Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
o

Default Re: Overrated fragrances FOR YOU.

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    I bought Badgley Mischka after reading an intriguing review in Perfumes: The Guide. Its charms eluded me.

That’s about the only one I can recall. I tend to have amnesia for the underwhelming ones.
    You know I always love your answers, don´t you?
    Best,
    BruceB
    Currently wearing: Knize Ten by Knize

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    You know I always love your answers, don´t you?
    Best,
    BruceB
    Why thank you, sir!
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Boucheron by Boucheron

Leather Oud by Dior , mostly overrated among basenoters, but I cannot wear it . Same apply for vintage Korous.
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2- Guerlain Derby
    3- 40 knots by Xerjoff
    4- Bond 9 New York Oud
    5- Mamluk by Xerjoff
    6- Coromandel by Chanel
    7- Naxos by Xerjoff
    8- Chanel 19
    9- Dior Oud Isphahn
    10- Richwood by Xerjoff

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Aventus is overrated.
    Please leave the forum and close the door behind you

Dependent

I have come across a few in my limited experience. Aventus smells nice enough, I guess, but I hardly wear it and I wouldn't miss it if it was gone. I find BR540 to have a weird sweet scent when I can smell, but most of the time I smell nothing. For Creation-E, I cannot find any occasion that would be suitable for this nuclear strength creation.
    Currently wearing: New-York by Nicolaï

Very easy: don´t judge. Just say what you think is overrated.
    Best,
    BruceB
    I agree with Egoiste, not Farenheit.

I would say pretty much all of Parfums de Marly line and all Creed except Aventus and Royal Oud, possibly SMW.

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    Why thank you, sir!
    Because your sweet vibe, your accurate and precise words and, last but not least, the Susan Sarandon picture
    Best wishes,
    BruceB

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I could never get on board with YSL Rive Gauche pour Homme. Trust me, I tried. There's good stuff in there, but I get an acrid plastic tone that just ruins it for me.
    Same here.

Reading the thread some more, I wondered why this one resonates with me. I think it's because I can agree with someone on 9 out of 10 fragrances, but the conversation can still take an awkward turn toward YSL tin cans. And then we can't be friends anymore (not really).

Being overrated can be temporary - the rating could be corrected, then the person crying overrated would be out of date, and the one who's actually wrong. It happens all the time. Take a thread about the greatest fragrance of all time. Someone posts, "Shalimar." At that point, Shalimar is overrated. It's just silly. A few seconds later, someone posts something else, and the Shalimar hype is diluted. Maybe a few people talk about how much they hate Shalimar, and the overrating incident is ancient history.

I see a lot of BR540 mentions here. Almost posted it originally, but after thinking about it, I decided it's not really "overrated" per se because there's a sizable contingent here who either 1) can't smell it, or 2) find it repulsive. I'm in the latter camp.

So in that sense, it's rated correctly as a controversial and polarizing piece of perfumery.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

I respect many seasoned noses here but can’t seem to figure out why Sycomore EdT gets such high praises by them. Another one to mention is MPG Santal Noble.
    Currently wearing: Jasmine by Floris

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Patou Pour Homme and Patou Pour Homme Prive - I couldn't get myself over the hump for either one of these. Unlike stuff like vintage Derby, I couldn't justify the price tag for those.
    I am glad to see Derby among your favorites. You should try Patou Pour Homme A/S as well, I found it quite enjoyable.
    Currently wearing: Jasmine by Floris

Basenotes Junkie

Morabito Or Black.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Please leave the forum and close the door behind you
    You know that it is.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Creed, way overrated, cheap caps and boxes too!
    And this is before "overpriced" is even considered!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

You are my guru, ZC
    Best wishes,
    BruceB
    I make a terrible guru. I can't even fold my legs in yoga-style without getting a cramp.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

In the spirit of this being totally subjective...

Most TF Private Blends
    Most Creeds
    PdM Layton and Herod
    A lot of MFK freshies

User of Toilet Water

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    I respect many seasoned noses here but can’t seem to figure out why Sycomore EdT gets such high praises by them.
    I'll second Sycomore EDT. I bought it and wore it once before selling it. I found it smelled okayish and had poor longevity.

One that I haven't seen mentioned lately, but it was a year or so ago: Franck Boclet's Tobacco. I'm so glad I sampled this first. Cheap candle on steroids - no tobacco.

Though I've only tested it on paper once: Balenciaga pour Homme. Fantastic opening, but disappointingly ordinary ambery drydown. I still need to try it on skin and either way, I'm glad I finally tried it.

Basenotes Plus

Overrated = “Things I can’t understand why other people like”

I don’t like Yatagan, but I can see why someone else would. So, not overrated.

I dislike Encre Noire less than I dislike Yatagan, but I can’t understand what it is about Encre Noire that people like. So, overrated.

But then, calling things overrated is overrated.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post

I dislike Encre Noire less than I dislike Yatagan, but I can’t understand what it is about Encre Noire that people like. So, overrated.

Saying that calling things overrated is overrated itself is overrated.

RATECEPTION
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

Creed is a mixed bag for me because some stuff like Royal Oud, Royal Mayfair and Bois du Portugal are great, whereas stuff like Original Vetiver, GIT, and Aventus are not bad per se, but just don't quite compare to some of their other scents, and especially not for the asking prices. Ditto most Aventus clones, i.e. Explorer, CDNIM, etc. Most clones tend to be disappointing to me, even if they approximate the original scent. I'd rather try something new and interesting even if it's not perfect than a disappointing approximation of something I can buy a decant of for the same price and be much happier in the long run.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    I respect many seasoned noses here but can’t seem to figure out why Sycomore EdT gets such high praises by them. Another one to mention is MPG Santal Noble.
    Sycomore EDT took some time to come around, once I acquired a taste for other vetivers like Dior Vetiver and Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, the Chanel's take on vetiver fell into place. Initially I took offense when people around me at work or in casual settings complained that it smelled like weed and pot or just dirty, it caught me by surprise.

Do you have a preference between the After Shave and the EDT spray of Patou Pour Homme?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Creed is a mixed bag for me because some stuff like Royal Oud, Royal Mayfair and Bois du Portugal are great, whereas stuff like Original Vetiver, GIT, and Aventus are not bad per se, but just don't quite compare to some of their other scents, and especially not for the asking prices. Ditto most Aventus clones, i.e. Explorer, CDNIM, etc. Most clones tend to be disappointing to me, even if they approximate the original scent. I'd rather try something new and interesting even if it's not perfect than a disappointing approximation of something I can buy a decant of for the same price and be much happier in the long run.
    I think Creed overall has gotten worse in recent years, the quality standards have dropped and the price have increased. Creed is a hit or miss for me across the board with their collection. I'm disappointed with their decision to reduce the size of the bottles from a few years ago as well as the introduction of a weaker atomizer.

Personally I wouldn't mind seeing Aventus getting discontinued - it's one of the most inconsistent Creeds produced and for that reason I don't think it should ever been released.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Woto by Deviline

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    You know that it is.
    I actually don't --- overpriced, of course it is like all Creeds

But as a standalone fragrance I think Aventus is fabulous and deserves a lot of plaudits

I find GIT a little bit unspecial. I can't find the fun of this scent. Too sharp.

I wouldn't call anything overrated.
    I just merely don't like some things that are well liked or like some things that a more or less well liked. There are some that are hard to appreciate for me (yet?).
    On the other hand, that's what I think "overrated" means - "most people like it better than me, and I know better than them".
    The thing is, I don't know better.

I think my opinions are stronger in music, or at least they were when I was younger. You know, Nirvana is sooo overrated and Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains are sooo underrated kind of stuff, doesn't matter that I listen to all of them.
    I like to think I grew out of this at least a bit, but maybe not completely so in areas where I *think* I know better.
    *tries to keep her mouth shut, but yells BEATLES AND PIZZA AND CHEESE ARE OVERRATED and then runs to hide in shame*

Pure Malt and probably the whole Pure line (I've only smelled a couple).

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post

Overrated: "Things I understand why other people like but there seems to be a general consensus about those parfums that I don´t share. And in a totally playful, gratuitous and respectful way, I say what I think about that".
    And Im not talking about people taste. Im talking about parfums.
    What it is overrated, is calling overrated what other people do.
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I make a terrible guru. I can't even fold my legs in yoga-style without getting a cramp.
    But at least you´ll get a cramp smelling good
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by ClockworkAlice View Post
    I wouldn't call anything overrated.
    I just merely don't like some things that are well liked or like some things that a more or less well liked. There are some that are hard to appreciate for me (yet?).
    On the other hand, that's what I think "overrated" means - "most people like it better than me, and I know better than them".
    The thing is, I don't know better.

I think my opinions are stronger in music, or at least they were when I was younger. You know, Nirvana is sooo overrated and Pearl Jam and Alice in Chains are sooo underrated kind of stuff, doesn't matter that I listen to all of them.
    I like to think I grew out of this at least a bit, but maybe not completely so in areas where I *think* I know better.
    *tries to keep her mouth shut, but yells BEATLES AND PIZZA AND CHEESE ARE OVERRATED and then runs to hide in shame*
    Don´t be so serious!
    Tell those that you think that are hard to appreciate for you!
    That´s it.
    Best,
    BruceB
    PS: Beatles? Of course they are overrated. Everybody knows that the Stones are the real thing

Nerf Herder

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Sycomore EDT took some time to come around, once I acquired a taste for other vetivers like Dior Vetiver and Frederic Malle Vetiver Extraordinaire, the Chanel's take on vetiver fell into place. Initially I took offense when people around me at work or in casual settings complained that it smelled like weed and pot or just dirty, it caught me by surprise.
    Very few vetivers get so dank that I’d compare them to bud... Terre d’Hermes Eau Intense Vetiver is the exception. The lack of a flint note and the really vegetal take on vetiver means the opening very clearly mimics the smell of a bag of weed that someone has thrown thrown an orange rind in to keep it from drying out. I’d honestly be shocked if the perfumer or their assistants weren’t ripped and giggling to themselves when they made this.

On topic, this is also overrated. I feel no need to have this when the Parfum and EDT both do a better job and have no shortage of vetiver.
    “Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.” - Oscar Wilde

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast