop evaporation. Unless you're literally only talking about inside of the atomizer head or whatever (even then...).

Caps are solely for aesthetic reasons and protection of the atomizer mechanism (fall damage, etc. Blunt trauma.). That's it.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    Currently wearing: 1 Million by Paco Rabanne

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Just... one issue with this post. I don't know where or why this came about, or how it's still being perpetuated despite being false... but caps are NOT there to stop evaporation. Unless you're literally only talking about inside of the atomizer head or whatever (even then...).

Caps are solely for aesthetic reasons and protection of the atomizer mechanism (fall damage, etc. Blunt trauma.). That's it.
    Ah, ok.

My other points still stand.

not right, in the head

....................................... Central PA
    Blog Entries

Natori by Natori.

Blog Entries

Xinu and Majda Bekkali are both very bulky, but i think the worst, although beautiful are those egg shaped ones that are upside down, I forgot the name of the brand, maybe House of Oud?
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

Bulgari Black!

Min - New York

It may have changed of course, but their bottles used to be packaged in lacquered containers the size of small suitcases!