Code of Conduct

Default Fahrenheit - batch comparison and advice

FYI - Been lurking for a few months, this is my first post, and I am fairly new to fragrances.

I've been doing a lot of sampling the last few months, and this month I became enamored with Dior Fahrenheit EDT. However, I'm now concerned I may have ordered a fake 1997 batch off of ebay, and am looking for advice.

I originally ordered a travel size sample from FragranceNet, and although it doesn't have a batch code, I assume from my research in these forums it may be from a highly desired 2018 batch (good longevity, strong diesel, nice leather dry down). Loved it.

Next, I sampled a bottle from Walmart (formulation 12948A, Batch 9L03), and found that it had only a faint diesel smell, and disappeared completely within a couple hours. Based on this experience, I searched on ebay for a vintage batch. (Note: I reviewed the helpful articles at Raiders of the Lost Scent to make sure I was up to date on packaging, batch codes, and years, etc). I ended up finding what I thought might be too good of a deal (but went with it anyway) on an unopened 1997 box with batch code 7081M - all markings, codes, ingredients, etc on both box and bottle matched the Raiders of the Lost Scent guidelines in every way.

Yesterday, I did a side by side (left wrist/right wrist) comparison of the vintage 7081M batch with my travel sized sample, and here are the rusults:
    Initial Spray:
    Both contained a strong diesel quality. My wife (smelling blind) said the travel size sample smelled more of diesel, while the other had a hint of of a soap or fresh smell.

2 Hrs:
    Both still have the diesel quality. My wife still prefers the travel size sampler wrist more, and believes the soap-like smell of the 1997 batch is still present.

4 Hrs:
    Both are getting into dry-down and becoming more of skin scent. I smell a pleasant burning leather from the travel size sampler, and more of a faded hint of leather from the 1997 batch. (my wife now knows which one is which, and strongly prefers the travel size sampler)

6 Hrs:
    Travel sampler is staying strong as a pleasant 'burning' leather skin scent. The 1997 batch has almost gone entirely.

8 Hrs:
    Travel sampler is faded, but present. 1997 batch is long gone.

So, keeping in mind that I don't have an advanced nose, do I have a moral leg to stand on for going back to the seller to ask for money back (he has good reputation, long standing on ebay) based on only my limited trial and experience?
    Are the old batches really that much better that it should be obvious right away that I have a 1997 bottle?
    Am I just letting my mind trick me based on my initial suspicions?
    Anyone with a true vintage want a sample (or swap samples - a couple ml of my 'maybe' 1997 for some true vintage) just out of curiosity?

Thanks for your input!

Default Re: Fahrenheit - batch comparison and advice

Sounds to me like the 1997 bottle is most likely legitimate; however, if you can provide us with a multiple photos of both the box and bottle, we can probably confirm it's legitimacy.

I personally own two different 2019 batches and get powerhouse performance from both, your 2019 batch is rather new, I'd recommend spraying it a few times then letting the bottle rest for a few more months. Some ingredients seem to become more prominent with age.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

The 2019 formulation is fine, though a little bit less leathery and more zesty and floral.
    Here's my thread about it: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...r-2019-12948-A

If the 9L03 is freshly opened give it some time and it will get stronger.
    I currently have 9F03 in use and it lasts over 10 hours.

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by PartySnake View Post
    Sounds to me like the 1997 bottle is most likely legitimate; however, if you can provide us with a multiple photos of both the box and bottle, we can probably confirm it's legitimacy.

That would certainly be helpful to us in order to provide insight.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Thank you all for your quick help!
    Below are the pics (cellophane has been removed, but it looked legit... nothing showing poor quality or hasty wrapping). As I mentioned, I am pretty sure the box and bottle fit with what should be from 1997... but an extra few sets of eyes certainly won't hurt!

Anyone think that even the older batches might mature a bit after getting a little more air in the bottle after the first couple of sprays?

IMG-0750_smaller.jpg
    IMG-0751_smaller.jpg
    IMG-0752_smaller.jpg
    IMG-0753_smaller.jpg
    IMG-0754_smaller.jpg
    IMG-0755_smaller.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Jackofspeed View Post
    Am I just letting my mind trick me based on my initial suspicions?
    This is my guess.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    This is my guess.
    If this is the case, then it is really the best of all worlds for me... imagined problems are the best ones!

Quote Originally Posted by FragFrog View Post
    The 2019 formulation is fine, though a little bit less leathery and more zesty and floral.
    Here's my thread about it: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/468...r-2019-12948-A

If the 9L03 is freshly opened give it some time and it will get stronger.
    I currently have 9F03 in use and it lasts over 10 hours.
    Thank you... I had been keeping an eye on that thread for a while now actually. Your original comparison of different batches is what got me looking for the 2018 batch - thank you for such a thorough investigation!

I think I prefer the more leathery, less zesty and floral version (hence why I went searching for a vintage bottle... turns out they are easier to get second hand than a 2018 batch at the moment). I'm generally fine with any of the batches as long as they don't disappear entirely after 4 hours.

I should also note that I live in Colorado - where it is always dry, especially in the winter. On my skin, and under these conditions, what others might consider strong performers (Tuscan Leather, La Yuqawam Pour Homme, Aventus) I'm lucky if I can detect at all with my nose buried on my arm all after 8 hours.

Hi, do you mean this item from ebay?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fahrenheit-...019e%7Ciid%3A1

If you let me know, it will help me to decide purchase. Thanks

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Great description. It sounds legit. Great pics. It looks legit.

At first, I thought we might be talking about an '87. Who would fake a '97?

I have access to various versions, but the ones I've worn the most are '99 and '96, so based on my experience, I think you might warm up to it and prefer it over the other bottle within a couple months.