Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
o

Default 3 random leathers - pass the sample

I haven't done a pass the sample/sample giveaway in a while. Randomly, I recently received 3 random, not very common leathers. Anybody interested?

They are:
    Indult Reve en cuir
    Parfumeide Cuir tabac
    The Zoo No perfume

No particular link between them other than I own them and they are not common. (And the last one isn't specifically a leather, but it's in the area).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: 3 random leathers - pass the sample

I’m certainly curious, as I like leather fragrances and haven’t tried any of those. And three is a manageable number.

Basenotes Plus

I’m game! I love leather notes.

Freed from BN Institution

I've heard about Indult mainly because of Tihota but never tried Reve en cuir. The Zoo No perfume must be a more recent release as I haven't heard of that one while hosting The Zoo sample pass.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

Yes, the no perfume is a later addition to the line (I believe Tubereuse organique is the other), and it isn't available in the sample sets.

Basenotes Junkie the blood on 530 27's Avatar

Leather is one of my most interested note. I'm also quite curious about the new work by The Zoo.
    “The French have a phrase for it. Those bastards have a phrase for everything."

Add me to the list
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Wearing Perfume Right Now

You could add me, Cacio, if you're still looking for participants.

Always be smelling

I am in if not too late
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Genny (original) by Genny

People of Zee Wurl, Relax

Should there be any, I'm happy with the leftovers from paps or Bavard or anyone else who doesn't entirely finish theirs. But don't feel the need to whip up a set specifically for me. My main interest in leather perfumes is that they rarely smell like leather to me.

I did enjoy your last few of these, cacio, minus that weird, rare cilantro-ish Eau de Cologne thing you found in Italy. Woof. It was fun to experience at least!

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by IsoESuperman View Post
    Should there be any, I'm happy with the leftovers from paps or Bavard or anyone else who doesn't entirely finish theirs. But don't feel the need to whip up a set specifically for me. My main interest in leather perfumes is that they rarely smell like leather to me.

I did enjoy your last few of these, cacio, minus that weird, rare cilantro-ish Eau de Cologne thing you found in Italy. Woof. It was fun to experience at least!
    I did Cacio's Eaux de Cologne pass in 2017, which was quick, easy, and educational:

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/439...gne?highlight=

We have several interested Basenoters in the northeast!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    I did Cacio's Eaux de Cologne pass in 2017, which was quick, easy, and educational:
    So was his immortelle pass!

Ok, let me see what I can do.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Ok, let me see what I can do.

To make it more convenient perhaps the participant list can be organized with the folks on the east coast before making its way to the west coast?

Packets shipped.

Thank you Cacio, just received the samples! Will post my review one by one.

No Perfume by The Zoo: smoke, woody, leather(?)

Yep, he ain’t lying. Not a perfume, nothing you wanna wear when you need to smell good.

This is the dry, hot smoke caught on top of camp fire. It cause tearing eyes. Not much development, I may caught whiff of Bacon-like greasy edge at some point, but mostly it’s that lean, dry-woody coal-dark smoke.

I do love a smoke bomb when it’s done interesting, like T-Rex by zoologist or even Hyde by Hiram Green, but this one...it doesn’t feels like a work (or it has done too much of a good work to not look like one?), more of linear display of the cresol molecules.
    Last edited by the blood on 530 27; 19th February 2020 at 08:39 PM.

Laudamiel sure likes his synthetic molecules...

Basenotes Plus

Mine have arrived, as well, thank you! Will review next week, after my Rania J week is completed.

Basenotes Plus

On second thought…

Cacio was kind enough to assist me with some “perspective leathers,” so I plan to dive into those before the official leather pass, then transition back to Rania J with Cuir Andalou and T. Habanero. I’ll decide where to start later today after the remnants of my Rania J Lavande 44 clear up—longevity not a problem with that one, folks.

Basenotes Plus

First up in perspective leathers: Knize Ten. Somehow, I've never managed to put the ür masculine leather under my nose before. Whatever it may lack in subtlety, it makes up for in verisimilitude. Like hanging out in a biker bar, but safer. Personally, I could wear this sort of thing all day long and twice on Sundays. If vintage K10 weren't so pricey, I'd buy a quart.

Tabac Cuir by Parfumeide

A sour-sweet soda water-like bubbly beginning, then a two-tone body:

one thinner, smooth, elegant sweet-ish hue (some sort of lighthearted tobacco-leather?), roughly reminds me of an empty paper cigarette box;

another a thicker savory note, which strongly reminds me of the Birch Leaf specialty base by Givco (Givaudan): just think of a very savory ("Umami") tomato leaves. There is also some black peppery nuance getting more and more obvious, if smell closer to hand.

The savory note is strong but dies down fast, I'd say the elegant sweet-ish empty paper box hue lasts longer.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    First up in perspective leathers: Knize Ten. Somehow, I've never managed to put the ür masculine leather under my nose before. Whatever it may lack in subtlety, it makes up for in verisimilitude. Like hanging out in a biker bar, but safer. Personally, I could wear this sort of thing all day long and twice on Sundays. If vintage K10 weren't so pricey, I'd buy a quart.
    I like knize Ten very much. "Sexy" can mean many different things to many people, but to me, it means Knize Ten. Pleasant as it is, I'd say it's not so simple-minded like many modern masculine crowd-pleasers. It still has layers, development, structures and whatnot. Sexy leather with a brain.

Interesting take on the parfumeide, quite different to me. Let's see what others think.

As for Knize Ten, indeed, it's not a simple leather. It's made more elegant with flowers, some fruity note, and some ambers. Butch but elegant at the same time. This version is not the current one, but it's fairly recent. I'd say the current one is ok, as is the Golden edition version. No need to go into superexpensive vintage.

Reve en Cuir by Indult: clove, mostly.

Huh, I just realize I've tried it before!

The beginning is a blast of indescribable sweet "perfumery" tones; mixed with a lemon peel like note, which is more puckery than sour, I wasn't sure if this is because of oregano.

Then it transitioned to a true clove-y clove: not perfumery or thick as in Opium, no other added spice, just a no-frill old clove note, somehow with a muffled smokey edge. Most people will also find a cardamon note, but to me, cardamon is registered as a very savory ("Umami") note, and I got none of it from this perfume.

The sweet-perfumery vibe didn't disappear, it catches up with the clove note, perhaps adding a bread-like gourmand-y facet. The website calls it "edible", and I think it's not too wrong.

From my old note, it seems like this perfume got more than clove: it moves to something resembling play-doh (vanilla?), with salt-black peppery spicy-leather(?) edge. But I didn't get anything like it this time.

The name Reve en Cuir may be apt after all: the leather is only in a dream, it never manifests itself. This is a clove perfume for me.

Agree on the "reve" part....

Basenotes Plus

Perspective Leather #2: Chanel Cuir de Russie extrait. Where Knize Ten is all about the scent of the saddle, Cuir de Russie blends in the scent of the rider. And, despite the mid-1920s creation date, this is definitely a pre-1917 Russian leather we’re talking about: a Tsarist fantasy rather than a proletarian horseman. The aldehydes suggest that this particular rider seasoned her saddle with, amongst other things, a spritz of No. 5. But the animalics are sufficiently genteel that we can discern she wasn’t riding à la Godiva. No less sexy a leather for that.

This is a current version of the extrait of Cuir de Russie. Vintage would have had more bite from the birch tar and more animalics. But still, Cuir de Russie is as much a floral (iris especially) as a leather. Plush and elegant.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    This is a current version of the extrait of Cuir de Russie. Vintage would have had more bite from the birch tar and more animalics. But still, Cuir de Russie is as much a floral (iris especially) as a leather. Plush and elegant.
    The vintage will be hard to come by, I know, but I'm intrigued. This version is no slouch.

I smelled the vintage parfum reconstruction at the Osmotheque. I also smelled an old edt, which was actually less leathery and more animalic, but it's hard to know whether it was in perfect condition.

cacio

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast