Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Angry The insanity of Norma Kamali incense

As a lover of incense, I had an alert set up for e bay to notify me if NK came up for sale a couple years ago. For only the second time, It came up It was a decant with maybe 7-8 ml in the bottle. The seller had stellar feedback so I put a bid in with a Max of $200. With 15 minutes left, the bid was $162 so I thought I had a decent chance. Fast forward to 5 minutes after the auction, and not only did I los, I got trounced. The winning bid was $302. That is absolutely ludicrous. I guess I'm never going to get a chance to try this. Not at those prices. I don't post to often but thanks for listening, I had to vent. Anyway, stay safe and have a good day everybody.
    John aka Easykiller

Always be smelling

Default Re: The insanity of Norma Kamali incense

Quote Originally Posted by easykiller View Post
    As a lover of incense, I had an alert set up for e bay to notify me if NK came up for sale a couple years ago. For only the second time, It came up It was a decant with maybe 7-8 ml in the bottle. The seller had stellar feedback so I put a bid in with a Max of $200. With 15 minutes left, the bid was $162 so I thought I had a decent chance. Fast forward to 5 minutes after the auction, and not only did I los, I got trounced. The winning bid was $302. That is absolutely ludicrous. I guess I'm never going to get a chance to try this. Not at those prices. I don't post to often but thanks for listening, I had to vent. Anyway, stay safe and have a good day everybody.
    I got a chance to try it. Cytherian got it for one of the meetups. IMO it is not worthy of the hype it gets.
    You are not missing much.
    Beauty needs no morality or righteousness.
    It, like nature, does not give a shit
    Currently wearing: Paradigm by Avon

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bzios Brasil

You gave it your best shot. There will be other opportunities going forward.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Missing Oakmoss

I agree that it is outrageously pricey, especially since it's not that old, in vintage terms...it's virtually impossible to find, bit still. You might get lucky one of these days, easykiller, so keep getting those notifications! Now and then, tiny amounts (around 3ml) sell for reasonable prices.

Norma Kamali Incense strikes me as one of the most absurd hyped fragrances that exist. It's the perfect combination of niche enough, exotic enough, and vintage enough to get to these insane prices. That's also why I don't bid on anyone on eBay apart from the very occasional times. It's not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by epapsiou View Post
    I got a chance to try it. Cytherian got it for one of the meetups. IMO it is not worthy of the hype it gets.
    You are not missing much.
    Exactly!

Norma Kamali Incense is mostly diluted Hydrocarboresine - a natural labdanum extract that's obtainable at a very affordable price.

Dependent

I didn’t find it that impressive. Not really sure why it’s achieved such a unicorn status and goes for such insane prices

Basenotes Plus

Yeah, OP dodged a bullet in that auction... At those insane prices, Id rather get some Sultan Pasha attars.
    Currently wearing: Sir Winston by Bortnikoff

I had a sample given to me some years back it was actually thrown in as an extra in a swap. I was OH! As it was mentioned like the holy grail on forums. What I remember of it, very intense but nothing spectacular it wasn't OMG this is unbelievable!
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Woman In Gold by By Kilian

It's just a typical incense you'll find in old world churches, nothing more nothing less

Basenotes Plus

Isn't there a Sultan Pasha attar that would scratch your itch almost to a tee? I can't remember the name of it, though.

Off to look...

Missing Oakmoss

I've smelled the Kamali and always wanted to own some because it's a reference incense, very dry and unusual for its day. But there are currently many incense perfumes that are equally good, and perhaps better (as others have said here). I still think it would be worth buying a small amount, if it could be had without breaking the bank. I'd love to know which Sultan Pasha is referenced above!

Basenotes Plus

Found it. Pure Incense. Supposedly. Have not put my nose on it.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26148694.html

Sultan Pasha Incense is almost exactly like the NK!

I have both, and can’t detect any differences. And of course SP offerings are really good!

Missing Oakmoss

Great to know about the Sultan Pasha being so close to Kamali!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    a 1ml SP Incense attar vile can be had for around $65 I think....and that one ml should last a good long while!

Just be aware that exactly how all supposedly similar perfumes never end up actually being similar neither will this one.

Missing Oakmoss

Quote Originally Posted by Cheetah1919 View Post
    a 1ml SP Incense attar vile can be had for around $65 I think....and that one ml should last a good long while!
    It's very reasonable - 1ml will last me quite awhile, I'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Just be aware that exactly how all supposedly similar perfumes never end up actually being similar neither will this one.
    How well I know!

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Huh??

Missing Oakmoss

I took GoldWineMemories' statement to mean: "Just because someone says that Perfume A smells just like Perfume B, doesn't mean that it will smell that way to you."

I took GoldWineMemories' statement to mean: "Just because someone says that Perfume A smells just like Perfume B, doesn't mean that it will smell that way to you."
    Maybe that’s what he meant........however I’ve always just assumed everybody knows that already.
    His actual words state “never”......and “neither will this one” referencing NK and Sultan Pasha Incense. So it sounds like he’s saying that you won’t find a close comparison (even though he doesn’t mention that he’s ever smelled the SP) so in all reality, just talking without actually ever comparing the two.

All one has to do is scan through this site a bit, and lots of us have found a very close comparison between these fragrances.

I hope you get to try the SP Incense, it’s almost too easy of a comparison, and that’s why I’m emphasizing it here with experience because many like me enjoy NK incense, but it’s impossible to get. And the SP is accessible. So people should know.

Missing Oakmoss

I hope you get to try the SP Incense, it’s almost too easy of a comparison, and that’s why I’m emphasizing it here with experience because many like me enjoy NK incense, but it’s impossible to get. And the SP is accessible. So people should know.
    Since it's so similar to NK, there's no doubt in my mind that I'll love it. I'll probably wait a few weeks to order it, as things are chaotic with the mails right now.

Basenotes Plus

Maybe that’s what he meant........however I’ve always just assumed everybody knows that already.
    His actual words state “never”......and “neither will this one” referencing NK and Sultan Pasha Incense. So it sounds like he’s saying that you won’t find a close comparison (even though he doesn’t mention that he’s ever smelled the SP) so in all reality, just talking without actually ever comparing the two.

All one has to do is scan through this site a bit, and lots of us have found a very close comparison between these fragrances.

Yeah. I agree. This is the reason I brought it up, too. It has been mentioned and reiterated repeatedly here and in many other places. I don't think your experience is an anomaly. I think the disclaimer on a 100% exact match for every single person kinda goes without saying. Two organic bananas purchased two weeks apart don't taste exactly the same, but they sure are close.

I am resentful of Norma Kamali Incense. I have a decant myself but will likely be unloading it soon, it's just not deserving of the praise at all. It's a burnt, industrial acrid chemical fire scent in my opinion, and I very much enjoy smoke and incense fragrances alike. A friend shared some with me some time ago when I had never heard of it, and I immediately disliked it.

Part of my cynicism lies in the fact that I suspect the formula is laughably simple, since it is almost purely just the smell of hydrocarboresine (biolandes). I have fairly easy access to a university mass spec machine and am planning to run it once the craziness dies down, but I'm near certain that one of the only major materials used is this. When diluted at 3% or so it looks and smells identical to Incense, and I have no attachment to the sentimental value of owning any of the original.