Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
o
    Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Default Re: Latest Giorgio Armani - Acqua Di Gio Profondo!

Quote Originally Posted by The People's Champ View Post
    I'm sorry to note but honestly I think the community is pretty bad when I see " oh it smells like _____", when 9 times out of 10 it just doesn't so that's why I always reserve any opinion until I try it for myself. That's just been my experience tho however, but the smells like comparisons never seem to ever match up.I have Office and I'll compare the 2 but I'm willing to bet that they dont ,I dont mind Office but it's no where near the quality that GA puts out with their Acqua Di Gio line.
    Yep, if there’s even one relatively prominent note in common or that is similar people leap in with the “it smells just like...”
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.
    Currently wearing: Dunhill Icon by Dunhill

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    A quick synopsis of that review ^^^^

Similar to the original, but fresher. He compares it to Absolu i.e. the fruity aquatic one. He says it is fresher and more aquatic and more youthful - and that it is not as good as Profumo, Essenza, and the original. It is generic and reminds him of Invictus, too. However he also prefers it to Invictus or Absolu, despite saying they share similarities, as it has more of the AdG DNA. He then waxes lyrical about the original and why you should try that above all others if you haven't already.

Not sure what to make of that. I assumed a fresher almost barbershop type take on the aquatic - something herbal, a bit like Acqua di Parma or Costa Azzurra by TF, bu with the salty AdG DNA. Now it sounds like another...well, it sounds a bit like Absolu rebranded, but we'll have to wait and see. It does feel like it will be marketed much better and more visibly than either of the Absolus, and frankly the bottle is far more fitting for what would be a mass seller and more appropriate to the aquatic fragrance inside, but perhaps it might be fair to think of it as Essenza's replacement if it is really going down the fresh route?
    It smells nothing like Invictus to my nose and definitely not like Absolu. It smells much more like the original than what Absolu does (which to me smells like a whole other fragrance than the OG). Profondo is more like a modernized version of the OG with far better performance. I've a feeling I'll be wearing it a lot this summer!

Quote Originally Posted by BlueLux View Post
    It smells nothing like Invictus to my nose and definitely not like Absolu. It smells much more like the original than what Absolu does (which to me smells like a whole other fragrance than the OG). Profondo is more like a modernized version of the OG with far better performance. I've a feeling I'll be wearing it a lot this summer!
    Very happy to hear! I'm so pumped to buy a bottle

I’m curious because to my nose, Absolu WAS the more youthful, fresh and modern version of the original. I’m curious how they’ve made a scent somewhere between the two and made it different enough, unless there’s different notes that add something completely new.

Based on what I’m seeing it’s like AdGs ‘blue’ scent.
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."

Thanks. I'm glad to hear that as I was hoping it would be as you say.

Honestly really looking forward to trying this. Anyone know if it's for sale anywhere in the UK? Or somewhere online in Europe?
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Morillas, the master of mediocre perfumery.
    No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Hoover View Post
    No thanks.
    Lol good one

No thanks.
    Excluding GG Absolute. That's a home run. But he usually only gets singles or doubles.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Tobacco Oud by Tom Ford

No thanks.
    He surely has a team around him as well. I fail to believe that Morillas spend anything more than a few hours - at most - altogether actually creating Jeremy's fragrance. But then I'm not sure how the industry works at that level. I would assume he has a team though.

And, for me, the AdG line is stellar. There isn't a single dud and if they are mediocre, they're absolutely in the upper tier of that category.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Excluding GG Absolute. That's a home run. But he usually only gets singles or doubles.
    IMO AdG Profumo is also a home run. Maybe that’s just me...

Profumo is a home run, the original, absolu and absolu instinct despite what any haters says, light blue intense is a major home run, blvgari black scents are great for the most part, he has a great lineup of some amazing scents.

Profondo I'm sure will follow suit

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle08 View Post
    I’m curious because to my nose, Absolu WAS the more youthful, fresh and modern version of the original. I’m curious how they’ve made a scent somewhere between the two and made it different enough, unless there’s different notes that add something completely new.

Based on what I’m seeing it’s like AdGs ‘blue’ scent.
    A blue fragrance for them wouldn’t be so bad, I have yet to try this it sounds decent my nose will be the deciding factor though. As long as it isn’t boring and simple I should like it.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by The People's Champ View Post
    Profondo I'm sure will follow suit
    Hoping for a good result.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

No thanks.
    I'm really curious why this is an opinion. There are a lot of phenomenal scents to his name, and yes more than enough insipid stuff too, but that does not make for being a 'master of mediocre perfumery'. In a cursory review of post related to Morillas here at BN, I don't see any real outright, dismissive criticism until Jeremy Fragrance became a thing.

I'm new to the so called communities but not new to buying frags and I'm blown away by the catty agendas that so many have over this stuff, i realize some get passionate but it seems so desperate to me. I get Jeremy's prices were nuts but still it's his bottle, he could do whatever and we all don't know how wed go forward with pricing if we were in his shoes so I try not to judge , disappointing yes but it doesnt merit the overall disdain that I see people flying around. And like you said, now the bandwagon seems to attack Albertos work when that was never a thing at all in the past. And I also can't stand to see such ignorance to insult someone that has a pretty damn nice resume but one that is the biggest selling frag of all time , that is so far from mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    IMO AdG Profumo is also a home run. Maybe that’s just me...
    I don't disagree with that at all.

Profumo is indeed a home run!
    I wonder how Profondo is compared with AdG Essenza edp; anyone?
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Alain Delon: Iquitos
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Profumo is indeed a home run!
    I wonder how Profondo is compared with AdG Essenza edp; anyone?
    Not close at all. Essenza to me is green, like PDM Galloway. Profondo is aquatic. Been wearing it now for 3 days. Enjoying it more and more myself, very nice for office and casual wear.

The most reviews on fragrantica say it is very heavy on Bleu de Chanel base (a mix of BdC and AdG). Is it true?
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    The most reviews on fragrantica say it is very heavy on Bleu de Chanel base (a mix of BdC and AdG). Is it true?
    Again, not close at all. Not to my nose at least. Don't understand this comparision, really.

Even though I have never been that big on "Giorgio Armani Acqua Di Gio Pour Homme" I really respect it & consider the Acqua Di Gio line to be very well done! The original is a classic, I love Profumo & thought Essenza was great as well! Not sure why Essenza was discontinued but oh well! Absolu on the other hand I felt strayed a bit too far from the Acqua Di Gio DNA.. It only makes sense that Armani use Acqua Di Gio to get in on the current blue trend going on in the world of mens fragrance.. I have yet to smell this new Acqua Di Gio Profondo but I am quite excited to smell it! By the sound of the notes & the reviews I have seen it sounds like it is a lot closer to the original while adding a new modern touch? If that is the case I am sure I will love it because in my opinion even though the original is now weaker than water it still has the best scent out of the entire line! Can't wait to try it!

I bet it's a great fragrance, but they're so late to the party. The benefit of that, I guess, is that they know what the rest have done, now they're ready to top them.

I have samples on the way. Could have opted for a bottle but I am gladly mopping up the decently-priced bottles of Essenza as and when they pop up on ebay, so I'm in no rush to add AdGs to my life unless I really like it, and other than Absolu Instinct being limited in its release I'm not sure there's one I prefer to Essenza that justifies it yet. Looking forward to it. After 12 and a bit months of fragrance trying and buying I could probably meet about 60% of my fragrance needs from the AdG line if I really wanted to (Essenza for summer and sometimes work, Profumo for casual and nights out, Absolu Instinct for cooler weather and evenings) and adding this in the mix just adds to that sense of 'why am I even bothering when Armani is making scents this good?'.

Anyway...conflicting reports at the moment about what it is/isn't. BdC or not, same as the original or not. Would be keen to hear reviews/appraisals of the scent as and when people try it!

Yea I dont trust any comparison until I try it for myself as it seems people are so quick to compare when 9 times out of 10 they barely smell like what they're compared to .

I honestly am dying to get a bottle of this

Basenotes Junkie

Tested it yesterday. Was very underwhelming. Sprayed it on a tester strip - a chemical mess, reminded me Davidoff's Cool Water. Not scent wise, but chemical-mess wise. Couldn't stand it. Get yourself Profumo instead

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

I guess it's just a matter of time then before it makes the leap across the Atlantic.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Tested it yesterday. Was very underwhelming. Sprayed it on a tester strip - a chemical mess, reminded me Davidoff's Cool Water. Not scent wise, but chemical-mess wise. Couldn't stand it. Get yourself Profumo instead
    Eesh, that doesn't sound good.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I guess it's just a matter of time then before it makes the leap across the Atlantic.
    I'm sure it will be there soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    Eesh, that doesn't sound good.
    I had that often when testing a tester strip but on my skin itself most scents are perceived and smell completely different to my nose.
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Alain Delon: Iquitos
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille