Code of Conduct
o

Default Fragrance History: "Ancient School" perfumes, perfumes from Ancient Greece, Rome and Middle East

I am fascinated by the ancient world, especially the golden age in Athens (500-300BC), the roman empire, and the Persian empire. I would very much like to buy perfumes that follow the recipes, notes and accords used in those times. I know that the greeks used scented olive oil, and I am sure that other civilizations had their own fragrances.

So, which houses created perfumes based on the ones used in the ancient world? Please help! I must have these perfumes.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Fragrance History: "Ancient School" perfumes, perfumes from Ancient Greece, Rome and Middle East

I imagine that saffron must have been important in ancient Persian perfumery.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

All Is Beautiful

Default Re: Fragrance History: "Ancient School" perfumes, perfumes from Ancient Greece, Rome and Middle East

Elixir attars
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

I have posted a link to an interesting article

look here for more

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/465...mes?highlight=

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    I have posted a link to an interesting article

look here for more

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/465...mes?highlight=
    It is fascinating, and a pity that they did not incorporate those three perfumes to their collection!

Blog Entries

l love ancient history, too!

l think you might enjoy Aftelier's Ancient Resins.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.
    Currently wearing: Stella by Stella McCartney

Have once read an article published out of all magazines in National Geographic rather than a more fashion/style/perfume/pharmacy etc. related one about a certain company that specializes in historical recreation of scents associated with famous historical personalities and periods from the past.

Unfortunately, having read this article a long time ago while in highschool, in traditional print from and long before scans, homepages etc. of major press outlets were commonplace, cannot seem to find any link to this.

Still, with all the disappointment and inconvenience to not find the respective article, was nevertheless rejoiced that at least in theory almost any historical fragrance, style, fashion, fad, peculiarity can be recreated/reconstructed even from limited, minimal, at best sketchy hints. As long as there is a certain curiousness and willingness from certain downright fragrance mavericks and enthusiasts.
    Currently wearing: Zara Man Gold by Zara

Aesop used to have a perfume called Mystra which, while not exactly based on an ancient recipe, was made of ingredients common back then. But I think it was discontinued. Occasionally I head of recreations of the Egyptian perfume kyphi (from a recipe in Herodotus), but I am not aware of any such reconstruction in current production.

If you are ever in Paris, you can check whether the Osmotheque (the perfume school and repository) has smelling sessions. They do have reconstructions of ancient perfumes (but not for sale, just for smelling).

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Have once read an article published out of all magazines in National Geographic rather than a more fashion/style/perfume/pharmacy etc. related one about a certain company that specializes in historical recreation of scents associated with famous historical personalities and periods from the past.

Unfortunately, having read this article a long time ago while in highschool, in traditional print from and long before scans, homepages etc. of major press outlets were commonplace, cannot seem to find any link to this.
    It might have been the article that led to this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Perfume-Scien.../dp/0792273788

Also of potential interest:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...led-180972854/

And somewhat less ancient, but still related:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...e-9792347.html

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    It might have been the article that led to this book:

https://www.amazon.com/Perfume-Scien.../dp/0792273788

Also of potential interest:

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...led-180972854/

And somewhat less ancient, but still related:

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...e-9792347.html

Thank you for the links, bringing up not just memories but also inspiring further searches for additional knowledge and info.
    Currently wearing: Zara Man Gold by Zara

Hey guys, I found something! This:

Capturar.JPG

From the official site: An imaginary voyage back to the time of Alexander the Great when, at night, spices and resins were burned. The smoke took on their sweet, balmy accents that soothed the soul and offered repose to the body. Slowly, they prepared for the morrow and the great conquests to come.

From Basenotes: "Based on a description of a scent used at the time of Alexander the Great"

I am gonna buy it now!
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"

Eau lente is a very good perfume and I like it. But it's a modern perfume, no relation to anything ancient. The house seems to have taken inspiration from antiquity elsewhere as well, as in the sadly discontinued Virgilio.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Eau lente is a very good perfume and I like it. But it's a modern perfume, no relation to anything ancient. The house seems to have taken inspiration from antiquity elsewhere as well, as in the sadly discontinued Virgilio.

cacio
    The construction of Eau Lente is modern, right? But they did use a combination of ancient notes in it. I am gonna try it.

I do have a sample of Virgilio, but I did not like it very much because it reminds me of leaf sap, of a bad kind!

There are spices in Eau Lente, some of which existed back then as well-so in this sense it could be inspired. In any case, a good perfume worth trying.

I guess Virgil's humble herbs (myricae) didn't hit the marks there... I actually like the perfume Virgilio, thyme and herbs to my nose.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    The construction of Eau Lente is modern, right? But they did use a combination of ancient notes in it.
    I would argue that any fragrance employing naturals—or even, depending on how you define "notes," merely emulating them—is using "a combination of ancient notes." Notes matter, of course—there were no ancient ambroxan bombs—but I should think construction is essential to differentiating ancient fragrances from modern.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    I would argue that any fragrance employing naturals—or even, depending on how you define "notes," merely emulating them—is using "a combination of ancient notes." Notes matter, of course—there were no ancient ambroxan bombs—but I should think construction is essential to differentiating ancient fragrances from modern.
    Yes yes, what I really want is to find a perfume built in "the ancient way" and that smells like the ancient fragrances. But this is something difficult to achieve. I have to be satisfied with what is offered.

OMG OMG

Guys, I've just received this email from the Greeks. Read below. They do sell commercially one of the perfumes that were in the museum exhibition! (But only in their physical stores in Greece). OMG

Dear Andrei,

Thank you for reaching out.

The three scents of antiquity –namely Aphrodite’s Rose, Coriander and Sage – were revived by KORRES following invitation by the National Archaeological Museum and exhibited in the context of the contemporary exhibition “The Countless Aspects of Beauty” that has now reached an end.

Aphrodite’s Rose Fragrance is the eau de toilette we designed, based on the notes of the aromatic oil that was exhibited at the Museum. It is available exclusively in Greece at KORRES stand-alone stores (for more information regarding KORRES stores in Greece, please visit https://www.korres.com/en/where-to-buy
    Global Presence - KORRES NATURAL PRODUCTS
    Thank you! We’re happy to greet you as a new subscriber to our email newsletter. We have sent a link to the email address you’ve specified. Please use that link to verify your email address and complete your registration.

Kindest Regards

Katerina