Code of Conduct

Default Fragrance Similar to OLD Bvlgari Black?

I had a bottle of Bvlgari Black from about 15 years ago and I would like to find something similar to it. I hear that it has since been watered down. Does anyone have recommendations that is similar to the original?

Thank you in advance.
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Zefiro by Xerjoff

Default Re: Fragrance Similar to OLD Bvlgari Black?

Hello, I have heard that Prada Luna Rossa Black is similar, but I am not sure.

Beyond hunting down a vintage bottle, I'm not sure what to recommend.

I've read that Le Labo Patchouli is kinda similar. It was made by the same perfumer.
    Last edited by Brooks Otterlake; 22nd March 2020 at 12:28 PM.

Possibly also to certain extents, and not so much due to similar naming as much as a similar theme, maybe Black XS and/or Cerruti 1881 Black.

However bearing in mind the fairly significant disclaimer if liking slightly gourmand, sweet and/or sweeter spicy notes on both, mainly berries-like fruity in the first, marzipan and even some remote almond in the latter.

Hello MassivelyTouched
    I suggest "Té Nero" (Black Tea) by Speziali Fiorentini, an italian house. It is a very affordable dupe of the original Black.

Thank you for the responses so far. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.

I have a sample of Le Labo Patchouli 24. I am not ready to buy it yet as I seem to have days where I love and others where I want to wash it off...not sure why I have a such a bipolar reaction to it. I think Patchouli 24 has a lot more powerful smoke than my recollection of Bvlgari Black which has more of a smokey rubber smell.

Black Tea by Speziali Fiorentini does not seem readily available in the USA.

Cerruti 1881 Black is $20...could be worth a shot.

The review of the Prada LR Black I saw said that it is lighter than the current version of Bvlgari Black. Not sure if that is true.
    Currently wearing: XJ 1861 Zefiro by Xerjoff

I love Le labo patch, but agree with you that it is smokier than Bulgari Black. bulgari black had rubber but smoothed out by ambers and other oriental touches, the Le Labo is more direct. As usual, the smell from afar is not as harsh as when you put your nose next to it, so what people perceive from a distance is smoother.

cacio

I don't think there's anything like the original Bvlgari Black on the market right now! The original was a masterpiece--I feel like the rubber and smoky tea were more prominent. I don't know how to describe the remaining bottles (reformulation) except maybe watered down.

I love Le Labo but Patchouli 24 is significantly different. You're getting a smoky leather jacket and birch tar with vanilla. I don't feel like there's any rubber here.
    (^‿^)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by MassivelyTouched View Post

Cerruti 1881 Black is $20...could be worth a shot.
    Yes, give this a shot and see what you think.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm the one that always suggests Dzing! as an alternative to vintage Bvlgari Black and then gets shouted down that they smell nothing alike. What can I do but repeat myself. Try Dzing! --they may not smell the same but I think lovers of the original Black also love that one.

Gomma by Etro smells like it or it used to anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Gomma by Etro smells like it or it used to anyway
    Yes this and possibly Hommage a l'Homme Voyageur. HALHV gave me similar vibes - that thick density - though it ultimatley goes in a different direction - none of that black tea lightness that is present in Black- but I do get that rubbery vibe from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ifti View Post
    Yes this and possibly Hommage a l'Homme Voyageur. HALHV gave me similar vibes - that thick density - though it ultimatley goes in a different direction - none of that black tea lightness that is present in Black- but I do get that rubbery vibe from it.
    I just don't see it.

Voyageur has no vanilla! It's green and spicy and damp. Worlds apart from Bvlgari Black's smoky-vanilla-tea thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I just don't see it.

Voyageur has no vanilla! It's green and spicy and damp. Worlds apart from Bvlgari Black's smoky-vanilla-tea thing.
    Agree its not the same smell or setup of notes - yet as per some of the suggestions below - I felt it has the "vibe" - rubbery, dense, slightly smoky... same with Gomma.
    Odd I coulda sworn I get a vanilla-patch combo from Voyaguer?
    Alas - one frag - many interpretations - all equally valid

Prada Luna Rossa Extreme and somehow 212 Sexy Men.
    "True change is within; leave the outside as it is."
    Dalai Lama

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by MassivelyTouched View Post
    I had a bottle of Bvlgari Black from about 15 years ago and I would like to find something similar to it. I hear that it has since been watered down. Does anyone have recommendations that is similar to the original?

Thank you in advance.
    You say you "hear it's been watered down." Does this mean you haven't tried the latest one ? If so, you may want to give it a try - it might still be acceptable. Like all reformulations, it has the interesting, challenging bits smoothed out. I have both vintage and a bottle from about 3 years ago. The later bottle is not really that bad.

Notwithstanding that, I guess it depends on what you mean by "similar". Some people are happy with just getting a general vibe, and others want a replica. Personally, I have encountered nothing like Bulgari Black. If you have your heart set on this, I'd suggest to not waste your time and just try to track down a vintage bottle. The vintage has the "twist" sprayer incorporated into the non-removable cap, and the writing on the bottom of the bottle is in a circular pattern. The new bottle has a standard sprayer and the writing on the bottom of the bottle is in straight lines.

Let us know how you go. Good luck.