Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Default Re: Vintage Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Bavard View Post
    That is a righteous collection of classic Guerlain fragrances, Aero. Nice collecting! How do you like those Mitsoukos? Are they clearly the same fragrance?
    Thanks! And regarding the Mitsouko's that I have....to me, they are definitely not the same fragrance. The vintage sample I have is labeled, "Pure Parfum", not extrait like I thought. Not sure if that's the same or different. But it's definitely different (in a very good way!) from the EdP bottle that I have (a 2007 batch). The "pure parfum" is one that I can pull off wearing; but the EdP not really. The EdP only has tree moss, not oak moss, and is very, very "peachy" and not much development on my skin. It's still a nice fragrance, and one that I'll wear around the house on occasion, because it is a relaxing and pleasing scent, but like I said, not one that really works for me.

I forgot some other Guerlains that qualify for this thread (as I was depending on memory), so I decided to finally just gather them all up and snap some photos.

Here are the ones that were originally released prior to 2000, but are post-2000 batches:

And here are the ones that are actual vintage bottles that date earlier than 2000:

And Guerlain samples that I have on hand:

Shalimar Extrait (vintage)
    Mitsouko Pure Parfum (vintage - but not sure)
    Jicky Extrait (vintage)
    Cuir de Russie Extrait (vintage)
    Derby (vintage)
    Vol de Nuit EdT (current version)

(And I do also have some post-2000 launched fragrances: LIDG EdT and EdP; Homme L'Eau Boisee, and Habit Rouge Dress Code)
    Last edited by aero58; 6th April 2020 at 12:55 AM.
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

Freed from BN Institution

Who enjoys PDT Mitsouko ?
    GUERLAIN MITSOUKO VINTAGE PDT.jpg

Eagle bottles are wonderful
    GUERLAIN DERBY VINTAGE 1986.jpg
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35
    Currently wearing: Citrus Bigarrade by Creed

Has anyone tried Djedi, that is one that I'm curious about.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Yes!

Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    Thanks! And regarding the Mitsouko's that I have....to me, they are definitely not the same fragrance. The vintage sample I have is labeled, "Pure Parfum", not extrait like I thought. Not sure if that's the same or different. But it's definitely different (in a very good way!) from the EdP bottle that I have (a 2007 batch). The "pure parfum" is one that I can pull off wearing; but the EdP not really. The EdP only has tree moss, not oak moss, and is very, very "peachy" and not much development on my skin. It's still a nice fragrance, and one that I'll wear around the house on occasion, because it is a relaxing and pleasing scent, but like I said, not one that really works for me.

I forgot some other Guerlains that qualify for this thread (as I was depending on memory), so I decided to finally just gather them all up and snap some photos.

Here are the ones that were originally released prior to 2000, but are post-2000 batches:

And here are the ones that are actual vintage bottles that date earlier than 2000:

And Guerlain samples that I have on hand:

Shalimar Extrait (vintage)
    Mitsouko Pure Parfum (vintage - but not sure)
    Jicky Extrait (vintage)
    Cuir de Russie Extrait (vintage)
    Derby (vintage)
    Vol de Nuit EdT (current version)

(And I do also have some post-2000 launched fragrances: LIDG EdT and EdP; and Habit Rouge Dress Code)
    Wow! Very astonished at these two photos!
    Great! Perfect image with a neutral background and without any edge and above all no,
    perspective distortion of the bottles to the so-called "falling lines"! 5 Stars!
    Something to translate: ... says the real important German cabaret artist Dieter Nuhr: "Und wenn nichts wei, einfach mal die Fresse halten!"

Yes!

Gave away to a very good female friend a few months ago:

An unopened, original sealed flacon of
    Guerlain's Parfum Vol de Nuit

Something to translate: ... says the real important German cabaret artist Dieter Nuhr: "Und wenn nichts wei, einfach mal die Fresse halten!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    Thank you for sharing the pictures with us and for starting this highly informative thread.

Personally owning just vintage Heritage EDT among full bottles and among samples, vintage Derby among pre 2000s Guerlains and must admit being fascinated by both, enjoying to rediscover their fascinating array of notes during each wear.
    A fan of Heritage and Derby!

Slayerized likes Heritage and Vetiver! Good looking bottles. They look vintage to me. Gold cap means vintage, I believe.

Hednic likes the men's stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by Oviatt View Post
    Bavard--

Amazing collection. I love the older Guerlains and regularly wear vintage Heritage, Coriolan and Habit Rouge EdC. An older, montre bottle of Shalimar EdC smells better to me than the current extrait--it was just that good! Love your Derby Eagle Bottle.
    I've seen you mentioning these three Guerlain masculines over the years. You think the connection between Heritage and Shalimar is just as strong as the connection between Habit Rouge and Shalimar, I seem to recall. I agree there's plenty of vanilla to go around, including in Heritage.

I love that Habit Rouge is so divisive. I'm amused.

I love that Habit Rouge is so divisive. I'm amused.
    If I wanted to wear something like Habit Rouge, I'd just go with one of the Shalimar releases. Shalimar has more sparkle.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    Well, you know me, Bavard - I'm a Guerlain admirer through-and-through. Brooks Otterlake refers to Guerlain's "full bodied richness and formality," and that's a lovely way of putting it. Guerlains are stately: even at their wildest (in my collection, that would probably be Mahora) and most surprsing (Mitsouko, Jicky), they maintain a seamlessly integrated structure and elegance that I find almost second to none.

For me, vintage is the only way to go with Guerlain, in any concentration. If I had to pick a favorite, it would be L'Heure Bleue extrait. I could possibly live without Shalimar (though when I'm in the mood for it, nothing else will do), but never Mitsouko, Samsara, Nahema or Chamade. The late-80s parfum de toilette concentration allowed one to experience the fullness of extrait at a very affordable price, and their EDTs and EDCs were never thin or frail. Guerlain has a permanent place in my heart.
    Yes, Bonnette, you are an inspirational Guerlain fan, thank you. And an authority on Mitsouko. I've never tried Mahora. I'm so glad I have a little L'Heure Bleue extrait. If I were indulging, I might go for some Nahema. I do really like it. I was able to convince myself that Chamade somehow covered that general area well enough for my needs.

If I was to try one and only one Mitsouko release, what should it be?

Quote Originally Posted by Brooks Otterlake View Post
    Mitsouko and Chanel Pour Monsieur are connected, to my nose. Any old version of either is fantastic. When they had to make changes, they added coloring (orange for Mitsouko, green for Chanel Pour Monsieur). Recently, they have returned to near-vintage quality, to my nose / for my tastes - at least based on how the openings smell in the shops. They smell fixed now, and the coloring is almost entirely gone. Pour Monsieur has a tiny hint of green left.

If the juice looks orange, don't take a risk, I'd say. For vintage, you have edc, edt, pdt, parfum (and maybe an edp?). Before there were ingredient restrictions, I don't know that there was ever a problem with any version of Mitsouko. I have parfum and edt, and would recommend edt because the bottle is way bigger.

When boxes are included with a listing, it's clear what's vintage.

If I wanted to wear something like Habit Rouge, I'd just go with one of the Shalimar releases. Shalimar has more sparkle.
    Shalimar has a bigger personality, true.

Mitsouko and Chanel Pour Monsieur are connected, to my nose. Any old version of either is fantastic. When they had to make changes, they added coloring (orange for Mitsouko, green for Chanel Pour Monsieur). Recently, they have returned to near-vintage quality, to my nose / for my tastes - at least based on how the openings smell in the shops. They smell fixed now, and the coloring is almost entirely gone. Pour Monsieur has a tiny hint of green left.
    I am astonished to hear that they've successfully been reformulated, but that's good news.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    It took her a minute, but Mrs. S. has fallen hard for vintage Mitsouko, and she’s also having quite the fling with L’Heure Bleue. She’s now feeling the urge to explore (or, in some cases, rediscover) other vintage Guerlains.

As for me, I love Derby, Vetiver, and Coriolan. I rather famously despise Habit Rouge, and haven’t yet experienced the rest. I don’t think I’m a LIDGE kinda guy, but maybe I shouldn’t prejudge.
    I agree with Brooks that LIDG is better than LIDGE, although it's off topic because it doesn't smell vintage-y enough.

I have a big Coriolan sample I had forgotten about when I was taking pictures. I don't wear it anymore, so it's in deep storage. I did have an affair with it a few years ago.

Derby and Vetiver are getting a lot of love in the thread.

I'm glad she's taken to Mitsouko and L'Heure Bleue. It's hard to think of a more classic pair. I was looking up at the lists from Grayspoole and Bonnette wondering what's the best pick to turn this duo into a trio. Samsara, Chamade, and Nahema were getting shout outs.

Quote Originally Posted by Tradition View Post
    I currently have Heritage, Derby, Imperiale Extra Dry, Jicky and Mitsouko in my collection.
    Lots of talk about Jicky. I think I like the Mouchoir de Monsier take on the theme for myself, but I also wear Habit Rouge instead of Shalimar - not the most exciting.

Derby is the Guerlain I most want to sample, but it's cost-prohibitive to do so.

Derby is the Guerlain I most want to sample, but it's cost-prohibitive to do so.
    Not if someone sends you a sample for free.

Not if someone sends you a sample for free.
    I would never turn down such a generous, kind offer, were one to be made. But I also wouldn't dare to impose.

Missing Oakmoss

I am so glad to hear from Bavard that the problems (which began in earnest around 2013-14, if memory serves) have been solved! If you decide to opt for vintage, I'd recommend going for a late-80s Parfum de Toilette (N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer posted a photo of his in Post #32, above) or an early-to-mid-90s bottle of any concentration. If you want to try the parfum but don't wish to invest much in it at first, there are lots of minis for sale on eBay and Etsy used to have them, too.

Missing Oakmoss

I've never tried Mahora....If I were indulging, I might go for some Nahema. I do really like it. I was able to convince myself that Chamade somehow covered that general area well enough for my needs.
    Be prepared if you try it, Mahora (renamed Mayotte) is a white flower bomb! Nahema is much rosier than Chamade, so unless you're in the mood for a big juicy bouquet of roses, Chamade's gorgeous floral blend will probably continue to suit your needs.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Who enjoys PDT Mitsouko ?
    GUERLAIN MITSOUKO VINTAGE PDT.jpg

Eagle bottles are wonderful
    GUERLAIN DERBY VINTAGE 1986.jpg
    You're taunting me with that Derby.

And I'll have to try that PDT one day.
    Last edited by aero58; 5th April 2020 at 06:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paradeiserl View Post
    Wow! Very astonished at these two photos!
    Great! Perfect image with a neutral background and without any edge and above all no,
    perspective distortion of the bottles to the so-called "falling lines"! 5 Stars!
    Thank you for the kind words. Much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Has anyone tried Djedi, that is one that I'm curious about.
    I've never heard of this one - had to look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonnette View Post
    I am so glad to hear from Bavard that the problems (which began in earnest around 2013-14, if memory serves) have been solved! If you decide to opt for vintage, I'd recommend going for a late-80s Parfum de Toilette (N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer posted a photo of his in Post #32, above) or an early-to-mid-90s bottle of any concentration. If you want to try the parfum but don't wish to invest much in it at first, there are lots of minis for sale on eBay and Etsy used to have them, too.
    When it comes to vintage, I never go full bottle if I can help it! I'll go a-huntin' for the Mitsouko minis.

Since people are talking about buying vintage minis I have this word of advice which you can choose to follow or not: Do not buy from Russia, Ukraine, or UAE. These are all scams and you will lose money. How it works is that nearly all these listings will offer returns with you footing the cost. Which ends up being $30-$40. Sometimes that's the price you paid for the perfume, and so you end up not refunding and they make money. I've seen Thailand listings that looks suspicious too. Purchase from your home country and you can be pretty sure eBay will have the buyer's back. Purchasing international and they're pretty much limp wristed and can't do a whole lot.

Other than that I say go for it. Especially Mitsouko. I've purchased nearly every vintage form except for Parfum de Toilette. If you're realistic and understand the top notes may be diminished you're going to get a wonderful chypre. Look out for if the liquid looks like ink. Black and opaque. Avoid. If it's golden to dark brown then buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by roro View Post
    That is quite a collection, Bavard. . . It's probably time I gave the classics another chance. Vol de Nuit and Mitsouko, in particular. None of the Guerlains I've smelled would get anything close to a bad review from me. At the same time, none have made it onto my list of can't-live-withouts.
    Thanks! Mitsouko pulls on my heartstrings more than most. The Vol de Nuit edt I have is nice - relatively tame, but still vintage Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldWineMemories View Post
    Since people are talking about buying vintage minis I have this word of advice which you can choose to follow or not: Do not buy from Russia, Ukraine, or UAE. These are all scams and you will lose money. How it works is that nearly all these listings will offer returns with you footing the cost. Which ends up being $30-$40. Sometimes that's the price you paid for the perfume, and so you end up not refunding and they make money. I've seen Thailand listings that looks suspicious too. Purchase from your home country and you can be pretty sure eBay will have the buyer's back. Purchasing international and they're pretty much limp wristed and can't do a whole lot.

Other than that I say go for it. Especially Mitsouko. I've purchased nearly every vintage form except for Parfum de Toilette. If you're realistic and understand the top notes may be diminished you're going to get a wonderful chypre. Look out for if the liquid looks like ink. Black and opaque. Avoid. If it's golden to dark brown then buy it.
    Thanks for the tips.

On eBay, I never deal with international sellers when it comes to vintage perfume. Too much risk.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Since people are talking about buying vintage minis I have this word of advice which you can choose to follow or not: Do not buy from Russia, Ukraine, or UAE. These are all scams and you will lose money. How it works is that nearly all these listings will offer returns with you footing the cost. Which ends up being $30-$40. Sometimes that's the price you paid for the perfume, and so you end up not refunding and they make money. I've seen Thailand listings that looks suspicious too.
    What, exactly, is the scam?

Im not old: Im vintage.

On eBay, I never deal with international sellers when it comes to vintage perfume. Too much risk.
    Just FYI, I’ve done a lot of international business on eBay, and never once been scammed. That includes fragrance purchases from Russia, Morocco (vintage Mitsouko, no less), Eastern and Western Europe, and parts of Asia. Just take the usual precautions: scrutinize the offer and the seller’s history carefully, and don’t fall for too-good-to-be-true, “it fell off the truck” prices.
    Currently wearing: Yram by Mary Chess

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Thanks! Mitsouko pulls on my heartstrings more than most. The Vol de Nuit edt I have is nice - relatively tame, but still vintage Guerlain.
    It's been a while, and I may find I've warmed to Mitsouko. I'll try to come to it with an open mind and see what happens.

This is an example of the ribbed bottles I mentioned, in case anyone was wondering. Batch code dates this one to 1987.

Quote Originally Posted by PStoller View Post
    Just FYI, I’ve done a lot of international business on eBay, and never once been scammed. That includes fragrance purchases from Russia, Morocco (vintage Mitsouko, no less), Eastern and Western Europe, and parts of Asia. Just take the usual precautions: scrutinize the offer and the seller’s history carefully, and don’t fall for too-good-to-be-true, “it fell off the truck” prices.
    Oh yeah you were the guy who bought that 125ml parfum. So I guess everything was good with it huh?

Im not old: Im vintage.

Oh yeah you were the guy who bought that 125ml parfum. So I guess everything was good with it huh?
    Completely. It smells consistently amazing and my wife is now a total Mitsouko-head. Despite the confusing info about where it was shipping from, it came from Morocco. Seller did themselves a disservice with the listing, because it could have sold for way more. It did take a long time to arrive, but it was worth the wait. I would buy from them again if I didn't mind getting the bottle months later.
    Currently wearing: Yram by Mary Chess

Quote Originally Posted by aero58 View Post
    You're taunting me with that Derby.

And I'll have to try that PDT one day.
    Neither one will disappoint.