Code of Conduct
o
    everyday i'm samplin'

Default Sycomore, Encre Noir, and...

I have recently been sniffing Sycomore EDT. Its great. The aldehydes and vetiver really give it a cool sparkly clarity, then the tobacco and cypress. Its really an enjoyable fragrance. Yall know I'm a bit finicky about my bottles presentation. I decided that I would never own a Chanel, (just cuz). It is often compared to Encre Noir. I hate Encre Noirs bottle, so that is out of the running. Like trying to get me to put another ugly CDNM bottle on my shelf. Give me something else. The cheaper the better, within reason, but price is not the hugest concern. Thoughts?
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Sycomore, Encre Noir, and...

Iíd opt for Sycamore EDT if your able to find a bottle. Encre Noir while nice I never seen as a daily driver fragrance imo, EN Sport more so itís quite versatile I agree the bottles are odd Iím ok with them though. The Chanel is very versatile according to feedback and the bottle is very nice, the blending of course will be excellent I think it would serve you well if you enjoy it from testing.

everyday i'm samplin'

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I’d opt for Sycamore EDT if your able to find a bottle. Encre Noir while nice I never seen as a daily driver fragrance imo, EN Sport more so it’s quite versatile I agree the bottles are odd I’m ok with them though. The Chanel is very versatile according to feedback and the bottle is very nice, the blending of course will be excellent I think it would serve you well if you enjoy it from testing.
    EN sport is pretty nice. Id own it, if not for the bottle. I'd pay for Sycomore, if only it were made by someone else. I'm a Chanel boycott.
    You need to put three similar fragrances together:
    Sycomore + Encre Noir + X = 3 similar fragrances.
    Solve for X.
    Itís tragic to think that heroic manís great destiny is to become economic man, that men will be reduced to craven creatures who crawl across the globe competing for money, who spend their nights dreaming up new ways to swindle each other.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by notspendingamillion View Post
    EN sport is pretty nice. Id own it, if not for the bottle. I'd pay for Sycomore, if only it were made by someone else. I'm a Chanel boycott.
    You need to put three similar fragrances together:
    Sycomore + Encre Noir + X = 3 similar fragrances.
    Solve for X.
    Rip the label off hehe, I just read bout this one “Private Label by Jovoy Paris” sounds like a nice darker vetiver!
    ďI find fragrance to be such a mood enhancer and definitely a seduction tool.Ē

To me, EN a l’Extreme is the fragrance most like Sycomore that I’ve smelled, but it lacks a certain bit of finesse that makes it less wearable.

Perhaps EDLO’s Fat Electrician might tickle those same neurons, but it’s even less “classy” than the Chanel.

Couldn’t you just decant the Lalique into a bottle you like? (I personally think the EN bottles are pretty nice, like all the Laliques).
    Currently wearing: Pour Un Homme by Caron

Banned

I have recently been sniffing Sycomore EDT. Its great. The aldehydes and vetiver really give it a cool sparkly clarity, then the tobacco and cypress. Its really an enjoyable fragrance. Yall know I'm a bit finicky about my bottles presentation. I decided that I would never own a Chanel, (just cuz). It is often compared to Encre Noir. I hate Encre Noirs bottle, so that is out of the running. Like trying to get me to put another ugly CDNM bottle on my shelf. Give me something else. The cheaper the better, within reason, but price is not the hugest concern. Thoughts?
    There is none. Sycomore edt is the best Vetiver Iíve ever smelled and nothing else is close imo

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

I’d opt for Sycamore EDT if your able to find a bottle.
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    There is none. Sycomore edt is the best Vetiver I’ve ever smelled and nothing else is close imo
    This is the correct answer. FWIW, I have the recent EDP version also, and while it is great, the EDT is just perfect.
    Currently wearing: London by Roja Dove

I have yet to try the EDT of Sycomore, but I have owned two different 6.8oz of the EDP. The EDP, without a doubt, is in my top 5 all time cool weather list. I would love to track down a EDT though!

Rasasi has one called Rasasi Woody, the bottle would definitely be worse then the ones you mentioned, but it has a very natural Vetiver smell.

Happen to personally consider all the fragrances mentioned in both the initial post and all reply posts so far as very good examples for vetiver-but might be also in part due to being a long term vetiver favorite anyway.

In fact so much so as to not having encountered a bad vetiver fragrance yet-at least among all fragrances from the most mass market and affordable to the most fairly exclusive niche offerings tested and/or owned to this point.

If recommending a few more vetiver options most of whom affordable, although not all necessarily along the lines of Sycomore, have so far had experiences for comparatively reasonable prices worth recommending for (re) testing with-including but not limited to:

- most of the TDH range (perhaps to a lesser extent the regular EDT and more in the case of the Parfum, Eau Intense Vetiver and Eau Tres Fraiche versions),

- Ginepro Nero by l'Erbolario,

- Chopard Noble Vetiver,

- Lanvin Vetyver,

- Adolfo Dominguez Vetiver Hombre,

- l'Occitane Eau de Vetyver,

- the current Vetiver Carven without necessarily needing the vintage,

- Azzaro Pure Vetiver

- Eau de Cartier Vetiver Bleu

to name only a few. However not fully certain and thus reliable as to which extent most or even all of these manage to be closer to Sycomore and less to the Encre Noire fragrance series, if and as much as possible.

So you're looking for a vetiver similar to Sycomore edt that is in a nice looking bottle.

Off the top of my head, Lubin Vetiver is a vetiver and looks good-in a 60s hippie-LSD aesthetic. It's not as dry as Sycomore EDT, but it's good, with incense. Niche so not cheap but not extortionary either. (Lubin used to have arguably the nicest bottle for a perfume with Idole edt-but it's not a vetiver, plus now it only comes in edp).

I like said Etat Libre d'Orange bottles, but sadly they don't have the logos on their bottles (why...). With the exception of tom of finland, which is not a vetiver either.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

It might help if you gave us some idea of what you consider acceptable bottle design. I looked at your wardrobe, but I couldn't see any consistent design ethic at work there.

I'm a fanatic about Sycomore EDT, and I detest Encre Noir. But I actually love Encre Noir a L'Extreme. It's a gorgeous woody vetiver scent, without all the muddy inky goo that's in the original. It ain't Sycomore, but then nothing is.

And personally, I think the bottle is very handsome -- masculine and forceful. Since you find the Dior Homme bottles acceptable, I can't imagine why this one wouldn't pass muster.

I agree with the person above who suggested Fat Electrician - nothing is like Sycomore, but if you're looking for a "warm" vetiver, as opposed to something fresh, it's a good option.
    Currently wearing: Diorella by Christian Dior

Sycomore and Encre Noir do smell very similar to me. I've had them on both wrists to compare and was impressed with the similarity.

My suggestion for X, with a big caveat, is Grey Vetiver EDT. I had a small sample and thought it was squarely in the Encre Noire/Sycomore ballpark (and quite different from original Grey Vetiver). The caveat is that to this day I'm suspicious that that sample was a mixup and was actually Encre Noire.

Etro Vetiver CdG Black
    Spring Equinox : with lighter leathers, greens and fougeres, and a few florals. FBs : Etro Gomma and Dianthus; Hermes Equipage and Equipage Geranium; Aramis Tuscany. Samples/decants : Penhaligon's Sartorial and Ostara; KnizeTen, Sec, and Forest; Piguet Futur ; Heeley Cuir Pleine Fleur

everyday i'm samplin'

Lots of great avenues to search. Thanks for the input! Im seeing my next meander must be vetiver.

Those are two of my favorite scents, but I haven't encountered anything that is as similar to either of them as they are to one another. Proraso Cypress and Vetiver has a similar vibe, but may not meet your presentation standards (it also doesn't perform all that well). Montale Greyland is sort of in the same vein, but with the addition of ginger, pepper, dry spices and more wood to flesh it out. CdG Wonderwood is not too far either, although that's more woods than vetiver.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Basenotes Plus

Lots of great avenues to search. Thanks for the input! I’m seeing my next meander must be vetiver.
    There are one or two long, detailed threads surveying a wide range of vetivers. These are well worth reading. Everyone’s preferences are different, but I can only say that after trying a smattering of classics, I found Encre Noire disappointingly flat. I have yet to smell either Sycomore or Encre Noire ŗ l’ExtrÍme.

Freed from BN Institution

I’d opt for Sycamore EDT if your able to find a bottle. Encre Noir while nice I never seen as a daily driver fragrance imo, EN Sport more so it’s quite versatile I agree the bottles are odd I’m ok with them though. The Chanel is very versatile according to feedback and the bottle is very nice, the blending of course will be excellent I think it would serve you well if you enjoy it from testing.
    I would stick to Sycomore EDT, it's one of the better vetivers imo. Dior Vetiver is good too.

Another one that has been mentioned is Elie Saab Vetiver
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I would stick to Sycomore EDT, it's one of the better vetivers imo. Dior Vetiver is good too.

Another one that has been mentioned is Elie Saab Vetiver
    I own and love Elie Saab Vetiver, but I find it to be more in the vein of Guerlain Vetiver than Sycomore or EN. It's a bit more herbaceous, grassy and rounded, and has an interesting clove undertone to it. Either way as a vetiver in general Elie Saab is great, and an amazing deal on discounters (I got mine BNIB - not even a tester - for ~$55).
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

EN smells like honeyed wet plywood from Home Depot, plus a blast of Iso E super. Sycomore is the same smell but sweetened slightly.

Dependent

It isn’t cheap but my favorite vetiver of the style is Haitian Vetiver by Zegna. I have Sycomore but reach for the Zegna far more often.

All Is Beautiful

Just bought the current Sycamore EDP

EDT very very expensive
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

For some other darker varieties of vetiver:

Private Label

Or

Oriza L. Le Grand Vetiver de Bourbon (actually don’t remember if this one is dark or smoky, but I do remember really liking it)

Or

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Route du Vetiver (very nice and dark)

But my favorite recent Vetiver that I would love to recommend is Elie Saab Vetiver Essence No. 6. However it’s a much grassier, brighter Vetiver, not the dark smoke of Sycomore.
    *My current wardrobe is up to date as of: 12/26/19*

I recently bought over two ounces of some great Haitian vetiver EO for far less than a 75ml of bottle of Sycomore EDP.

When it comes to vetiver fragrances, the fragrance industry is practically fleecing you.

everyday i'm samplin'

Anybody tried Le Loden by Fath?