Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default I think I am done with Aventus

Been on this journey since 2010 and what was the best cologne of all time is barely a shell of its former self. In December I got batch A4219S21 from the Creed boutique in NYC and it smelled a bit different then what I am used to. I figured Id age it and today I used it again. Except I am not even detecting pineapple but seems more vanillaish and super light where its barely detectable. The sad part is I know its real because I got it directly from Creed. Damn shame they butchered the best fragrance of all time.

8957DBEB-B912-45B6-BC29-2223892803A4.jpg

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: I think I am done with Aventus

Still a fan
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Still a fan
    The scent is barely on me now, an hour later. And smells like vanilla. Eww

Classics for the win.

A lot of variations each year, it can be annoying some are darker some are fruitier. It’s definitely changed since it’s original release, 19S21 is still a new batch in terms of age. Once a decent amount of air gets in the bottle it’s will change over time, not always to your liking and if batch hunting isn’t your thing it can be even more annoying. The Aventus sub forum is a great place to read which batches are darker and perform well, shouldn’t be a issue but unfortunately it is with Aventus. There are some decent 17’s 18’s and 19’s forum goes over all this don’t loss hope in Aventus flip your bottle and try another batch.
    Current Top 5

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    A lot of variations each year, it can be annoying some are darker some are fruitier. It’s definitely changed since it’s original release, 19S21 is still a new batch in terms of age. Once a decent amount of air gets in the bottle it’s will change over time, not always to your liking and if batch hunting isn’t your thing it can be even more annoying. The Aventus sub forum is a great place to read which batches are darker and perform well, shouldn’t be a issue but unfortunately it is with Aventus. There are some decent 17’s 18’s and 19’s forum goes over all this don’t loss hope in Aventus flip your bottle and try another batch.
    Don't spread that misinformation, air does absolutely nothing for a fragrance performance except hurt it. The bottle is already aged and the molecules are at maximum potency after the initial maceration that Creed allows after 4-6 months. Most Creed fragrances in general don't perform or project that strongly, it's the main reason they smell so good, because they are soft and well blended.

Classics for the win.

I’ve used Aventus enough over the years to know that using the bottle and as the bottle opens up from use the fragrance improves. Regardless of opinions it does happen and many other members will agree, your entitled to an opinion experiences vary and the fact the fragrance does change with time and use exists.
    Current Top 5

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme

Quote Originally Posted by chyprefresh View Post
    Don't spread that misinformation, air does absolutely nothing for a fragrance performance except hurt it. The bottle is already aged and the molecules are at maximum potency after the initial maceration that Creed allows after 4-6 months. Most Creed fragrances in general don't perform or project that strongly, it's the main reason they smell so good, because they are soft and well blended.
    Aventus circa 2011-2013 used to perform like a beast. It would leave insane scent trails and had people constantly stop me to tell me I smell heavenly. Now adays I get that from Layton and Baccarat

Basenotes Junkie

I feel ya - I'm done with it, too, after my considerable stock of 2010-2015 runs out. Aventus today isn't anywhere near what it even was in 2015, which was after the loss of the smokiness, but I still love love love the woody pineapple goodness of my 15X01.

That's never coming back, and so neither will my wallet come back to buy Aventus once I'm out.

It's been a fun ride, but I got off the Aventus batch merry-go-round a couple of years ago, and I'm happy I did. I bought my batches of what I like back when they were $$, but not $$$$$$$$$, and I think I'm done purchasing bottles of Aventus.

If you do move on from Aventus, just put the experience note in your memory collection. After all fragrance is human craft like anything else. As a youth I felt the world ended when Calvin by Calvin ran it's course.
    In silence, with body and mind still, a depth of understanding may be achieved that is not available to one who languishes at the mercy of life’s relentless chatter.
    Currently wearing: Colognisé by Nishane

Quote Originally Posted by mustardsalad View Post
    I feel ya - I'm done with it, too, after my considerable stock of 2010-2015 runs out. Aventus today isn't anywhere near what it even was in 2015, which was after the loss of the smokiness, but I still love love love the woody pineapple goodness of my 15X01.

That's never coming back, and so neither will my wallet come back to buy Aventus once I'm out.

It's been a fun ride, but I got off the Aventus batch merry-go-round a couple of years ago, and I'm happy I did. I bought my batches of what I like back when they were $$, but not $$$$$$$$$, and I think I'm done purchasing bottles of Aventus.
    Agreed. After the 4oz got discontinued the decline was even more rapid. So sad and unfortunate.

I have a feeling one day Creed will come out with vaulted flacons of the birth smoky vintage Aventus for insane amounts of money

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by mustardsalad View Post

Not trying to be mean but please stop flexing, it's gotten tired.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigtyivier2k2 View Post
    Aventus circa 2011-2013 used to perform like a beast. It would leave insane scent trails and had people constantly stop me to tell me I smell heavenly. Now adays I get that from Layton and Baccarat
    The entire fragrance industry was stronger back in 2010-2013, think about how many 'vintage' perfumes that are sought after from that era and prior. So many powerful and effective ingredients have been banned by the IFRA since then.

Why does the IFRA ban so much stuff ?

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by speckmann0706 View Post
    I’ve used Aventus enough over the years to know that using the bottle and as the bottle opens up from use the fragrance improves. Regardless of opinions it does happen and many other members will agree, your entitled to an opinion experiences vary and the fact the fragrance does change with time and use exists.
    Aventus is a fragrance like any other and oxygen is the number one thing that causes decrease in performance and degradation, Aventus is not some outlier that bends the laws in its favor. Unless you can prove your claims scientifically, I'll stick to what is known. Besides, the head space in the bottle already has enough oxygen to do what you claim.

- - - Updated - - -

Why does the IFRA ban so much stuff ?
    Allergic reactions and sensitization, skin issues and pain/inflammation.
    While it only affects a few people that's enough for the IFRA to make the changes.

Basenotes Junkie

I have a 2010 and a 2013 bottle and they’re not amazing performers. I think they smell better than modern Aventus, but the performance is similar IMO. Maybe they’ve just aged out some and performance is weaker than it would have been when those bottles were new, not sure. Both still have exceptional top notes, so the fragrance isn’t “off”, I dunno maybe it’s just the anosmia...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigserver1 View Post
    I have a 2010 and a 2013 bottle and they’re not amazing performers. I think they smell better than modern Aventus, but the performance is similar IMO. Maybe they’ve just aged out some and performance is weaker than it would have been when those bottles were new, not sure. Both still have exceptional top notes, so the fragrance isn’t “off”, I dunno maybe it’s just the anosmia...
    2010 and 2011 Aventus I bought new at that time was extremely strong. Finding 2010 or 2011 Aventus today that is not seriously degraded is nearly impossible.

I wondered why there was another poster 'shilling' for Aventus in another thread called. 'Wrong, so very Wrong'

Creed monitor this forum you know?

Banned

Mine is extremely smoky and has a lot of fresh, authentic fruit on the top. The specific pineapple note is less discernible than I wished for, but it is there.
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

So far, had luckily good experiences with the formulation owned, though it might have been just the incidental, largely inexplicable luck to have simply found one of the better ones

The lack of transparency with Creed on their reformulations and batch issues along with the price increases and bottle size decreases have left a terrible taste in my mouth. To me, 'Creed' is synonymous with 'Greed'. I'm done with this brand.

I would rather support the artisan brands working with naturals and operating outside of IFRA. These companies are producing superior products at fair prices; they need your business and they deserve your business. Creed can go f-off.
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    I would rather support the artisan brands working with naturals and operating outside of IFRA. These companies are producing superior products at fair prices; they need your business and they deserve your business. Creed can go f-off.
    Nailed it

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    Mine is extremely smoky and has a lot of fresh, authentic fruit on the top. The specific pineapple note is less discernible than I wished for, but it is there.
    What year?

Quote Originally Posted by FragSyndrome View Post
    Who are these said artisan brands operating outside of the IFRA.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by eriqesque View Post
    Slumberhouse, for one: http://www.slumberhouse.com/faq bottom question

I think Aventus is played out. Even 22 year old fragrance newbies are spending their paychecks on Aventus, because they have seen the worship it gets on sites like this and Facebook fragrance groups and they want to try to impress even though 2 years ago they were using Axe body spray. Aventus is just too common now to the point that even those who can't afford it - are buying dupes of it.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I think Aventus is played out. Even 22 year old fragrance newbies are spending their paychecks on Aventus, because they have seen the worship it gets on sites like this and Facebook fragrance groups and they want to try to impress even though 2 years ago they were using Axe body spray. Aventus is just too common now to the point that even those who can't afford it - are buying dupes of it.
    Eh, the fragrance community is small, anything popular in the fragrance community pales in comparison to most popular things. While Aventus is well-known in our community and a few outsiders might recognize or appreciate it, it's such a tiny blip on the radar, like a pixel on a television screen, I would not let it bother you. Now with Black Rock inc parhaps ramping up production and making the brand name more recognizable. Yeah I could see it getting there, but we are not there yet, and even then, I don't think anybody wants to change much about Creed's niche outlook and style, it's a major part of their selling point. No point in fussing about random 20 somethings buying a fragrance to be cool because somebody with 300 views on YouTube ranked it #1 on their top 10 list.. If there's anything I'm upset about I am upset about the fragrance industry regulators (IFRA) going bat poop crazy and banning ingredients left and right, which has hurt one of the best fragrances (vintage Aventus) and many others. The real damage is being done behind closed doors, people who hate things that smell good and only care about maximizing profits and avoiding any complaints, (no matter how remote) as possible.

Quote Originally Posted by eriqesque View Post
    Ensar Oud
    Areej Le Dore
    Bortnikoff
    Dixit and Zak
    Slumberhouse
    House of Matriarch
    Di Ser
    MelegPerfumes
    Rising Phoenix
    Mellifluence
    ..... There's more of course.

Absolutely check out the first 6 on that list. If you haven't tried Ensar Oud or Areej Le Dore then you are REALLY missing out. Once you experience this level of perfumery, you will never go back to the department store synthetic swill.
    Currently wearing: Musk Khabib by Bortnikoff

Banned

What year?
    It is batch # 19S01 .

Is it a good batch? Bad batch? Normal batch?
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Classics for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    It is batch # 19S01 .

Is it a good batch? Bad batch? Normal batch?
    On the Aventus forum it’s a solid batch, oddly there is a lot of variation with batches even ones closely released to each other. Notes and base vary performance etc, I don’t agree it should be the case but it exists the whole Aventus subforum is loaded with it.
    Current Top 5

Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme
    Ralph Lauren Polo
    Guerlain Heritage EDT
    Chanel Egoiste
    Chanel Allure Homme

@FragSyndrome. Awesome thanks.
    Currently wearing: Bois du Portugal by Creed

Quote Originally Posted by chyprefresh View Post
    Eh, the fragrance community is small, anything popular in the fragrance community pales in comparison to most popular things. While Aventus is well-known in our community and a few outsiders might recognize or appreciate it, it's such a tiny blip on the radar, like a pixel on a television screen, I would not let it bother you. Now with Black Rock inc parhaps ramping up production and making the brand name more recognizable. Yeah I could see it getting there, but we are not there yet, and even then, I don't think anybody wants to change much about Creed's niche outlook and style, it's a major part of their selling point. No point in fussing about random 20 somethings buying a fragrance to be cool because somebody with 300 views on YouTube ranked it #1 on their top 10 list.. If there's anything I'm upset about I am upset about the fragrance industry regulators (IFRA) going bat poop crazy and banning ingredients left and right, which has hurt one of the best fragrances (vintage Aventus) and many others. The real damage is being done behind closed doors, people who hate things that smell good and only care about maximizing profits and avoiding any complaints, (no matter how remote) as possible.
    I disagree. There are many examples of fragrances that got played out because everyone was wearing it. You are correct about fragrance vs. most popular things, however most people don't wear fragrance in general - so if you are a man that really likes to wear fragrance everyday, chances are you have heard of Aventus given it's history.