Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Luca Turin Cult

o

Default Luca Turin Cult

Hello,
    I haven´t read L. Turin and T. Sanchez books. I have too because I enjoy their way of approaching parfums and the way they write (I only read his blogs).

But I can´t stand when someone said: "Luca Turin thinks this, Luca Turin thinks that" as a way of justify something.
    When Luca Turin or anybody else says something, the only thing that those words prove are that had been said by them. Nothing else.

Too much.

Best wishes,
    BruceB
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

Default Re: Luca Turin Cult

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Hello,
    I haven´t read L. Turin and T. Sanchez books. I have too because I enjoy their way of approaching parfums and the way they write (I only read his blogs).

But I can´t stand when someone said: "Luca Turin thinks this, Luca Turin thinks that" as a way of justify something.
    When Luca Turin or anybody else says something, the only thing that those words prove are that had been said by them. Nothing else.
    Too much.Best wishes, BruceB
    LOL. It is always good to make up your own mind about things, and follow your own path. But I do like to read what "experts" have to say. For instance, I was passionate about the late Roger Ebert's movie reviews, even though I did not *always* agree with what he wrote. Do you hold any grudge against Luca, for whatever reasons? Or is it just that people trust him too much?
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"

I could not care less about what he says. Have you read his comments on his blog about Xerjoff fragrances? Enough not to take him seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    LOL. It is always good to make up your own mind about things, and follow your own path. But I do like to read what "experts" have to say. For instance, I was passionate about the late Roger Ebert's movie reviews, even though I did not *always* agree with what he wrote. Do you hold any grudge against Luca, for whatever reasons? Or is it just that people trust him too much?
    Not at all! As I said: I enjoy reading him and the way he thinks. It is very interesting. I don´t like the Pope status.
    When somebody says that he or she don´t like a parfum because Luca Turin says this or that.
    Best,
    BruceB

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    I could not care less about what he says. Have you read his comments on his blog about Xerjoff fragrances? Enough not to take him seriously.
    No, I have not.
    I think he is a very interesting thinker.
    But he is not the cult leader or something like that.
    Best wishes,
    BruceB

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Grandma used to say that you're only an expert until someone disagrees, then you're a know-it-all.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

It is always good to make up your own mind about things, and follow your own path.
    This.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Grandma used to say that you're only an expert until someone disagrees, then you're a know-it-all.
    Crusader, I must declare that IMO your reviews on the Directory are really useful and full of incredibly good information, and express my admiration. I guess you are NOT a know-it-all. LOL

For me, my opinion is the best opinion and the only one that's going to make me change my mind.

LT's opinion is just an opinion. I don't respect or disrespect his more than anyone else's. We agree on some things and disagree on some things.
    Basenotes sales: TDC de Bachmakov, Atelier Vetiver Fatal, Tiffany for Men mini, 17 Cuba Paris frags, L'Essence de Cerruti, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/472...ples-amp-More!

Crystal Flacon sales: Prelude to Love, Noir de Noir, SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    Hello,

Too much.

Best wishes,
    BruceB
    Very much agree with what I have bolded above.

I personally believe that very few people here quote Luca and are saying anything more than "Luca believes this" - ALTHOUGH (and this is clearly a really big "although"), many of us believe that he has a highly INFORMED opinion (e.g., I personally have not picked Maurice Roucel's brain about fragrance or the industry). Luca also makes a lot of excellent sensory and stylistic observations about fragrances - even those for which we radically disagree on worthiness. However, the simple fact is that Luca values different things than I do. Vintage Porsche do not interest me as much as the latest Toyota or what they did to the exhaust placement on this year's Mini Cooper Sport.

A fun and enjoyable discussion ensues, complete with much ado about beautiful nothing which becomes something!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

I haven't tried this brand yet (will soon), BUT,

What did Luca do? Did he mention that Xerjoff is kind of a funny name, and that it reminded him of one of the favorite pastimes of teenagers?

LOL

Edit: (I am just trying to be light hearted, guys. You know that, right? See my signature!)

I feel the same way, there was a time I enjoyed reading what he had to say.

These days his "status" is sort of eroding and he seems to be fading into obscurity with the newer enthusiasts. I did read his comments on Xerjoff, which were ridiculous. They seemed more like a rant from someone who had made up their mind long before they even had the fragrance in their hands.

At then end of the day everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and his doesn't mean anything more than the next person.
    Currently wearing: Cool Water by Davidoff

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Crusader, I must declare that IMO your reviews on the Directory are really useful and full of incredibly good information, and express my admiration. I guess you are NOT a know-it-all. LOL
    I barely know what I'm talking about most of the time but I'm glad you like what I write. I appreciate Turin's candor even if I don't always agree.

A powerful basenoter once wrote:

"Anything from this man, whether he loves, hates, or is ambivalent about a topic, is always written in a way that proves entertaining, insightful, and respectful to those who disagree with him. That last part is something many of us here need to work on.He's a great standard for the rest of us cuckoo frag heads."

I've never read either the blog or the books by LT, and I know little about him, but I TEND to believe that it can be useful to get information from people who are experts, in the sense that they probably have vast knowledge and trained themselves to generate insights about something. Such as my reading of Roger Ebert's reviews.

I've never read either the blog or the books by LT, and I know little about him, but I TEND to believe that it can be useful to get information from people who are experts, in the sense that they probably have vast knowledge and trained themselves to generate insights about something. Such as my reading of Roger Ebert's reviews.
    I think it's more appropriate to liken perfume critics to food critics as smell and taste are more closely related. Movie critics may pick up more closely on plot holes and this has more to do with observation and understanding than something much more subjective like taste or smell. The best thing is to find a reviewer with similar tastes to yourself, whether that is Luca Turin or someone else here on Basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    I think it's more appropriate to liken perfume critics to food critics as smell and taste are more closely related. Movie critics may pick up more closely on plot holes and this has more to do with observation and understanding than something much more subjective like taste or smell. The best thing is to find a reviewer with similar tastes to yourself, whether that is Luca Turin or someone else here on Basenotes.
    Yes, I am even considering to hire Crusader to give me suggestions on future directions for my collection. He offers these services.

I also believe that cinema can be an art form. It deals with images and sounds, with two of our senses. Images and sounds can trigger feelings, good and bad sensations, memories, ideas. Kind of like Perfumes, which stimulate our olfactory sense.

Basenotes Plus

I consider his reviews more of a guide to which perfumes I should expand and branch out to. He lists highly some smaller brands that I wouldn't have given second thought to and have now tried (and loved) because they were featured in his guides. I do have to admit I like seeing him take down some of the more mainstream mall brands with a quick sentence though.

However, if I like it, I like it and will continue to buy and wear it.
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.

I enjoy reading reviews just to read them, to see if there are any fragrances I need to check out that sound interesting based on them, or any concerns about longevity and performance that might impact the bottle size I buy.

I don't take anyone's words as a be all or end all. I enjoyed Sunshine Woman in the drydown (was unsure and leaning towards no in the opening) which Luca Turin did not like.

That being said, I'm into wine pretty heavily, and in the wine community Robert Parker is the one everyone models their taste after. No matter what you are into, there will always be influential critics. Look at their opinions as a place to start or perhaps discover new things, but don't discount something you like based on them.

Just my 2c.
    Currently wearing: Bee by Zoologist Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by HFMIII View Post
    This is exactly why I tend to ask Basenotes if there is something I'm debating about. If there's something I'm 100% yes or 100% no on, of course I'll go with my instinct. But people who own the fragrance, who have worn it more than I have and tested it out of a regular atomizer and not a sample might have more to say about something that I'm on the fence about buying, for better or for worse. While that won't make or break my final decision, it is something to consider.

I also enjoy hearing from people with similar tastes to me about fragrances they love and that I might be interested in checking out!
    Currently wearing: Bee by Zoologist Perfumes

All Is Beautiful

Luca Turin is a very good writer and a great resource.

Zealot Crusader is as good or better, by the way. There are a few others who know a lot and can write, not many.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    This is exactly why I tend to ask Basenotes if there is something I'm debating about. If there's something I'm 100% yes or 100% no on, of course I'll go with my instinct. But people who own the fragrance, who have worn it more than I have and tested it out of a regular atomizer and not a sample might have more to say about something that I'm on the fence about buying, for better or for worse. While that won't make or break my final decision, it is something to consider.

I also enjoy hearing from people with similar tastes to me about fragrances they love and that I might be interested in checking out!
    The very act of suggestion as we talk about our perceptions is powerful, and I find other people's observations about what they like or dislike in fragrances potentially very compelling. Smart but "not obvious upon inspection" observations are the best. The fragrance community is a fascinating laboratory of the viral nature of perceptions, categorizations, and the psychology of affection/disaffection.

I prefer to err on the side of affection in fragrance, made even more beautifully painful by the fact that I can't have all the perfumes!
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by thrilledchilled View Post
    Luca Turin is a very good writer and a great resource.

Zealot Crusader is as good or better, by the way. There are a few others who know a lot and can write, not many.
    I don't have a doctorate in this field like he does, so I'll never match the technical knowledge and expertise of Luca Turin, even in a lifetime of smelling and writing.

I also find it kind of funny that some of his most-hated fragrances are some of my loves (like Houbigant Duc de Vervins)

Luca Turin is a fantastic, poetic writer, who is able to squeeze a whole world view into a small paragraph, sometimes even less. He has knowledge, taste and a point of view. Why does everyone think they have to agree with him in order for his work to be valid? We all have strong opinions. Be confident in your own, without tearing down another passionate and informed person— that’s my feeling on it.

Xerjoff is an Italian firm, situated along the bullshit continuum somewhere between Creed and Roja Dove, but with less access to perfumery talent than the former and less retro heft than the latter. When Italians do cynical, they do it properly. The website video of founder Sergio Momo expatiating about eternal beauty, in various locations rented for the day, is a gem. The perfumes are mostly vile and cheap-smelling, the packaging design eye-wateringly vulgar, the prices stellar.
    Sounds like an objective overall house review right?

Considering that MOST fragrance enthusiasts will agree Xerjoff is one of the best in the business when it comes to long lasting, natural smelling citrus.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    I’m probably one of the few who feel there’s nothing natural about long lasting citrus notes.
    I definitely agree, and while I don't mind a fair use of synthetics, I often find these long-lasting citrus fragrances boring after first two hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I barely know what I'm talking about most of the time but I'm glad you like what I write. I appreciate Turin's candor even if I don't always agree.
    Just wanted to say I gave The Noir 29 and Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce a try because of your reviews! I love them both--especially Fierce because it really is a nice masculine perfume that was a victim of success. Thank you for always writing
    (^‿^)
    Currently wearing: Thé Noir 29 by Le Labo

Basenotes Plus

Often, when reading Turin, I am most interested and entertained not in what he thinks as much as how he thinks.

I can also say the same of ClaireV whose thoughtful insight often successfully shapes my opinion.
    Scarcity is an illusion. Unlearn it.

As I said before: I really enjoy the way he writes.
    The How.
    Nothing against him.
    I tend to agree with purecaramel in this aspect.
    I don´t like when people uses his writing as a way to justify something.
    Best,
    BruceB

Except for the ‘Mona Di Orio’ incident, Luca Turin is normally a professional and polite source of information, who also detects notes that most of us cannot. Perhaps time and popularity has taken away some of his naturalness, but fame has that effect.
    Last edited by Sinkinggrade; 24th February 2020 at 10:46 AM.

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Luca Turin is a fantastic, poetic writer, who is able to squeeze a whole world view into a small paragraph, sometimes even less. He has knowledge, taste and a point of view. Why does everyone think they have to agree with him in order for his work to be valid? We all have strong opinions. Be confident in your own, without tearing down another passionate and informed person— that’s my feeling on it.
    This pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. I sometimes disagree with Turin’s opinions, but it doesn’t deter me from respecting the concise, frequently amusing writing or the knowledge behind them. Turin’s work can be admired, even when one disagrees with his opinion on a given perfume. I read Turin for entertainment, and sometimes as just one point of reference, but use my own nose as the ultimate arbiter in the end.
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    2) Giorgio V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    4) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    5) Jasmin Antique (Rogue)
    6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast