Code of Conduct
o
    Basenotes Institution

Default Geza Schön: Rebel With An Olfactory Cause

​Who says perfume can’t be political? In some cases it may just be a pretty glass bottle with a generically pleasant-smelling liquid inside, but amongst the ever-expanding sea of new releases, something that is more than just a pretty proverbial face feels downright refreshing. One longtime crusader for this cause is Geza Schoen.

Read the rest of the article here

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Geza Schön: Rebel With An Olfactory Cause

Interesting article.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Great article! Thank you Carla. I can't wait to try the Beautiful Mind fragrances. I love his philosophy/thought processes that inspired the fragrances.
    “The unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their own”
    ― Fernando Pessoa
    Currently wearing: Manakara by Indult

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

This reporting definitely helps the Beautiful Mind Series make much more sense, so thank you, Carla.

Honestly speaking, my initial thoughts about the series when it first came out were framed within expectation of the exact superficial worldview that Schön finds so objectionable. Thus, the concept sounded like "Paris Hilton of The Mind - Smart Is The New Orange Sexy - Catch Her Next Week on Brain Idol" - which would clearly be just more pretentious claptrap from celebrity culture. In fact, I don't think the industry was able to frame his work any other way - the time simply wasn't right. Now? A different story, and it makes sense. All going to prove yet again that the idea was quite bleeding edge. And note that YSL tagged along on this idea just a bit with their recent marketing campaign for Y (the men's release). Ah, yes - the thing is so much safer, it's not even the thing any more! *eyeroll*

Although my "fragrant politics" might not be exactly the same as Schön's, we are certainly allied in the rebellion against superficiality, which never ends, in my opinion. Yes, we need bread and circuses in perfume, but a few great libraries will make our grandchildren happy, too.

PS - Enjoying another example of Schön's work right now. His abilities are quite clear!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

Great article, thanks Carla!

I am myself a fan of Schoen, that has revolutionned perfumery by its massive use of synthetics and his - now excessively used - freesia accord (used again in E05).

He has signed some of the most interesting fragrances I own, and also a few I don't own yet, like: Anat Fritz Tzora, Baldessarini Ultimate, Bouddica Wode, Escentric 02, Kinski, OJ Zizan, OJ Montabaco, OJ Black Gold.

That said, I have to admit that I have smelt the Beautiful Mind (both #1 and #2) and found them pleasant (at best), but nothing political or memorable, especially at that price point. No real statement, and again a "best-of" of his favourite accords and bases (freesia again in BM2, to cite just one).

Still, a great perfumer!
    Currently wearing: Ursa by Tiziana Terenzi

Thank you for the lovely feedback everyone, some great food for thought here!

The antithesis of Ensar Oud. They should collaborate and produce something special.

Freed from BN Institution

I enjoyed reading this article, thanks Carla :thumbsup:
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

"Time to empower women through perfume - and who better to do it than me, a man!"
    Currently wearing: Vikt by Slumberhouse