Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o

Default What are your most controversial fragrance opinions?

Hello everyone, Zhang Fan here. I thought this might be a fun topic. Do you have any fragrance opinions which most other members would disagree with? What are they?

Nerf Herder

Default Re: What are your most controversial fragrance opinions?

Not necessarily controversial, but I quite like low brow synthetic aromachemicals. I enjoy ambroxan and ISO E Super, I really like dihydromyrcenol and have no problem with calone or ozonics. I like me some aquatics, even if it makes me the fragsnob equivalent of the unwashed PBR swilling hoi polloi.

Avantgarde tasting menus have their place, but sometimes I just want a f**kin cheeseburger
    “Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.” - Oscar Wilde

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Not sure if it would be thought of as controversial but I don't believe that fragrances have seasons while others do. I will wear a given fragrance at any time of year.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I love Hammam Bouquet TOO much. It is not normal.

I hate classics such as Egoiste, Heritage, Rive Gauche.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"

well, yes --- they are just too cheap

c'mon -- put the prices up a bit -- I want more 'luxury'

Lots of poison in fragrance that could possible give you cancer or worse. Like all addicts, people choose to ignore this, only able to think about their next fix.

Among others:

- not liking certain niche scents (if Eau de Campagne by Sisley can be considered niche) very much and also a few designer classics like Kouros and ADG,

- instead happening to enjoy a few rather obscure or even slightly antiquated smelling vintages like G-Man by Gainsboro, several Marbert and Lancetti, to name only a few
    Currently wearing: Zara Man Gold by Zara

All Is Beautiful

I only apply fragrance on clothes, never on skin. That is somewhat unusual for people here as I think there are strong health reasons not to ever put fragrance on skin.
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

- Platinum Egoiste (current formulation) is much more better than Egoiste (any formulation).
    - Vintage fetishes...
    - Etc.
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

A controversial opinion would be that many of the fragrance opinions on here are only based on the opinion of another's opinion.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

My two most controversial opinions are that I think Tobacco Vanille smells gross, and I just do not like Green Irish Tweed. I find the vanilla and tobacco notes clash, are two separate waves that do not blend but instead fight each other and crash together. For GIT, I keep trying it thinking there must be a reason people like it, but it smells like algae rotting on the beach to me. I probably just dislike aquatics.
    A Greater Monster, The Kickstarter Letters & Death by Zamboni
    daviddavid.net
    And my art store on Etsy

> Gold Medal for "Outstanding Book of the Year" in Independent Publisher Book Awards
    > National Indie Excellence Book Award finalist
    > A Greater Monster named a "Top 10 Book of 2012" by Common Ills blog
    > Listed in "10 Hot Chicago Reads for Chilly Nights" on Refinery29.com

I wear Aventus often and unapologetically regardless of what is going on in the FragComm/bros/haters. Is that in itself controversial? It shouldn’t be but, it can and has previously sparked heated discussion.

I love Bois du Portugal although I think Frank Sinatra didn’t even know what it was.

I like Green Irish Tweed very much and wear it to this day but still think Cool Water was conceptualised, put together and started being sold before anyone called Creed knew anything about GIT regardless of what anyone tells me or what the Osmotheque says about it.
    currently enjoying

Mousse Illuminee -- Incident Diplomatique -- Baccarat Rouge 540 -- Fahrenheit Parfum
    Patrick -- Green Irish Tweed -- Grand Soir

I think that Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce (2002) is actually really elegant and respectable--suitable for all ages, not just teenagers
    (^‿^)
    Currently wearing: Thé Noir 29 by Le Labo

Nerf Herder

Quote Originally Posted by morning light View Post
    I think that Abercrombie & Fitch Fierce (2002) is actually really elegant and respectable--suitable for all ages, not just teenagers
    Never smelled it, but given it constantly draws comparisons to Legend and Percival that isn’t a great shock to me. I feel quite similarly about Legend, anyone can pull it off.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Reventon View Post
    Not necessarily controversial, but I quite like low brow synthetic aromachemicals. I enjoy ambroxan and ISO E Super, I really like dihydromyrcenol and have no problem with calone or ozonics. I like me some aquatics, even if it makes me the fragsnob equivalent of the unwashed PBR swilling hoi polloi.

Avantgarde tasting menus have their place, but sometimes I just want a f**kin cheeseburger
    I agree with you on the caveat that today's aromachems are used judiciously and creatively. There is 5000% more artistry going on in a bottle of Bleu de Chanel or even Azzaro Wanted than in the seventh son of a seventh son flanker to Invictus (even if the original is good). I've tasted really good mass appeal chemical stews (Missoni Parfum pour Homme), and tasted really terrible ones (Spicebomb Night Vision).

People seem to forget oakmoss and musk was "abused" much the same way when R&D was low for a fragrance, because many of my vintage Avons become pretty much -just- oakmoss after they dry down. Key difference obviously being that naked oakmoss smells objectively better than naked (Ethoxymethoxy)cyclododecane a.k.a. Amberwood F

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    I wear Aventus often and unapologetically regardless of what is going on in the FragComm/bros/haters. Is that in itself controversial? It shouldn’t be but, it can and has previously sparked heated discussion.

I love Bois du Portugal although I think Frank Sinatra didn’t even know what it was.

I like Green Irish Tweed very much and wear it to this day but still think Cool Water was conceptualised, put together and started being sold before anyone called Creed knew anything about GIT regardless of what anyone tells me or what the Osmotheque says about it.
    I hear tons of things about what Frankie supposedly wore. Some say Yardley English Lavender, others say Fragonard Zizanie. I think more celebs need their wardrobes cataloged for historical posterity! (Just kidding)

Like what you like, love what you love man! I shamelessly wear all my fragrance loves right on my sleeve! Let'em come get a sock on the nose by something other than sillage if they mean to make quarrel over it (which itself seems a silly thing to proclaim but here we are). The 3 Creeds you named happen to be my 3 favorites too!

Quote Originally Posted by morning light View Post
    It just suffered from overexposure, literally coming from every A&F storefront doorway back in the day.

I guess if I had a controversial opinion about fragrances it is that people put too much weight in luxury aspect of them; the price and provenance of either the perfumer or ingredients, the exclusivity, the heaviness or material composition of the bottles or cap, and the raw performance. It's very much like shoe instagrammers, "I have the loudest, rarest, most expensive and exotic perfume ever! It cost me $2000, contains real angel's tears, and was composed by the last living descendant of the pharaoh Ramses II a month before his death on a trip to produce the Golden Fleece, which lines the Pandora's Box that houses the bottle".

Meanwhile I'm like "dude, IDGAF... does it smell good????"
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Missing Oakmoss

No, not controversial, just ordinary preference stuff like not caring for citrus or heavy gourmands.

Freed from BN Institution

Perhaps vintage Chanel Antaeus
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: 17/17 Irisss by Xerjoff

Eternity Eau de Parfum is way better than the EDT
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Nerf Herder

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I agree with you on the caveat that today's aromachems are used judiciously and creatively. There is 5000% more artistry going on in a bottle of Bleu de Chanel or even Azzaro Wanted than in the seventh son of a seventh son flanker to Invictus (even if the original is good). I've tasted really good mass appeal chemical stews (Missoni Parfum pour Homme), and tasted really terrible ones.
    Of course. I like garlic.

I do not want a garlic milkshake (lookin at you, Mont Blanc Legend Night!)

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Very few perfumes actually smell bad.

On the other hand, hyperbole is pretty entertaining and it’s much more amusing to rip into scents that one feels the slightest bit critical of.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I may be the oddball here. I feel too many fragrances are crammed with bergamot and / or jasmine. To me, these notes can completely take over, obscure the other notes, in some perfumes. I can only take so much, of either of these notes. Tuberose too, can obliterate other notes in a scent from beginning to end. And, I LIKE tuberose, in moderation. Bergamot and jasmine, I can take or leave. Just my opinion.
    When I was young, we called it "personal space", not, "social distancing" like nowadays.

This opinion might not be unpopular per se, but I think it's unpopular here. I think overspraying is just as bad as insufficient hygiene. I like strong and loud perfumes around too, but there is such thing as too much of a good thing in my opinion, and even the best scent can get irritating and headache-and-tears-inducing for everyone around if overapplied.

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by BruceB View Post
    - Platinum Egoiste (current formulation) is much more better than Egoiste (any formulation).
    - Vintage fetishes...
    - Etc.
    I really dislike Egoiste. Probably won't go down well here @ Basenotes.
    Some Of My Favorites
    Fahrenheit (Vintage)/Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    Aventus/Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Naxos - Xerjoff
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Baraonda - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Private Label - Jovoy
    Layton - PDM

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    We are both Egoiste haters! I've finally found a brother!
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"

Essex - But born & bred in good old East London

Quote Originally Posted by andrei bolkonsky View Post
    we are both egoiste haters! I've finally found a brother!
    lol
    Some Of My Favorites
    Fahrenheit (Vintage)/Fahrenheit Parfum - Dior
    Aventus/Bois du Portugal - Creed
    Jubilation XXV - Amouage
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain - Tauer
    Danger - Roja Dove
    Baccarat Rouge 540 - MFK
    Naxos - Xerjoff
    Coromandel - Chanel
    Patchouli Nobile - Nobile 1942
    Baraonda - Nasomatto
    Incident Diplomatique/Private Label - Jovoy
    Layton - PDM

That the drydown of Feuille Verte smells like fresh baby diapers.
    Currently wearing: Derby by Guerlain

Basenotes Junkie

There are definitely classics that I dislike - a lot of the old school barbershop type of fragrances don't do it for me at all. Bois du Portugal and Rive Gauche come to mind.

I think post 2014-2015 Aventus batch variation talk is largely crazy. I know there's a pretty big difference between pre and post reformulation, but the more modern Aventus all pretty much smells the same IMO (I've owned or smelled 14L01, 16L01, 15X21, 17X01, 17Y01, 18B01, 18B11, 18D02, 19P11 and for the most part they smell like the same Aventus).

Many offerings from MFK are unwearable in most scenarios and it makes the house a non starter for me from a full bottle situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Man Of The World View Post
    Sure thing.
    Manic Depression...
    Best,
    BruceB
    Currently wearing: Eau d'Hermès by Hermès

- Chanel No5 is horrible
    - Mancera/Montale need to stop making fragrances because they all smell significantly synthetic
    - Roja Dove seems to just copy pre-existing fragrances, albeit with much higher quality (and I love the house)
    - Ensar is a petty narcissistic assclown

- Aventus overall isn't that good. It has a very unique and inviting opening then becomes "just nice" as it dries down. Seems to be for individuals who are just hell bent on getting a compliment. It's the "Rolex" of fragrances. Expensive, discussed way too much, and not even the best at what it does.
    Don't stank.
    Currently wearing: Vetiver by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

Fahrenheit. Mere words cannot express my loathing