Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Luca Turin Cult

o

Default Re: Luca Turin Cult

Mr. Turin is obviously someone very good at what he is doing professionally which by the way isn’t being a perfume-maker.
    Analyzing molecules doesn’t automatically promote someone to a perfume genius and it certainly doesn’t mean that his most beloved perfumes would automatically become my favourites.
    I have bought his last book because I wanted to find out myself why he has become so respected among a group of people.
    I haven’t even started reading it though because after taking a quick look I have realised that it presents no interest to me personally.
    There was no chemistry or science in it just objective opinions on perfumes, most of them pretty short and not particularly inspiring.
    I am not trying to criticise or being disrespectful but there is only one nose I trust. Mine. Even if it can’t analyse molecules or write impressive perfume reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Luca, again: I respect you and really enjoy your writing very much.
    My words were not against you (as a matter of fact, against nothing).
    Best,
    BruceB
    There have been dozens of virtually identical threads on this exact subject and I have never taken them personally. I myself frequently quote critcs of music, film and books (even cars) whose opinion I respect and have often bought a product they recommend sight unseen (not a car, I own an old one and will keep it as long as possible). I simply do not understand what the problem is that you refer to in the OP, and in any event it is not of my or Tania Sanchez's making.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by luca turin View Post
    There have been dozens of virtually identical threads on this exact subject and I have never taken them personally. I myself frequently quote critcs of music, film and books (even cars) whose opinion I respect and have often bought a product they recommend sight unseen (not a car, I own an old one and will keep it as long as possible). I simply do not understand what the problem is that you refer to in the OP, and in any event it is not of my or Tania Sanchez's making.
    As someone who hops between multiple hobbyist communities or "fandoms", I figured out long ago that letting fans dictate the value of something or someone is effectively letting them "gatekeep", and hurts the state of the hobby (look at Star Wars). While I'm not comparing your books or reviews to a movie franchise, in a similar fashion I'd not judge your works based on fan proselytizing or condemnation thereof, because that's me letting them control how I'd see you, and unfair to you.

Much a do has been made already about the toxicity of obsessive Aventus fans by myself elsewhere on these forums, but I still sampled, enjoyed, and bought the stuff (discounted), but I only wear it now and then when I'm too dizzy from spin-clapping and shouting "beastmode" at passers-by. I'd take an overzealous reader of yours over the oncoming Fragbro Apocalypse anyday. I mean, can you load a shotgun with compliments? That might stem the tide.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil
    Currently wearing: Vigorate by Avon

Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I mean, can you load a shotgun with compliments? That might stem the tide.
    I laughed far too much at this!

I enjoy reading reviews myself (both from Luca Turin and others, I try to read as many reviews on a fragrance as I can even after I buy it, just to see what other people get from it). I don't get people who feel the need to model their own opinions off of any single person's, reviewer or otherwise ("compliment getters"), but reviews are a great place to start and have even, in some cases, caused me to take a second look at a fragrance I feel I might have wrote off too quickly earlier on in my fragrance journey.
    Currently wearing: Patiala by Thameen

I'm a fan of Luca's and Tania's writing. I always enjoy well-worded, tongue in cheek texts that are both informative and fun. I'm also a fan of Zealot Crusader's, Cook.bot's, ClaireV's, RedneckPerfumisto's and some other people's reviews and comments here. Where can I sign up for some fangirling?

Then again, I do understand that opinion is an opinion and sometimes everything is just a matter of taste or perspective. I do like many things that are bashed by Luca and some others. I do not like some things that are considered masterpieces. I do agree on some others. It's all okay. My taste (or lack of it) is mine, but the joy of reading a good and fun(ny) text about perfume is universal!
    Thank you for writing about perfume.
    Currently wearing: Méharées by L'Erbolario

No problem at all related to you or Tania Sanchez. Only respect for your work. Believe me.
    Best wishes,
    BruceB
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

PS:
    One thing for sure: this thing went out of my hands now.

The profound levels of ignorance and misinformation in these threads are staggering. It feels like I must be witnessing the lowest levels of consciousness at a T**** rally.

Thanks, Luca, as always for continuing to share your work with the world, for staying the course of quality regardless of popular trends. Of course there will always be those who understand your brilliance and many for whom it’s out of reach. Time, experience and recognition of your talent by the perfume industry, that is, those from the same realm of expertise on the subject of perfume as yourself, forms the basis of lasting credibility. Your addition of wit and style brings your work into a literary level. Unique.

-- Also, I'm really enjoying the older reviews from your recently published book Perfumes: Parfums Le Guide 1994. https://tinyurl.com/rc98f52. A young Luca, less critical, more poetic. It'll be a lot easier for some people to ponder.
    Last edited by pluran; 1st March 2020 at 12:32 AM.

Just keep doing what you're doing. I appreciate reading thoughtful and articulate ideas about perfumes, even if I don't always agree with them. It can help make navigating the landscape much easier.
    Currently wearing: Mitzah by Christian Dior

Mr Turin,
    Now that I had the chance to have changed some words with you (believe me, I could not see that one coming) and as a way to compensate the way that those words were changed, I would like to ask you:
    If anybody have the chance to gift you a parfum (I´d love to, but I cant ) and you could pick (just one): What parfum would it be?
    Best wishes,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Mr Turin,
    Now that I had the chance to have changed some words with you (believe me, I could not see that one coming) and as a way to compensate the way that those words were changed, I would like to ask you:
    If anybody have the chance to gift you a parfum (I´d love to, but I cant ) and you could pick (just one): What parfum would it be?
    Best wishes,
    BruceB
    Thank you BruceB for this kind offer (seriously, I have all the perfumes anyone could wish for) and thank all of you for your kind words. I assure you no offence was taken. I have over the years been sustained, encouraged and gratified by the support on Basenotes, and have always enjoyed reading about all the different takes on fragrance expressed by brilliant writers in the threads. We are lucky that perfumery is undergoing a renaissance at the moment, and we should try to enjoy the ride. Btw, still trying to figure out what a spinclap is.

Thank you BruceB for this kind offer (seriously, I have all the perfumes anyone could wish for) and thank all of you for your kind words. I assure you no offence was taken. I have over the years been sustained, encouraged and gratified by the support on Basenotes, and have always enjoyed reading about all the different takes on fragrance expressed by brilliant writers in the threads. We are lucky that perfumery is undergoing a renaissance at the moment, and we should try to enjoy the ride. Btw, still trying to figure out what a spinclap is.
    <3

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

The spin clap is the thing Jeremy Fragrance does at the beginning of all his videos. He's become the Ryan Seacrest of the perfume industry, and his own perfume line is the nadir of designer pathology both olfactive-wise and price-wise. Like Levar Burton said on Reading Rainbow: "but you don't have to take MY word for it", go see for yourself! He's nothing if not entertaining.

What a gentleman! What a scholar!

Lest we let good manners and basic human decency go unpunished on the Internet, may I present to you, The ‘Teach Luca Turin to Spin Clap’ Basenotes Challenge of 2020
    Currently wearing: Jules by Christian Dior

Luca has a depth of knowledge few others have. This is why his opinion holds so much weight.

If you are scouting players for a baseball team, whose opinion would you trust more: that of random person who has only seen a couple games on TV, or that of someone who played professional ball from the age of 19 until 35 and then and managed a team for 25 years after that? Experience = expertise, and expertise in any field holds more value. That's my take on it. Many of Luca's reviews I initially disagreed with but a decade later I found myself agreeing. I can be slow to come around on a fragrance whereas Luca doesn't have to deal with that kind of learning curve. That's not to say he is infallible (I still tell myself his 5 star review of Lubin's pedestrian Korrigan was a printing error) but more often than not I trust his wisdom.

Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

I don't have a doctorate in this field like he does, so I'll never match the technical knowledge and expertise of Luca Turin, even in a lifetime of smelling and writing.
    A doctorate in chemistry doesn't make anyone an expert in fragrances, trust me. Some of his previous work has been seriously questionned by some of his peers. I suggest not to be too impressed by PhD holders, otherwise you will often be disappointed!

Edit: I just noticed that he is an active member of BN, and took part to this thread. Just to clarify: I am stating facts, this is no personal attack.
    Currently wearing: LAVS by Unum

Basenotes Junkie Andy the frenchy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
    Luca has a depth of knowledge few others have. This is why his opinion holds so much weight.

He is a chemist, not a perfumer. Like Oenologist and Sommelier are two different jobs. Like clinician and researcher. Like a cook and a food critic.
    When some try to do both, they often don't do any of them well. My personal opinion is that it is again the case here.
    Currently wearing: LAVS by Unum

Quote Originally Posted by Andy the frenchy View Post
    He is a chemist, not a perfumer. Like Oenologist and Sommelier are two different jobs. Like clinician and researcher. Like a cook and a food critic.
    When some try to do both, they often don't do any of them well. My personal opinion is that it is again the case here.
    🙂 For the record, I am not and have never been a chemist! As for criticism from my peers, I would be alarmed if there weren’t any. Only insignificant work elicits none.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

 For the record, I am not and have never been a chemist!
    Thanks to the statute of limitations, and a great intellectual movement called "Learn to Code", I now make this claim as well!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

The only degree I have comes in a deodorant stick.

*ba dum tish*

I'll see myself out now.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

The only degree I have comes in a deodorant stick....
    That's the only one my wife gives a damn about!

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Thanks to the statute of limitations, and a great intellectual movement called "Learn to Code", I now make this claim as well!
    Love the idea of a statute of limitations on degrees!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Love the idea of a statute of limitations on degrees!
    Could have saved Harvard a few recent headaches!

Basenotes Junkie

Whether folks on here make references to what LT/TS think of a fragrance is of no consequence. A critics job is to recommend or dissuade, and indirectly, to guide the reader through a particular thought process and a particular evaluation process, so that they approach art, perfume etc. in a way that deepens their own knowledge, tastes, and analytical / evaluative powers. Whether or not you agree with this or that review is the least important part of the critic / non critic relationship. It is simply not possible for critics to have 100% agreement with their audience, nor is it important. What is vitally important is that they open up new worlds and new modes, skills etc. for looking at those worlds.

Luca and Tania have almost single handedly made the world appreciate that Perfumery is a valid art form. Clearly there were some early trail blazers before them, but the mainstream crossover, is really down to them. A not insignificant achievement.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul P View Post
    Clearly there were some early trail blazers before them, but the mainstream crossover, is really down to them.
    Thank you. I'm actually curious about what precursors you may have found dating back pre-1992. I've heard of some things published in the 70s but never found them.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    The profound levels of ignorance and misinformation in these threads are staggering. It feels like I must be witnessing the lowest levels of consciousness at a T**** rally.
    Wow - tell me how you really feel about people like me. This is why Basenotes should remain non-political and I'm shocked the moderators let this comment slide.
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    Wow - tell me how you really feel about people like me. This is why Basenotes should remain non-political and I'm shocked the moderators let this comment slide.
    You have to report comments for them to notice.

As for Luca Turin Cult, when are we getting the next new album? (Don't Fear) The Flanker was a pretty solid tune.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Thank you. I'm actually curious about what precursors you may have found dating back pre-1992. I've heard of some things published in the 70s but never found them.
    Roudnitska's book was first published in 1980, but obviously a different beast.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4203386-le-parfum

I once found a book on cosmetic science from even before then, possibly the late 60's, which contained a chapter on fragrance by Roudnitska in English. It discussed more art than science, mostly basic aesthetics of fragrance for young industry people. I kick myself monthly for not buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Roudnitska's book was first published in 1980, but obviously a different beast.
    I've always found Roudnitska's prose mostly impenetrable. His desire to raise perfume to the level of "serious" art is understandable given his talent. However, those who think "serious", i.e. academic, contemporary visual or musical art is the standard of what needs to be taken seriously need their heads examined.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast