Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
o
    Basenotes Plus

Exclamation Ensar oud crime & punishment

https://ensaroud.com/product/crime-p...0e645-78513315

Real raspberries crushed to a paste and spread across a bed of frankincense, 35-year-old oud oil infused with concentrated oud resin, and Edward rose. Grated ambergris and a sac of musk oiled up with iris dunked into blue lotus laced with ylang-ylang battered with mimosa sweetened by peach, roughed up by oud, and styrax… to give the jasmine a sharp vintage edge.

There are two things I would like to discuss here.

1. The perfume itself
    2. The analytical aspect of the description of the perfume and why he created it.

Default Re: Ensar oud crime & punishment

I don't see a description of the fragrance. I see incoherent rambling and Areej Le Dore bashing.

Basenotes Plus

Based on the description it appears Ensar has taken some criticism based on his use of real musk. He speaks a lot of eo no.2 and the negative feedback he received from it. He questions the ethics of using synthetics versus real deer musk.
    In the note breakdown this looks appealing. Many flowers ensar has worked with before combined with ouds, musk, and ambergris. Personally glad to see no mention of orris or frangipani

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by AZsmells View Post
    I don't see a description of the fragrance. I see incoherent rambling and Areej Le Dore bashing.
    He mentions war and peace the book. I was wondering if he was also alluding to the fragrance itself when he mentioned pilfering...

His email and content of it looks like a hurt babies rant. I am not sure who he is referring to in the post, but if its Adam, then all I have to say "Talk is cheap!". Adams W&P for 220 is better than EO1, EO2 and Tigerlust together. And even if something is synthetic there, smell wise it knock anything i tried from Ensar out of the park. I will search for the split of Crime&Punishment, but if it fails to deliver, i will be completely done with Ensar as a house .
    As for perfume, love raspberry, so very curious to see what it will be

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, “War & Peace” was a marketing triumph Ensar wished they had thought up themselves. Now they play ‘follow the leader’, unashamedly taking a page from the same playbook yet has the temerity to remain on their ‘high horse’ while disparaging other houses in a less-than-subtle rant disguised as marketing literature. Isn’t ‘fermented white wood’ clearly a dig at Bortnikoff’s use of Indonesia Bouya and synthetic musk a criticism on ALD Siberian Summer? Wow. There’s a lot of emotional ‘salt’ to unpack here.

This kinda makes me NOT want to even sample their stuff anymore. Why don’t they just focus on their own thing, worry less about ‘competition’ and be happy that more fans are finding their way to artisanal fragrances? A scarcity mindset will do them in before long. Accessibility is an issue they have yet to address after all these years. Not many fans has $700-800 lying in around to blow on a bottle that gets few wears.
    “...too many among us die at thirty and are buried at eighty.” - Robin Sharma

Basenotes Plus

Crime & Punishment is a protest. A march against the charade of high-class synthetics peddled as artisanal aromatics. A bulldozer fueled by influencer endorsement instead of genuine artistic accomplishment.
    I understand where ensar is coming from here. There are several houses i could name that are built around youtube influencers and overhyped IMO. Im curious if the targets here really are Adam and Dmitri, which would be odd as I thought ensar and Dmitri were close friends...

Who is this unnamed critic and bootlegger that he talks about?
    This drama sounds so delicious.

Basenotes Plus

Critic is Nikhil from Exotic Scents? I recognize some of the paraphrased quotes from Nikhil’s review of EO2. Also, he collaborated with ALD on a perfume in ALD’s collection that came out shortly after EO2 did. And bootlegger is Russian Adam then I guess.

I got the email and came straight here with my popcorn. I guess Ensar knows controversy sells!

On a training i got at work, we were told not to bash competitor. EVER! Gives clients bad vibes about you. I wonder what this will result in for Ensar

As for Nikhil, he is reviewer and can express his opinion about product. He doesnt force anyone to do as he said.

Will Strifeknot do a split? The world needs to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Will Strifeknot do a split? The world needs to know!
    Yes. Few spots left on 1st bottle.

I love when an artist is unabashedly themselves regardless of wether or not I agree with their sentiments. All of these perfumers look up to Ensar in some way or another and it’s no secret that Ensar is at the top of his game in the Oud world. I’d feel honored to be attacked by the master of poetic prose descriptions.

Basenotes Plus

EO2 was not well received by a lot of people, as EO1 was. But EO2 was very good in its own right. Still, for some reason, many people didn't like it as much. Personal preference I guess.

The jabs at ALD is just part of the marketing. Drama will create awareness etc. Fact is, ALD is THE hype brand at the moment, so taking shots at ALD will draw awareness here.

I'm a huge EO and ALD fanboy, but I don't like this approach. Let your fragrances do the talking.

On to the fragrance- sounds great. Being the aforementioned fanboy that I am, I'm down with it.
    Do you even niche?
    Currently wearing: Sir Winston by Bortnikoff

EO has always used this approach in advertising. It isn't something new. It's why I stopped buying from him. I used to be a huge fan going back to his Oriscent days. I can find great ouds and perfumes elsewhere.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by 911LambMelb View Post
    The jabs at ALD is just part of the marketing. Drama will create awareness etc. Fact is, ALD is THE hype brand at the moment, so taking shots at ALD will draw awareness here.
    Controversy stirs up the nest and brings in the eyeballs (+ hornets) to the brand. Guess they’re taking a calculated risk. There is however the risk of miscalculation.., We’ll see. I’d love to get a sample to try and a chance to do a rant-disguised-as-a-review lol.

1. Ensar, Adam, and Dimitri are very good friends.

2. Ensar's release video of EO2 (predates W&P) on YouTube described it as something that characters from War and Peace would wear.

3. I can't afford Ensar's Parfums at this time. Hopefully I can weed thru the drama and bashing and find reviews.

Basenotes Member

I’ve noticed that with Ensar’s perfume releases he rarely gives a detailed breakdown of the notes. Hints of what are included are mentioned throughout the long prose that he writes - and it’s up to the reader to decipher it. The exception is with EO1 where this a clear list of top, heart and base notes.

Do think this approach makes any difference? I’m comparing against the hype and excitement that arises when someone like ALD announces their full note breakdown - like the million year-old plus fossil Amber in W&P.
    Currently wearing: Onction by Henry Jacques

Basenotes Plus

I couldn’t care less which approach they choose to take. I don’t even know what ancient fossilized amber is supposed to smell like.

My perception of Ensar Oud scents however seems locked on their purist /puritanical heritage in oud distillation, and not so much on artisanal fragrance composition. Am I too far off base to surmise their foray into blends or multi-ingredient fragrances is a relatively more recent development? Perhaps treading on inroads made by ALD and Bortnikoff? I don’t remember any full fledged fragrance from them before EO1...

I emailed the guys at Ensar Oud. The 9.5ml tester won't be available not until they officially launch the perfume on Feb 25.

If you can't wait, get a decant from Strifeknot.
    Currently wearing: Diaghilev by Roja Dove

Thoughts in order of hearing about this and visiting page:

1: Ohhh coooool Crime&Punishment! A play on the famous Fyodor Dostoyevsky novel.

2: ...loads up page... skim skim skim... for the love of god can i just get a note listing?

3:
    "Likewise with critics who yesterday didn’t know what oud is, and couldn’t tell the difference between a phthalate and gyrinops if their life depended on it. They can’t tune a string, yet pretend to conduct an orchestra.

As I said before, this is not an act of marketing. I just want to set the record straight, in case I die one day and you confuse my work for that of a tone-deaf bootlegger coming after your money.

Marketing is one thing, and history is quite another. And in case you didn’t catch it, in the release video of EO No 2, I described the perfume as a fragrance to be worn by the characters of War & Peace.

Since that theme was pilfered, I resort to the work of the author's ill-fated contemporary, who had a knack for gambling everything he had each night before he went home to his wife."

Yeah I'm done, dude consistently comes off like the smuggest F**king prick ever. Won't receive another dollar from me.
    Don't stank.

So much hate and drama for a bottle of perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by mahmadna View Post
    So much hate and drama for a bottle of perfume.
    negative. has nothing to do with the perfume, but rather the character and actions of the creator.
    Don't stank.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I couldn’t care less which approach they choose to take. I don’t even know what ancient fossilized amber is supposed to smell like.

My perception of Ensar Oud scents however seems locked on their purist /puritanical heritage in oud distillation, and not so much on artisanal fragrance composition. Am I too far off base to surmise their foray into blends or multi-ingredient fragrances is a relatively more recent development? Perhaps treading on inroads made by ALD and Bortnikoff? I don’t remember any full fledged fragrance from them before EO1...
    They definitely released E01 after Areej's second editions and around the same time as Bortnikoff's first edition.

Blends and multi ingredient fragrances theyve had for a decade by way of attars.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by FCM415 View Post
    They definitely released E01 after Areej's second editions and around the same time as Bortnikoff's first edition.

Blends and multi ingredient fragrances theyve had for a decade by way of attars.
    Thanks for the info. That’s what I thought. But kinda forgot about their attars though...

FWIW EO has earned every right to vent against YouTube pseudo artisans...but I’m not convinced they’re fighting for a piece of the same pie given the significant price differentials.

Basenotes Plus

I won't spend the time to read every word on the page in the link. The few times I visited his site over the past year to see if there was anything I was interested in, I would end up rolling my eyes from trying to read the novellas on each page that seemed more boastful of his abilities than any description of the perfume.

But, sounds like we may have some entertainment with the start of a little Tupac & Biggie of the artisan perfume world
    Currently wearing: Montecristo by Masque

Quote Originally Posted by bklow View Post
    I won't spend the time to read every word on the page in the link. The few times I visited his site over the past year to see if there was anything I was interested in, I would end up rolling my eyes from trying to read the novellas on each page that seemed more boastful of his abilities than any description of the perfume.

But, sounds like we may have some entertainment with the start of a little Tupac & Biggie of the artisan perfume world
    It's time for...War & Peace!

Basenotes Plus

Jcelello is correct.
    Ensar released eo no2.
    Nikhil worked with adam to release koh i noor
    Nikhil released a review of eo no2 (watch it on youtube "exotic scents")
    Ensar responded on Crime & Punishment

crime & punishment rant has nothing to do with Dmitri Bortnikoff and I feel it was not aimed at russian adam either, just Nikhil.
    everyone is entitled to their own opinion regarding Nikhil and Ensar's actions, whether you feel it was genuine or the review was calculated to be inline with the release of koh i noor.

The sad part, and it might turn out to be a prophesy, is that main character, not a hero, of the story commits a crime, thinks he is right and never fully understands that what he did was wrong. He is not as smart as he thought, gets caught and sent out to Siberia/ isolated. And even inmates dont really like him. Ensar is walking on a thin line.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast