Code of Conduct

Default Linalool smelling Fishy

Hello,

I have bought Linalool 1 years ago, today while practicing, I kinda noticed a "fishy" smell opening the linalool bottle... I tested it on a smelling strip and yes, the fishy smell is there haging around with the freshness...
    I realy dont remember smelling this before, is it a side note of Linalool or it is rotten? I always keep my oils in dark cool place...
    Last edited by apolo085; 30th January 2020 at 11:44 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Linalool smelling Fishy

Linalool when of lesser grades can have off odors, some like terpineol and cleaning fluids...
    Don't remember an amine/fishy odor though.

When I ordered 5kg last week, I asked for the better grade of linalool, to avoid these issues.
    But if you or your supplier only cares for the cost, then you are going to get the cheaper/cheapest grade of linalool.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    Linalool when of lesser grades can have off odors, some like terpineol and cleaning fluids...
    Don't remember an amine/fishy odor though.

When I ordered 5kg last week, I asked for the better grade of linalool, to avoid these issues.
    But if you or your supplier only cares for the cost, then you are going to get the cheaper/cheapest grade of linalool.
    Thank you Paul.
    This fishy smell is realy bad and I can't imaging puting it in any blend...

I had to choose between:

l-Linalool Ex. Cinnamomum camphora
    Ethyl linalool
    Linalool -> The one I have choosen 1 year ago

Which one is the higher grade?
    Thanks by advance

Basenotes Plus

I didn't get much information from my supplier when I called and ordered the linalool, to know about it. Sorry.
    Maybe I'll know more when it comes in the shipment.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    I didn't get much information from my supplier when I called and ordered the linalool, to know about it. Sorry.
    Maybe I'll know more when it comes in the shipment.
    Thank you Paul, please keep us in touch
    FYI, Ethyl linalool made by Givaudan is the more expansif in the list(Retail price), and surprisely does not require declaration on product labels

If I had been more on the ball I would have been refrigerating my linalool, or at least any I expected to remain un-used for a long time, as it's not particularly stable, and now that you're brought it up I will do so.

To date I have not, but years-old linalool stored at room temperature has never acquired a fishy odor, for me.

That suggests to me the material was of low quality in the first place.

Quote Originally Posted by apolo085 View Post
    l-Linalool Ex. Cinnamomum camphora
    Ethyl linalool
    Linalool -> The one I have choosen 1 year ago

Which one is the higher grade?
    All three could be high or low quality or anywhere in-between. These three are different materials.

The first being a natural extract that's predominantly L-isomer (which sometimes one may want and other times not, as the L smells different than the D,L mixture), the second being a different but related compound, and the third being the D,L mixed isomer or racemic form which typically (at least) is synthetic.

If you buy from Perfumer Supply House or Vigon you will get professional quality material for sure. I have only twice got genuinely poor or unusable stuff from Perfumers Apprentice out of I suppose a couple of hundred, and my linalool from them was fine. I have never gotten bad stuff from Creating Perfume but IMO they often get materials from a distributor that I believe does not have organoleptic quality control worth mentioning if it has any at all, namely John D Walsh. So personally confidence of necessarily getting a fine grade, if manufacturer is unspecified, is less than with PSH or Vigon. But manufacturer is usually specified, so no issues. I order from CP all the time and very much like doing so.

If wanting an extract such as linalool ex bois de rose, or from Ho wood as you mentioned, perhaps some smell a little different from others.

As to which racemic (mixed isomer, typically synthetic) linalool may be best, I don't know as I have not had problems with any, but if I had a choice I personally would see if sourced from Vigon or if made by one of the leading companies and would prefer that over being from unknown manufacturer, if I had no other information. I see only one mixed isomer (in this case it's synthetic) linalool from Vigon rather than multiple grades.
    Last edited by Bill Roberts; 31st January 2020 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    All three could be high or low quality or anywhere in-between. These three are different materials.

The first being a natural extract that's predominantly L-isomer (which sometimes one may want and other times not, as the L smells different than the D,L mixture), the second being a different but related compound, and the third being the D,L mixed isomer or racemic form which typically (at least) is synthetic.

If you buy from Perfumer Supply House or Vigon you will get professional quality material for sure. I have only twice got genuinely poor or unusable stuff from Perfumers Apprentice out of I suppose a couple of hundred, and my linalool from them was fine. I have never gotten bad stuff from Creating Perfume but IMO they often get materials from a distributor that I believe does not have organoleptic quality control worth mentioning if it has any at all, namely John D Walsh. So personally confidence of necessarily getting a fine grade, if manufacturer is unspecified, is less than with PSH or Vigon. But manufacturer is usually specified, so no issues. I order from CP all the time and very much like doing so.

If wanting an extract such as linalool ex bois de rose, or from Ho wood as you mentioned, perhaps some smell a little different from others.

As to which racemic (mixed isomer, typically synthetic) linalool may be best, I don't know as I have not had problems with any, but if I had a choice I personally would see if sourced from Vigon or if made by one of the leading companies and would prefer that over being from unknown manufacturer, if I had no other information. I see only one mixed isomer (in this case it's synthetic) linalool from Vigon rather than multiple grades.
    Thank you Bill, very informative as always
    I also have read that synthetic Linalool does have more blending effects than the natural one, plus your advices, I'm sticking with it
    I did not find Linalool in PSH, I will try CP.

You're very welcome!

Susan (Creatingperfume.com) does have it, and it's sourced from Vigon!

https://www.creatingperfume.com/imag...thetic_SDS.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Roberts View Post
    You're very welcome!

Susan (Creatingperfume.com) does have it, and it's sourced from Vigon!

https://www.creatingperfume.com/imag...thetic_SDS.pdf
    Thank you Bill, It is on his way from CP with their ambergris accord which I have heard a lot of good thoughts

Basenotes Member

I also had my linalool for about a year, and I, too, have been getting a fishy smell from it lately. It smells very much like when I used to go fishing every morning in the summer as a kid. Perhaps this will do wonders in the upcoming perfume game.

Quote Originally Posted by andreasmg13 View Post
    I also had my linalool for about a year, and I, too, have been getting a fishy smell from it lately. It smells very much like when I used to go fishing every morning in the summer as a kid. Perhaps this will do wonders in the upcoming perfume game.
    Andreas I was going to ask if I could have some, for the game lol...

I've never found this for Linalool but my Linalyl Acetate does have a slight fishy note to it, maybe somehow related?

I've never come across this either. I purchased a fairly large amount of linalool from perfumers apprentice and after 3 years it still had no off odours. By this point I purchased new stock of linalool and compared the two and they were not vastly different. Could you have possibly cross contaminated it with pyridine or something else?

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by amateurperfumer View Post
    Could you have possibly cross contaminated it with pyridine or something else?
    With Pyridine? Certainly not. I don't have that.
    With anything else, possibly. I highly doubt it though. I make sure to only use pipettes once. Then, they meet their end in the bin.