Code of Conduct
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Default Re: Thank God for Basenotes! A haven from the madness.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    With all the shows and channels available? I've been doing a lot of rewatching. Most recently Justified and Deadwood.
    Big Timothy Olyphant fan huh

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I’m still working I’m in retail hours are the same so far, a lot of people have gone on leave of absence I don’t blame them it’s scary out there right now. I take each day at a time and hope this passes soon, after work I’m in the house and either listening to music or watching a movie definitely a big change in my everyday life but it’s safer that way.
    Are your co-workers who took "leaves of absence" getting paid? or is that just, not working, not getting paid

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    I read or heard something about certain countries (Germany and/or Denmark, I think?) paying affected employers up to 90% of employee salaries to help prevent mass layoffs and keep employees on payroll. The idea is to "freeze business in place" in such a way that it can be booted back up ASAP when the coast is clear. It also acts as an alternative to direct $ for individuals, who remain on payroll. It seems a little simpler and more sustainable than continued rounds of stimulus checks, and also beneficial to employers.

If it gets economically dire enough here, I wonder if something like that would be on the table. I am skeptical that even the new April 30 target is realistic at this point.
    This is basically what we are doing here (USA).

Part of the stimulus package is an extra $600/week to coincide with unemployment benefits for the next 4 months. Since I am a restaurant server in Chicago, I've been out of work since March 16th. Unemployment + $600 puts me roughly around where I would be working full time. Roughly.

Also part of the stimulus: Small businesses can apply for loans to cover their payroll / pay employees for the next 8 weeks. When applying, the previous 8 weeks' of payroll will determine the loan amount. If all of that money is proven to be used for payroll, the loan does not have to be repaid.
    "Christian Dior / You wasted your life
    On aroma and clothes / Fabric and dyes." Christian Dior - Morrissey
    Currently wearing: Eau de Campagne by Sisley

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    Big Timothy Olyphant fan huh
    He's also great in Girl Next Door.
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."
    Currently wearing: Polo by Ralph Lauren

Basenotes Plus

If anything great comes out of this it's that people will have to self-reflect in isolation and re-invent themselves or come up with some new idea or new passion. Then when the gates are flung open anew the best of what people made of their time alone will unfold. I want to believe there is something momentous that will spring from this sad, fearful time. This could be viewed as some sort of great "reset" for many people.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    If anything great comes out of this it's that people will have to self-reflect in isolation and re-invent themselves or come up with some new idea or new passion. Then when the gates are flung open anew the best of what people made of their time alone will unfold. I want to believe there is something momentous that will spring from this sad, fearful time. This could be viewed as some sort of great "reset" for many people.
    That’s a great outlook.
    Currently wearing: Bracken Man by Amouage

I bought a static bicycle and 2 x 5 kg dumbells to exercise at home.

-----

The Spanish Influenza Pandemic: a lesson from history 100 years after 1918

-----

Exponential growth and epidemics

Currently wearing: Jaïpur Homme by Boucheron

My wife will be giving me my first at-home haircut this weekend. I bought a Wahl haircut kit because I don't know when the hair stylists will be allowed to open up again. It's a great time to try it out because with the restrictions in place, I won't be seeing very many people. I don't think my haircut is very complicated (short fade on sides, side part. Kinda like the Thor Ragnarok hair style without the "scars" cut in). We shall see. I hope it's good...I'd like to get my hair cut at home forever!

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    My wife will be giving me my first at-home haircut this weekend. I bought a Wahl haircut kit because I don't know when the hair stylists will be allowed to open up again. It's a great time to try it out because with the restrictions in place, I won't be seeing very many people. I don't think my haircut is very complicated (short fade on sides, side part. Kinda like the Thor Ragnarok hair style without the "scars" cut in). We shall see. I hope it's good...I'd like to get my hair cut at home forever!
    I think the scars cut in will be fun and will have time to grow back lol. Kidding. I use to wear my hair like that with tight fades on the sides and back. I have a professional Oyster clipper and I just buzzed my hair all over. Its all the same length now as I can't perform complicated styles myself, but I'll be saving money this way for fragrances whilst practicing social distancing lol.

Just FYI, there is a trial going for hydroxchloroquine and azithromycin. The azithromycin works in synergy with Hydroxychloroquine, which raises the cell's pH to prevent lysis, leading to viral fusion. There are no current guidelines, dosages, or treatment duration. Posting this in case any providers see this to let them know it is illegal to prescribe this for the treatment of COVID 19 at this time. I have seen a lot of mid-levels in my area trying to do this. geez.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

I predict 2020 will be the year of the "Corona Cut." Will electric razors become the new toilet paper? Anyway wishing everyone a happy Friday - even if you're stuck at home, it's still the weekend!
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Quote Originally Posted by jkonick View Post
    Will electric razors become the new toilet paper?
    Yes. In my town, they are going fast. Wal-Mart had 2 and I bought 1. Target was completely out. If my wife does a good job, maybe I'll post a pic. But I know you maniacs would rather see a disaster!

If BN was unavailable indefinitely, how would that affect you guys?

Quote Originally Posted by dysect View Post
    If BN was unavailable indefinitely, how would that affect you guys?
    I'd miss it, but right now it's pretty low on my requirements for daily life. The distinctions between needs (toilet paper) and wants (cologne) are being made crystal clear.

Dependent

Damn, first toilet paper, then alcohol, Lysol and thermometers, now razor blades, what's next?

I'd miss it, but right now it's pretty low on my requirements for daily life. The distinctions between needs (toilet paper) and wants (cologne) are being made crystal clear.
    Toilet paper is not a 'need'.
    No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyG View Post
    Toilet paper is not a 'need'.
    OK. YOUR opinion.

OK. YOUR opinion.
    It's not an opinion, it''s a fact. Toilet paper is a convenience, water is a need. God gave you two hands didn't he?
    No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality.

It's not an opinion, it''s a fact. Toilet paper is a convenience, water is a need. God gave you two hands didn't he?
    Lol. Either way, I think you knew what he meant? Jeebus, the b'noters and their semantics.

If what you're saying here is that we all need to switch over to bidets, then I am ALL IN
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Actually it's not illegal for doctor's to prescribe medicine for what's called off-label use, this is often done when doctors think something might work for various illnesses, and it can be done for this virus also. And every doctor that has tried this has had a super high cure rate. The typical recipe seems to be hydroxychloroquine (the drug version of quinine, which has been around for centuries) , z-pak (anti-biotic, because viruses hide inside bacteria, so you kill the bacteria to expose the virus to also then be killed) and zinc. This treatment is cheap, safe, and you get really fast results and almost everyone recovers. In fact, the effectiveness is so obvious that already now the FDA has even officially approved (it was unofficial before) this for use with this virus. So this is great news, and should turn this around fast.

I like to think this forum is the real world too. I do believe most of you are real folks, right? Or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by techt View Post
    Damn, first toilet paper, then alcohol, Lysol and thermometers, now razor blades, what's next?
    You forgot disposable gloves and face masks. What's next? Cash! With many banks closed people are emptying ATM's quickly and you'll start seeing more "Out of service" or "Withdrawal limited to $$."

Quote Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
    Actually it's not illegal for doctor's to prescribe medicine for what's called off-label use, this is often done when doctors think something might work for various illnesses, and it can be done for this virus also. And every doctor that has tried this has had a super high cure rate. The typical recipe seems to be hydroxychloroquine (the drug version of quinine, which has been around for centuries) , z-pak (anti-biotic, because viruses hide inside bacteria, so you kill the bacteria to expose the virus to also then be killed) and zinc. This treatment is cheap, safe, and you get really fast results and almost everyone recovers. In fact, the effectiveness is so obvious that already now the FDA has even officially approved (it was unofficial before) this for use with this virus. So this is great news, and should turn this around fast.
    Dr Fauci said hydroxychloroquine is promising but still unproven and more tests are needed.
    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/03/coro...kout-drug.html

So when you say "almost everyone recovers" what exactly do you mean when very few tests have been done?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny Mitchell View Post
    Lol. Either way, I think you knew what he meant? Jeebus, the b'noters and their semantics.
    Actually, I'm not and never will be a 'basenoter'. The very concept is cringe-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by richmilton View Post
    I like to think this forum is the real world too. I do believe most of you are real folks, right? Or am I missing something?
    You would think so. But some of the people here act like bots. Believe it or not, they aren't. But it would explain things better if they were.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Dunedain View Post
    …z-pak (anti-biotic, because viruses hide inside bacteria, so you kill the bacteria to expose the virus to also then be killed)…
    That's not what viruses generally do, and certainly not what the antibiotic is for. Viral pneumonia, and the treatments for it, compromise the body's immune system, opening the floodgates for opportunistic secondary infections. Bacteria essentially piggyback on the viral infection to create what's called a superinfection. Azithromycin is used as a prophylaxis against that kind of infection, which is otherwise all too likely to kill you if the viral infection doesn't.

There are bacteriophages, viruses that infect and replicate within bacteria. But, as far as I know, these viruses don't attack human cells in any direct way. Some of them can, however, help bacteria to avoid detection by releasing proteins that stimulate the body to release the wrong types of antibodies. That is, the body attacks the bacteria as if they were viruses, but the bacteria are immune to those attacks, much as the bacteria we target with z-packs are immune to antiviral drugs. In essence, it's the reverse of what you suggested: the bacteria hide behind viral proteins, even though the viruses live inside the bacteria.

Incidentally, the evidence for hydroxychloroquine is not especially good, so the FDA's emergency approval is a Hail Mary rather than an endorsement of efficacy. There are some sound reasons why it might work, described well here:

https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/chloro...ting-covid-19/

I certainly hope it does. But if it proves to be the "game changer" that only a small minority of scientists claim it will be, then we will be very, very lucky. At this point, we're much more certain of the side-effects than of the effects.

Before anyone rushes out to self-medicate with or without the aid of a prescribing physician, you might want to read these:

http://theconversation.com/a-small-t...navirus-135484

https://annals.org/aim/fullarticle/2...very-clinician

A doctor in France tried this, I think it was around 40 patients, if I recall, a couple weeks back and they all recovered, that was on the tv news. There's a doctor in New York that has treated I think around 700 patients now. It was 350 patients when he first reported the results, no deaths, no need for hospitalization out of the 350, and few hospitalizations out of the around 700 patients or so that he's treated in total now, and I think most of the patients were elderly. There was a doctor from I think New Jersey on tv a few days ago that was also reporting very good results with this. Just do a search, you'll find articles that directly quote the various doctors who have treated patients with this, some use various numbers of those ingredients. And of course there are other new drugs that are being worked on and tested also, but this one is cheap, well known and off-the-shelf, and can be made by any pharmaceutical company, so that's a big bonus. I found a video where they talk about this. I'm sure there are others. Oh, and Dr Fauci when asked if he as a doctor would prescribe hydroxychloroquine for a patient of his, he said he would. You can look up the quote if you like. With so many people now being treated with this (I think it's about 1100 in just New York), we'll have the answers very soon. Anyhow, in general the news on the medicine treatment front is good, and it will be nice when all this is over. =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPPkhmPOwi0

PStoller: Yes, there can be secondary infections also, and anti-biotics are good for that, too. But there are studies showing that viruses can be within bacteria also.

Basenotes Plus

I had it with my mom today. She came over and ranted about how the self-quarantine is useless and thinks everyone should just get infected and if you die you die. She then went off about how her retirement money is tanking because of the stocks and economy among other things. I asked her which was more important, her retirement money or people living. She chose her retirement money and said most of the people who are dying are on their way out or should't be kept alive either.

She's also pissed that stores are closed and said she's tired of going to Walmart and Target to 'just look' and said if her gym would open up she wouldn't be wandering out. She's a baby boomer generation.

I was in shock. I have an auto-immune disease and still recovering from surgery. I'm a high risk group. I mentioned that she may be asymptomatic and might be a carrier and bringing it to my house. She waved me off and told me I was paranoid and she was 'just fine' and 'felt fine'. She then quoted Dr. Oz and then told me about what a talking head on the news said.

Her whole attitude of 'good riddance' towards a whole slew of strangers potentially dying from this virus and the entire selfish nature of her view on this was a shock to me. It was like everyone was doing this to disrupt her happiness and her cash flow. I explained everyone is having to bunker down and even the UK government is telling people this time shouldn't be normal and if you are doing things 'as normal' then something is wrong. She yelled at me for failing to see her point of view and walked out.

Ironically she gets a set amount of retirement money and social security, so I don't understand why she's complaining so much.

Grrrrr.....
    Something something....something....

Avatar picture taken at Kew Gardens.

Actually, I'm not and never will be a 'basenoter'. The very concept is cringe-worthy.
    Haha.....yeah a basenoter would never talk exactly like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitty2Shoes View Post
    I had it with my mom today. She came over and ranted about how the self-quarantine is useless and thinks everyone should just get infected and if you die you die. She then went off about how her retirement money is tanking because of the stocks and economy among other things. I asked her which was more important, her retirement money or people living. She chose her retirement money and said most of the people who are dying are on their way out or should't be kept alive either.

She's also pissed that stores are closed and said she's tired of going to Walmart and Target to 'just look' and said if her gym would open up she wouldn't be wandering out. She's a baby boomer generation.

I was in shock. I have an auto-immune disease and still recovering from surgery. I'm a high risk group. I mentioned that she may be asymptomatic and might be a carrier and bringing it to my house. She waved me off and told me I was paranoid and she was 'just fine' and 'felt fine'. She then quoted Dr. Oz and then told me about what a talking head on the news said.

Her whole attitude of 'good riddance' towards a whole slew of strangers potentially dying from this virus and the entire selfish nature of her view on this was a shock to me. It was like everyone was doing this to disrupt her happiness and her cash flow. I explained everyone is having to bunker down and even the UK government is telling people this time shouldn't be normal and if you are doing things 'as normal' then something is wrong. She yelled at me for failing to see her point of view and walked out.

Ironically she gets a set amount of retirement money and social security, so I don't understand why she's complaining so much.

Grrrrr.....
    This looks like a scene from a Woody Allen film
    Things are comedy and tragedy at the same time.

I say this with respect for what you wrote.

Best,
    BruceB

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast