Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: On the hunt for a new fougere

Quote Originally Posted by hellbentforleather View Post
    Definitely herbal, dry, and green with lavender. I think Beau de Jour remains my best bet.
    I only briefly sniffed the PB, but the Signature release of Beau de Jour gets pretty warm and sweet and vanillic on the backend, so it moves away from that "dry, herbal" feel.

If you want something that really feels dry and herbal and classic, grab a decent vintage bottle of Azzaro pour Homme.

Definitely herbal, dry, and green with lavender. I think Beau de Jour remains my best bet. Platinum Egoiste was a bit weird in the mids for me. I loved the opening of Invasion Barbare but the mid and base were lackluster to me.
    Basile Uomo checks every box... Dry,green, slightly herbal with a dash of lavender to open things up.

Great juice and quite versatile.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Basile-Uomo...8AAOSwWEdeCVDs
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    I only briefly sniffed the PB, but the Signature release of Beau de Jour gets pretty warm and sweet and vanillic on the backend, so it moves away from that "dry, herbal" feel.

If you want something that really feels dry and herbal and classic, grab a decent vintage bottle of Azzaro pour Homme.
    Ack! I hear so many conflicting things between the Signature and Private Blend haha. I just watched a review by Max Forti who said the PB is sweeter while the Signature is on the drier side. And the thread on the release of the Signature series is all over the place!

Yeah, vintage Azzaro is definitely on my radar!

I didn't take it personally, so no worries. (And I'm gonna go spray on some Pasha now. I love that stuff.)

But I do think it's odd to accuse the originator of the genre (reimagined though it may be, and not for the worse from what I've heard from folks who have had the chance to know the original) as not being fougere-y enough! It has the dark, cool, green vibe I associate with the intent of a fougere: to smell like a fern.

As much as I love Pasha, it feels a bit far from that original brief; it's warm and fruity, though the fougere heritage is definitely detectable.
    The 2010 re-release of Fougere Royale isn’t fougery enough for me. I wouldn’t be taken in by the name on the bottle but its green and cool so you like if for what it is. They could have called Noix de Muscade Verte and no one would have batted an eyelid. Its hard to see a fougere without oakmoss too. A few things were different when I was at school - Dogs had testicles and fougeres had oakmoss and its weird to see both without either.

I’m glad you are able to enjoy it as a fougere though.

hellbentforleather its a very good fragrance so don’t let my words put you off trying it. Plenty of good suggestions listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Sheik Yerbouti View Post
    The 2010 re-release of Fougere Royale isn’t fougery enough for me. I wouldn’t be taken in by the name on the bottle but its green and cool so you like if for what it is. They could have called Noix de Muscade Verte and no one would have batted an eyelid. Its hard to see a fougere without oakmoss too.
    I'll be honest, I don't get much nutmeg (it's not listed in the notes, either), though there's definitely a spicy opening!

I do, however, get lavender, chamomile, clary sage, geranium, carnation, rosemary, a little cinnamon, some tonka, and, yes, oakmoss (or "oakmoss," if you will). So mostly standard fougere stuff with modern ingredients.

I'll be honest, I don't get any nutmeg (it's not listed in the notes, either)!

I do, however, get a lavender, chamomile, clary sage, geranium, carnation, rosemary, a little cinnamon, some tonka, and, yes, oakmoss (or "oakmoss," if you will).

Feels like a richer, deeper Brut to me.
    Not all notes are listed in fragrances. I get vetiver in Spice and Wood although thats not listed and no oud in Royal Oud though it is so I’ve learnt to take the official note listings with a pinch of marketing salt. Brut takes some beating.

Ack! I hear so many conflicting things between the Signature and Private Blend haha. I just watched a review by Max Forti who said the PB is sweeter while the Signature is on the drier side. And the thread on the release of the Signature series is all over the place!

Yeah, vintage Azzaro is definitely on my radar!
    Your brain can heal your body by taking sugar pills if you believe the pills are medicine. You can extrapolate that to make a reasonable statement that your brain can tell you a perfume smells different than another perfume if you want it to. I would take anyone and everyone who compares perfumes side by side with a grain of salt. Could be they're right on the money. Could not.

All Is Beautiful

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Even the current version ? I got a sample 5 years ago or so and thought it was not so special. Not even that good. But I may have to give that sample another try perhaps.
    I have two vintage bottles. I would suggest that
    FYI: I spray all fragrances on clothing, never on skin.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Your brain can heal your body by taking sugar pills if you believe the pills are medicine. You can extrapolate that to make a reasonable statement that your brain can tell you a perfume smells different than another perfume if you want it to. I would take anyone and everyone who compares perfumes side by side with a grain of salt. Could be they're right on the money. Could not.
    I mean we all know placebo is a helluva drug. However, it's reasonable to evaluate various claims and statements to seek some semblance of a conclusion. The risk is always making some sort of deductive fallacy based on desire. For me, the inability to find a definitive conclusion between the Signature and the PB after reading dozens of comments suggests the differences are more than likely minuscule.

I mean we all know placebo is a helluva drug. However, it's reasonable to evaluate various claims and statements to seek some semblance of a conclusion. The risk is always making some sort of deductive fallacy based on desire. For me, the inability to find a definitive conclusion between the Signature and the PB after reading dozens of comments suggests the differences are more than likely minuscule.
    I only have anecdotal evidence. I've tried to latest version of Chanel's Antaeus. I also was fortunate enough that a generous member sent me two different versions of 80's Antaeus to sample. While there are differences the things people say about this fragrance would paint an image of an ocean between them, when in reality it's a pond. That's a fragrance that was dependent on oakmoss and it's now 40 years later. So, when it comes to a fragrance that didn't depend on oakmoss on the only change is moving from one line to another, it's going to be a real hard sell to convince me there's much change if any. I've smelled both an I can tell you there's not. Again it's anecdotal, but people want to believe there's a change so they don't feel like rubes buying a 50ml for near $300 when now you could get 100 ml for half that. Besides Tom Ford introduced three different fougere type fragrances in order to decide which one would be added to the signature based on how the market reacted. I mean it was a great move you got to have people lab rat your newest fragrance, and they paid HIM for it. So why in the world would the company change the blend? Just isn't rational.

Amouage Bracken Man, MDCI Le Barbier de Tangiers, Invasion Barbare. All are fantastic and you really cannot go wrong. But as you already seem to recognize, Beau du Jour by Tom Ford is better than the others and my favorite fougere of all time. You will not regret that purchase, I guarantee it.

Quote Originally Posted by kirkf View Post
    Amouage Bracken Man, MDCI Le Barbier de Tangiers, Invasion Barbare. All are fantastic and you really cannot go wrong. But as you already seem to recognize, Beau du Jour by Tom Ford is better than the others and my favorite fougere of all time. You will not regret that purchase, I guarantee it.
    Nice. Do you have the Private Blend or the Signature bottle?

Special for Gentlemen by Le Galion

Basenotes Plus

These are some great options that are not discontinued or hard to find.

Amouage - Bracken Man
    Nicolai - New York
    MIlano Cento - For Him
    Tom Ford - Beau de Jour
    Tom Ford - Fougere d'Argent
    Rogue Perfumery - Fougere L'aube
    Nobile 1942 - Fougere Nobile
    Scent is an exercise in patience and imagination.

Bracken man
    Patrick

1725 from HdP is a friendly Invasion Barbare - nice stuff.

Morabito's Or Black is a great 'dry' fougere.

Amouage Opus II is a personal fave - spiced fougere.

Other good suggestions above, I have to ++ Caron Pour Un Homme, Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur and Patrick
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Gravitas Pour Homme
    Amouage Bracken Man/Beach Hut Man
    Invasion Barbare
    Currently wearing: Sayat Nova by Bortnikoff

"AntonPan mentioned Eau de Minthe, I like it as well."
    Had never heard of this one. It's pretty recent.
    Reviews are startlingly divergent. It's rare to find uniformity in fragrance reviews, but opinions on this one are particularly different.

Quote Originally Posted by vitaman View Post
    "AntonPan mentioned Eau de Minthe, I like it as well."
    Had never heard of this one. It's pretty recent.
    Reviews are startlingly divergent. It's rare to find uniformity in fragrance reviews, but opinions on this one are particularly different.
    You need to try it. It is love or hate fragrance. And I'm in the love category.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Quote Originally Posted by oudaddict View Post
    Gravitas Pour Homme
    Amouage Bracken Man/Beach Hut Man
    Invasion Barbare
    I'm in love with the opening of Invasion Barbare. It's the dry down that's somewhat disappointing to me.

Since the house of Houbigant was mentioned, also adding, apart from the very good suggestions already mentioned, also Duc de Vervins and/or its flankers Duc de Vervins L'Extreme, for a mossy, smoky, resinous, nearly tobacco-dark and/or lavender like, quite herbal/green yet also niche tier quality classic fougere

I finally purchased the Signature version of Beau de Jour after sniffing the sample of the PB one for a few weeks. I was worried based on so many contradictory reviews but, to my nose, it's an absolute gem. In fact, I prefer it just a tad bit over the PB version owing to a bit more freshness, at least, at the moment. I'm now keen on at least acquiring a sample of Rogue's Fougere L'Aube based on the feedback here. Thanks to everyone for the info. Stay safe and be well.

So a month later, I ended up with Beau de Jour and a vintage bottle of Azzaro Pour Homme (late 70s-early 80s). The latter I just received today. BdJ is an instant love. I've spoken about it quite a bit on other threads. Azzaro, on the other hand, literally has chest hair growing out of it (well, not literally, but you catch my drift). The anise and oakmoss are at full throttle. Initial reaction notwithstanding, I suspect it might grow on me. I don't have anything like it in my wardrobe. It's not a date scent, it's not quite a work scent either. It's smells like a man on the prowl but not in a restraining order kind of way. More like "I don't need to approach you because you will approach me" in the parlance of desire and flirtation. Definitely not going to ever wear this on a date though. Oddly enough, it kind of reminds me a little of Oud Wood Intense. They both have this affable vulgarity to them haha.

EDIT: words
    "No one wants advice - only corroboration." - John Steinbeck

Beau de Jour
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him
    1725 HdP
    New York Intense (to me it's the final step of classic fougeres evolution almost invading other genres so carefully and brilliantly)
    Currently wearing: Montecristo by Masque