Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: Would you postpone buying a new car for 3-4 years to buy more frags?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buy the car.

38 60.32%
  • Buy the frags, just keep driving your current bucket.

25 39.68%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: Would You Rather Buy a Better Car Than You Have Now....or....Have more Depth in Your Niche Frags

Car first.

Good variety of good value quality fragrances without going niche out there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Would You Rather Buy a Better Car Than You Have Now....or....Have more Depth in Your Niche Frags

Car

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I only created this poll to figure out what your feelings were on a car vs fragrances when it comes to enjoyment, not necessity.
    Adding to my earlier statement, A balance of both would be ideal. My own personal needs for fragrances have long been met so I could spend more time on the other.

What model car do you currently have? Aside from Teslas I do have an interest in BMWs and Mercedes.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Adding to my earlier statement, A balance of both would be ideal. My own personal needs for fragrances have long been met so I could spend more time on the other.

What model car do you currently have? Aside from Teslas I do have an interest in BMWs and Mercedes.
    High end cars, although are within my budget, are not smart buys for me. I just never got into cars. I enjoy a drive in any car. It's more a mode of transportation than anything else. My car is a 2007 Nissan Sentra. I had a custom after-market high-end audio system put in it 10 years ago. The car is still in excellent shape. The audio system is now worth way more than the car itself.

I'm pretty sure that I'll buy mid-range cars and drive them into the ground for the rest of my life. It's smart financially and that's largely why I can afford some niche fragrances here and there. I think fragrances are a tad more important to me since my transportation is covered just fine. I tend to target spending based on a balance of importance and enjoyment. As long as my car is clean, comfortable and has a good sound system for music, then that's all I need. Enjoyment and stability>status symbol trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Why can't they be put in the same bucket? I get your point, but afterall it is kinda the topic, is it not? Also, a bit unfortunate 'telling' people what, or what not, to do. Just saying.
    I'm not telling people what to do, I'm stating that one ought to consider budgeting separately for fragrances and transportation. And perhaps doing so more forcefully since the premise of this whole thread is contrived.

Quote Originally Posted by ultravisitor View Post
    But all of my expenditures ultimately come out of the same bucket: my income.
    Following the above, do you consider frivolous expenditures such as fragrances in the same vein as (perhaps) critical functioning items like a personal vehicle?
    Currently wearing: Pi Fraiche by Givenchy

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jabar View Post
    I'm not telling people what to do, I'm stating that one ought to consider budgeting separately for fragrances and transportation. And perhaps doing so more forcefully since the premise of this whole thread is contrived.

Following the above, do you consider frivolous expenditures such as fragrances in the same vein as (perhaps) critical functioning items like a personal vehicle?
    I saved money into a separate account over time to fund my vehicle maintenance and eventual replacement. I have already achieved the replacement cost and maintenance cost for the rest of the life of this car. I planned years ago to consider replacing it around this age (12-13 years), but the engine/transmission are still running great and I decided to just do a few suspension replacements and drive it 3-4 more years. The car seems capable of making it. I can now spend a bit more on fragrances since my car replacement savings cover any contingency, ie, if the car fails. So, I figure I can improve my fragrance enjoyment in the short term while things are where they should be financially. All my savings are on track in my life, so why not? Cars have never been important to me outside of transportation. I like a clean car, but having one for a fancy name isn't my thing. I wear fragrances everyday and boy, they enhance my life and enjoyment. It's one of the best hobbies/fascinations I've come across in my life. I don't mind safely postponing a car purchase if I can get more niche scents in the short term.

Basenotes Plus

I wouldn’t presume that upgrading one’s car is equally critical in terms of providing transportation to all people. Numerous respondents have made that clear. I have a very nice car that doesn’t need upgrading for either utility or luxury. My wife has a nicer car. We’re set. Sure, I could get a newer one, but to do so now would be even more frivolous than spending thousands of dollars on fragrances, and provide me with less satisfaction to boot.

I haven’t seen anyone say, “I really need a new car, but I would buy fragrances instead.” I doubt I will. So, all this thread really establishes is which of us are satisfied with our cars (or lack thereof). This being Basenotes, it’s kind of a given that we’re into fragrances.

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I wouldn’t presume that upgrading one’s car is equally critical in terms of providing transportation to all people. Numerous respondents have made that clear. I have a very nice car that doesn’t need upgrading for either utility or luxury. My wife has a nicer car. We’re set. Sure, I could get a newer one, but to do so now would be even more frivolous than spending thousands of dollars on fragrances, and provide me with less satisfaction to boot.

I haven’t seen anyone say, “I really need a new car, but I would buy fragrances instead.” I doubt I will. So, all this thread really establishes is which of us are satisfied with our cars (or lack thereof). This being Basenotes, it’s kind of a given that we’re into fragrances.
    Nailed it!
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

There is NOTHING "critical" about owning a personal vehicle for me.

I live downtown in a major city. I take public transportation and ride shares. I also do lots and lots of walking every day because I like to walk around the city instead of be lazy and ride.

I haven't owned a car in several years.

I have ZERO need to own a car.

I have ZERO desire to own a car.

I have ZERO need to take on any of the costs involved in car ownership.

I have ZERO desire to take on any of the costs involved in car ownership.

Owning a personal vehicle would be nothing but entirely frivolous expenditures for me.

Dependent

Considering in 5-10 years people will be be able to summon driver-less cars, car ownership will become less common. I'll keep my perfume collection and buy the frags.

As long as the car has an air bag, ABS, and air conditioning, I couldn't care less about it. My car was manufactured in 2012! I don't invest much in clothing either.

I prefer to buy stuff such as art & antiques, perfumes, high-end cooking equipment, and invest in leisure: travelling.
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

I've got a car that will be old enough to vote in a few years time. Am I looking to upgrade? No. Has this anything to do with my fragrance purchases? Also no. Would I put off a purchase of a new car if required or repairs to my current one if I need them in favour of buying fragrances? No. That would be bonkers.

That being said, I am the pragmatic type, and I drive for commuting, not leisure.

In terms of whether a car and fragrances should be 'in the same bucket' in terms of expenditure, I wouldn't class them this way since a car is a necessity for a lot of people, not an optional nice-to-have. Remote locations, towns, villages, or suburbia, may have very few and / or infrequent bus links at inconvenient times, and no easy access to rail or the metro / underground.

Some places can also be outright hostile for pedestrians in terms of a lack of side-walks / pavement. A couple of my work colleagues went to Orlando on holiday (separately, at different times). They were absolutely baffled by how inaccessible amenities were. One tried to walk to a shopping complex across the road of the hotel he was staying in and there wasn't a way without risking a fine for jaywalking.

I live in a very major city, 3 miles from the city center. I have great and frequent connections into the central hub and live minutes from three bus stops. However, to get anywhere from there onward is where it gets tricky. I spent over 5 hours commuting three times a week for three years (used the time on the trains to study which is done and over now), but I still wouldn't wish it on anyone. A car cuts that journey in half, and the costs are exactly the same.