Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default The Holy Grail...Is there 'really' such a thing as a fragrance that 'everyone' likes & nobody hates?

Ok,

Show me a scent that 'everyone' on here won't dissent against. I don't think I've ever seen such a fragrance. There is no focus group, no artistic creation, no "director approved" designer, no, none that satisfy all.

But hey, toss your best universal scent in the ring and let's find out which one "no one can dislike".

I would have started with 4711, but nope, someone once replied to a post I made giving love to 4711 and said he 'hated' it. How can anyone hate 4711? So fresh, so simple, so timeless. Even that one got hate from someone once. So, give it your best shot and let's find out what responders have to say.

Default Re: The Holy Grail...Is there 'really' such a thing as a fragrance that 'everyone' likes & nobody ha

'The Holy Grail' is subjective: there is no scent that everyone likes...nor hates

Default Re: The Holy Grail...Is there 'really' such a thing as a fragrance that 'everyone' likes & nobody ha

I think you would be more likely to find one that nobody hates than that everyone loves... But your 4711 example may disprove that.

Or just, you know, Aventus.
    "To 'give style' to one's character-- a great and rare art!" - Nietzsche

"I got my own style; you put my shoes on, you wouldn't last a mile" - Mac Dre

Basenotes Junkie

I don't think anyone hates Secretions Magnifiques.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

I feel like anything with heightened exclusivity placed on a pedestal by enough influential people becomes a holy grail. Hence when an influencer or youtuber talks about an obscure discontinued scent that nobody beforehand really wanted, it's suddenly $500 on eBay and becomes the talk of "FragBros" everywhere.

Replace discontinued with artisanal brand like Areej le Dore and same thing (Russian Oud being the scent responsible for sending that whole house into unobtaniumland), or replace something not-so-scarce with something reasonably available but still niche and you end up with Roja Dove/Creed hype levels.

If it's not discontinued, limited-batch, or extremely exclusive/expensive by design, it almost can't be a "grail" scent (at least for guys), no matter how universally liked it is.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Zealot Crusader View Post
    I feel like anything with heightened exclusivity placed on a pedestal by enough influential people becomes a holy grail.
    That's a different concept of "grail" than that put forward by the OP, though. Tspencer is defining it as a fragrance everyone likes. You're defining it as a fragrance everyone (at least within a self-selected community) wants. These are very different ideas, and even if we accepted for the sake of argument that tspencer's is possible, they're certain not to be embodied in the same fragrance, because your concept revolves around a supposed exclusivity of both access and taste that precludes being universally likable.

In theory it would be easier to find a fragrance nobody hates, rather than the one everybody likes.......but, either way, not happening. There isn’t one.

I think a good related question would be, what fragrance genre would be most likely to produce a nobody dislikes fragrance if it were possible??

IMO it would be a fresh/soapy/fougere type

Almost as easy as finding a song that is universally liked.

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

No such thing, if only because this hobby, like the world at large, is full of contrarian hipsters who will hate on something just because it’s popular.
    It’s very entertaining
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

The Devil in the Details
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    That's a different concept of "grail" than that put forward by the OP, though. Tspencer is defining it as a fragrance everyone likes. You're defining it as a fragrance everyone (at least within a self-selected community) wants. These are very different ideas, and even if we accepted for the sake of argument that tspencer's is possible, they're certain not to be embodied in the same fragrance, because your concept revolves around a supposed exclusivity of both access and taste that precludes being universally likable.
    And I offered that definition for contrast and its explanation because that's typically what gets labelled a grail these days: the thing a lot of people want but few ever get to attain. I think a scent everyone likes universally ends up inverting itself with ubiquity over time to become passé like Old Spice or Drakkar Noir. In other words, a physical impossibility.
    oh look, I have a signature
    Discover a searchable archive of my reviews and more at The Scented Devil

Within the Basenotes community, Vintage Tabarome by Creed seems to be the best/closest contender-have not read nor heard about anyone here disliking this fragrance, at least not so far-though in part its legendary status/fame, scarcity and pricing may have at least in part, even unknowingly contributed to this.

Outside of Basenotes, the situation might get a bit too complicated and the possible options either too vast to properly know, define or estimate, but on the other hand also likely to include only a select few (almost) unanimously famous and popular, almost boundlessly profitable designer and niche bestsellers. The ones likelier to be noticed, liked, even complimented almost equally often and indiscriminately, nearly irrespective if going out with friends, dating, traveling, on formal as well as informal occasions, also during a job interview, in office/workplace environments, during spare time/after hours and in almost any other possible context.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 1st April 2020 at 07:06 AM.
    Currently wearing: Marbert Homme by Marbert

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Ok,

Show me a scent that 'everyone' on here won't dissent against. I don't think I've ever seen such a fragrance. There is no focus group, no artistic creation, no "director approved" designer, no, none that satisfy all.
    On here, won't happen.

But hey, toss your best universal scent in the ring and let's find out which one "no one can dislike".
    If "no one can dislike it," how good can it be that virtually everyone would like it? Something that no one dislikes must be pretty inoffensive to the point of being bland? Isn't it better to just find out what's the best crowd pleaser for each generation or era?

Acqua di Gio seemed to be the "everyone's favorite" of the early 2000s. Eternity early '89-'91.

I would have started with 4711, but nope, someone once replied to a post I made giving love to 4711 and said he 'hated' it. How can anyone hate 4711? So fresh, so simple, so timeless. Even that one got hate from someone once. So, give it your best shot and let's find out what responders have to say.
    Okay, that's a good one. I wouldn't have even thought of wearing it, as it's way too retro to the point of being simplistic but...it not a bad scent at all and it's not quite bland either. Makes me want to add it my collection.

I think the type of scent that everyone would like and no one would hate would probably be something very fresh and clean that doesn't last long. Something like an eau de cologne, or those cheapies at the discounters that don't smell like scratchy synthetic or heavy. Maybe Paradise by Alfred Sung? I remember smelling it and finding nothing objectionable about it whatsoever. In fact it was very pleasant smelling, and I was worried that it was not masculine enough.

Most men's fragrances have something in the dry down that can be disagreeable to others unless the wearer has something that adds to it.

First things first, the "Holy Grail" does not exist.

I like some suggestions in the thread though. Both Acqua di Gio and Old Spice. Of course not all will like it, but many will approve they have got/done something.

I'm surprised no one auto-replied Green Irish Tweed. It bores me out, so not something I would suggest.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    'The Holy Grail' is subjective: there is no scent that everyone likes...nor hates
    Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by tspencer View Post
    Ok,

I know many people who hate 4711/Neroli Portofino, they name it "dated" and "grandmother-y". That's not a revelation as we live in era of Sauvage freshness.
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Sillage Monster

I always thought of the Holy Grail as an individual's personal ultimate best scent, not one that everybody likes. The Holy Grail is usually elusive and causes one to search out hundreds of possibilities. Hence, the Quest.
    Hey, let's be careful out there. - Sgt. Esterhaus, Hill Street Blues
    Currently wearing: Fleur de Peau by Diptyque

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    I always thought of the Holy Grail as an individual's personal ultimate best scent, not one that everybody likes. The Holy Grail is usually elusive and causes one to search out hundreds of possibilities. Hence, the Quest.
    That is exactly how I see it! I was a bit puzzled of the use of the term, but as he explained how he thought I joined in.

That is why the "Holy Grail" is, and has to be, subjective. It is up to every person if they have found their holy grail and no other can determine that.

Freed from BN Institution

As already mentioned a holy grail scent is subjective.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Basenotes Plus

As used by the OP, the “grail” would be for perfume companies rather than for consumers. I don’t want to wear something everyone likes, but I’d love to be able to sell it.

Even if it were the literal fragrance holy grail, the scent Christ used for the Last Supper, people would still probably criticize it.
    Anyway, aren't we already there? Designers putting out releases with mass appeal?
    "Ducks eat for free at Subway."

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The market for holy grails dried up in the 90s.

Basenotes Plus

The mass pleasing designer fragrances are trying to be this, but after extended amounts of time some people might grow bored or disgusted of some and depending on application this will vary person to person. I don’t think such a scent exists since the sense of smell varies greatly among people.
    Closest to a signature fragrance - Azzaro Azzaro Pour Homme

I posted a thread about HOLY GRAILs some time ago. Everybody has his own holy grail. Sometimes people do not even have it. But if we are talking about a perfume that everybody likes, I would guess that a citrus that smells natural and is not sharp would appeal to most people. Something like the green orange in Eau D'Orange Verte. But I might be wrong.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Basenotes Institution Darjeeling's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    This is how I normally use it, and how I see it used by most people in the fragrance community.
    1. No, never blind buy (I do, but do as I say, not as I do. I'm taking no responsibility for your fragrance gambling).
    2. Get them both. You're a Basenoter and you know you're going to end up purchasing them both eventually.
    3. Yes, it has been reformulated.
    4. Looking for a signature scent? You've come to the wrong place.

Which food is universal liked? None
    Which woman? None
    Which movie? None
    Which religion? None
    which, which, which...none, none, none
    Why should we agree on fragrance?
    The answer is again none

Quote Originally Posted by Monsieur Montana View Post
    Which food is universal liked? None
    Which woman? None
    Which movie? None
    Which religion? None
    which, which, which...none, none, none
    Why should we agree on fragrance?
    The answer is again none

Most of humanity likes Bread. Does it not? Bread is kind of universally liked. There may be a very tiny small percentage of people who do not like bread, but I guess you can say that bread is universally liked. Most people like Milk, even if some people are allergic to it or have problems digesting it. I guess you can say that Milk is kind of universally liked. I guess that most of humanity believes in a creator. Isn't it? The idea of a creator is kind of universally present, even if there is a small percentage of atheists (like myself), agnostics and the like.

What I am trying to say is that there are things and ideas that are indeed kind of universally liked/adopted. The opposition to them is very small.

Wearing Perfume Right Now

The real test of a holy grail is whether it makes peoples' faces melt. I don't just call my fragrances holy grails without justification.

Dependent

A very difficult task to answer, as it's impossible to please everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrei Bolkonsky View Post
    Most of humanity likes Bread. Does it not? Bread is kind of universally liked. There may be a very tiny small percentage of people who do not like bread, but I guess you can say that bread is universally liked. Most people like Milk, even if some people are allergic to it or have problems digesting it. I guess you can say that Milk is kind of universally liked. I guess that most of humanity believes in a creator. Isn't it? The idea of a creator is kind of universally present, even if there is a small percentage of atheists (like myself), agnostics and the like.
    most isn’t everybody
    let’s not try to dissect further or start a theological/philosophical discussion
    we are almost 8.000.000.000 people on this planet
    do you think we all agree at something?
    by the way I don’t like milk and the majority of south Asians don’t really eat bread