Code of Conduct

Question BHT in the diluted raw materials

Good Morning,

I use all of my materials diluted in alc. to create samples (usually in 20%). But as you know, raw materials become bad after a while.

Is it possible to add BHT in the diluted materials or does that interfere with the mature process of the samples?

Thx for some advice.

David

Default Re: BHT in the diluted raw materials

Hello NonConformist

materials being spoiled, pehaps can be non very well closed bottle, generally in diluted with alcohol last more shelf time. The scent evaporates slowly with time. I don't know if BHT prejudice the mature/maceration process. Other point I think, perhaps is the light, this can prejudice some materials, at this case is applied UV filters, exists many but for me appears w frequency benzophenone-2, the benzophenone group are suspicious to have undesired certain skin effect. I don't have any experience with this. So you can search what is the best for you.

Initial point:
    http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/...uvabsorbr.html
    ''[...] The perfumery is in such a state so badly, that even Johnson's talc lost their essence [...]''
    Currently wearing: Tai Winds by Avon

I bought a fridge, cold will keep almost anything longer! I also live in Florida, where heat and humidity will try to take anything out , hence the fridge. Since humidity has taken a toll, I also enclose them in the fridge . There is also a gas from lotion crafters that will fill the space in the bottles.

Thank you for your answers. I've read that BHT is to add to the concentrate, so I think it's before the mature process but I'm not completely sure.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by NonConformist View Post
    Thank you for your answers. I've read that BHT is to add to the concentrate, so I think it's before the mature process but I'm not completely sure.
    Considering the volatile ingredients in the blend could be hurt by oxidation during maceration, it would make sense to include the antioxidant BHT prior to maceration.

Quote Originally Posted by chyprefresh View Post
    Considering the volatile ingredients in the blend could be hurt by oxidation during maceration, it would make sense to include the antioxidant BHT prior to maceration.
    It is not a question of volatility but rather of chemical stability.

Also it is important to check if your materials already contain an antioxidant, as many do. If the product contains BHT already, exceeding a certain threshold can cause further issues with your material. Fragrances do not require much maceration, and anything which would show stability problems during the few short days you macerate your fragrance should not be used anyways.

Dependent

Yeah I mostly meant top notes, idk why I keep saying volatile. Also, not sure why any well regarded material released by aroma suppliers might have stability problems in a few short days or why anyone would need to worry about such a thing, this isn't literal chemistry experiments. And seeing that the recommended usage of BHT is so low, I don't see how it could hurt any formula if you follow the rules.