Code of Conduct
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
    Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: Vintage Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Attachment 127078

Lucky me: this bottle is from the inaugural year, 1992. I had been resisting Héritage, amongst others, because I got the idea from Habit Rouge EdT that I didn't like the Guerlain house style or Guerlinade base. This has turned out to be, um, baseless. I just don't like Habit Rouge. The fact that I also love Vetiver, Derby, and Coriolan should have been sufficient. I love nearly all of Mrs. S.' Guerlains, though I'm not as enamored of Shalimar as of the others. Mitsouko, l'Heure Bleue, Nahema—all fabulous. Still figuring out where I stand on Samsara, not because it bothers me, but because I haven't got a strong sense of it yet.

I think tomorrow I'll break out the Vol de Nuit. So far, I've only gotten a whiff off the bottle, and I almost ruined my pants.
    I don't Vol de Nuit will disappoint. I like it just as much as Mitsouko.

Don't forget Sous Le Vent and Vega!
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    Well, thanks - I am a true fan, no doubt.

Any progress on your Guerlain collection?
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Any progress on your Guerlain collection?
    Funny you should mention that. While I haven't acquired additional full bottles (yet), I did recently receive 4 vintage samples:

(1) Vetiver EdC. Last week, I gave it a full day's wear and I've been thinking about it ever since. To me, this one is FBW. With that being said, and with the prices that the EdC is going for on the auction sites, I'm not going to splurge for it until I sell off some of my seldom-if-ever-used bottles to pay for it. My bottle of EdT will suffice for now.

(2) Heritage EdT. I gave this one a full wearing just the other day. The first 5 minutes or so was absolutely magnificent! So much so that I started searching for a bottle. But I know better - wait for the dry down - and I'm glad I did. Unfortunately, the vintage (at least this particular sample) ended up disappointing me. The vintage ended up being quite short-lived, with little to no projection. But what killed it for me, was that in the dry down, the tonka (or at least what I think is tonka) was too heavy for my liking. So honestly, I much prefer the silver cap bottle that I have.

(3) Samsara EdT from 1988. I tested this one the other day (not a full wearing). The opening of this one had potential upon first application. I was immediately hit with sandalwood and had great expectations. But alas, this one made a turn towards, what to me, smelled like hazelnut. And truth-be-told, this one is not suited for me.

(4) Imperiale. I'm familiar with the current version of this - a wonderful and uplifting lemon, that only lasts for about 10 minutes. But this vintage version (not sure of the year) lacks the prominent zing and zest of citrus and has sort of a "mustiness". Again, could this be tonka? Or perhaps it's just this particular sample and age being factors? Anyway, not a fan of this vintage version; although to be fair, I only gave it a test run, not a full wearing.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

(4) Imperiale. I'm familiar with the current version of this - a wonderful and uplifting lemon, that only lasts for about 10 minutes. But this vintage version (not sure of the year) lacks the prominent zing and zest of citrus and has sort of a "mustiness". Again, could this be tonka? Or perhaps it's just this particular sample and age being factors? Anyway, not a fan of this vintage version; although to be fair, I only gave it a test run, not a full wearing.
    There's no point searching out vintage for the eau de colognes, in my view. You need all those hesperidic notes to be as zingy and zesty and fresh as they possibly can be.

Basenotes Plus

(3) Samsara EdT from 1988. I tested this one the other day (not a full wearing). The opening of this one had potential upon first application. I was immediately hit with sandalwood and had great expectations. But alas, this one made a turn towards, what to me, smelled like hazelnut. And truth-be-told, this one is not suited for me.
    The “hazelnut” note may be an indication that your sample has turned. I haven’t noticed it, but my wife has picked it up in a few vintage Guerlains as sample-specific rather than scent-specific.

Basenotes Plus

Nice photo!
    Thank you!
    Currently wearing: Samsara Shine by Guerlain

Basenotes Plus

It’s vintage Vol de Nuit day.

4D4E0B28-E084-46D0-B3D7-253753D0BE43.jpg

I bumped into a full 200 ml bottle of Guerlain Vetiver EdC. It's in a green zigzag box. I think it's maybe from the 80's. What's your take of this version? How does it compare to vintage and current EdT? I have been terribly unlucky with Habit Rouge EdC, so I am a bit hesitant. I have bought two seriously turned bottles.

Also, any idea what would be a decent price for a bottle like this? I am not an expert when it comes to Vetiver and find it very difficult to estimate this.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    There's no point searching out vintage for the eau de colognes, in my view. You need all those hesperidic notes to be as zingy and zesty and fresh as they possibly can be.
    That makes total sense - thanks for the heads up.

The “hazelnut” note may be an indication that your sample has turned. I haven’t noticed it, but my wife has picked it up in a few vintage Guerlains as sample-specific rather than scent-specific.
    Ah so - interesting.
    Currently wearing: Brut by Fabergé

Basenotes Plus

It’s vintage Vol de Nuit day.

4D4E0B28-E084-46D0-B3D7-253753D0BE43.jpg
    So good. Smokey, incensy, but not in an obvious way. Not a quiet scent, but beautifully constructed to make room for the volume. I can still smell it in the room you left 20 minutes ago.

Quote Originally Posted by DrTricia View Post
    So good. Smokey, incensy, but not in an obvious way. Not a quiet scent, but beautifully constructed to make room for the volume. I can still smell it in the room you left 20 minutes ago.
    I cannot get enough of Gin.

I like your notes on Vol de Nuit. That looks like an edc, I'm guessing, based on eBay listings I've seen. This is a medium volume fragrance for me, as you described. This is a nominee for the most Guerlain Guerlain.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post

I like your notes on Vol de Nuit. That looks like an edc, I'm guessing, based on eBay listings I've seen. This is a medium volume fragrance for me, as you described. This is a nominee for the most Guerlain Guerlain.
    Gin is more addicting than Mitsouko. Yes, it's an EdC c. 1970s (no box/no batch code). Once the smoke dissipates, it dries down with more powdery vanilla than I like, but it stays amazing for long enough that I don't mind. It will be interesting to compare to well preserved, higher concentration vintages down the road. Meanwhile, this was a bargain as such things go, so no regrets.

Basenotes Plus

Both Gin and I thank you. Here he is on his new tree

8913E6B0-F428-417B-A93E-CC283FCD5AD0.jpg

Basenotes Plus

This is how my Sucrier de Madame Vol de Nuit looked before shipping

1GuerlainSucrierMadame VdN.jpg

This is how she arrived. The plastic sleeve held her in a bath of alcohol, and completely destroyed the label.
    2SucrierLeaked2.jpg
    3SucrierDamage2.jpg

Luckily, she is solid brass, and cleaned up well.

4SucrierVdNopen.jpg

And she smells amazing.
    5VoldeNuitSucrier.jpg

A 200-ml spray hits the spot. I was shattered about the breakage until I saw it clean up so well. That basket is still the cat's meow.

Basenotes Plus

A 200-ml spray hits the spot.
    Tricia's been walking around smelling herself all day.

Tricia's been walking around smelling herself all day.
    I want back in on this Guerlain party. Throw me a bone with a heads up on what we're wearing next, and when.

Basenotes Plus

I want back in on this Guerlain party. Throw me a bone with a heads up on what we're wearing next, and when.
    That's up to the good Dr. T. I'm still on my New Fragrance Every Day regimen—at least until the next meeting of Smell Club—and I haven't any untried Guerlains of my own.

That's up to the good Dr. T. I'm still on my New Fragrance Every Day regimen—at least until the next meeting of Smell Club—and I haven't any untried Guerlains of my own.
    She seems too nice to leave me hanging - I'm feeling the Guerlain-party spirit coming on!

And she smells amazing.
    5VoldeNuitSucrier.jpg
    I like the before and after scenes - just like new. I'd like to know the verdict. If I had to own another Guerlain this would be it.

Basenotes Plus

A 200-ml spray hits the spot. I was shattered about the breakage until I saw it clean up so well. That basket is still the cat's meow.
    Agreed!

Basenotes Plus

You're definitely at the head of the guest list!

Basenotes Plus

She seems too nice to leave me hanging
    She’s the nicest person I’ve ever known. And I’ve known some very nice people.

Basenotes Plus

I like the before and after scenes - just like new. I'd like to know the verdict. If I had to own another Guerlain this would be it.
    I loooove this one. It’s got an odd edge in the “upper register” in beginning (likening it to a piano keyboard), then the Guerlain fur coat joins in, bringing the lower midrange. Finally, everybody calms down, and it’s soft, warm, robust low end — pure beauty, just for the wearer.

Mitsouko is known for being heavy on the oakmoss, but I have a bottle from the 1919-1940's which I assume is going to be *the* original formula, and the dry down I get much more vetiver than oakmoss. I love that opening. I have a 80ml bottle that maybe had 70ish mls left and I accidentally spilt about 1/3rd of it the other day. Sucks because it didn't even fall on something that remained scented it was this synthetic material that retained next to nothing. I have to say though I'm quite thankful to have been able to experience that few hours of intense Mitsouko (at the end it was almost too much), because if I hadn't split it no way would I have ever used that much in on sitting on anything.

I have a vintage Femme and a 1989 reform coming, and I really hope Femme has that beautiful chypre quality to it Mitsouko does. Also have Lumiere Noire Femme, which sound interesting with spicy pepper and caraway over a neo-chypre concoction.

I try hard to not to be a person who lives in the past as I think nostalgia is dangerous and unbecoming, especially if you're nostalgic for something you never even experienced..that said I can only imagine what the world was like when women wore beautiful Mitsouko rather than your Baccarat Rouge 540's.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Mitsouko is known for being heavy on the oakmoss, but I have a bottle from the 1919-1940's which I assume is going to be *the* original formula, and the dry down I get much more vetiver than oakmoss. I love that opening. I have a 80ml bottle that maybe had 70ish mls left and I accidentally spilt about 1/3rd of it the other day. Sucks because it didn't even fall on something that remained scented it was this synthetic material that retained next to nothing. I have to say though I'm quite thankful to have been able to experience that few hours of intense Mitsouko (at the end it was almost too much), because if I hadn't split it no way would I have ever used that much in on sitting on anything.

I have a vintage Femme and a 1989 reform coming, and I really hope Femme has that beautiful chypre quality to it Mitsouko does. Also have Lumiere Noire Femme, which sound interesting with spicy pepper and caraway over a neo-chypre concoction.

I try hard to not to be a person who lives in the past as I think nostalgia is dangerous and unbecoming, especially if you're nostalgic for something you never even experienced..that said I can only imagine what the world was like when women wore beautiful Mitsouko rather than your Baccarat Rouge 540's.
    Hello there. I am a vintage Mitsouko devotee. I have several different vintages, but none yet as old as your bottle. I have found all of my various years and concentrations are different, although still recognizable. I very much look forward to finding the perfect pre-70s bottle. Thank you for your thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post

Hello there. I am a vintage Mitsouko devotee. I have several different vintages, but none yet as old as your bottle. I have found all of my various years and concentrations are different, although still recognizable. I very much look forward to finding the perfect pre-70s bottle. Thank you for your thoughts.
    I haven't smelled any Mitsouko formulation prior to the 1980s. I do own a PDT bottle which is absolutely wonderful.

I haven't smelled any Mitsouko formulation prior to the 1980s. I do own a PDT bottle which is absolutely wonderful.
    I've tried everything except for any PdT and a 70's extrait, and honestly they're all so good you cannot go wrong with anything. Personally I like the parfums the best, but the colognes have a nice spice quality to them also.

Basenotes Plus

Finally trying Chamade edt. It’s so lovely. A perfect foil to my exhibitionist fragrances. I’ll have to look for one of the beautiful vintage parfum bottles.

DB9BB0CE-0C35-43BB-962F-1247F9C1B0F9.jpg

I'm resampling two different samples of Vol de Nuit Parfum Extrait. One from the 1940s and the other from the 1980s. There's an opportunity to acquire an original formulation bottle from the 1930s. I really enjoy the early formulation of Vol de Nuit, it's very soothing and comforting. The mossy dry down accompanied the orris root and oriental notes is magical.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast