Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 28 of 28
o
  1. #1
    Basenotes Junkie tiberije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    812

    Default Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    So I recently bought or swapped for 4 Colonias : Oud, Leather, Original Colonia and Colonia Club.

    I have samples of Essenza and Colonia Intensa.

    I enjoyed every one of them and for what they offer price/quality wise, this house is definitely worth exploring considering the investment.

    I am interested mainly in Colonia line and since it has high number of flankers what would you suggest.

    What colonias are redundant to own (similar smelling ones or weak performance) and which one you would suggest to try and own.

    Thanks



    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Of the Colonia line I think I like the original best, but also Assoluta. Maybe check out Intensa as well. Not a fan of Club and Pura. For me, they were not in the same league.

    I think you should keep trying and see which one you like the most. I'm considering buying Colonia. Some like the blue Mediterranean line. Varying quality there but maybe something to try?

  3. #3
    ToughCool's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Southlake, Tx
    Posts
    4,778

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    I'm a big fan of Essenza and Colonia Club. Club has a great green mint and the drydown reminds me of some of the 80s fougeres. Essenza is just very classy and nice to me.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan
    Currently wearing: Vintage by John Varvatos

  4. #4
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil
    Posts
    304,472

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Thought Essenza was pleasant.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

  5. #5
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    30

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Own and love the original Colonia as well as Essenza. I mostly wear Colonia during the summer or at home, find it very uplifting and classy at the same time.

    Essenza is probably my favourite neroli, very clean but not boring (to me) and wear it to pretty much everywhere. + the 180ml bottles are good value and look great.

    Liked Assoluta but didn't think much of Club and Pura.

    Also own Bergamotto di Calabria from the Blu Mediterranean line, very realistic bergamot though suffering from the usual longevity issues of bergamot-centered fragrances.

  6. #6
    Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Toronto, ON
    Posts
    21,729

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Leather is the best IMO. The Oud is good, too.

    Among the freshies, Intensa and Assoluta.

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    21,950

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    I find the citrus ones somewhat substitutable (original, assoluta, intensa, essenza), although there are slight differences among them. My favorites are original and assoluta.

    I'm less a fan of the black labels, there's usually nothing to excite me, with the exception of leather, that you have already.

    cacio

  8. #8

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Intensa is my favorite, followed by original Colonia and then Essenza. The others im not that big a fan of...

  9. #9
    Dependent deltasun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Cloud 9
    Posts
    3,316

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    I might be in the minority here then as I love Pura. The first one I ever purchased was Intensa and Pura soon came out and took it's place for me. Essenza can have that old man vibe, as I've seen mentioned, but it's definitely well done and reminds me very much of an Italian style cologne. It's perpetually in my to-buy list, but I've not pulled the trigger.

  10. #10

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    The original Colonia is my favorite of the line. Wear it mostly in the summertime and in. The daytime.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Essenza is nice due to the neroli, but prefer Creed's Neroli Sauvage to it. Had high hopes for Club as I'm a fan of green musky fragrances, but felt this was synthetic and not blended well IMHO.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

  12. #12
    Basenotes Institution
    sjg3839's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    43,904

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Ambra is redundant. Smells just like Colonia Oud.
    <div class="bnsotd"><b>Currently wearing:</b> <a href="ID26148387.html"><img src="http://www.basenotes.net/photos/products/33/26148387-7393.jpg"> Carven L'Eau Intense by Carven</a></div>

  13. #13
    Dependent Monsieur Montana's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Inhabitant of the Lower Rimparian Forest
    Posts
    4,349

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Intensa is my preferable one. Essenza and Quercia are also very well done.

  14. #14
    Dependent
    broguesforsir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    52°N
    Posts
    1,027

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Colonia
    Assoluta
    Essenza
    Leather

  15. #15
    Dependent slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    The best brown bottle: Sandalo - a really nice synthetic sandalwoo tempered with fresh notes as you'd expect with a lovely cardamom spice.

    The best blue bottle: For citric summer - Bergamotto. Ginger, fresh bergamot, vetiver base. Simple, clean. Easy to wear. Poor performance. Consider a sweet-juicy Arancia as well. For more general masculine activities: Cipresso. Woody, fresh, masculine, timeless, better performance.

    The best Colonia: Colonia Essenza. Not by much, as they're all very similar, but it's the freshest and most lively. Essenza comes across as soapy and annoying to me and is probably my least favourite of the flankers. Intensa is good but I hate it in direct sunlight, much more appropriate for cooler weather I found. Something in it I couldn't stand when sweaty. All of them full of synthetic musk which I found cloyin eventually. Avoid the original Colonia, too old school, rubbish performance. Colonia Club is quite different and Colonia Pura has only a small following in that it's a truly 'modern' cologne that Chanel and Creed have probably done better with their releases (Aventus Cologne, AHS flankers).

    Other to consider would be any of the brown bottles you haven't tried as they perform well. Special mention to Mirra for a sweet-spicy balsamic weird one. And oud, for a citric oud which is a bit weird and one of the better synthetic oud fragrances. You must adore old school oakmoss to enjoy Quercia, and you must love ebony woods with a weird honey and chilli pepper accord for Ebano. I would say avoid both if you aren't dedicated to trying the whole line. The only one I haven't tried is Vaniglia but by all accounts it's very sweet and feminine. Likewise, none of the Asian inspired recent releases are very good and I would skip over them unless you like AdP and florals. They are definitely more female appropriate.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  16. #16
    Basenotes Junkie tiberije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    812

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Quote Originally Posted by slpfrsly View Post
    The best brown bottle: Sandalo - a really nice synthetic sandalwoo tempered with fresh notes as you'd expect with a lovely cardamom spice.

    The best blue bottle: For citric summer - Bergamotto. Ginger, fresh bergamot, vetiver base. Simple, clean. Easy to wear. Poor performance. Consider a sweet-juicy Arancia as well. For more general masculine activities: Cipresso. Woody, fresh, masculine, timeless, better performance.

    The best Colonia: Colonia Essenza. Not by much, as they're all very similar, but it's the freshest and most lively. Essenza comes across as soapy and annoying to me and is probably my least favourite of the flankers. Intensa is good but I hate it in direct sunlight, much more appropriate for cooler weather I found. Something in it I couldn't stand when sweaty. All of them full of synthetic musk which I found cloyin eventually. Avoid the original Colonia, too old school, rubbish performance. Colonia Club is quite different and Colonia Pura has only a small following in that it's a truly 'modern' cologne that Chanel and Creed have probably done better with their releases (Aventus Cologne, AHS flankers).

    Other to consider would be any of the brown bottles you haven't tried as they perform well. Special mention to Mirra for a sweet-spicy balsamic weird one. And oud, for a citric oud which is a bit weird and one of the better synthetic oud fragrances. You must adore old school oakmoss to enjoy Quercia, and you must love ebony woods with a weird honey and chilli pepper accord for Ebano. I would say avoid both if you aren't dedicated to trying the whole line. The only one I haven't tried is Vaniglia but by all accounts it's very sweet and feminine. Likewise, none of the Asian inspired recent releases are very good and I would skip over them unless you like AdP and florals. They are definitely more female appropriate.
    Thanks
    I am all about oakmass and old school colognes. I am actually into powerhouse colognes and old 75ml discontinued creeds so I will definitely try Quercia if it’s old school and avoid Pura since I dislike modern colognes PdM line , Dior Sauvage and most Chanel’s except Antaeus.

    My favorite house is Amouage so I might try Mirra

    Good review


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

  17. #17
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,921

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I'm a big fan of Essenza and Colonia Club. Club has a great green mint and the drydown reminds me of some of the 80s fougeres. Essenza is just very classy and nice to me.
    This!


    Also check the Blu Mediterraneo line up. There are a few very pleasant offerings there for summer, like the really good orange one called Arancia Di Capri. And if you like fig, Fico di Amalfi is worth a sniff.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  18. #18
    Basenotes Junkie tiberije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    812

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    This!


    Also check the Blu Mediterraneo line up. There are a few very pleasant offerings there for summer, like the really good orange one called Arancia Di Capri. And if you like fig, Fico di Amalfi is worth a sniff.
    I did couple of years back but I barely got any longevity . 1 hours and it was gone


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

  19. #19
    Basenotes Plus
    Diddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Bayou Country
    Posts
    5,921

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    I did couple of years back but I barely got any longevity . 1 hours and it was gone


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sorry to read. I get 4 to 7-ish hours, depending on which one. Arancia di Capri is a skin scent for me at 4 hours but my wife can still smell it hours beyond that whenever she hugs me. Stuff like Arancia di Capri is something I use for when I’m only wanting something specific for a few hours and could be easily covered over or washed off.
    Sent from the bayou, using homing gators.

  20. #20
    Basenotes Junkie tiberije's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tampa Bay
    Posts
    812

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Quote Originally Posted by Diddy View Post
    Sorry to read. I get 4 to 7-ish hours, depending on which one. Arancia di Capri is a skin scent for me at 4 hours but my wife can still smell it hours beyond that whenever she hugs me. Stuff like Arancia di Capri is something I use for when I’m only wanting something specific for a few hours and could be easily covered over or washed off.
    I remember that I liked Bergamotto di Calabria and Fico de Amalfi but I was not happy with performance enough so never bought it. I liked the line though and I tried them all in Nordstrom 8-9 years back


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Colonia Pura is nice.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

  22. #22

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    I'm wearing Essenza right now. It's way too old mannish for my tastes. I couldn't wear it in public.

    Brown bottle Quercia is good. I could wear it.

    My favorite is blue bottle Cipresso. It's the standout of the blue bottle line and smells fantastic. And unlike most of the other blue bottle scents, which are all pretty good, it has decent performance.

  23. #23

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    So far liked the most Colonia, Colonia Assoluta and most of the Blu Mediterraneo range tested-also considered neither of these redundant compared to another, since a lot of differences do remain, in spite of a common theme of strong similarity

  24. #24
    Dependent slpfrsly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    1,012

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Quote Originally Posted by tiberije View Post
    Thanks
    I am all about oakmass and old school colognes. I am actually into powerhouse colognes and old 75ml discontinued creeds so I will definitely try Quercia if it’s old school and avoid Pura since I dislike modern colognes PdM line , Dior Sauvage and most Chanel’s except Antaeus.

    My favorite house is Amouage so I might try Mirra

    Good review


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Ok, in that case definitely try Quercia. Ambra is a bit weird in that it's like all the other brown botttles - it smells deep, dank, and like a Victorian painting. All musty and weird, but with less of the fresh or distinctiveness of the others. It doesn't smell identical to oud as above, and the main note is 'ambergris' and it achieves it well - all musty-saltiness. Not a 'need' to try, but a bit of a weird one. I've never actually worn it out and wonder what it would smell like - only tried it multiple times at home. My guess would be it is for someone who's a bit weird and individualistic. Mirra's decent. Has a coldness to it despite the warming quality. I think the brown bottle lines are probably their best releases, peversely, considering their history and fame. I think they dropped the ball on the Signatures of the Sun Asian fragrances but that might have more to do with breaking in to the Middle Eastern and Far Eastern market which is obviously massive. The company has exploded within the last 10 years.

    I'd also recommend you try Ginepro as well. Discontinued, but worth a sample.
    "Colourless green ideas sleep furiously."
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

  25. #25
    Freed from BN Institution

    N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    44,858

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    My favorite is the original Colonia.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/459...d-Fridays-2019

    Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

    Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

  26. #26

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    The original Colonia is my favourite fragrance of all time, not just from the house but from any house. Will never be without a big bottle.

    After that I also really like Club (not for everyone), Assoluta and Sakura. Fico di amalfi is my favourite from the blue line although for me personally there are more misses than hits in the blue line.

    Don’t really get all the hype around essenza. It feels like one of those fragrances every you tuber says is amazing. It’s ok for me.

  27. #27

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    For the original line Colonia is the way to go. It's got a magical spring feeling to it, hard to pinpoint but almost nothing matches it. I get good performance out of it, you keep getting the occasional pleasant whiff of it for many hours, assuming you're not sniffing your arm the whole time!!! The after shave either liquid or balm don't last as long but don't go clear away either. I found the pura boring and not lasting, the intensa as not so good, and the club is nice but not really related at all to colonia.

    For the brown line I would bet if you gave it to lots of people you get different favorites but very few would want the whole line. I like the oud best, with the leather second. Like mirra, ebano, and quercia okay but would not reach for them to wear very often. They don't all smell alike as far as the exact notes, but they are all pretty similar in theme.... dark... maybe dank... heavy.... I would recommend doing samples but would not expect you would want to own all. I also like oakmoss and powerhouse oldies. The brown line really don't remind me much of those, they are dark but really don't project or have the richness of the oldies. I'm talking things like smalto, halston, krizia, perry ellis. The oud is the closest.

    Someone mentioned vaniglie, I think that's the only brown one I haven't had at least a mini of. Curious if anyone has tried and has any comments on it????

    I like the blue line the best by far, but don't have the performance issues some do. The Cedro di Taormina is great, as well as the already mentioned Bergamotto di calabria and Fico di Amalfi. The cipresso and chinotto are good too, I even have an old probably discontinued basil one, foglie di basilico thats interesting. If you get another chance try these and maybe use an extra spray or two!! Although they sound like beach scents, they seem to work better in warm weather but not too hot or high humidity....

  28. #28
    Dependent Slayerized's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    8,514

    Default Re: Acqua di Parma Colonia Line?

    Only a 50ml decant of the old Colonia Oud Edc Concentree version which I like a lot.
    My Top '11' of main current rotation in no particular order:

    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - TF: Ombré Leather
    - Cartier: Santos edt (vtg)
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Mancera: Red Tobacco
    - Mancera: Aoud Vanille




Similar Threads

  1. Acqua Di Parma Colonia Intensa Oud v's Acqua Di Parma Colonia Oud
    By sly303 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 15th January 2020, 09:00 PM
  2. Anyone sampled fragrances from the Note Di Colonia line by Acqua Di Parma?
    By checkmate in forum General Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 15th December 2016, 03:17 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 14th September 2016, 11:24 PM
  4. Lorenzo Villoresi Acqua di Colonia vs. Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa
    By dreamchaser in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 4th July 2014, 07:06 PM
  5. Acqua Di Parma Colonia vs. Acqua Di Genova vs. Borsari Acqua Classica
    By Orgoglio italianO in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 16th February 2011, 10:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000