Code of Conduct
o

Default Did I change, or did Eau de Cartier?

Greetings, everyone!

Iím certain that nearly every new Basenotes member has asked the question, ďHas <My Favorite Fragrance> been reformulated?Ē Itís now my turn to do so.

Eau de Cartier EdT has been my comfort scent since 2002/2003. My budget didnít allow me to replenish it for quite some time, but Iíd try a spritz at the perfume counter every now and then, just to remind myself what it was like. As late as November 2018, there was always that lightbulb of recognition: ďAh yes, thatís how I remembered it!Ē I was particularly fond of a slight pepperiness as it dried down that, to me, gave Eau de Cartier more depth than other ďcleanĒ scents Iíd tried.

Along rolls Christmas 2019, and Santa brings me a full bottle! Hooray! But...whereís the peppery violet leaf? What happened to the cedar at the end? Why does the citrus, once fresh and fleeting, now seem almost top-heavy?

Is it me? Olfactory fatigue? Hormones? (As a woman of a certain age, I am grateful that hormonal changes have made me much less susceptible to migraines. However, if I wound up anosmic to my favorite notes, that would be a mixed blessing indeed.)

I canít seem to spray enough on my wrist to get that drydown. Itís not merely weaker, itís gone altogether. If olfactory fatigue is to blame, it settles in quickly. Moreover, taking a break for a couple of days doesnít seem to ďresetĒ anything.

The batch code on my box is 8DAC, which indicates April 2018. Iím almost certain it was purchased at Nordstrom, i.e. a reputable retailer.

Could anyone familiar with Eau de Cartier pre- and post-2018 confirm whether my perception, or the fragrance itself, has changed?

Iíd appreciate anyoneís help. Thank you!

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Did I change, or did Eau de Cartier?

I donít know, but thereís a thread on BN where someone asked the same question in 2018, and noted a change in color from grayish to greenish. So, it seems plausible the answer is, ďyes,Ē but that doesnít necessarily mean it has been.

Freed from BN Institution

Since it was launched in 2001 you can bet that it has been reformulated at least once. If you're determined to finding a bottle from around the 2002/3 era, you're best bet is eBay or the sales thread or the fragrance wanted forums.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Aubťpine-Acacia by Creed

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Chances are good it’s been reformulated, probably to achieve economies of scale or bring it in line with its latter flankers.
    Agree with this.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Thank you all for replying. I suppose I wasnít clear enough with my question. What Iíd really like to know is whether more experienced Basenoters have noticed a similar change.

I did read the thread from 2018. Thereís no color change in my bottle; itís the same almost-clear liquid itís always been.

I recognize that most fragrances are reformulated over time. But Iím surprised at such a drastic change, especially for a scent that was introduced in the 21st century and didnít seem to be oakmoss-dependent. Itís as if the entire base has been removed. I keep hoping that something in my perception is (temporarily) off.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by cdave2 View Post
    I recognize that most fragrances are reformulated over time. But Iím surprised at such a drastic change, especially for a scent that was introduced in the 21st century and didnít seem to be oakmoss-dependent. Itís as if the entire base has been removed. I keep hoping that something in my perception is (temporarily) off.
    When you read those threads about color changes, it's usually because folks have noticed a difference in the smell to begin with. So basically I think that you'll have to trust your own nose if you notice a difference.

Often you hear people say that if it's something that you know that you like, you would be wise to buy another bottle of it immediately. This may sound alarmist I know, but things have come to a point these days that even just a couple of years later, the latest batch of many perfumes are likely to smell different. And often moved away from the perfumer's original vision.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Quote Originally Posted by Birdboy48 View Post
    This may sound alarmist I know, but things have come to a point these days that even just a couple of years later, the latest batch of many perfumes are likely to smell different. And often moved away from the perfumer's original vision.
    Thatís extremely unfortunate, and not only from an artistic standpoint. It doesnít even make good business sense, because it does nothing to encourage customer loyalty.

If Iím to trust my own nose - my beginnerís nose - and the difference is apparent even to me, who are they trying to fool? What, now, is there to sell Eau de Cartier over other, less expensive scents? The Brand Name? If thatís the case, why not sell us a bottle of lemonade with ďCartierĒ stamped on it? Or is that the intention? Why p!$$ off someone who could have been a lifelong customer? Bah!

I wish theyíd re-reformulate it - surely they can do better. End of rant.

I still cling to a small hope that my perception is at fault. Can no one else verify whether or not they smell a change circa 2018?

Thanks for your comments!

Possibly both personal factors and reformulations brought on the change (s), although the last time did sample this fragrance, did not get any hints or at least no perceptible ones about being significantly changed

My last reply was delayed in posting because it required moderator approval. Whoops. I must have set off alarm bells with my rant at Cartier, and will have to be more careful with my tone! I suppose most people have already heard a million complaints about someoneís favorite not being what it used to be.

Ken, I recognize that you had responded before my last reply posted. Iím glad to hear that you hadnít noticed any significant change. It gives me some hope that my bottle might be an anomaly. Iíll have to find someplace with a recent tester to see if thatís true.

Quote Originally Posted by cdave2 View Post
    My last reply was delayed in posting because it required moderator approval. Whoops. I must have set off alarm bells with my rant at Cartier, and will have to be more careful with my tone! I suppose most people have already heard a million complaints about someone’s favorite not being what it used to be.

Ken, I recognize that you had responded before my last reply posted. I’m glad to hear that you hadn’t noticed any significant change. It gives me some hope that my bottle might be an anomaly. I’ll have to find someplace with a recent tester to see if that’s true.
    Thank you for the reply, thank you if having even remotely helped.
    As always (or, if not always than at least in most recent fragrance testing cases) have had quite a difficulty to identify any changes within the current formulation of Eau de Cartier but also little to no reasons to reconsider the qualities of whatever formulation continues to be available currently.

And though even this personal standpoint might change someday and/or under certain conditions, for now this particular scent somehow manages to still stand out, even to excel among all of the Cartier personal favorites.

I haven't noticed any changes in EdC, and I am also a long-time devotee. However, I usually wear the EdC Concentree. But I do keep some of the "regular" EdC juice around, as well. I've found that some fragrances do smell different to me over time; I always attributed it to changes in my olfactory sense or minute changes in my chemistry. But since joining BN and learning about constant reformulations, maybe it wasn't just me... Fingers crossed that you just got a weird batch; losing a fav is heartbreaking!
    Currently wearing: Vanilla Musk by Coty

Thank you for the encouragement. We’ll see. Fingers crossed indeed!