Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Perfumersapprentice supplies- who uses them?

So after owning over 60+ bottles of colognes, I went down the path of trying to make my own today.

Of course the noob that I am, I went with Perfumersapprentice.com to gather all my supplies. I got about 26 different fragrance oils to cover a wide array of bases, modifiers and top notes.....and grabbed a hefty size of their “perfume base alcohol”.

If anyone here uses this companies supplies, please comment on how you like or dislike them. I’m having a hard time getting anything to remotely smell like a normal designer fragrance. They all smell rather weak and lack that sparkle and punch you get from a designer frag. These all fade away rather quickly and all their fragrance oils even smell pretty weak right out of the bottle source.

Are these fragrance oils they sell actually intended to make perfume/cologne? Or are they really weak oils that don’t need to be diluted with perfumers alcohol?

I made 15 different batches and combinations to learn the notes how they interact with each other.

Right now I’m just testing small batches with the basilica simple formula:

45% base
    20% modifier
    35% top note

Small batches comprise of 1gram of oil to 4grams of perfumers alcohol to get a general 20% EDP concentration.

Should I not be using this company and opt for something more concentrated?

Dependent

Default Re: Perfumersapprentice supplies- who uses them?

Not trying to scare you away but it's almost impossible to make a perfume with no knowledge of formulas and compositions. There is no silver bullet answer or resource either, perfumery is really, really hard. Especially if you're trying to make a designer/niche level product. Hardly any well-known perfume formulas are available to the public, but TGSC has some really basic formulas to give you some direction.

I have not used perfumer apprentice fragrance oils except for the key accords. I found the key accords to be perfectly functional for perfumery use. I've enjoyed everything else they have offered. I believe they are quality and professional.

One thing to be aware of is olfactory fatigue. 15 batches in one day is quite a lot!!! Realistically you might need to do as little as 2% per day for one project. Other ideas like Apell say 2 materials and a 10-minute break outdoors between each set. Olfactory fatigue is no joke. There are some things that will block you immediately if you smell from the bottle. You can also smell one thing and that will block you from things in a similar family. Like smelling cedramber will prevent you from smelling ambroxan etc. There are some overzealous people who have broken their sense of smell for a day and as long as a week!!

You will not be able to compose a designer fragrance right off the bat. Better to research Jean Carles's method and figure out how to make accords that are pleasing to you first.

Dependent

^ Either that or brute trial and error, and yes, olfactory fatigue gets the best of me every time I formulate. And being a driven personality, I like to get everything done in one go, it's hard to know when the right time to stop is. I still have not made anything resembling a quality fragrance after well over 100 formulas and I have 150 ingredients lol. Maybe I should try simplifying my approach...

Yeah, I kinda jumped the gun and just dove right in.

I stared with the basics of Jean Charles methods, started to form my base only by itself....and got that mixture right where I wanted it. Then added my modifiers in small doses (within range to stay in my 20% overall oil composition), and then added in just 2 basic ingredient of top notes to top off the remaining 30-35% oil composition.

The overall oil base is just 1g, and then I add in 4g of perfumers alcohol to dilute it all to a healthy EDP.

The issue I’m having is, no matter what combination of oils, bases, blends I use......the first initial spray smells amazing! But Then it just fades away after 1 hour like it’s some sort of cheap low performance knock off cologne you would find at the dollar store.

So I’m wondering if perfumers apprentice oils are super diluted and I should actually be doing a 50% fragrance oil with 50% perfumers alcohol or something.

Or maybe I’m just not understanding the ingredients and how they are marketed and sold. A good example is I got 2 kinds of Oakmoss from them. One is simply called “oakmoss frangrance oil” and the other is called “oakmoss givco 214”. The givco 214 is wayyyy more potent in odor compared to the other one. Easily 1 drop of that is like 10 drops of the other “oakmoss fragrance oil”.

Basenotes Plus

You should read the MSDS for each fragrance oil, that may tell you the dilution ratio, if any, or just call PA, they are very friendly and helpful.

Lastly, using fragrance oils is a stopgap solution for fragrance creation. Since you have the fragrance oils, just use them to familiarize yourself with their odor profiles, and then graduate to not using them.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Dependent

Yeah the frag oils are just interpretations and combination of ingredients and likely will be weaker than a pure ingredient like Oakmoss Givco. Working with fragrance oils should be easier, but taking a bunch of pre-made frag oils (accords) and putting them together isn't really perfumery IMO, but it's up for debate. Try using the frag oils undiluted or like ethanol 20% and see how they perform.

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    . Since you have the fragrance oils, just use them to familiarize yourself with their odor profiles, and then graduate to not using them.
    What would I graduate to if these are lesser quality oils and components?

I just went back online and got 12 more ingredients, all absolutes and raw presses oils.....no blends. Let’s give these a whirl when they arrive and see what’s up.

But yes, I agree and see now...most of these “bases and accords” they sell are really diluted and weak. I wish they would have stated that on each one so we can clearly see these aren’t necessarily raw materials. It’s going to make this even harder mixing raw materials with already diluted premade “accords”....

Fun fun fun

Annndddd I just placed yet another order for like 25 more core ingredients. Every single one I made sure was a pure core ingredient, and not some watered down “accord”. A lot of crystals too.....never messed with those yet.....we shall see.

This is what I just got to get me started.....this is on top of all the “bases and accords” I already purchased earlier this week.

1. Ambroxan Crystals-8g (0.28 oz) ac-4601-sz2 $15.00 $15.00
    1 Anisic Aldehyde-15ml ac-462-sz3 $4.00 $4.00
    1 Bergamal (IFF)-4ml ac-722-sz1 $3.50 $3.50
    1 Carvone-L-4ml ac-6050_sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    2 Cinnamic Aldehyde FCC-4ml ac-8001-sz1 $3.00 $6.00
    1 Cyclopidene-4ml ac-9800-sz1 $4.00 $4.00
    1 Damascone Beta-4ml ac-9820-sz1 $4.00 $4.00
    1 Dihydro Myrcenol-15ml ac-1020-sz3 $5.00 $5.00
    1 Ebanol® (Givaudan)-15ml ac-1111-sz2 $6.00 $6.00
    1 Ethyl Heptoate - Ethyl Heptanoate - Oenanthic Ether-4ml ac-1160-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Ethyl Propionate **-4ml ac-1255-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Ethyl vanillin-8g (0.28 oz) ac-1240-sz2 $4.00 $4.00
    1 Exaltolide® Total (Firmenich)-4ml ac-9869-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Fixamber (Amber Decatriene, Trimofix O)-4ml ac-9838_sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Geraniol (95)-4ml ac-1420-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Guaiacol (Natural)-4ml ac-1463-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Herboxane (Givaudan)-4ml ac-2207-sz1 $3.50 $3.50
    1 Ionone Alpha (IFF)-4ml ac-1620-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Iso E Super® (IFF) **-4ml ac-1700-sz1 $3.75 $3.75
    1 Isoraldeine® 70 (Givaudan) **-4ml ac-9002-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Karmawood™ (IFF)-4ml ac-725-sz1 $4.00 $4.00
    1 Lavender Aldehyde FCC (Bedoukian)-4ml ac-9878-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Lime Terpenes**-4ml ac-2424-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Linalool-15ml ac-1940-sz3 $6.00 $6.00
    1 Maltol (Crystals)-8g (0.28 oz) ac-2040-sz2 $4.00 $4.00
    1 Mefrosol (Givaudan)-4ml ac-2212-sz1 $3.50 $3.50
    1 Melonal (Givaudan) **-15ml ac-30011-sz3 $6.00 $6.00
    1 Methyl Cyclo Pentenolone-8g (0.28 oz) ac-9815-sz2 $4.00 $4.00
    1 Methyl Ionone Gamma (Coeur) (IFF) **-4ml ac-101-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Musk Ketone **-8g (0.28 oz) ac-2340-sz2 $3.50 $3.50
    1 Nerolione (Symrise) **-4ml ac-9849-sz1 $3.50 $3.50
    1 Peonile® (Givaudan)-4ml ac-2585-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Phenethyl Alcohol (Phenyl Ethyl Alcohol)-4ml ac-2640-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Poivrol® (Symrise)-4ml ac-3202-sz1 $3.50 $3.50
    1 Pyralone (Givaudan)-4ml ac-16422-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Rosamusk BHT (IFF)-4ml ac-2167-sz1 $2.75 $2.75
    1 Rosaphen® (Symrise)-15ml ac-2589_sz3 $4.00 $4.00
    1 Suederal LT ® (IFF)-4ml ac-2945-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Valspice (4 Methyl Guaiacol) (Natural)-4ml ac-9858-sz1 $4.00 $4.00
    1 Vanillin 10 (PG)-15ml fl-107_sz3 $3.25 $3.25
    1 Vanillin Crystals-8g (0.28 oz) ac-3040-sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Violiff (IFF)-4ml ac-4000-sz1 $3.50

1 Amaris wood (Haiti)-15ml eo-100-sz2 $4.50 $4.50
    1 Benzoin (Styrax tonkinensis) 50% Alc **-15ml mt-133-sz3 $5.00 $5.00
    1 Cedarwood (Texas)-30ml eo-161_sz3 $5.00 $5.00
    1 Cinnamon Leaf **-15ml (0.51 fl oz) eo-126_sz1 $4.50 $4.50
    1 Grapefruit (Ruby Red) - Essential Oil (USA)**-4ml eo-5941-sz1 $3.75 $3.75
    1 Juniper Berry France**-4ml eo-6488_sz1 $5.00 $5.00
    1 Labdanum Absolute (50%) **-15ml mt-130-sz2 $6.50 $6.50
    1 Mandarin Red - EO (Italy) **-4ml eo-165-sz1 $4.75 $4.75
    1 Nutmeg India **-4ml eo-6535_sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Patchouli**-4ml eo-6552_sz1 $3.00 $3.00
    1 Pink Grapefruit - USA **-15ml eo-6570-sz2 $5.00 $5.00
    1 Pink Peppercorn Oil P&N**-4ml eo-115_sz1 $7.00 $7.00
    1 Tobacco Absolute 5% in TEC Natural (Fragrance)**-15ml ac-9840_sz2 $5.50 $5.50
    1 Vetiver (Haiti)-4ml eo-162_sz1 $5.50

I wouldn't necessarily say that diluted accords are trash and not useful. You just have to be aware of what you are using. They are useful for learning workflow and composition etc.

It's normal to dilute all kinds of things and it also depends on what system you are working within. You can also use more than you were. It's also normal to dilute things for sampling and for shipping reasons.

It's also good practice to calculate all diluents in use. That of the individual ingredients and what you would have to add at the end. Something diluted to .001% changes the final amount of diluent added by quite a lot. It's also important because in the beginning many people formulate diluted but then they move up and make larger amounts with more pure materials and they don't know how to dilute their final formula anymore to get the same result or they get an inconsistent result.

I use a system where linalool is 100% most other common stronger things are 50% and then it steps 10% and powers of 10 down after that to .0001.

So according to my system, you have bought things that I would say would need to be diluted to 50%, 40%, 10%, 3%, 1% depending on how you work. Even if you work pure making kilos there are at least 3 that IMO will still be diluted.

It is also quite challenging to make a pure linear perfume where the smell stays the same all the way through. Not only is that a challenge for fragrance oils but they are also quite often designed that way on purpose so that people can use them on top of their own bases.

So just guessing but I would say that whatever mixes you were making were fading away because you were short on materials to make them more linear and you were shorter on heart and base notes than you thought.
    Last edited by RSG; 21st February 2020 at 11:16 AM.

Dependent

I guess my fear tactics didn't work good luck and let us know what you got going on.

Hello Bkkorn

Making fragrances is very funny, but before, you need to understand the materials, search about them, learn their uses, odour profile, dilution, tenacity... not buy anything you think is fine only by description, probably you don't find an use for majority, needing buy more and more...

Just is very important searching about before. An advice i can give, is imagine a perfume, search materials that fits and finally buy, in example a rose type perfume needs floral, rose,fruit, fresh notes. Remember that here basenotes diy forum is a very good place to search and learn things, among other net sites. Sometimes books.

Unfortunatelly, fragrance oils are not for fine fragrances, you can find other uses for this, like candles, linen sprays, reed difusers... (i realy thought the fragrance oils in PA are not soluble in alcohol). But exists exceptions.

Using much base notes, they have a good fixation, but projection generally is pessimous. Sometimes not exhales. Much top notes and is too pungent. I prefer to work in the heart of perfume, the middle notes. Don't forget a fragrance need time to macerate/maturate, enter in equilibrium, enhance fixation etc. Start with essential oils and some ACs to give fixation, projection, and turn modern n agreeable.

I think perfumer's alcohol (Base de parfum) is added of some things to give fixation, perhaps this can prejudice some things.
    ''[...] The perfumery is in such a state so badly, that even Johnson's talc lost their essence [...]''
    Currently wearing: Tai Winds by Avon

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Finelikeanoyster View Post
    I think perfumer's alcohol (Base de parfum) is added of some things to give fixation, perhaps this can prejudice some things.
    Alcohol is NOT a fixative. It is simply a carrier of the fragrance molecules.
    You must add raw materials with a long evaporation curve / fixative value to accomplish any fixative effect.
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

'Base de Pafum' from PA is both alcohol and a fixative. 1 bottle contains a mixture of 200proof alcohol (75% of the bottle) and some fixatives and projectors (25% of the remaining bottle)

Perfume Base ingredients:
    75% - 200 proof SDA 40-B (99.88 % Ethanol + 0.12 % t-butyl alcohol)
    25% mix of:

1,3 Propanediol
    Cremophor RH 40®
    Glucam™ P-20
    DPG

Quote Originally Posted by Finelikeanoyster View Post

Great confusion.

I say the alcohol in perfumers apprentice selled under the name base de parfum, have some substances to give fixation.

Adding alcohol as a fixative, this don't exists. Never i would say a foolness like this.

I expect to explain well this. I'm not a natural english speaker, some things can be strange to translate, i speak little english, and google traductor not can help in all words. Sorry to everyone by the confusion and if I was a bit gross
    ''[...] The perfumery is in such a state so badly, that even Johnson's talc lost their essence [...]''

Basenotes Member

While it is cool that you placed a nice size order to familiarize yourself with the ingredients, for certain materials, it's best to grab a larger size. In my opinion, you can never have enough Iso E Super, Sylvamber, Hedione (High HC), Dihydromyrcenol, Benzyl Salicylate, Linalool, Limonene, Linanly Acetate and Verdox. These are the materials I frequently use in larger quantities in accords and blends.

But the only true way to understand these materials is to play with them. Use scent strips to test each material out and decide how you can use them.

Though I don't have much knowledge of what it takes to be a "real" perfumer, the one thing i have successfully deciphered is that they rigorously trained. They know the materials inside and out. So I'd recommend starting with that in the back of your mind always.

So I tried a quick few more batches today, and used a scale that goes down to 0.00 grams to control things a bit more precisely rather than taking notes of drops.

Sticking with a 40% base, 20% mids and 40% top notes for this round. Tried batches of 15% / 85% oils to alcohol ratio for the final results of a generic EDP concentration.

I’m noticing my overall outcome is fairly decent in scent...However my end result is still very lackluster compared to designer frags where as my result doesn’t pop or brightly jump of the skin in the first spray opening at all. It all is actually is very very laid back in terms of projection at the first spray and opening.

So I’m still questioning if perfumers apprentice “house blends accords” oils are diluted (I’ve check their websites many times, their pdf sheets or product pages don’t say if they really are or not) .....or.....I’m wondering if their “base de perfum” perfumers alcohol may be the culprit.

Not quite sure what to think at the moment. Still waiting for a larger shipment to arrive...and playing around for the time being.

After 2 more batches ....I’m noticing a very common occurrence.

All my raw combined ingredients sitting in the beaker once I decided my base/mid/top selections and mixed them how I wanted it.....the over all smell is so weak! And this is before I add in my perfumers alcohol in the final stage to make my edt or EDP concentration.

I’m almost certain all my ingredients I’ve gotten from perfumers apprentice are cut heavily with dpg or alcohol already.....they must be! Why else would all the combined raw ingrediants smell so weak!? It smells like I’m working with light massage oils or something......

Ughhh....

So you have a few things going on here. It'll be up to you to figure out exactly what!

I'm glad you have a scale. If you weren't aware the note percentages you chose is called an hourglass. Really great for large amounts of citrus and aromatic top notes like a cologne that leads into base notes. In other styles of perfumery it can lead to a dead spot in the middle.

It takes a lot to make a designer style fragrance with great top notes. A few things help like more materials, higher impact materials, and precision dosing. Check out the sparkling top notes thread.

Pa's fragrance oils are diluted but there is ones that say full strength and they are not. The key accords are also not diluted.

One thing to know is that often DPG is used for fixative but it can flatten the top notes in order to make them last longer. You might keep the same blend and try a perfumers alcohol like from creatingperfume for example and compare.

Are there any essential oils or synthetics that smell weak to you?

Dependent

Thanks for your inputs RSG. Perhaps he bought a lot of low impact, longer lasting materials. Nothing I have smells weak that I wasn't expecting to be, I do a lot of research on materials before I buy them, so I have expectations on odor impact, longevity etc. However I have never gone through Perfumers Apprentice, only Creating Perfume and Perfumers Supply House so I cannot speak in terms of that supplier but I have doubts something like this would go unmentioned for so long. I am also confused if he's only talking about his perfume oils being weak or his aroma chemicals... or both.... If it is indeed the aroma chemicals/naturals, he can give us some examples of the individual ingredients that he deems weak so we can diagnose this more precisely.

Hey RSG!

Yeah frustration levels are high right now. In all the things I have, to be honest they all smell very weak and diluted. A few examples are:

Cedraamber (IFF)
    sylvamber (DRT)

And whole bunch of their own “key accords” and “fragrance oils” such as:

Oakmoss fragrance oil
    Vetiver fragrance oil (premium)
    amber key accord
    iris Key accord
    Tonka bean key accord
    White grapefruit key accord

This list can go on and on.....

But the only ones that smell strong and potent right out of the bottle source are things like ....Lemon cold pressed (Argentina), teak Firmenich, aldehyde c12 MNA.

It’s weird because almost my entire stock I have right now (mostly premade accords and “fragrance oils” from them) all smell faint when I stick my nose to the bottle source. So even after I blend my oils....diluting them with base de parfum (their perfumers alcohol) ...it now smells even weaker so.

Quote Originally Posted by chyprefresh View Post
    Thanks for your inputs RSG. Perhaps he bought a lot of low impact, longer lasting materials. Nothing I have smells like a weak massage oil, however I have never gone through PA only CP and PSH. So I cannot speak in terms of that supplier but I have doubts something like this would go unmentioned for so long. I am also confused if he's talking about his perfume oils being weak or his aroma chemicals... or both....
    I think you may be right. It could be my expectations were high when I stick my nose to a bottle of something called “vetiver fragrance oil” that my initial reaction would be that it’s extremly potent and strong smelling....but that would be ok because it will be diluted in the final stages.

I just assumed these core raw ingredients would smell a bit overly potent out from their bottle source. Especially an ingredient such as Slyvamber or Cedramber from IFF and DRT which are talked about a lot as good core ingrediants to have....I just assumed they smelled strong from the bottle. But when I open the bottles , I can bare pick up a hint of a scent from them.

But when I’m opening these bottles up, it feels like I’m simply smelling massage oils that smell faint and ready to apply to skin now without dilution

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bkkorn View Post
    Cedraamber (IFF)
    sylvamber (DRT)
    Those are exactly what I was talking about, low impact long lasting materials. When I got my Cedramber and Sylvamber they actually smelled like nothing until a few weeks of oxidation in the dropper bottle, you could start to notice characteristics. They only appear in the later dry down stages of a perfume and last many hours, there are volatile and low impact non-volatile materials. Some people, myself included are somewhat nose blind to certain low impact Iso E Super/Sylvamber materials, and only might get occasional whiffs in a perfume, they are not meant to stand out in any way shape or form.

I did notice your most recent order has quite a few high-impact materials, when you receive them be careful not to breathe in too deep

I can smell cedramber and sylvamber quite well and quite strongly. Seems like you need some nose training. Some things are hard to smell until your brain gets used to them. Smell them daily diluted to 10% They are strong enough to cause anosmia to amber materials for a bit. I only idlute them to 50%.

I have personally ordered the amber and iris key accord. They are not weak but again contain ingredients like ionones and ambroxan notorious for causing anosmia and being hard for untrained noses to smell. But seriously if I sniff on the Iris key I'm done for 30 minutes.

White grapefruit key accord I've also ordered and should smell great and strong right off the bat. This leads me to believe you've given yourself a case of general over-stimulation anosmia. Seriously people have made themselves unable to smell for a week before.

I hope you can smell the teak and the c-12 MNA. I also dilute those to 10%.

Please do not stick your nose into bottle EVER unless you know what you're doing. Most sniffing should be done with diluted samples on strips even if you don't blend that way.

I recommend 2 days off researching. Then 5 dilutions and take a break outdoors between each one. Then blend a 5 material pentachord. Then baby steps after you know how your nose works when it's rested.

Dependent

Yeah I understand, I can notice them now that I have learned not to overstimulate my nose and know what to look for. Back then I was brand new as well and didn't notice them because my brain/nose might have been shot from smelling so many things. It's actually incredible how fragile the olfactory system is, still learning how to maximize my time and avoid digging in too deep. Too much light you go blind, too much odor you go nose-blind.

Certainly as above mentioned, you over-stimulated your nose.

to avaliates correctly your blends let's them rest quiet at least 1 month, to give fixation and projection. This function with me for essential oils, aromachemicals and fragrance oils.

Another, search in the good scents company the common usage levels of your materials. click in 'fragrance demo formulas' in the page of materials, bellow the suppliers. you're redirectioned for a page like this:

http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/...dm1104871.html

So i got my other 2 orders from them. Instead of buying more of thier in-house "blended accords", this new orders containing of raw oils and raw main scents are MUCH BETTER., of course i had to dilute a lot of this stuff down to 10% or less to make it usable (Ambroxan crystals, vanillan crystals, etc), but the individual scents are much more pronounced and punchy.

I feel as if my starting point has now begun and i can start playing around without much limitations now.

as a side note - Methyl Cyclo Pentenolone is such a BEAUTIFUL heavy maple syrup smelling scent....i was pleasantly surprised. Cant wait to mess with it....