Code of Conduct

Default Creed leaked oil

Hello all,

I hope all has been well! I recently went into my collection to rotate my cooler weather scents into warmer weather and noticed my Creed milesime imperial had oil leaked onto the box and nozzle. It wasnít just a wet-like fluid, but rather an oily thick substance. What does this mean and do you think this may have caused some adverse effects?
    I sprayed the fragrance around 8 times and it came out normal and still smells good, but Iím curious as to why this occurred? Did some of the oil from the composition separate from the alcohol and other contents? Or could it have been just a minor leak?
    Any input would be appreciated! Thanks everyone!

-Joe

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Creed leaked oil

That seems very odd to me. How did you have it stored?

Dependent

I have a bottle of Bleu de Chanel Parfum with the same issue, but I did drop mine.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bķzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by jcastano View Post
    it came out normal and still smells good
    At least that's good news.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Sometimes if the seal is not tight some perfume can seep out of the top and when the alcohol evaporates a sticky residue of the perfume oils can remain stuck to the nozzle or bottle. That residue can still smell good but if it is exposed to the air for a long period it can turn rancid. If that is determined to be the cause in this case, just wipe the residue off before spraying and cover the top with some plastic wrap or similar material to keep it airtight or transfer the perfume into a more securely closing bottle.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Idylle by Guerlain

I keep in a cool dark closet inside it’s box

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    At least that's good news.
    Yes, I’m hoping that’s the end of it. I really hope it’s not leaking for something to that extent.

Quote Originally Posted by FiveoaksBouquet View Post
    Sometimes if the seal is not tight some perfume can seep out of the top and when the alcohol evaporates a sticky residue of the perfume oils can remain stuck to the nozzle or bottle. That residue can still smell good but if it is exposed to the air for a long period it can turn rancid. If that is determined to be the cause in this case, just wipe the residue off before spraying and cover the top with some plastic wrap or similar material to keep it airtight or transfer the perfume into a more securely closing bottle.
    Thank you! So do you think there’s a leak?

Quote Originally Posted by jcastano View Post
    Thank you! So do you think thereís a leak?
    Most welcome. I hope it's useful information. Of course I haven't seen it. I'm only going by your description. But if the seal around the neck of the bottle is not airtight, the perfume could be slowly seeping out.
    ​"It was foolish of her not to have bought a larger bottle."

Dorothy Eden, The Time of the Dragon
    Currently wearing: Idylle by Guerlain

Was the bottle standing upright the entire time or was it on its side? If its on its side it could be a loose seal somewhere. If the bottle was standing upright and still emitting fragrance I would say that is odd but it does happen. I have a bottle of Caron that does the same. When I remove the cap it is evident that over time the perfume is slowly oozing out of the nozzle and then as it sits there the alcohol evaporates leaving behind the perfume oil.

I've owned some bottles that leak. I'd decant it into another bottle or else your perfume will slowly evaporate. Sorry.