Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Bois du Portugal changes?

Hi

I'm getting lower on my BDP ( 75ml - so a few years old ) bottle of this and I read couple of people saying that the newer stuff ( 50ml and 100ml bottles ) is not so good. Is this true or not? It seems Creed can be a bit of a gamble as I recently tried some Royal Out which was not as I remembered and therefore no longer something I would buy.

I could order a decant to try but there's not guarantee it would be new so I'm wondering if it's worth blind buying or if this has changed a fair bit?

Thanks

Willie
    Currently wearing: Aramis by Aramis

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Bois du Portugal changes?

Couldn't you go into a brick and mortar store near you, try it out and judge for yourself?
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Yes I could and you're right; I probably should if that would guarantee a reliable sample. I will need to plan a trip as it's a bit of a journey to the nearest one that would sell it so I thought I'd ask the knowledgable folks on here.

Basenotes Plus

I haven't heard of any changes to Bois du Portugal. It's my opinion that any differences people smell are due to maceration of the bottle. Most of my Creed fragrances have gotten more rich smelling.
    Currently wearing: Royal Water by Creed

I have both a "new" version of BdP and a "vintage" one (1990s). The vintage one definitely smells better. I think the lavender is more prominent in the opening of the vintage (compared to a stronger bergamot in the current) and the drydown is deeper and better in the vintage - I think the vintage actually used the magical mysore sandalwood, whereas the current stuff uses whatever sandalwood they use now.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I haven't heard of any changes to Bois du Portugal. It's my opinion that any differences people smell are due to maceration of the bottle. Most of my Creed fragrances have gotten more rich smelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I have both a "new" version of BdP and a "vintage" one (1990s). The vintage one definitely smells better. I think the lavender is more prominent in the opening of the vintage (compared to a stronger bergamot in the current) and the drydown is deeper and better in the vintage - I think the vintage actually used the magical mysore sandalwood, whereas the current stuff uses whatever sandalwood they use now.
    While ingredient variations may make a difference between batches of extreme age difference, I think Tspencer has the right idea about maturation of Creed. It's sorta one of their selling points too.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Freed from BN Institution

The vintage bottles are way better by far. Back before the BDP was introduced in the 120ml size bottles and the absence of the green labels they have now the juice carried a significant punch. It was quite full bodied and carried a vintage style feel the stuff that was seen during the 1980s and well into the 1990s.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Decided to wear this gem today after pondering the differences last night. My wife forbids me from wearing this masterpiece in her presence, it's her most despised fragrance for some reason (she says it smells too "old man", but no idea why the hate for it is so high) so I can only wear it when I'm working..

Put three sprays (vintage) on my collarbones and chest, and a spray on the back of each hand/arm. One arm vintage, the other current. The vintage definitely has more weight to it, if that makes any sense, more.. depth? more gravity? The current stuff seems a bit lighter, a bit more airy. I do feel like the current stuff has a little bit stronger citrus (and maybe vetiver?) where the vintage is more lavender and that glorious creamy sandalwood, which definitely feels stronger and richer to me in the vintage version.

At the end of the day, they (obviously) smell very similar, and the differences could definitely be attributed to maturation/maceration (shoot, my vintage bottle is 30 years old!) but I do think the ingredients used were of a higher quality (again - real mysore sandalwood vs regular sandalwood?) and my preference is absolutely for the vintage. I feel lucky to own an early 90's (pre 120ml) bottle. Either way, its truly magnificent stuff in my opinion.

IMG_20181225_103356975.jpg
    Last year I bought a 2016 bottle off Fragnet, really liked it, and bought a backup 2018 bottle from incenza. They're clearly different in appearance, smell, and ingredients listed but with that said the new stuff is still solid. Just missing a little something to me. Attached are my 2 BDPs

My wife forbids me from wearing this masterpiece in her presence, it's her most despised fragrance for some reason (she says it smells too "old man", but no idea why the hate for it is so high) so I can only wear it when I'm working..
    I had a bottle in 1995. My wife loved it on me, and I also got a compliment at the office. I was 27.

I bought a newer bottle about 5 years ago. My wife reacted the same as yours. I quickly sold it off. She said it was "an old man smell".

At 52, I'll be there soon enough, I don't need my cologne accelerating the pace.

It has changed a lot since I started wearing it. BdP has been one of my favorites over the past 10+ years and I have several backup bottles (including a vintage backup bottle that is currently FS dated to 2002).

I made a point of trying as many batches as I could because there were subtle variations in every one of them. Some are sweeter and "dense" in texture while others are more dry cedar/woodsy with a crispness and slight "green pepper" accord. I've received many compliments wearing this fragrance from coworkers, friends, family, and random people in public. I only need 2-3 sprays. Anything more and it does become overbearing.

Newer batches omit the natural bergamot and lavender from the opening. The dry-down doesn't have the same rich sandalwood/woods + ambergris medley and instead fades rapidly into a less opulent and luxurious base that smells synthetic and cheap. A lot of the reformulated Creed fragrances tend to open smelling quite similar to the vintages but it's downhill from there. I would say that they capture the overall idea of the fragrance but it's lacking the depth provided by the natural ingredients they once used.

BdP ages nicely when stored properly and I will always have at least one bottle of it in my wardrobe. I'm not sure if I would be able to adjust to wearing the new batches because I don't get the same satisfaction from them. I'm not sure when BdP's biggest reformulation(s) took place, however, I would look for the 75ml/120ml bottles with the older style of sprayer.

I am still catching frequent whiffs of the Bois du Portugal I applied SEVENTEEN HOURS ago.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Fwilko View Post
    Last year I bought a 2016 bottle off Fragnet, really liked it, and bought a backup 2018 bottle from incenza. They're clearly different in appearance, smell, and ingredients listed but with that said the new stuff is still solid. Just missing a little something to me. Attached are my 2 BDPs
    For the record. My juice color in my bottles have gotten darker over time. So, you cannot judge the color of the juice in a newer version. For example, my bottles of Royal Water, Royal Mayfair and Bois du Portugal all three got 'darker' color juice in the last 3 years (and those bottle releases are about 3 years apart). None of the other clear-glass bottles have shifted in color, but those 3 have developed and gotten much, much richer over time.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    I would prefer these BDP bottles anyday over the bottles that are available in the last several years specifically the ones with the green labels. These shown here are the ones to look for.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Interesting to hear these experiences. The bottle I currently own is not vintage but is one of the 75ml ones and less than 5 years old so I'm not sure how different it would be from the 50ml bottles. TBH I'm not really motivated enough to look for ( and pay for ) a vintage bottle so I will wait until my next visit to the shop and see how I feel when I spray it. If it fits the bill I will buy but if not then it will join Royal Oud as being a Creed victim of reformulation, and Aventus as being too unreliable ( IMHO ) to spend that kind of cash on.

Mind you I do notice with Creed perfume age affects it massively so I'm not even sure the store spray will answer my question fully either.

Thank you all most kindly for your help.

I love old fashioned fougeres and chypres. But the new bottle of bdp i got was quite harsh and somehow just did not come together untill the drydown... which was great. But i have not smelled the vintage.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    1. Sandalo by Lorenzo Villoresi
    2. Eau D'Hederin by Annick Goutal
    3. Neroli Portofino by Tom ford
    4. Gris Clair by Serge Lutens
    5. L'Ombre Dans L'Eau by Diptyque
    6. Colonia by Acqua di Parma
    7. Scandal by Roja
    8. Sublime Vanille by Creed
    9. Moon Safari by Memo
    10. Pour Homme by Paco Robanne

I own an older bottle, prior to when Creed started using labels on the bottles. It’s nuclear strength. One spray under the shirt, no more, and you’re good all day. A frequent compliment-getter, but you have to wear it with the right clothes and attitude. Never appropriate for warm weather. Not right for shorts and a t-shirt. Great for formal and business wear. Any newer bottles I’ve sniffed don’t hold a candle to vintage formulations.

I wear BdP frequently to NFL games, but only in cold weather. BdP blooms in warmer temperatures. Don’t go there.

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    I own an older bottle, prior to when Creed started using labels on the bottles. It’s nuclear strength. One spray under the shirt, no more, and you’re good all day. A frequent compliment-getter, but you have to wear it with the right clothes and attitude. Never appropriate for warm weather. Not right for shorts and a t-shirt. Great for formal and business wear. Any newer bottles I’ve sniffed don’t hold a candle to vintage formulations.

I wear BdP frequently to NFL games, but only in cold weather. BdP blooms in warmer temperatures. Don’t go there.
    I'll wear it when I want. Thanks.
    My opinions in weblog form: FragranceReviewer.com
    Fragrance Sales: eBay Store

Quote Originally Posted by MegaMav View Post
    I'll wear it when I want. Thanks.
    Go for it. If you’re comfortable with it, great. I just kind of scared myself with it once or twice. Disapproving reactions from friends and innocent bystanders. I love BdP. Just prefer to be cautious with it.

I prefer the richer scent structure of older bottles, the drydown in particular being truly stellar. Don’t get me wrong as I don’t think newer bottles are necessarily bad, older ones just have something about them. Aging I’m sure plays an enormous part of the differences however its not the only part of the puzzle - the sandalwood is exquisitely moreish in older bottles. Also newer bottles don’t list oakmoss (Evernia Prunastri) as an ingredient where older ones did and its reflected in the tenacity of scent. I happily wear this year round but I also go easier on sprays in hot weather and opt for my newer bottle in summer which has lighter projection. My older bottles project enormously for hours and easily last a day.
    Currently wearing: Fendi Uomo by Fendi

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post

The older juice is quite potent, one of the potent ones from the millesime line.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I prefer the richer scent structure of older bottles, the drydown in particular being truly stellar. Don’t get me wrong as I don’t think newer bottles are necessarily bad, older ones just have something about them.
    Feel the same way.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Fwilko View Post
    Right: Bois du Portugal. Left: Bois du Lisbon.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama
    Currently wearing: Chinatown by Bond No. 9

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    Right: Bois du Portugal. Left: Bois du Lisbon.
    I would put a $50 bet down that if you took another picture in 3 years the bottle on the left will have darker juice. I own Creeds and 3 of my bottles have significantly darkened since I first bought them 3 years ago. One of those bottles is, in fact, a 2.5oz bottle of Bois du Portugal.

Bois Du Portugal is my daily fragrance since almost 5 years now.

I started using my new 100ml bottle since last week. The first few days I was disappointed as I thought it has lost its character and longevity, but after 5 days use, I see no difference in the drydown compared to my previous bottles.
    Of the new bottle I would say the opening changed a bit but the drydown (that I care most) is the same.

So, for me all is still good. (Though I admit the old batches had a great opening).
    My signature scents:
    Current: BOIS DU PORTUGAL (since Aug 15......)
    Past: GREEN IRISH TWEED (June 10 - July 15)
    Past Past: BOIS DU PORTUGAL (Oct. 09 - May 10)
    Past Past Past: EAU SAUVAGE (good 15 years !!!)
    Past Past Past Past: LANVIN L'HOMME (2 years)
    Past Past Past Past Past: EAU SAUVAGE again (3 years or so)

I have a 2008 bottle and I am terrified that it is going to end and I will have to buy a new one. I absolutely love the edible/smoky basenotes in BdP.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

I've always found the opening on "current" Bois du Portugal (read: from the last decade) a bit challenging, even on bottles that have sat for a while. There's something really stuffy and harsh about it. But the drydown is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I've always found the opening on "current" Bois du Portugal (read: from the last decade) a bit challenging, even on bottles that have sat for a while. There's something really stuffy and harsh about it. But the drydown is good.
    I'm the same way. The opening isn't great but the rest of it is amazing.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I'm the same way. The opening isn't great but the rest of it is amazing.
    Yes yes, my passion for BdP rests solely on its basenotes, which are unsurpassable.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale