Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: As of today, Creed is no longer a family owned brand

I can understand everyone’s concern. This is a significant change full of uncertainty.

However, for someone like me (a millennial, for what it’s worth), for whom a Creed bottle would be a true luxury purchase (I know, decants are an option...don’t @ me), some of the comments here feel a little like a Mercedes owner complaining that they’re going to start making Hondas.

Buddy, all I’ve ever driven are Hondas. It ain’t that bad.

Not the best analogy, I know. Just providing another (perhaps “99%”?) viewpoint. I like a few Creeds, but I wasn’t rushing out to purchase one before, and I’m certainly not doing so now. I wouldn’t buy a crappy car just because it was a Mercedes, but I also wouldn’t mind a little Mercedes engineering, styling, etc. in my Honda-priced vehicle. Then again, we already have fragrances like Mont Blanc Explorer, so what do I care if the 1% has their luxuries (I don’t).

Creed — soon to be wrecked by some of the world’s most cynical bean counters. How sad.

Default Re: Uh oh. "BlackRock Long Term Private Capital to Invest in Luxury Fragrance Company Creed"

A horrible fragrance debacle waiting to happen. Lower quality, higher prices. It’s the way of private equity buyouts everywhere. BlackRock is in it only until they can resell to another group of soulless corporate weasels, inevitably resulting in further quality dilution. My condolences to the Creed family. So sorry your current leaders sold you out.

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    RIP longevity and quality
    Maybe, but this might be one of the few times where being bought by a private equity company results in an increase in consistency and quality control, unless the new owners decide to maintain Creed's farcical "batch variations" as part of their standard business plan.

The real tragedy is the end of the unbroken line of 70 Master Perfumers dating back to Marcus Servius Credo, Julius Caesar's personal perfumer. But maybe BlackRock will throw open the vaults and re-release the bespoke perfumes Creed made for Sarah Bernhardt, Sir Francis Drake, William Rufus, or Pepin the Short.
    Currently wearing: Odalisque by Nicolaï

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    I can understand everyone’s concern. This is a significant change full of uncertainty.

However, for someone like me (a millennial, for what it’s worth), for whom a Creed bottle would be a true luxury purchase (I know, decants are an option...don’t @ me), some of the comments here feel a little like a Mercedes owner complaining that they’re going to start making Hondas.

Buddy, all I’ve ever driven are Hondas. It ain’t that bad.

Not the best analogy, I know. Just providing another (perhaps “99%”?) viewpoint. I like a few Creeds, but I wasn’t rushing out to purchase one before, and I’m certainly not doing so now. I wouldn’t buy a crappy car just because it was a Mercedes, but I also wouldn’t mind a little Mercedes engineering, styling, etc. in my Honda-priced vehicle. Then again, we already have fragrances like Mont Blanc Explorer, so what do I care if the 1% has their luxuries (I don’t).
    Millenials put that 500 dollars creed perfume on a credit card

Quote Originally Posted by dieselboy77 View Post
    Millenials put that 500 dollars creed perfume on a credit card
    Is that really a Millennial stereotype? Crowdfunding I could see, but the only debt I see frequently linked to Millennials is student loan debt.

Quote Originally Posted by darinaldi View Post
    The real tragedy is the end of the unbroken line of 70 Master Perfumers dating back to Marcus Servius Credo, Julius Caesar's personal perfumer. But maybe BlackRock will throw open the vaults and re-release the bespoke perfumes Creed made for Sarah Bernhardt, Sir Francis Drake, William Rufus, or Pepin the Short.

That was great!

The cynic in me assumes that, much like Frederic Malle, Le Labo and all the other brands who were acquired by Estee Lauder, this will be news for a while then go back to business as usual with people simply adapting to the new Creed. Or, perhaps not quite so much in this instance because a) YouTube/bros are a bit more discerning and won't be so quick to ignore and overlook this change and b) while Estee Lauder is still a cosmetics/fragrance manufacturer, this BlackRock (what a dumb name) is strictly an investment fund and not the parent company of other perfume brands with a proven track record like Tom Ford to Kilian to whoever else ELauder owns. BlackRock's lack of experience with brands such as this could hint at a more aggressive approach to increasing Creed's profit margins, but that is purely speculation on my part, and cynical speculation at that.

I also assume the switch from 4oz and 2.5oz bottles to 100ml and 50ml bottles was part of Creed's strategy to position the brand's appeal for acquisition and/or investment as well as to conform to standards in anticipation of a mass market push which BlackRock seems poised to do.

As long as they don't eff up my GIT, I'm good.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

This is actually great news. There is almost no better way for the owners to exit the business, even though I'm sure no one here fear about the well-being of the Creeds.

That being said, it's also great news for Creed's fans. Off the bat, the brand will get wider distribution, consistent products (no more batch lunacy) and likely more frequent releases. As for the quality, Black Rock has invested in a luxury brand, so they will try to maintain more or less the same quality.

Unfortunately, probably some of the older fragrances in the roster will likely be gone. From the classics, I think GIT is safe; the rest I'm not sure.

When thinking about Creed's future and whether it's going to be better, also think of where they are standing today. Their latest notable release was Aventus (2011?). The image of the brand is becoming more irrelevant. Millennials do spend money on luxury fragrances but they do so only on brands with values and stories aligned with their own. A heritage brand that stands for bygone times of old European aristocracy speaks to very few. This is why, Creed is in need of repositioning and rebranding. Black Rock and new management can definitely help with that.
    Writing about the art of smelling good at ScentBound.co.

"If a fragrance is too perfect or too pretty, it becomes boring. Fragrances – like people – have to have some kind of imperfection." - Frederic Malle

Just ordered a new Viking because of this thread. This is ominous news. I should be in good shape with my others.

just maxed out my credit card !! future me will be so grateful for having 6 bottles of aventus before reformulation
    (^‿^)

Quote Originally Posted by NettyYeti View Post
    Is that really a Millennial stereotype? Crowdfunding I could see, but the only debt I see frequently linked to Millennials is student loan debt.
    I go out every weekend and I see 20some years olds wearing Gucci, Balenciaga, wearing a gold Rolex putting 400-500 dollar bottles of champagnes on credit cards when they go get a VIP booth.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentBound View Post
    This is actually great news. There is almost no better way for the owners to exit the business, even though I'm sure no one here fear about the well-being of the Creeds.

That being said, it's also great news for Creed's fans. Off the bat, the brand will get wider distribution, consistent products (no more batch lunacy) and likely more frequent releases. As for the quality, Black Rock has invested in a luxury brand, so they will try to maintain more or less the same quality.
    I hope you are right but based on how these acquisitions typically unfold, "quality" is the first thing out the window. These investors have a level of disregard for the customer and are totally fine replacing 100 loyal and educated customers with 1,000 Sephora or ULTA shoppers who will open their wallet for whatever the SA puts in front of them. BlackRock's intent is not to simply take over the reigns and maintain quality but to provide investors a significant return. Again, maybe I'm just being cynical, but I think trusting investors to not be greedy is a bit naive. Absolutely no offense intended.

As for batch variances, that is part of the process to make Creed's. It is also part of the process for many indie perfumers who use plenty of naturals. Not to say Creed does this, but to sterilize Creed down to airbrushed uniformity kills part of what so many adore about this company.

Lastly, I appreciate the spread out release schedule. There are too many houses cranking out a ridiculous number of releases per year, bloated collections, etc. Creed releases are special and while nothing has reached the popularity of Aventus, I think it's not fair to say Viking and Aventus Cologne were letdowns. I own bottles of both and actually prefer Aventus Cologne over the original. The idea that the brand's image is becoming irrelevant doesn't match up with what I see. Every time I go to the department store fragrance counters there is one section where there is a guaranteed audience testing bottles, and that's the Creed counter. And often it's younger people too. High Snobriety, one of those hip publications catering to the coolest of the cool millennials, even hosted the NYC launch of Aventus Cologne. I just don't agree at all that the brand's image is fading with millennials.

Dependent

When thinking about Creed's future and whether it's going to be better, also think of where they are standing today. Their latest notable release was Aventus (2011?). The image of the brand is becoming more irrelevant. Millennials do spend money on luxury fragrances but they do so only on brands with values and stories aligned with their own. A heritage brand that stands for bygone times of old European aristocracy speaks to very few. This is why, Creed is in need of repositioning and rebranding. Black Rock and new management can definitely help with that.
    Bologna, no guy researches a company that aligns with them, they buy whatever smells great and looks great on their wardrobe, even word of mouth has a far greater impact than company heritage.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
    I hope you are right but based on how these acquisitions typically unfold, "quality" is the first thing out the window. These investors have a level of disregard for the customer and are totally fine replacing 100 loyal and educated customers with 1,000 Sephora or ULTA shoppers who will open their wallet for whatever the SA puts in front of them. BlackRock's intent is not to simply take over the reigns and maintain quality but to provide investors a significant return. Again, maybe I'm just being cynical, but I think trusting investors to not be greedy is a bit naive. Absolutely no offense intended.

As for batch variances, that is part of the process to make Creed's. It is also part of the process for many indie perfumers who use plenty of naturals. Not to say Creed does this, but to sterilize Creed down to airbrushed uniformity kills part of what so many adore about this company.

Lastly, I appreciate the spread out release schedule. There are too many houses cranking out a ridiculous number of releases per year, bloated collections, etc. Creed releases are special and while nothing has reached the popularity of Aventus, I think it's not fair to say Viking and Aventus Cologne were letdowns. I own bottles of both and actually prefer Aventus Cologne over the original. The idea that the brand's image is becoming irrelevant doesn't match up with what I see. Every time I go to the department store fragrance counters there is one section where there is a guaranteed audience testing bottles, and that's the Creed counter. And often it's younger people too. High Snobriety, one of those hip publications catering to the coolest of the cool millennials, even hosted the NYC launch of Aventus Cologne. I just don't agree at all that the brand's image is fading with millennials.
    Hell of a post. I totally agree and largely see this as a future disaster for Creed fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by dieselboy77 View Post
    I go out every weekend and I see 20some years olds wearing Gucci, Balenciaga, wearing a gold Rolex putting 400-500 dollar bottles of champagnes on credit cards when they go get a VIP booth.
    Well, I can only speak for myself, and this millennial has two kids, a mortgage, and drinks New Glarus from the fridge. Going out is dinner with the wife (and we’re lucky if that’s once a month).

It might be that the new Creed ownership will be going after the champagne-slugging folks you see. If so, it’s no skin of my back. I don’t think they were exactly targeting my blue collar Midwest millennial friends as it is.

Unfortunately, probably some of the older fragrances in the roster will likely be gone. From the classics, I think GIT is safe; the rest I'm not sure.

When thinking about Creed's future and whether it's going to be better, also think of where they are standing today. Their latest notable release was Aventus (2011?). The image of the brand is becoming more irrelevant. Millennials do spend money on luxury fragrances but they do so only on brands with values and stories aligned with their own. A heritage brand that stands for bygone times of old European aristocracy speaks to very few.
    Yeah, I'm also thinking along these lines, though I'm not sure I agree on the need for repositioning. I think Creed took care of that already and now, as has been stated already, is a darling of young high earners.

BlackRock is investing in wealth stratification, which is a trend that probably isn't going anywhere soon. Creed is a brand that has built a large, loyal following amount a coveted demographic. That's an asset which will continue to pay dividends as long as it isn't mismanaged into irrelevance. BlackRock 100% knows this. Creed isn't a failing business to be bought at a discount and squeezed dry, and I think there's an incentive to at least try to do this right.

In other words, this:
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
    Every time I go to the department store fragrance counters there is one section where there is a guaranteed audience testing bottles, and that's the Creed counter. And often it's younger people too. High Snobriety, one of those hip publications catering to the coolest of the cool millennials, even hosted the NYC launch of Aventus Cologne. I just don't agree at all that the brand's image is fading with millennials.
    Is why I don't think quality will drop through the floor and the scents will hit Ulta. That would defeat the whole purpose of the investment.

As much as Creed’s recent product and brand strategy bothered me as a fragrance fan, they did a tremendous job positioning for this scenario. The above didn’t describe Creed a decade ago.

My guess is Creed had consultants advising on how to become exactly what a PE buyer would want. So if you like what Creed is now, I’d expect more of the same but with more marketing and production firepower.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."
    Currently wearing: Tsar by Van Cleef & Arpels

Dependent

I wonder what a Creed video advertisement will be like?

Freed from BN Institution

The Creed that I used to know essentially died nearly 10 years ago. Perhaps this news is part of Olivier Creed's riding into the sunset and eventual retirement.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Bayrhum-Vetiver by Creed

Default Re: Uh oh. "BlackRock Long Term Private Capital to Invest in Luxury Fragrance Company Creed"

Quote Originally Posted by mrcologneguy View Post
    A horrible fragrance debacle waiting to happen. Lower quality, higher prices. It’s the way of private equity buyouts everywhere. BlackRock is in it only until they can resell to another group of soulless corporate weasels, inevitably resulting in further quality dilution. My condolences to the Creed family. So sorry your current leaders sold you out.
    Could it be possible that that the Creed family could be potentially removed from the business all together including Erwin?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post

BlackRock is investing in wealth stratification, which is a trend that probably isn't going anywhere soon. Creed is a brand that has built a large, loyal following amount a coveted demographic. That's an asset which will continue to pay dividends as long as it isn't mismanaged into irrelevance. BlackRock 100% knows this. Creed isn't a failing business to be bought at a discount and squeezed dry, and I think there's an incentive to at least try to do this right.

In other words, this:

Is why I don't think quality will drop through the floor and the scents will hit Ulta. That would defeat the whole purpose of the investment.

Agreed. No guarantees with predictions but the idea of low quality/low price/commercial crap might be a miss. Several have mentioned buyouts leading to problems and that is generally true. But this case may be different .....

Look at the numbers here... ignore the blackrock total but this specific equity fund is targeting $10-12 Billion in size. The first round they have already raised $2.75B. The Authentic Brands deal was 875 million, the smallest one I found was 177 million. For Creed, rough figures show perhaps max of 30m profits and max valuation of $360 million. The article says a majority was bought so perhaps over half of that, 180M. (Admitting these figures were pulled with very minimal search time, anyone that really wants to dig in could surely do better).

Regardless of the exact numbers, this is most likely one of the smallest acquisitions they have done and probably smaller than most that they are likely to do in the future. They also mention this fund is designed for longer holding periods than standard private equity funds. If they know and trust the Ferran guy to increase value, then they may just let him run with it. Whether that leads to low quality and crap, or investments, who knows... anyone know anything about Ferran as a chairman? But the Creed family still contain some stake - it would be interesting to know how much. If they have 1% perhaps they don't care, but if they still have 1/3 of more then they have an ongoing interest in the company's success.

A last thought...... who here wants to say they own Creed??? Blackrock will have more rounds for this fund, if it's not ongoing already, to keep working up to the 10B. You have to be an "accredited investor" to even be allowed to do it... so it's kind of like that old bit if you have to ask how much you can't afford it!!! But surely there are some wealthy members here who might be looking for a long-term investment....

Just think about if, if you buy into the fund you are then a co-owner of Creed!!! Granted your share of the company is about as much as my two bottles is a share of Creed holdings on BN... but still, that would make for quite the impact when you tell your fragrance enthusiast friends!!!! Someone could post on here I own Creed (part of it anyway) and be telling the truth.....

Heaven's made of oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    All the really unicorny stuff like Orange Spice, Acier Aluminium, Santal Imperiale, Royal English Leather, Tabarôme, and Bai de Genievre are long-gone anyway. If they kill off Bois du Portugal or Royal Water (the only traditional fougère and chypre left in the line respectively), they've only shrugged off the last vestiges of what they were. The other 90% of the line is purely modern "millenial" minded stuff already, save maybe Erolfa since it's a very dated aquatic.

I don't think there is anything to worry about besides quality control, which has been a mixed bag for decades. If Creed goes downmarket and makes more designer-y eau de toilettes, they're effectively coming full-circle to where they were price-wise in the 80's, just with a much bigger market footprint. Stuff like Roja Dove and Royal Crown has been beating Creed at their own "ultra luxury" game for a while, so that was a battle they just realized they could no longer win. It's been a war of attrition from competitors for years.
    I fear it'll all get too 'corporate' and uniformed or start releasing flankers to their existing lineup. 'Dioresque', if you will. Waters they've already tread with Aventus.
    Non IFRA Compliant & proud of it!
    Currently wearing: Quorum by Antonio Puig

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    I fear it'll all get too 'corporate' and uniformed or start releasing flankers to their existing lineup. 'Dioresque', if you will. Waters they've already tread with Aventus.
    Aventus Cologne was the dry run for this business model shift, mark my words. We'll see stuff like Millésime Impérial Extrême and La Nuit de Mayfair soon.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Could it be possible that that the Creed family could be potentially removed from the business all together including Erwin?
    That would be very weird. The Creed family are the perfumers are they not? A Creed made by a perfumer other than a Creed? I wonder how that will play out with the fragrance customers?
    Currently wearing: Cedre Blanc by Creed

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

I’ve kind of lost interest in wearing Creed even though I quite like some of their products. I will just be a spectator from the sidelines, although I am a small enough human that I may find the wailing and gnashing of teeth by fanboys to be amusing.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    That would be very weird. The Creed family are the perfumers are they not? A Creed made by a perfumer other than a Creed? I wonder how that will play out with the fragrance customers?
    That happened with Guerlain. After LVHM take over in 1994 Jean-Paul was gradually phased out but that took 15 years before they cut ties with him.

Dependent

I did my research and I wonder if this decision by Creed was influenced by the IFRA regulations basically slowly fleecing Aventus and their other fragrances of their key ingredients (oakmoss back in 2013, lyral in 2020, and by 2021 damascones/rose ketones etc.) and Creed is jumping ship knowing their future formulations could spell disaster, and they're transferring their fragile company into a sort of safe haven as a mitigation strategy.

I also wonder if the 'centuries old heritage' of Creed will be exposed, there is no evidence of anything Creed related prior to the mid 1980s. But it seems BlackRock drank the Kool Aid... with tequila and that won't be happening.

While the takeover is quite likely to lead to lower quality etc, I guess that's not certain either and they may keep up - or even improve - quality.

One thing I think is at SERIOUS threat though is the pricing disparity between markets whereby prices in continental Europe are lower than the UK, which is turn is lower than the US - and I doubt the UK and US will be going down to match the EU prices! Folks buying splits, prepare for big price rises!

Quote Originally Posted by Proust_Madeleine View Post
    Grab them if you like em. Things will be changing soon.
    That's the problem, they don't make anything I'd be sad about losing lol
    Don't stank.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Marand75 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    Aventus Cologne was the dry run for this business model shift, mark my words. We'll see stuff like Millésime Impérial Extrême and La Nuit de Mayfair soon.
    You know, I was thinking to myself that if these guys would have struck earlier, several releases would have been done way better.

Aventus for Her would not have been wearing a damn pantsuit, impressing nobody, and would have launched at a sensible time. It would have been femme but stirring up the bros as sexy.

Viking would have launched on time and under budget, instead of all those crazy delays (remember that waiting thread?) Maybe some better early pricing to stir up better early word-of-mouth. Should have been what Dior Homme 2020 is now, leading edge back-to-woody masculinity, only ritzier. It was almost there, but I think the price killed it.

Acqua Fiorentina - something wrong with this one - didn't attract the rich girls. New Creed will fix that, drag in the "frag bras".

Aventus Cologne - Nah - a GIT flanker, modern and "must have", would have been a better move, IMO.

Lots of room to ditch the bottom performers, double the releases of mainline stuff at optimal demand prices, and not make mistakes by pleasing the sqeaky-wheel "heritage" customers.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast