Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
o
    Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Default Flora´ku Love Thread

OK, it doesn't have to be love, but we're betting love will win!

Floraiku.jpg
    Yes,the time has come to gather the highly scattered effusive praise, the less than effusive praise, and the effusive less than praise for this line in one convenient place.

Many people correctly realized that I might eventually take an interest in this house,despite the fact that it is "challenging" in more ways than just price. I eventually got a sample set for these fragrances - or at least most of them - and discovered them to be rather admirable on skin, whereas they were not terribly impressive on paper, when I smelled several of them in a Flora´ku boutique.

I still think that the initial thoughts of Hat and Beard, reported from a NYC Basenotes meet-up, are still an impression which I share, more or less. The line is gimmicky, overpriced, weird in presentation, and odd in fragrance, being designed for layering. The whole thing is a bit like Roja Dove meets Jimmy Choo meets Jo Malone meets Comme des Garcons. Make it all "more Memo than Memo", and it becomes a bit of a WTF.

And yet, all that weirdness somehow gives the whole affair a sort of unique, quirky, Hermes-like charm. And then - when I finally WORE the fragrances, I realized - they ARE a bit like the Hermessence line - including the price.

I will have much more to say over the next few weeks, as I ramble on about the line, every day or two. But before that time, I'd like to invite people to begin giving THEIR impressions of the Flora´ku fragrances.

Welcome and CHEERS!

-Red
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Flora´ku Love Thread

I greatly enjoyed The Moon and I, it is a beautiful and realistic green tea and mate scent. I did find the longevity lacking though, and by lacking I mean about the same lifespan as cardboard in the rain.
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & B˙zios Brasil

I happen to love all the releases from this line which I have tried. The only thing stopping me from making them part of my collection is not the price but the bottle size that they come in. It's a shame since I am a fan.
    Last edited by hednic; 26th February 2020 at 09:39 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Count me as a fan of the house. I own 13 or 14 of the 10ml travel size, mostly as a result of being gifted their Ceremony kit. Those "samples" have turned into three full bottle purchases so far with more likely to come. I'm wearing Flowers Turn Purple today in fact.

Recently discovered this house. I only own one fragrance by them (I See The Clouds Go By) but it is one of my favorites, so much so that I even wrote a review for it here because there weren't many.

I will have to check out more from this house.
    Currently wearing: Bee by Zoologist Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Have tried a few so far. I like them but, not enough to full-bottle-purchase. I'm growing pickier on FB purchases nowadays... I really enjoy Cricket Song.
    When I was young, we called it "personal space", not, "social distancing" like nowadays.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrant Vagrant View Post
    I greatly enjoyed The Moon and I, it is a beautiful and realistic green tea and mate scent. I did find the longevity lacking though, and by lacking I mean about the same lifespan as cardboard in the rain.
    I have not tried that one yet, but am really excited about wearing it soon. My wife will probably like that one, because she's a huge green tea lover, with a strong nose for differences in it, but loves all grades of it much like I love all coffee, even the most insipid machine coffee (extra creamer - problem solved!)

I've been very lucky on longevity, and I attribute that to my skin. I have found the longevity of these on my skin to be amazing, so far, so I hope that keeps up for the remainder. Actually, WORSE than amazing, and that is part of what is rescuing the brand for me. I tried to scrub one off to test another, 24 hours later, and I could not. And when I scrubbed the second one, two days in, I could still smell the first. Etc., etc. These darn things layer for me, whether I want it or not. But the fact that I have not gone past 1-3 small sample sprays to get excellent performance has been a real plus. I will get a lot of wear out of these samples - thus they were an excellent buy for me.

My wife finds them too strong, but after they die down a bit she really likes them, on her or on me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I happen to love all the releases from this line which I have tried. The only thing think stopping me from making them part of my collection is not the price but the bottle size that they come in. It's a shame since I am a fan.
    My advice to the brand (which they may well have planned) would be to come out with 100 mL or 120 mL "Exclusif" size using the same tops but in a more square-footed bottle, so that they keep the same quirky "top-heavy" appearance, but appear more solidly based as a subconscious appeal. Or perhaps another format that keeps the existing artistic appeal solid, because I think that is important - this is a highly visual brand. Combine that with either (a) sticker shock pricing, or (b) overly sensible pricing, to open wallets at a "pre-hiked price" (due to 50 mL being a bit outlandish), and people may gravitate to the larger size on faves.

I personally get the 50 mL size, because the scents seem strong to me, and small size does better fit a Japanese aesthetic IMO. Indeed, if they offered a "chibi" size of cute bottles with merely decorative tops, I'll bet those would sell well in the Asian market. Drop them right in the "gift price range" and who knows?

I can totally see why you loved all the releases you've tried - they are surprisingly diverse, yet there is an emerging "house sense" because they used only two perfumers, both women who work together at the same firm (IFF). I can smell the "je ne sais quoi" already. All of this speaks to the smartness of that well-priced sample set, which is what make The Different Company an easy love for me, too.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tweaks View Post
    Count me as a fan of the house. I own 13 or 14 of the 10ml travel size, mostly as a result of being gifted their Ceremony kit. Those "samples" have turned into three full bottle purchases so far with more likely to come. I'm wearing Flowers Turn Purple today in fact.
    What a great gift! Yes, that set is nicely priced, too - reasonable for a thoughtful and earnest buyer yet still luxurious and appreciated by the recipient. I think it was pretty smart of them to offer both that set as well as the small sample set. With the travel size, people can really test these things out.

I'm happy to see (from your wear today) that they now have additional launches in all three categories! What do you think of Flowers Turn Purple?

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 24 Faubourg View Post
    Recently discovered this house. I only own one fragrance by them (I See The Clouds Go By) but it is one of my favorites, so much so that I even wrote a review for it here because there weren't many.

Yes, I noticed that you've been wearing that one recently! I will be wearing it very soon, and will re-read your review with great interest.

Part of my wanting to do this thread is that I plan to keep my reviews in the house style - short and a bit cryptic - thus hoping to expand my thoughts here. Overall, I'm very pleased to find that the reviews by our members for this line have been spot-on, and have helped me "get" the line in a big way. And I need more of those reviews for mine to make sense, so I hope to encourage more reviews by others!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    Have tried a few so far. I like them but, not enough to full-bottle-purchase. I'm growing pickier on FB purchases nowadays... I really enjoy Cricket Song.
    Oh, do I hear you about FB purchases - I am getting extremely picky. The only reason I can even experience this brand is the great sample pricing, which I really appreciate.

My wife also loved Cricket Song, which she picked out when I read the notes and she heard the word "magnolia". I found the smell fascinating, but I resisted getting too deeply into it, so I can wait for a real wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Yes, I noticed that you've been wearing that one recently! I will be wearing it very soon, and will re-read your review with great interest.

Part of my wanting to do this thread is that I plan to keep my reviews in the house style - short and a bit cryptic - thus hoping to expand my thoughts here. Overall, I'm very pleased to find that the reviews by our members for this line have been spot-on, and have helped me "get" the line in a big way. And I need more of those reviews for mine to make sense, so I hope to encourage more reviews by others!
    My only issue with I See The Clouds Go By was projection. Even though I think the subtle skin scent for the latter bit of the life of the fragrance fits the theme of cherry blossoms and their ephemeral beauty.

Do you find that any of the others have better sillage?

Basenotes Plus

I also got the sample set and thought they were all pleasant and versatile though have not worn often enough to determine whether it’s FBW. I do like their aesthetics.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

My only issue with I See The Clouds Go By was projection. Even though I think the subtle skin scent for the latter bit of the life of the fragrance fits the theme of cherry blossoms and their ephemeral beauty.

Do you find that any of the others have better sillage?
    I got very good and good (but not extraordinary) sillage from the first two scents I wore - both from the Forbidden Incense group.

My Love Has the Colour of the Night - very good sillage that my wife picked up while walking behind me almost a day later.

Sound of a Ricochet - still good,but somewhat less

Then I tried First Dream of the Year, one of the Enigmatic Flowers group. That had reasonable sillage, too, but of a much different nature.

Yes - cherry blossoms have little or no odor, unlike plum blossoms, although our Japanese beetles seem to find the cherry tree very easily,and must be using something!

I Am Coming Home has some initial sillage. One Umbrella For Two - even less.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    I also got the sample set and thought they were all pleasant and versatile though have not worn often enough to determine whether it’s FBW. I do like their aesthetics.
    The aesthetics are quite pleasing. Even the sample box is really nice! My wife loved the kamon (circled flower blossom emblem) without any criticism of phoniness, and she will complain about "not authentic", "too much fusion" or "incorrectly done" for the most minor reasons.

I sometimes wonder if the samples are big enough to find a worthy bottle, but I'm pretty sure they are.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I just tried this for the first time and was blown away. I can totally see why you got this one.

I See The Clouds Go By is one of the best and most artistic fresh florals I've smelled in quite a while. It is literally about the title. Just the right balance of freshness, transparency, light opaqueness, warmth, brightness, coolness and ozonic character. I think it's beautifully unisex,too, but not in an androgynous way. On a woman, it will come off as "windswept beauty". On a guy, it's the much desired "he smells clean and fresh" thing which my wife appreciates. I may put on extra later to see what she thinks. But the artistry - the swirling mix of elements - that is pretty impressive stuff. This thing is chock full of sensory Impressions. And yes - the ephemeral cherry is perfect. There is a reason this sucker isn't all jammy and sweet - just the faintest hint of cherry blossom on the breeze. It is well done!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Some synergy with the closing of Twisted Lily here. 30% off on remaining Flora´ku. A few bottles, mostly travel size.

https://twistedlily.com/product-cate...ands/floraiku/

Basenotes Junkie

I am wearing Sound of a Ricochet and it's just an OK vanilla fragrance.
    However I love My Love Has the Colour of the Night, amazing woody fragrance

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    I am wearing Sound of a Ricochet and it's just an OK vanilla fragrance.
    However I love My Love Has the Colour of the Night, amazing woody fragrance
    Yes! I wore those two in sequence as my entrance to the sample set, because they seemed the most masculine, and I wanted to give them a chance to impress.

My Love Has the Colour of the Night blew me away with the almost surrealistic woodiness. To me, it's like the opposite of "fake wood", which usually seems like some kind of semi-wood. MLHTCOTN is more like "wood and a half". So realistic, I was thinking "This can't be real, but don't make it stop! I want to believe!"

Sound of a Ricochet is somewhat similar in its woody aspects, toned down very noticeably, but more about contrasts. There is also a strong naturalness to it - very strong homage to certain Japanese aesthetics, particularly the virtue of refined and civilized things which still show their natural side. I liked the mix of ideas here, but not sure it's FBW for me in terms of simply enjoying the scent.

When I was in the boutique, SOAR appealed to me more than the others, but now it's having to get in line. I am very undecided at this point, because I See The Clouds Go By is very appealing.

Basenotes Plus

I'd never heard of this house until reading this thread. I've ordered the sample set which was super reasonably priced and included free shipping!
    ôThe unnatural and the strange have a perfume of their ownö
    ― Fernando Pessoa

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel5 View Post
    I'd never heard of this house until reading this thread. I've ordered the sample set which was super reasonably priced and included free shipping!
    I think SeaRoses talked about this house, awhile back. Last year, maybe?
    When I was young, we called it "personal space", not, "social distancing" like nowadays.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hazel5 View Post
    Excellent! Looking forward to your impressions! Yes, the free shipping really sweetens that deal.

I hate to utter this beautiful slight, but the fact that the house is both delicately over-produced and sadly under-appreciated is automatically tragic in an authentically Japanese way!

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfPhlegethon View Post
    I think SeaRoses talked about this house, awhile back. Last year, maybe?
    Yes, here is a link to her thread!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/463...raiku-Boutique

My fav in this house is mountain standing still (oud n black tea), cricket song, sleeping on the roof, ao. But still think its way overpriced

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by colourblind View Post
    My fav in this house is mountain standing still (oud n black tea), cricket song, sleeping on the roof, ao. But still think its way overpriced
    I look forward to trying Mountain Standing Still and Ao! Oud and black tea sounds quite interesting. I do have Sleeping on the Roof, and will try it soon. Wife likes Cricket Song!

Yeah, the price even seems painful for the 10 mL travel size. Hesitant until I find a true love!

I just tried this for the first time and was blown away. I can totally see why you got this one.

I See The Clouds Go By is one of the best and most artistic fresh florals I've smelled in quite a while. It is literally about the title. Just the right balance of freshness, transparency, light opaqueness, warmth, brightness, coolness and ozonic character. I think it's beautifully unisex,too, but not in an androgynous way. On a woman, it will come off as "windswept beauty". On a guy, it's the much desired "he smells clean and fresh" thing which my wife appreciates. I may put on extra later to see what she thinks. But the artistry - the swirling mix of elements - that is pretty impressive stuff. This thing is chock full of sensory Impressions. And yes - the ephemeral cherry is perfect. There is a reason this sucker isn't all jammy and sweet - just the faintest hint of cherry blossom on the breeze. It is well done!
    I'm so glad you found it this way too! It was super impressive to me, unlike much of what I have ever tested before. It was a definite buy for me.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Excellent! Looking forward to your impressions! Yes, the free shipping really sweetens that deal.

I hate to utter this beautiful slight, but the fact that the house is both delicately over-produced and sadly under-appreciated is automatically tragic in an authentically Japanese way!

Yes, here is a link to her thread!

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/463...raiku-Boutique

Aha! I thought so!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

OK - more wear reports!

I had my first wear of Between Two Trees, which is pretty nifty stuff, but a bit challenging in a very niche way. It's one of the "shadowing" fragrances - the dark one, specifically. The one existing review calls it out as "ashtray", and I totally get that. But there is much more to it - I can sense the other big accords, and it is a much more pleasant experience than an ashtray.

SO - I used it to "shadow" I See The Clouds Go By, and that was - for me - a step down. It added masculine character, but killed the magic of the freshness and contrasts of ISTCGB for me.

I'm going to investigate this one some more!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Sunday's scent was really impressive - My Shadow on the Wall.

I grabbed this one somewhat randomly, and didn't even realize that it was one of the "Forbidden Incense" series, because the floral nature of the mimosa-violet leaf-sandalwood triad is so strong, it almost seems like it could be one of the "Enigmatic Flowers" series.

The overall nature seems very singular - "well-blended" as many here say. The primary accord is pleasant, floral, "pink with a hint of orange" - maybe "somewhat apricot", a bit powdery and feminine, and - most importantly - just overwhelmingly but delicately radiant and sillage-producing, to my nose. It's faint, but I just got clouds of sillage from it - and OUTDOORS, too.

On me, as a guy, it's somewhat barbershop, and smells like I just got some really high-class, old-fashioned neck powder after a haircut. But as I envision this on a woman, it's not young or mature - not dainty or rough - just a kind of happy, breezy, attractive but not flirty feminine.

I don't really smell the violet leaf and sandalwood cleanly as individual notes, but they make sense in terms of what I'm smelling. The mimosa is clearly there, because it's a favorite floral on my wife, and there is some similarity to Bulgari Pour Femme in the transparent aspects of the floral notes. There is also a floral sharpness - well tamed - that hints at light violet or violet leaf. The powdery sandalwood is also a bit like Caswell-Massey Tricorn, only more femme, and not a really discrete sandalwood odor to my nose.

I don't know if everybody will experience the mega-sillage and radiant beauty that I do, but based on my experience, I had to rate this highly. That said, not exactly my cup of tea, and I certainly don't need a full bottle. My wife may go for it, however.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Fragrant Vagrant View Post
    I am now in total agreement with you on this one! And with HouseOfPhlegethon, who gave it an excellent review!

Yes, this is one of the best and most realistic tea fragrances I ever smelled! I was stunned. It reminded me of one of the best teas I ever had - in Kyoto at this place my wife dragged me to with no objection allowed. That tea had a natural sweetness which was incredibly memorable. But TMAI also reminded me of an Africa-inspired herbal tea that I had at a Japanese fusion tea-shop closer to home. And it moreover reminded me of mulled wine - more the aroma than the stuff itself.

All in all, a really amazing scent. And you're so right about the longevity. On my skin, it holds that real beauty for about 4 hours, which is pretty damn lucky, and then peters out over 2 more hours to a skin scent with nothing remaining of the amazing tea fragrance.

Another winner, I'd say!

Basenotes Junkie the blood on 530 27's Avatar

I bought the sample kit/discovery kit when it’s $35. Now it’s $45 or more?

Anyway, this is a very good detox to oversimplified trendy modern perfumes, you can call it “minimalist done right”. It certainly has better and more reliable ingredients than....what can I say...one of those extremely popular modern minimalist perfume brand.

The scent it self is exquisite, however not so .... worth digging into. But I guess, unlike many complicated formulas, different consumers will give more consistent feedback to this brand, since most of the customers will experience the same quality.
    ôThe French have a phrase for it. Those bastards have a phrase for everything."