Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Banned

Default The Greatest Blind-Buy Disappointments of your Life

It would be interesting if we shared experiences of great loss, disappointment and disaster with blind-buys. Many of us must have had this experience, at least once in our lives. I had many:

- Iquitos
    - Egoiste
    - Rive Gauche
    - Opium Pour Homme EDP
    - MKK
    - Heritage

What were the greatest blind-buy disappointments of your life?

disapp.JPG
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Default Re: The Greatest Blind-Buy Disappointments of your Life

Zino.

It may have smelled amazing once upon a time, but the new-ish version I got was basically garbage.

Just my 2 cents.
    Currently wearing: Thirty-three by Ex Idolo

YSL Live Jazz - I couldn't believe what I was smelling and that so many thought it was fab. That's taste for you.
    That Rochas Oud Mystere thing - on the back of Luca Turin's intriguing write up. Had a certain novelty but the materials used seemed too rough and ready,
    At worst, one is in motion; and at best,
    Reaching no absolute, in which to rest,
    One is always nearer by not keeping still.
    Thom Gunn 'On the Move'

Basenotes Plus

Pretty much anything I’ve bought from Bogue lol

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

None that I can recall throughout the years.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Few to none so far, but mainly do to never actually buying 100% blind at least until .

Even if buying little to no fragrances without any prior testing experiences of each and if even had luck each time when buying these actual few, most of the blind buys were actually good or at least not abysmally disappoint, mainly not just thanks to myself, nor a personal intuition/gut feeling as much as thanks to the prior BN advice not just asked but extensively received and being thankful for.

The only reason for not posting outstanding bad experiences among the blind buying ones, is thanks to BN suggestions and recommendations that largely if not entirely averted this so far.
    Currently wearing: Zino Davidoff by Davidoff

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    - Rive Gauche
    - Opium Pour Homme EDP
    - MKK
    - Heritage
    What?? Really??????

Me it was:
    - Guerlain Ambre Eternel: fruity synthetic mess
    - Mac My heroine: disgusting rapserry-ish synthetic
    - Franck Olivier Black Touch: an attempt to do a mix of Terre d'Hermes and Encre Noire with powder on top, very harsh, made me cough

My only blind-buy regret was Rose 31 from Le Labo.

Nerf Herder

Montblanc Legend Night and Issey Miyake L’eau Bleue D’Issey. Both are total scrubbers.

Not a scrubber, but my biggest blind buy shock was Zegna Z New York. I bought it late at night after a long ass day at work and stupidly assumed that I was picking up an office friendly freshie.

Instead I got punched in the face by rum, davana, tobacco and patchouli (and a big slug of ISO E Super if I remember correctly). I ended up loving it, but it was an absolute shock

Fahrenheit Parfum was another in this category... the opening is still rather harsh to my nose and there’s an odd “teriyaki leather” note I pick up in the mix, but the dry down is magnificent. Took a few wears to get used to, but now I love it.
    “Always forgive your enemies - nothing annoys them so much.” - Oscar Wilde
    Currently wearing: Green Irish Tweed by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Jaguar For Men Green, not what I had hoped it to be just blah. Might try vintage in time, but current was extremely underwhelming.
    Currently wearing: Allure Homme by Chanel

PDN Cap Neroli - just smelled too feminine on me

Kiton Black - huge letdown especially after reading all the praises, like Seinfeld - a smell about nothing.
    Ungaro Pour L'Homme III Oud - acrid ash and cinder with thermonuclear performance, like a chemical weapon.
    Ferragamo Uomo Signature - harsh ambroxan overdose that easily overwhelms all other positives.
    Givenchy Insense Ultramarine - not what I expected after original Insense. Not bad per se, just nothing even remotely like its gorgeous parent.
    Boss Elements Aqua - cloying fruit syrup very distantly removed from the original.

Blog Entries

It would be interesting if we shared experiences of great loss, disappointment and disaster with blind-buys. Many of us must have had this experience, at least once in our lives. I had many:

- Iquitos
    - Egoiste
    - Rive Gauche
    - Opium Pour Homme EDP
    - MKK
    - Heritage
    Heritage???? My friend, you are a very tough man to please!

Looking at your wardrobe, I am very surprised you would come and dump on this community’s favourite fragrances while also hoarding so many ahm, ordinary fragrances

I expect you are just wanting to stir the pot a bit, well done. You have a lot of Bolkonskies
    Follow me on Instagram @scentcurator
    Currently wearing: The Dreamer by Versace

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NickZee View Post
    Heritage???? My friend, you are a very tough man to please! Looking at your wardrobe, I am very surprised you would come and dump on this community’s favourite fragrances while also hoarding so many ahm, ordinary fragrances. I expect you are just wanting to stir the pot a bit, well done. You have a lot of Bolkonskies
    Please believe me, I am being utterly and completely candid about my tastes. You can check previous posts and see that I had already complained about some of these fragrances, in the sense that they do not please my nose. It has nothing to do with stirring pots or whatever. It is the truth.

I must add that my collection is very focused on the classics. But there were a few classics, as you could see, that I did not like. I sold all those bottles listed on my Original Post.

Don't think bad things of me. Be nice.
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Jovoy Psychedelique, can't stand it.
    LOL, and I'm just the opposite, I love Psychédélique. Maybe a 10/10 for me. My biggest disappointments have come from ALD, OE II and SM II.

I’m not old: I’m vintage.

"Greatest disappointments of my life" is a tad dramatic, but here are some blind buys that didn't work out for me:

Crown Imperial
    Dior Homme EdT (silver stem)
    Early American Old Spice
    Encre Noire
    Men's Classic
    Pour un Homme
    Quorum
    Sandstorm
    Spazio Krizia Uomo
    Sung Homme
    Yatagan
    Zino (vintage)

The most unwearable for me would probably be Spazio (lily) and Yatagan (celery seed). The biggest gulfs between the hype and my experience would be Dior Homme and Pour un Homme (too much vanilla). Out of hundreds of blind buys, this ain't too bad, especially as I should be able to recoup my losses on most of them and I didn't spend much on the others.
    Currently wearing: Devin by Aramis

Fortunately I haven't blindbought many bottles so far and nearly all of them were nice!

I remember two fragrances, which I really couldn't like:

CH Men Prive - I really couldn't get over that harsh cyanide smell. I don't find it "sexy" and I really don't get that "bad boy leatherjacket" vibe at all. The original CH Men does smell much much better to my nose, same for CH Men Grand Tour.

Lalique - Hommage a L'Homme Voyageur - super harsh and piercing "cyber" cardamom note in this which literally hurts my nose when smelling it close

All in all I must say that I mostly regret buying so many samples/decants of fragrances which sounded interesting and which I wanted to try, especially niche stuff. Most of it just didn't work for me.

I don't usually blind buy, only have done so twice and both were thankfully successes.

I did buy a fragrance tipsy once that was a bit of a disappointment when sober. But this is also how I found one of my all time favorites, so...

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    Jaguar For Men Green, not what I had hoped it to be just blah. Might try vintage in time, but current was extremely underwhelming.

If you compare vintage to the new, there are parts in common. So if you really dislike the new may not like the vintage. But if you thought the new was ok just not great, you might find the original is outstanding. It's a classic and wish I had more of it, got some as gifts that was reformulated (back when I didn't even know about that). It's in the powerhouse mode, lasts a long time and quite strong, if you like that. And it does get closer to leather than most things that are called leather.... car leather that is, as in connolly. Have seen the minis for not too much if you decide to check it out.
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Ones that didn't work for me:

Kenzo Jungle Homme
    Lalique Hommage a L'Homme Voyageur

Imaginary Authors Bulls Blood

Odori tobacco. Smelled like an ashtray.

The worst has to be Acqua di Parma Colonia Intensa. Had heard so much how ADP is the best and then found Intensa well below average. Fortunately somehow later got a mini of regular Colonia which is great, and have since bought and liked many others in the line. Out of all of them Intensa only downer.....Came that close to stopping and missing out on a lot by getting the wrong one first.

A couple more, Azzaro PH and D & G The one gentlemen. Expectations not so high on those, but still would have preferred not to have bought them after the fact....
    Currently wearing: Aqua pour Homme by Bulgari

Pasha de Cartier was by far the worst blind buy for me.

BUT because I had it, I was able to procure Pasha Parfum (in a swap), which I find glorious, so it ended up being a win.
    Currently wearing: Epic Man by Amouage

- Iquitos
    - Egoiste
    - Rive Gauche
    - Opium Pour Homme EDP
    - MKK
    - Heritage

What were the greatest blind-buy disappointments of your life?

disapp.JPG
    I'm not surprised to see Rive Gauche and MMK on there. I've not tried either, but the hype for both is too big for either to ever live up.

Biggest blind buy flop ever: Xerjoff Nio. Promised the world and got lemon dish detergent that gave me heartburn. More than Words, however...

Second place: Montale Fougeres Marines. Tommy plus heartburn.

Third place: Bentley Absolute. Too much incense - Papyrus Oud/71 is much better in this trio. (At least it was also the only one of the three without a three-digit price tag.)
    It's really quite pleasant, except for the smell (...)
    -"Mama", My Chemical Romance

Sound Scents

Worth pour Homme Haute Concentration... I had high hopes dashed. I am not sure if this was reformulated, but what I received smelled horrific.
    Success by Trump... One of the 3 worst smelling perfumes I have ever sniffed. This would be the worst blind buy ever, but I had low expectations to begin with.
    Geir by Geir Ness... At the time I bought it, it was all the rage... When I sniffed it, the only rage was from my bank account at the waste of money.
    Or Star by Pascal Morabito... I thought with the superb re-release of Or Black lightning would strike twice... It didn’t. This was so cheap even the bottle fell apart!
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Blog Entries

Jeeze, way too many to name. It might take some time but I could probably come up with a list of 100+ as much as it sucks, and money wasted, it adds to the excitement of blind buying, in this hobby. Sometimes I buy a frag I have smelled and know I will like, while others it's a total mystery.
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler
    Currently wearing: Viking by Creed

Fragrances that just do not last; 3 examples I had bad experience (no olfactory fatigue!) with multiple times:

- YSL La Nuit de L'Homme:
    not because of the smell but as of 2014 it just does NOT last! (owned once a 2014 and a 2016 bottle)

- Lalique White: Spray and gone it is.....but smells nice for 20 mins!

- Terre d'Hermes PP
    : No projection after 30 mins nor real lasting power after trying 2 different bottles but Rasasi 'Fattan' (or La Martina 'Bayres Hombre' if you will) has fortunately everything this fragrance lacks and lasts all day!

Furthermore bad reformulation I bought; like 2x Antaeus (2015 and 2018 bottles). Flat smelling and bad performing stuff and no comparison to the <2001 stuff which still has the castoreum, honeyed leather and beeswax drydown the current lacks imo.
    I really couldn't believe my nose when I smelled the older version I fortunately could purchase (blind).
    My Top '11':

- Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Antaeus (vtg)
    - Azzaro: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - Armani: AdG Profumo
    - Jacques Bogart: Furyo
    - Guerlain: Héritage (vtg)
    - Thierry Mugler: A*men
    - SA: Al Basel
    - D&G: Pour Homme (vtg)
    - YSL: Kouros (vtg)
    - VC&A: Pour Homme

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    None that I can recall throughout the years.
    Same as I've always made it a habit to sample before buying.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35