Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Default Re: The Greatest Blind-Buy Disappointments of your Life

Quote Originally Posted by ladida View Post
    Guerlain L'eau Boisee
    I was disappointed in this too

Hednic, how have you never blind bought and been disappointed by the frag? That's unbelievable lol. I'm regularly let down by the scent after buying it just based on reviews.

One that comes to mind is ck one shock. Cheapies tend to let down the most, they are easy to buy because they are cheap. But I could have bought a few niche bottleswith the money i've wasted on cheapies I will never wear.
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''
    I want to look good and smell great
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    I was disappointed in this too
    I really like that one for the summer! what disappoints you about it?
    ''Just because I have nice things doesn't mean I'm rich; It means I spend my money poorly''
    I want to look good and smell great
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    For me,

Bentley Intense - The hype way overplayed what it really smells like, which is a totally synthetic wanna-be modern boozy rum scent. It smells more like a vinyl cup that had rum in it 30 days ago and you still smell a hint of rum under the plastic smell. Then there is a phony jolly rancher candy thing in the core. And the whole scent lacks 'meat' and has a 'hollow' type of feel to it. I just don't get why people call this 'niche smelling'. If you want a natural, artisan rum, then try Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Atomic Age Bay Rum. Completely natural components with punch and substance. I don't 'hate' Bentley Intense, but the way it was hyped up and the note composition sounded like it was something I would really like so I blind bought it. ITurns out I would likely 'pass' on it even at the cheap price it sells for. I don't think I've worn it more than one time. And it got a compliment from my co-workers. But me, personally, it just didn't smell that great to me.
    I do like Bentley Intense, but if I recall correctly - I think part of the hype was over the notion that few car companies actually have good fragrances and Bentley Intense was seen as a surprising exception.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tcmquincy View Post
    I really like that one for the summer! what disappoints you about it?
    +1 it’s far more interesting imo compared to TDH and goes with lime instead of orange. I wear it a lot in the warmer temperatures, will be getting a second bottle once I start wearing it again used quite a bit of my current 100ml.
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Sex Pistols and XS come to mind.

Interesting conversation about the Guerlain.

I already have most of the TdH series (TdH/TdH Trés Fraiche/TdH Eau Intense Vetiver, but not the Parfum) but as a possible new Summer fragrance my intention was to compare the Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisée to Hermès Eau d’Orange Vert.
    Currently wearing: Baie 19 by Le Labo

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    For me, this one was the worst blind buy (glad I only spent $20) –

Am just about with Andre down on all aquatics. Seems like almost every blue one it's like WTH did I buy this. For some reason, incanto blue gets a neutral instead of a sucks. Not that I would buy it again, but something in it hitting us in very different ways....

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    For me,

Bentley Intense - The hype way overplayed what it really smells like, which is a totally synthetic wanna-be modern boozy rum scent. It smells more like a vinyl cup that had rum in it 30 days ago and you still smell a hint of rum under the plastic smell. Then there is a phony jolly rancher candy thing in the core. And the whole scent lacks 'meat' and has a 'hollow' type of feel to it. I just don't get why people call this 'niche smelling'. If you want a natural, artisan rum, then try Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Atomic Age Bay Rum. Completely natural components with punch and substance. I don't 'hate' Bentley Intense, but the way it was hyped up and the note composition sounded like it was something I would really like so I blind bought it. ITurns out I would likely 'pass' on it even at the cheap price it sells for. I don't think I've worn it more than one time. And it got a compliment from my co-workers. But me, personally, it just didn't smell that great to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I do like Bentley Intense, but if I recall correctly - I think part of the hype was over the notion that few car companies actually have good fragrances and Bentley Intense was seen as a surprising exception.

I got this as the second bottle in a lot where I wanted the first, so had no expectations. Tried it first time and thought it was vile, more like a Bentley that is on fire than anything else, fully agree with tspencer. Then read about it here and found tons of people think it's great.... go figure. There are a decent number of reviews really not liking it too, seems a bit love it or hate it. Have only tried it twice, so will give it a few more tries before disposal, but not optimistic....

But to the car company fragrances... vintage Jaguar for men was great stuff. I think several of the current Jaguar ones are ok considering you can get them for under $15. Nothing great, but maybe better than many at the price point. Have liked a couple of the Ferrari ones too, although can't remember which ones right now beyond "Radiant Bergamot". Although at original prices they are probably not worth it, but seem easy to get at big markdowns.

Have not tried porsche, MB, Hummer (you just expect that one to be really bad), mustang or any of the many others. One that is interesting that I have only seen samples of is Isotta-Fraschini. Has anyone tried that? I have no reason to think the frag is any good just find it interesting someone would use that name at all. My bet is most people on here, except a few auto enthusiasts, would be thinking that's a designer clothes label or something else. Next up, Delahaye for men......

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Same as I've always made it a habit to sample before buying.
    Actually very different, because you sample them before buying. I don't.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by woodnotes55 View Post
    I got this as the second bottle in a lot where I wanted the first, so had no expectations. Tried it first time and thought it was vile, more like a Bentley that is on fire than anything else, fully agree with tspencer. Then read about it here and found tons of people think it's great.... go figure. There are a decent number of reviews really not liking it too, seems a bit love it or hate it. Have only tried it twice, so will give it a few more tries before disposal, but not optimistic....

But to the car company fragrances... vintage Jaguar for men was great stuff. I think several of the current Jaguar ones are ok considering you can get them for under $15. Nothing great, but maybe better than many at the price point. Have liked a couple of the Ferrari ones too, although can't remember which ones right now beyond "Radiant Bergamot". Although at original prices they are probably not worth it, but seem easy to get at big markdowns.

Have not tried porsche, MB, Hummer (you just expect that one to be really bad), mustang or any of the many others. One that is interesting that I have only seen samples of is Isotta-Fraschini. Has anyone tried that? I have no reason to think the frag is any good just find it interesting someone would use that name at all. My bet is most people on here, except a few auto enthusiasts, would be thinking that's a designer clothes label or something else. Next up, Delahaye for men......
    Yes, Vintage Jaguar is one - but again, it is too few and far between many other garbage car fragrances.

You should always try fragrances more than once - you would be surprised how a fragrance that is seemingly offensive at first, actually grows on you sometimes and you end up loving it. Your nose just needed to adapt over time.

Dependent

Kenzo Jungle Homme
    Bogart One Man Show
    Bogart One Man Show Gold
    Joop Nightflight
    Joop Wild
    Kiton Men

Evergreen Dream by Gallagher. On paper, the notes, the reviews, I expected to absolutely love it. It turned out to be absolutely horrible. Nothing like what the notes suggested. I still wonder if the bottle and been stored badly and turned. It has a light LIGHT citrus open, and then it is a hole lot of birch tar and nothing else. Very off-putting. Then after about 20 minutes some soft basenotes come in and add something a little pleasant, but that medicinal tar odor is still predominant. I smell no evergreen anything whatsoever at at stage.

amouage opus X
    “All mankind is from Adam and Eve. An Arab has no superiority over a non-Arab nor a non-Arab has any superiority over an Arab; also a white has no superiority over a black nor a black has any superiority over white except by piety and good action." -

saying of the prophet muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم in what is known as the farewell sermon.

Kenzo Power Cologne

The notes were typical for something I'd like but it just hit me so wrong.
    Hi, I'm William | My Swap Thread | My Sales Thread

When I started out years ago, I got Mont Blanc Individuel on Jeremy Fragrance's recommendations. This was the most cloying and vile chemical slurry in a perfumer's alcohol solution. It was at that point that I stopped listening to that self obsessed guy.

PS: I feel silly saying I used to watch and actually listen to Jeremy Fragrance but hey, we all had to start somewhere.
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Junkie

Areej le Dores
    Creed Royal Oud
    Oliver & Co Vetiverus
    Ferraris
    Mugler Pure Malt
    Mancera Cedrat Boise

Quote Originally Posted by Zizzy View Post
    Areej le Dores
    Creed Royal Oud
    Oliver & Co Vetiverus
    Ferraris
    Mugler Pure Malt
    Mancera Cedrat Boise
    Which Areej Le Dore?
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

There is nothing wrong with it. It's just very simple and uninteresting.

Quote Originally Posted by Wardone View Post
    There is nothing wrong with it. It's just very simple and uninteresting.
    This was about Guerlain L'eau Boisee.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    Which Areej Le Dore?
    The holly grail of ALD - OG Ottoman Empire. And a few more that I tried. Not my thing at all.

Amouage Interlude was just not wearable; too much happening and too strong.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Jessica Simpson Fancy Nights. This one is DCed, but gets a lot of raves as a guy-wearable oriental that is surprisingly good for a celebuscent.

Oh, wow. It has a stinky floral note that only the stinky flower girls can love. Putrid, indolic - it's like plastic flowers rotted. Pink pus from a BAD PLACE. The REAL smell of a John Waters film. The finger came back and did not pass the smell test.

And yet..... there is something badly attractive about it.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    As a huge tobacco fragrance enthusiast, I kept reading comments from people here saying that Aramis Havana was amazing, so I finally pulled the trigger on it with a blind buy and it kind of made me want to vomit. I still haven't put my finger on it, but there is some note in Havana that had a body odor/sweaty vibe to it and it certainly wasn't me. In the past, I even described it maybe something like Indian food - but some people here didn't get that vibe. Anyway on paper, I should have loved Havana, but something about it does not agree with my nose.
    I thought of it as somehing like a weird progenitor of the dense showergel genre, of all things, when I remembered that there must be a bag or a small suitcase filled with fragrant goodies somewhere, one or two years ago. Hey man, look, I have this specimen from the nineties that I must preserve and so I would be happy to relieve you of this burden with an arrangement.

I've had a few bad ones. These were the worst.

Calvin Klein Man
    Rocawear X
    Splendid Wood
    Floriental
    Sundrunk
    Fumidus
    Currently wearing: Jubilation XXV by Amouage

Only one: Caldey Island Lavender

Shockingly, nasty, laundry musk poison. Totally unwearable.

Guerlain L'Homme Ideal. I like Guerlain, I love leather, when the EdP came out a favorite online shop did an Instagram post saying it's a beautiful Leather perfume by Guerlain. What I felt when I opened it? Disappointment is a big understatement.

Dependent

It's funny to go through the posts here and see that some of my favorites are blind buy mistakes for others!

Sillage Monster

None come to mind - I adore blind buys! That said, I do my research beforehand and I don't buy a lot relative to other people.
    Avatar: the late, great Janis Joplin. Beauty begins the moment you decide to be yourself.

Tom Ford Bois Marocain. I received it before it was released here in the states. Sold it within two days, I believe. Utterly boring scent that just laid there on my skin with its legs up in the air.

Another disappointment was Idole Lubin. Too much hype when it was released, not by anyone in general because there wasn't the whole youtube thing going on. Rather, just the websites selling it. Had all the notes I liked, but somehow, despite that great looking bottle, it was rather disappointing and I sold it within a month or two. It probably didn't help that it was released in the late spring/early summer of Las Vegas heat.
    Find out Wassup! In Las Vegas here --> https://www.wassupinlasvegas.com The Bark Bites Back on film here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com
    Currently wearing: Journey Man by Amouage

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast