Code of Conduct
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Default Re: Creed no longer family-owned

Quote Originally Posted by gewoonBB View Post
    I think you need to read that again. There's 1 investment company and that bought a majority stake. Creed is still involved, but he's not having the majority = not having ownership anymore.
    "Creed is no longer family controlled" would be more accurate, but effect is the basically the same. When it comes down to it, their minority interest and any say they have in management can be eliminated at the majority's whim, in the event of any disagreement.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Default Re: As of today, Creed is no longer a family owned brand

Creed’s sales trajectory is straight upwards the last ten years. For its new owners to do anything to change that would betray the very reason they acquired it in the first place. Let’s assume with Olivier and Erwin still at the table the brand will continue to maintain quality and brand recognition. Things will certainly change, but changing for the worse would hurt the folks driving this acquisition far more than any of us.

Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    Creed’s sales trajectory is straight upwards the last ten years. For its new owners to do anything to change that would betray the very reason they acquired it in the first place. Let’s assume with Olivier and Erwin still at the table the brand will continue to maintain quality and brand recognition. Things will certainly change, but changing for the worse would hurt the folks driving this acquisition far more than any of us.
    They were certainly acquired for a reason, and that reason was not "to put out high quality perfumes". I've never seen this sort of thing end up with a net positive for existing fans.
    Quality will almost absolutely be the first thing to go downhill. (Though I suppose if they wanted to be sneaky, they'd raise the price to "keep using quality materials", then reformulate everything with subpar materials, and then re-release them at a lower price point "due to customer demand" and say that they had to cut costs somewhere).

Time will tell in the end, but as you said, they certainly had a goal for acquiring the company, I just don't think that goal will in anyway be positive for most of the original fans.

Then again, I don't trust anyone

Quote Originally Posted by wood&leather View Post
    Roja Qatar is a blatant copy of Tom Ford tuscan leather
    no disrespect, but, um... NO. not even close.

been wearing TL for 10 years and Qatar for 5. i wouldn’t even put them in the same CLASS of fragrance, much less call one a copy of the other.

TL is a dark, boozy, rich leather. Qatar is a light, sweet ambergris and oud with citrus.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    For real - VIW is probably my best performing Creed fragrance and smells in another dimension to any clone or other fragrance that tries to copy it. To my nose, it's perfection.
    Exactly, if Creed quality drops off it's a huge blow for all of us in the fragrance community, lovers and critics. I am a critic myself, I have called out Creed for being misleading and saying things that aren't true but their fragrances more than cancels out any complaints I have. I hope nothing changes except for maybe bringing manufacturing to the US for pricing reasons, oh and a reformulation of Aventus to be more niche and smoky

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Lots of room to ditch the bottom performers, double the releases of mainline stuff at optimal demand prices, and not make mistakes by pleasing the sqeaky-wheel "heritage" customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I get it, I really do, but you've basically described the business model of most designers now: kill off anything more than a decade old unless it still sells in buckets (aka the "evergreens" like AdG or Polo), then cannibalize names with heritage on new fragrances, and race to the bottom like perfume is a mathematical equation and you're solving for X with that being the average of the most mass-appeal values combined. It's making perfume so BORING and soon Creed will be doing it too, but wanting top dollar for it.
    This is why I love family and other "closely held" businesses that value intangible assets over "dumb money". I cheer for all such businesses to resist, but when you surrender, surrender smart, and surrender well!

There are new models which are infecting the designer world - the dreaded diversity, if you look for it - and I cheer such rebels.

Gucci - Alessandro Michele is shaking things up, by breaking all their old rules, and daring to strike out in his own direction, different from both Tom Ford and Frida Giannini. Yeah, there are a bunch of appeals to weird stuff that's not my cup of tea, but that's freedom. If I had money, I'd buy more of their "other creed-compatible" stuff just to support a truly independent designer's more uplifting half.

Zara - time exclusivity on inexpensive ephemeral coolness as luxury for the young and unmoneyed crowd. I love it - just a great idea. Power to it.

So what can Creed do? I'd say try to break the mold in designer. Now is the time. Don't go stupid Abercrombie & Fitch (I actually shopped there when they had snowshoes and creels) where values just dropped out the bottom and the brand lost all but the name, but don't be hog-tied by dead unintentional retro that's starting to stink.

Creed can be cool, but the first rule of Creed cool would be never admitting it was ever cool. There has to be some self-image of Creed that just seems smarter and more "now" while being more optimally "back in the day", too. Something that defies the idea that newer versions of older have to suck, and besides, "You can't afford the best." Say "bullshit" to both of those, to reclaim that sweet spot when both Windsor and Aventus came out, or maybe achieve something even better.

We'll see. I'm hopeful here, because I feel like Creed was slipping, and needs both what it had but also some kind of correction. I was a huge fan and lost interest. It wasn't just all the other reasons, which were many. Some of it was the offerings. Nothing wowed any more.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
    no disrespect, but, um... NO. not even close.

been wearing TL for 10 years and Qatar for 5. i wouldn’t even put them in the same CLASS of fragrance, much less call one a copy of the other.

TL is a dark, boozy, rich leather. Qatar is a light, sweet ambergris and oud with citrus.
    He just smells stuff differently, but stick with him, and you'll see all your old faves from a new angle. Bigsly is like that for me, too.

Same post - comparing BdC Parfum and Viking - I never saw the similarities until just now when he said that. Yeah, I still wouldn't lump them together, but I have a new perspective on those two now. Probably a couple of shared components.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

This is why I love family and other "closely held" businesses that value intangible assets over "dumb money". I cheer for all such businesses to resist, but when you surrender, surrender smart, and surrender well!

There are new models which are infecting the designer world - the dreaded diversity, if you look for it - and I cheer such rebels.

Gucci - Alessandro Michele is shaking things up, by breaking all their old rules, and daring to strike out in his own direction, different from both Tom Ford and Frida Giannini. Yeah, there are a bunch of appeals to weird stuff that's not my cup of tea, but that's freedom. If I had money, I'd buy more of their "other creed-compatible" stuff just to support a truly independent designer's more uplifting half.

Zara - time exclusivity on inexpensive ephemeral coolness as luxury for the young and unmoneyed crowd. I love it - just a great idea. Power to it.

So what can Creed do? I'd say try to break the mold in designer. Now is the time. Don't go stupid Abercrombie & Fitch (I actually shopped there when they had snowshoes and creels) where values just dropped out the bottom and the brand lost all but the name, but don't be hog-tied by dead unintentional retro that's starting to stink.

Creed can be cool, but the first rule of Creed cool would be never admitting it was ever cool. There has to be some self-image of Creed that just seems smarter and more "now" while being more optimally "back in the day", too. Something that defies the idea that newer versions of older have to suck, and besides, "You can't afford the best." Say "bullshit" to both of those, to reclaim that sweet spot when both Windsor and Aventus came out, or maybe achieve something even better.

We'll see. I'm hopeful here, because I feel like Creed was slipping, and needs both what it had but also some kind of correction. I was a huge fan and lost interest. It wasn't just all the other reasons, which were many. Some of it was the offerings. Nothing wowed any more.
    I think Creed has been sowing the seeds to grow this eventuality for 25+ years, ever since the success of Green Irish Tweed made them step away from the "art and history" model budding niche brands were using then towards the "upwardly-mobile confidence juice" for the not-yet-rich white collar crowd (finance bros, lawyers, upper-tier tech bros, etc.).

The 90's and 2000's saw them gradually court this market more with mass-appeal fragrances for men that had "cut above" quality, and the ego-stroking marketing copy to match. Aventus and the discontinuation of the EdT range was the culmination of this process. They stopped being a niche brand, and became a luxury brand; the Louis Vuitton of perfumes for men.

Now Roja Dove, Royal Crown, Fragrance du Bois, Parfums de Marly, Initio, Xerjoff, and others fiercely compete in that space, so Olivier Creed "sold out" to exit before they slide down the hill too much and his son (obviously a jet-setting playboy who's more the mouthpiece/face than a perfumer) can just live a life of privilege responsibility-free. Let someone else think about Creed's future.

For me, this means larger manufacturing and the dispelling of any illusions that Creed uses all-natural "noble" ingredients, demographic-based fragrances like the designers they sit above, and total death of any legacy fragrance before 2000 save maybe GIT and the "waters". The Acquas were expanded so that's the entry-level for now, but I bet they axe the $550+ royale exclusif range and market a Tom Ford-ish $180-220 line that'll end up in a ton more stores.

I think they'll double-down on the aspirational upperclassmen market while the ecomomy holds, but if economic inequality makes the bottom fall out, they'll poof like so many luxury brands did during the Great Depression. Remember Jean Parys-René? Nobody does. The 1929 crash killed them. They were Creed before it was cool, just minus the male focus. Olivier and Son are just taking theirs "to go" cuz they see the writing.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I think Creed has been sowing the seeds to grow this eventuality for 25+ years, ever since the success of Green Irish Tweed made them step away from the "art and history" model budding niche brands were using then towards the "upwardly-mobile confidence juice" for the not-yet-rich white collar crowd (finance bros, lawyers, upper-tier tech bros, etc.).

The 90's and 2000's saw them gradually court this market more with mass-appeal fragrances for men that had "cut above" quality, and the ego-stroking marketing copy to match. Aventus and the discontinuation of the EdT range was the culmination of this process. They stopped being a niche brand, and became a luxury brand; the Louis Vuitton of perfumes for men.

Now Roja Dove, Royal Crown, Fragrance du Bois, Parfums de Marly, Initio, Xerjoff, and others fiercely compete in that space, so Olivier Creed "sold out" to exit before they slide down the hill too much and his son (obviously a jet-setting playboy who's more the mouthpiece/face than a perfumer) can just live a life of privilege responsibility-free. Let someone else think about Creed's future.

For me, this means larger manufacturing and the dispelling of any illusions that Creed uses all-natural "noble" ingredients, demographic-based fragrances like the designers they sit above, and total death of any legacy fragrance before 2000 save maybe GIT and the "waters". The Acquas were expanded so that's the entry-level for now, but I bet they axe the $550+ exclusif range and market a Tom Ford-ish $180-220 line that'll end up in a ton more stores.

I think they'll double-down on the aspirational upperclassmen market while the ecomomy holds, but if economic inequality makes the bottom fall out, they'll poof like so many luxury brands did during the Great Depression. Remember Jean Parys-René? Nobody does. The 1929 crash killed them. They were Creed before it was cool, just minus the male focus. Olivier and Son are just taking theirs "to go" cuz they see the writing.
    Agree with all of that, but I think Creed is now well-positioned to survive what's coming, whatever one believes that may be, by being in a mobile state. Whether new management makes the right moves is all on them now. Hope they've got some people with understanding of the times - plugged into more than just the standard media.

Luxury is a relative thing. It means different things to different people. But in the end, to provide it, means providing essential happiness to people through beautiful things of a "non-essential" nature. Those who anticipate the changes in that market - including who the market really is - can not only survive, but flourish. Seeing all people differently as the media monopoly on worldview crumbles will not only keep people's kayaks from swamping, but will have those who truly see the goal racing to the front of the pack. I remain hopeful!

Dependent

For me, this means larger manufacturing and the dispelling of any illusions that Creed uses all-natural "noble" ingredients, demographic-based fragrances like the designers they sit above, and total death of any legacy fragrance before 2000 save maybe GIT and the "waters". The Acquas were expanded so that's the entry-level for now, but I bet they axe the $550+ royale exclusif range and market a Tom Ford-ish $180-220 line that'll end up in a ton more stores.

I'd be stoked for some Creed 100mls at that price range, you also have to factor in the fact that Creed might move manufacturing to the U.S. or Canada which would help lower costs.

Basenotes Plus

Guess it may seem a little late to stock up on some old favorites. For me it’s Bois du Portugal (wearing the last drops), Original Vetiver, Royal Oud and Spice & Woods. Can anyone verify if the newer 100 ml bottle comes with reformulations?
    Currently wearing: Sir Winston by Bortnikoff

Always be smelling

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    Was Bois du Portugal reformulated? I must know this, since it is the only Creed that I believe in.
    Oh yes. The vintage one is really really good almost 10/10.
    The current one is just nice 6/10.

As many have opined, Creed (like most fragrance houses have) reformulated everything good they had.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    Oh yes. The vintage one is really really good almost 10/10.
    The current one is just nice 6/10.

As many have opined, Creed (like most fragrance houses have) reformulated everything good they had.
    NO, NO! This can't be true. I bought my bottle in 2007. I will never smell the gorgeousness of BdP again....
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

RIP longevity and quality
    was ever any?
    1976 - Yatagan Caron
    1977 - Snuff by Schiaparelli
    1981 - Kouros YSL
    1988 - Fahrenheit Dior
    1980 - Patou Pour Homme
    1987 - Lapidus Pour Homme
    1981 - Quorum Antonio Puig
    1993 - Insense by Givenchy
    2014 - Dior Homme Parfum
    1987 - Ho Hang Club Balenciaga

Realistically, what does this mean for their current releases? Forgetting whatever the brand might put out in the future now, and quality aside, does this mean now places like Sephora will carry Aventus, Silver Mountain Water, Royal Oud, etc. Basically the current Millesime lineup. It would really suck if a lot of the Creed staples become the next Sauvage. Not that they would if the pricing didn’t change, but it just may if the quality is compromised.
    Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book, just turn the page.

"It smells really good, it's not Aventus though."

Hmm!! What's that coming over the hill? Flankers galore.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Woman In Gold by By Kilian

He just smells stuff differently, but stick with him, and you'll see all your old faves from a new angle. Bigsly is like that for me, too.

Same post - comparing BdC Parfum and Viking - I never saw the similarities until just now when he said that. Yeah, I still wouldn't lump them together, but I have a new perspective on those two now. Probably a couple of shared components.
    he could also just be wrong. lol

if he sees some hidden similarity between the two, i’d love to hear his take. but to say Qatar is an intentional, “blatant copy” of Tuscan Leather... then i’m sorry, that is just incorrect to the point where i’m wondering if he’s confusing Qatar for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    was ever any?
    I don't have as much Creed experience as most, but most times I have sampled anything from Creed, they last all day, into the next morning. All I own is GIT and it does that for me quite well. The weakest one I have tried so far is Aventus.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    I don't have as much Creed experience as most, but most times I have sampled anything from Creed, they last all day, into the next morning. All I own is GIT and it does that for me quite well. The weakest one I have tried so far is Aventus.
    Same...even lighter ones like Silver Mountain Water have very extended bases on me, thanks to the fixatives used. It's that ambergris/ambrox base. The outliers like Neroli Sauvage are not meant to be long lasting.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

RIP longevity and quality
    Yeah...unfortunately that's a given when big corps step in and take over.

Goodbye to each individual fragrances identity as well.

They will change completely as the money people push the cheap ingredients while expecting more profits...never taking into account that their sales will plummet when they do this and they'll kill the goose that laid the golden egg.

It's happened with many successful businesses and will continue to happen when the founders who actually love their products and work hard to make something they're proud of and that people love sell their love to financially minded investors.

I'm grateful that I've been able to enjoy Creed fragrances for the last 6.5 years. Only wish I would have discovered them sooner.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by peter4ptv View Post
    was ever any?
    Way back in the day

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Finnster View Post
    he could also just be wrong. lol

LOL!

"Somebody's nose is wrong on the internet!"

duty_calls.jpg

Creed will be fine. Still haven’t seen compelling arguments as to why the opposite will be the case.

It’s a relatively small company that has an excellent profit margin. They have an established method and machinery in perpetual operation for the production of their perfumes. This will likely be altered and tweaked but not derailed.

Distribution is tight and might open up, or it might not.

Creed has been slipping a bit without corporate intervention (The Acqua Originale line is proof), so clearly they need some level of change, but nothing they’ve ever done has been debilitating to the brand.

People ought to have a little faith.

Following up on my previous post here why Creed's acquisition is a good idea, I posted a more comprehensive post of what I think will come next:

http://scentbound.co/the-creed-acquisition-what-happens-next/

In short, over the next two years, we'll likely see:

1. Less batch variations;
    2. Wider distributions (Creed in Sephora?);
    3. More flankers; etc.

Essentially, Creed will behave more like any other big fragrance house. I don't think the quality will go down but the bottle sizes might.
    Writing about the art of smelling good at ScentBound.co.

"If a fragrance is too perfect or too pretty, it becomes boring. Fragrances – like people – have to have some kind of imperfection." - Frederic Malle

Basenotes Plus

I think the lack of variation will be a godsend, will be nice to enjoy a Creed fragrance and when you finish a bottle you know what to expect with the next bottle. Hoarding certain batch numbers because they smelled better is ridiculous, I’ve done it never again haha as long as the quality stays and we keep getting excellent fragrances by Creed I’ll be a possible buyer.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentBound View Post
    Following up on my previous post here why Creed's acquisition is a good idea, I posted a more comprehensive post of what I think will come next:

http://scentbound.co/the-creed-acquisition-what-happens-next/

In short, over the next two years, we'll likely see:

1. Less batch variations;
    2. Wider distributions (Creed in Sephora?);
    3. More flankers; etc.

Essentially, Creed will behave more like any other big fragrance house. I don't think the quality will go down but the bottle sizes might.
    Excellent blog post. I agree 100% that Creed may now develop a Tom Ford-like approach and issue a more affordable line at around the $200 price-point, which would gateway customers to the upper $500 price-point. Also axing underperforming frags is a good thing for a brand so we should expect it as a normal course of action.

Basenotes Plus

I just ordered a back up 4oz flask-version of Bois du Portugal that will hopefully last for the rest of my life in combination with 60% full 2.5 oz I currently own. I just can't trust that this epic gem will remain the same scent many years from now over the counter. I didn't really earmark the money for this purchase but figure I have little choice but to act now to get a bottle version that I know is legit. I hardly trust the current 3.3oz size as it is (although I think the 3.3oz is fine and just needs maceration time on the shelf). I had to go 4oz now or end up shelling out ridiculous bucks later if I wanted a backup of the real deal.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    I just ordered a back up 4oz flask-version of Bois du Portugal that will hopefully last for the rest of my life in combination with 60% full 2.5 oz I currently own. I just can't trust that this epic gem will remain the same scent many years from now over the counter. I didn't really earmark the money for this purchase but figure I have little choice but to act now to get a bottle version that I know is legit. I hardly trust the current 3.3oz size as it is (although I think the 3.3oz is fine and just needs maceration time on the shelf). I had to go 4oz now or end up shelling out ridiculous bucks later if I wanted a backup of the real deal.
    Good call. I had the 120 ml in my cart yesterday but dithered for a bit - didn’t think I’d ever use it all up. Next thing I knew it’s all gone. Oh well...
    Currently wearing: Sir Winston by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Plus

LOL!

"Somebody's nose is wrong on the internet!"

duty_calls.jpg
    xkcd comics are great for examples of cognitive biases. I cannot recall if this comic is Illusion of validity or a type of Confirmation bias.
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Good call. I had the 120 ml in my cart yesterday but dithered for a bit - didn’t think I’d ever use it all up. Next thing I knew it’s all gone. Oh well...
    Yeah Bois du Portugal doesn't require many sprays (maybe 1-2, never need more than 2) to be applied and, as a result, is a fragrance that lasts on the shelf. I was just playing it super safe by buying the back up. Also, I will be buying a few other Creed backups, which is going to cut into my shopping for new frags this year. I never thought Creed would sell the control of their business away. There are no longer any guarantees you will get the same quality. I think Creed fans should buy the remaining stock up now or they could likely regret it in years to come.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast