Code of Conduct
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
o
    Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: Vintage Antaeus Thread

Quote Originally Posted by adamn2020 View Post
    Received my bottle yesterday and I was able to decant some and wear it around the house.. The cap was on so tight that I could tell it has not been opened for some time. The first spray I am hit with the Classic Chanel Aldehydes with some sweet note sitting in the background. I am unable to distinguish what the sweetness is but it is very pleasant.. It is strong, and from what I can tell, the tops notes are still intact. I was able to still smell it on the back of my hand when I woke up this morning so longevity will not be a problem. I am very happy with my find, I feel like it is a gamble when you purchase vintage splash bottles, but this one must have been sitting untouched for years. I also have a vintage Egoiste that I will write about in another thread.

Attachment 121158
    A nice initial impressions, glad the splash bottle was intact which isn't always guaranteed. Looking forward to your impression of Egoiste New York/Paris EDT.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Nobile by Gucci

This is the one of my two bottles. The second looks exactly the same.

FCBC979D-A8F7-4DDC-A741-D9D51F85A5E7.jpeg

Wearing Perfume Right Now

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    This is the one of my two bottles. The second looks exactly the same.
    It looks like you came up sixes with this bottle. I'm not surprised. I'm happy you liked it enough to back it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    It looks like you came up sixes with this bottle. I'm not surprised. I'm happy you liked it enough to back it up.
    Indeed, vintage Antaeus has been a beloved perfume for years. But it is getting difficult to find bottles for normal prices in Europe.

So I am giving an update on my bottle I posted about a week ago. Without a doubt, this is the best smelling Antaeus I own, from start to finish. It lasts hours longer than my other bottles and the Drydown is AMAZING. I need some help though, I am not good at describing scents, can somebody explain the classic Antaeus dry down for me notes wise?

What I get in the dry down is almost a musky-sweet-refined smell that I don’t know how to describe. I’m 110% pleased with my Vintage purchase, for a bottle this old it amazes me how it still packs a punch in projection, then lasts throughout the day and into the night. It truly is a legend of a fragrance. I marked my bottle I am referring too.
    FECD7E1D-509F-4E66-AB7B-EFC895AD9251.jpg

Thank you for the notes, Adam! That's a big shout out for made-in-France Antaeus. I'm kinda, sorta curious to see how dark the juice is from the 50-ml made-in-the-US splash and from the 100-ml made-in-France splash.

I assume the 50-ml splash is an edt, and not after shave? I'm not certain, but I think that's the older bottle, but only by a year or two, maybe.

It sounds like the 100-ml splash aged well. I'm surprised, but happy, that you unearthed such an agreeable bottle of Antaeus, and now have a new flagship for your Antaeus collection!

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    Thank you for the notes, Adam! That's a big shout out for made-in-France Antaeus. I'm kinda, sorta curious to see how dark the juice is from the 50-ml made-in-the-US splash and from the 100-ml made-in-France splash.

I assume the 50-ml splash is an edt, and not after shave? I'm not certain, but I think that's the older bottle, but only by a year or two, maybe.

It sounds like the 100-ml splash aged well. I'm surprised, but happy, that you unearthed such an agreeable bottle of Antaeus, and now have a new flagship for your Antaeus collection!
    The 50ml is only slightly darker than the 100ml Paris (Hard to tell in picture).. They smell very similar but the 100ml has more of an earthier/sweeter smell, where the 50ml is sharper and doesn’t get to earthy.

My 7.5ml sample is the darkest of all, and was actually my first Antaeus purchase ever! It’s what started my Antaeus journey!
    1CDD6A5A-5CC5-4AB5-B150-A81FBF3C87C5.jpg

3-1-2. That's how I like 'em.

#1 is a little powdery to me. It's a little more "gentlemanly" than #3, if you will. Slightly thinner.

#3 is more leathery, and perhaps it's something animalic in the blend which gives me a somewhat smoky accord. I like that. It feels a little deeper to me.

#2 actually reminds me of Kouros in the opening. I can't pinpoint what the ingredients are that are doing it, but I think they share some DNA. It's softer out of the gate than #3 or #1, and dries down softer as well. As it does, it aligns less with Kouros, and more with #1 and #3. It pretty much becomes a tie for second with #1, to be honest.

To me, #3 is the OG, and #1 is somewhere on the transition to the current formulation, which is altogether much softer and floral to my nose. To quote myself from the "Antaeus: Curent vs. Vintage Formulation" thread:

"I recently scored a vintage sample from our friend, Live Jazz, and to me it is hands down the better version. It has a lot more body, more depth, and more staying power than the current formulation. Neither projects much, but vintage radiates nicely on the skin. I get an almost smoky effect from the vintage, from what I guess are the animalics and the leather mixing together. It's so well blended. The current formulation leans floral to me and has a slightly feminine feel to it. This is one of the classiest fragrances I've smelled."

Some prefer Sport because of the softer opening. I love the deep, animalic, smoky opening of OG Antaeus. I could even double down on it. My skin eats fragrances, and as a result, I've dabbed hard with the splash sample I have which is almost gone now, and I'm going to spray with abandon the samples that Bavard kindly provided. I tip my hat to him for including me in the pass.

To keep it all in perspective, we're talking about splitting hairs here. While I find #3 and #1 close cousins, and #2 to have some distant relation to Kouros, they're all Antaeus at the end of the day.

I know I'm not skilled at note separation and description, and my taste might be different that yours. So if you found this all to be BS, no worries, but that's what I smell!

Excuse me while I go down the Paris vs. New York rabbit hole...
    Last edited by RC.; 26th March 2020 at 02:07 PM.

My introduction to Antaeus looks like your NY 7.5ml, as well. It's also what #3 from the sample pass looks like.

The 50ml is only slightly darker than the 100ml Paris (Hard to tell in picture).. They smell very similar but the 100ml has more of an earthier/sweeter smell, where the 50ml is sharper and doesn’t get to earthy.

My 7.5ml sample is the darkest of all, and was actually my first Antaeus purchase ever! It’s what started my Antaeus journey!

Great posts, RC! Humility seems to be the perfect mindset to review fragrances.

All Is Beautiful

andAttachment 121545

SOTA

loving it as always. I think I have 3 or 4 bottles...
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Freed from BN Institution

Great collection of Antaeus, I probably should do a side to side comparison between my 80s New York/Paris and my early 80s Paris only bottle.

Continue to seek out more backups, Antaeus is a great candidate for infinite bottles.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Nobile by Gucci