Code of Conduct
o

Default Vermeil selling for more than the original (Guepard)?

From what I understand Geupard came out with this scent first - the bottle is similar to Vermeil, only difference being it is clear glass rather than the brown patterned glass (and comes in a traditional box rather than the plastic display case type holder for Vermeil). The prices are lower for the original, if that's what it is, than for Vermeil (some of which I think are reformulated). Does anyone have experience with both? Thanks.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Vermeil selling for more than the original (Guepard)?

I just bought a cheap bottle of the Guepard (which was produced by Vermeil) to compare.

This came up ten years ago, and hednic posted:

"I believe the fragrance is the same as the one in the brown bottle, just an earlier packaging. At least that's what I was told by two SAs in New York that had this one and the later one in their stores in the Fragrance District many years ago. Name also had to be changed to Vermeil (Guepard was removed) as I was told there was a copyright infringement and a pending lawsuit from the Swiss company Guépard. If that's true and you have tried the brown shiny bottle with the same shape, you have an idea then about it."

Technically, it would have been a trademark infringement rather than copyright, but IP is IP. It looks from the box like Vermeil was trying to launch a house named "Guepard," and the fragrance was its eponymous debut. Renaming it "Vermeil" essentially accomplished the same thing.
    Currently wearing: Cuir Andalou by Rania J

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I just bought a cheap bottle of the Guepard (which was produced by Vermeil) to compare.

This came up ten years ago, and hednic posted:

"I believe the fragrance is the same as the one in the brown bottle, just an earlier packaging. At least that's what I was told by two SAs in New York that had this one and the later one in their stores in the Fragrance District many years ago. Name also had to be changed to Vermeil (Guepard was removed) as I was told there was a copyright infringement and a pending lawsuit from the Swiss company Guépard. If that's true and you have tried the brown shiny bottle with the same shape, you have an idea then about it."

Technically, it would have been a trademark infringement rather than copyright, but IP is IP. It looks from the box like Vermeil was trying to launch a house named "Guepard," and the fragrance was its eponymous debut. Renaming it "Vermeil" essentially accomplished the same thing.
    Is it more or less the same scent? Thanks.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Is it more or less the same scent? Thanks.
    Supposedly: my bottle is in the mail, so I can't confirm for several days at least. Hednic says it's just a change in branding/packaging, and that's quite possible under the circumstances.

Okay, I was able to get a 100 ml bottle for a good price; it arrived today and I did a dab sampling. Wow, this is great, more balanced than vintage Vermeil, with less of the civet/castoreum punch to the face, but still recognizable as the same scent. Think of this as the dandy version of vintage Vermeil. but the balance is also better. When I do a regular wearing I'll update.

Basenotes Plus

Okay, I was able to get a 100 ml bottle for a good price; it arrived today and I did a dab sampling. Wow, this is great, more balanced than vintage Vermeil, with less of the civet/castoreum punch to the face, but still recognizable as the same scent. Think of this as the dandy version of vintage Vermeil. but the balance is also better. When I do a regular wearing I'll update.
    Sounds great! I now feel even better about plunking down a big $29.99 for my 100ml, which should arrive later today.

Sounds great! I now feel even better about plunking down a big $29.99 for my 100ml, which should arrive later today.
    I'll be curious to know what you think of it. And did you ever try that Havana Reserva sample?

Basenotes Plus

I'll be curious to know what you think of it. And did you ever try that Havana Reserva sample?
    I'm embarrassed to admit that I misplaced the Havava Reserva sample—I've been dying to try it! <grrrr…> I have too many places it might be, but as soon as I locate it, it's at the top of the list.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I misplaced the Havava Reserva sample—I've been dying to try it! <grrrr…> I have too many places it might be, but as soon as I locate it, it's at the top of the list.
    That's happened to me more than a couple times too! LOL.

I wore it today with one spray to the chest, and my dab sampling impression is confirmed. Guepard is smoother and better balanced. I wore vintage Vermeil two weeks ago or less, so that's fresh in my mind. Vintage Vermail is shrill and searing compared to Guepard; it begins with massive animalics/muskiness then dries down to something weaker than Guepard. However in terms of smell they are very similar, with nice tobacco in the drydown. Since the prices of Vermeil are high now, I can just swap or sell that bottle and keep the Guepard, which I prefer by a wide margin.