Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Can ppl tell if you're wearing a cheap fragrance?

While there are perfumes that smell like their price to normal people, for the most part normal ppl can't tell that and they probably wouldn't care to. In my experience they value it by category rather than quality (probably due to an untrained nose that can't decipher the full beauty of it) to most ppl citrus perfumes smell cheap and darker sweeter creamier heavy perfumes smell more expensive.
    Currently wearing: London by Tom Ford

Depends on the fragrance. My neighbour wore a cheap fragrance the other day. It smelled terrible and made me sneeze. Many of the super cheap fragrances I've tried smelled horrible as well, the stuff you find in pound stores, supermarkets or that people bring back from holiday sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by blackaroma View Post
    In my experience they value it by category rather than quality (probably due to an untrained nose that can't decipher the full beauty of it) to most ppl citrus perfumes smell cheap and darker sweeter creamier heavy perfumes smell more expensive.
    Interesting. Can you further divide the categories into specific genres, or is it generally light/ citrus vs. dark/ heavy?

Classics for the win.

They sure notice when your wearing a full on old school masculine!
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

There are scents that smells really good for the price (4711 and ferrari bright neroli comes to mind right now)

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    They sure notice when your wearing a full on old school masculine!
    They definitely do .
    Even a good old school after shave does pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by Scents And Sense View Post
    This question can be seen two ways:

1. A fragrance sold at a cheap price
    2. A fragrance using low quality cheap materials.
    These often overlap.

For example, Sauvage is quite pricey, but many people (non-fragheads included) see it as a cheap smelling synthetic mess. On the other hand, Mitsouko cost me like $30, and it uses higher quality ingredients than many fragrance 10 times it's price, and it smells that way. However many cheap fragrances use cheap aromachemicals; sometimes one can tell, sometimes one can't. Cheap fragrances don't always use cheap aromachemicals, but sometimes they do. Also, expensive prices don't automatically mean high quality materials. However, a high price or low price tag can be a placebo and subconsciously trick people into perceiving a fragrance as using high quality or low quality fragrance materials.
    Quoted for truth

Los Angeles, CA- too damn close to Scent Bar

I don't think there is a simple answer here. I don't think of myself as particularly snooty, but on occasion I run across someone wearing a scent that does just smell like it's really cheap.

I think most of us here tend to gravitate towards scents that are pretty well regarded by us and the population at large regardless of price.

That being said, some current designer scents smell tacky to me. INVICTUS and SAUVAGE rubbed me the wrong way on one spritz.
    Currently Loving:

Bois du Portugal
    Invasion Barbare
    Le 3e Homme
    Ormande Jayne Man
    New York Intense
    Patchouli Intense
    Naxos
    Ombre Leather
    Clubman/Canoe/Wild Country/Azzaro Pour Homme

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    Going to the gym and watching what you eat probably has a bigger effect on the perception of your cologne.
    I think this is the biggest takeaway.

I had a bottle of Guess Man. It's common and cheap, around $10-20 at Ross. I wore it and while it was okay, it "felt" cheap. Maybe something in the dry down, I don't know. I gave it to my dad. He's in shape, always well dressed. One day I noticed him wearing a really nice scent. What's that you're wearing I asked. "The one cologne you gave me, with the metal 'G' on it."

Perception goes along way.

Brut is a cheap fragrance, and extremely common. And yet, on it's own, I don't detect anything in the fragrance that actually smells cheap. It's a fougere oriental hybrid, the latter of which I'm not crazy about, but it does smell objectively well made. People say that if the Brut juice were bottled by a niche brand and given a new name, people would probably have an elevated opinion of it.

I think for the most part, man makes the clothes, and in this case, the fragrance. Yes, there are probably some exceptions to the rules, like some really dated, challenging fragrances, or stuff that comes in plastic bottle at $3.99. But for the most part I think you're presentation and personality will lend itself to the fragrance.

I’ve had people compliment me or say things like ‘MMMmmm you smell nice’ or ‘What aftershave are you wearing? It smells really good’ or had people come closer to get a better smell. Also rarely a face scrunch to scents with some animalic notes like Kouros.

Never had anyone comment ‘Your fragrance smells cheap’. I don’t think it’s a normal thing for someone to say unless someone asked them what they thought of the fragrance they were wearing.

Could people tell if you are wearing a cheap fragrance? I’m sure there are some people that can, but I’ve smelled expensive fragrances that smell very cheap too so price isn’t really the key factor in how well something is perceived. How well a fragrance is put together on the other hand and whether the person’s tastes and perceptions of the fragrance match are more likely to play a role.

A fragrance should enhance and never dominate your presence; that could be perceived as cheap.
    Currently wearing: 154 by Jo Malone

Yes. Don’t.

Basenotes Junkie
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post

Could people tell if you are wearing a cheap fragrance? I’m sure there are some people that can, but I’ve smelled expensive fragrances that smell very cheap too so price isn’t really the key factor in how well something is perceived. How well a fragrance is put together on the other hand and whether the person’s tastes and perceptions of the fragrance match are more likely to play a role.

A fragrance should enhance and never dominate your presence; that could be perceived as cheap.
    More good advice.

I really like Polo but it's definitely one of those fragrance where I wouldn't be wearing it, it would be wearing me. Which is why I don't fully adhere to the "wear whatever you like" mantra.