Code of Conduct

Default Troubleshooting a pre bar code bottle of Dior eau Sauvage

Hi all,

Been on quite a long hiatus, but I’m having an issue with a vintage bottle I bought and I thought I would turn to here for some help.
    It seems to be leaking underneath the sprayer head inside of the collar. The set up is close to the newer creed atomizer set up if that gives you an idea. The good news is that I turn the bottle upside down and shook it very gently for near 30 seconds and nothing seems to be coming out so that’s a positive. So I think the trouble lives in the atomizer or in the spray tube. I’m soaking the sprayer in water and I will try that. Also I should note, that I used it when I purchased it and it’s been sitting for a couple of months. Perhaps some fragrance has dried in the atomizer and the juice is squirting back down. The hole on the atomizer seems very tiny. Too small to even fit a needle down it.

Any thoughts as to how I should proceed or what I should do please do tell me as any input is greatly appreciated.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Troubleshooting a pre bar code bottle of Dior eau Sauvage

You could remove the spray nozzle and soak it in alcohol to see if that clears it up. Or, just replace it: they're pretty cheap.

I just cannibalized a nozzle from an unloved fragrance to fix a bum sprayer on a much better scent, and it worked like a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    You could remove the spray nozzle and soak it in alcohol to see if that clears it up. Or, just replace it: they're pretty cheap.

I just cannibalized a nozzle from an unloved fragrance to fix a bum sprayer on a much better scent, and it worked like a charm.
    It crossed my mind, but my concern is it being old would any similar atomizer fit on it? Are the sprayer tubes pretty much standard size?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbojr View Post
    It crossed my mind, but my concern is it being old would any similar atomizer fit on it? Are the sprayer tubes pretty much standard size?
    Just to be clear, I'm only talking about the nozzle, not the whole assembly. I figure, you try another one and it either fits or it doesn't. Pennies down the drain if it doesn't work. As far as I know, the mounts for the nozzles are all the same spec.

Of course, this presumes it's the nozzle alone that's at fault. If it's the underlying mechanism, you'll have to remove it to repair/replace it, which is less fun than a barrel of monkeys for a crimped sprayer. There are tutorial pages and videos around that I suspect will explain it better than I can, given that I've never had to do that myself. Definitely worth the hassle for vintage Eau Sauvage, though.

Yes, I understood that you just meant the atomizer top. I don’t have any alcohol handy but I’m soaking it in some water. It doesn’t appear that there’s anything obviously wrong with the atomizer tube as I turned it upside down earlier and shook it very gently and nothing seem to drip from the tube. Unless it’s a mechanical issue while it’s being operated. I had a similar issue with a bottle of Uomo by Valentino(was shooting out like a squirt gun) And it turned out to be a bum sprayer head.(it’s weird because it seemed fine and water would pass through it so maybe it was a manufacturing error) So I may give that a try if I can source one. Thanks for the input

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by jazzbojr View Post
    I don’t have any alcohol handy but I’m soaking it in some water.
    Water probably won't work as well. Alcohol is the solvent used to make most perfumes, so if any residue dries up inside the nozzle, it's alcohol that's going to dissolve it. Anyway, best of luck: bum sprayers are, well, a bummer!

Thanks!

Try soaking the nozzle in really hot water.

Quote Originally Posted by beleriand View Post
    Try soaking the nozzle in really hot water.
    I had tried soaking it while I started this thread and it worked. I used it once when I received it And it’s sat for just a couple of months but I didn’t think that would be long enough for the nozzle to dry up. The hole on the atomizer was ridiculously small almost invisible so perhaps that was why. I’m relieved though because I was worried my bottle was leaking.