Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Your favorite Serge Lutens????

Hey Forum,

So Serge Lutens isn't a house that I've had much experience with, actually I've never tried a single one. But they interest me very much so....

So on that note, if you own any or have sampled a few, what's your favorite and why?

Would you recommend any to me based on my current wardrobe? I like the notes for Fille en Aiguilles, Muscs Koublai Khan, and finally I think I am most interested in Borneo 1834 because of the similarity between it and Coromandel from Chanel. But I'd love to hear your opinions. Thanks for any and all recommendations BN family.

Piney
    Currently wearing: Dodo by Zoologist Perfumes

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Your favorite Serge Lutens????

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    what's your favorite and why?
    Muscs Koublai Khan & Borneo 1834 for the way they perform on my skin.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I’d recommend extensive sampling, and I say this as someone who loves *a lot* of fragrances from this house. They are beautiful but generally aren’t crowd pleasers. Try as many as you can.

If you like Coromandel (I love it), then yes, give Borneo a try. I personally ended up unable to wear it because the galbanum in it grew too sharp on me.

I would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite. If I had to limit it to one, I’d say Fumerie Turque.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain
    Currently wearing: Deepest Night by Ghost

Muscs Koublai Khan. It's addictive and strong. If you allow it to waft to your nose it is beautiful but smell it an inch away and it'd a bit funky. It's the pinnacle of fake musk

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

My favorite is Iris Silver Mist, but I am probably in the minority on that.

Sillage Monster

My favorite is Fille En Aiguilles. It's a very resinous pine, possibly the ultimate conehead fragrance. By the way, my favorite and all time most worn scent is Coromandel, but I personally wouldn't want anything too similar to it. To each their own.
    Hey, let's be careful out there. - Sgt. Esterhaus, Hill Street Blues
    Currently wearing: Oyédo by Diptyque

So far, a closely ranked top spot is shared almost equally by Ambre Sultan, Chergui and Chypre Rouge

Quote Originally Posted by tdem1961 View Post
    I’d recommend extensive sampling, and I say this as someone who loves *a lot* of fragrances from this house. They are beautiful but generally aren’t crowd pleasers. Try as many as you can.

If you like Coromandel (I love it), then yes, give Borneo a try. I personally ended up unable to wear it because the galbanum in it grew too sharp on me.

I would be hard-pressed to pick a favorite. If I had to limit it to one, I’d say Fumerie Turque.
    I'm a big fan of Coromandel, preferably the EDT version to the EDP but after the first 30-60 minutes I find them both very similar. I've read that Borneo is more of a dusty, powdery chocolate than Coromandel is, did you find this to be the case at all? Thanks for your thoughts tdem1961

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post

I know this is a lovely cold iris, but I have my heart set on Xerjoff's Irisss, plus Iris Silver Mist only comes in the bell jars, kind of a put-off in my opinion. Thanks Starblind!

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    My favorite is Fille En Aiguilles. It's a very resinous pine, possibly the ultimate conehead fragrance. By the way, my favorite and all time most worn scent is Coromandel, but I personally wouldn't want anything too similar to it. To each their own.

Do you find yourself wearing this year round or only in the winter around the holidays? I love the smell of pine, we have many mill yards close to my home where timber is stored, and cut to dimensions and then shipped on trains to Quebec and New Brunswick for various needs and uses. I agree that anything too similar is redundant, and why settle for something second best when Coromandel is still available. Thanks for your opinion Trilby.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    So far, a closely ranked top spot is shared almost equally by Ambre Sultan, Chergui and Chypre Rouge

Is Ambre Sultan somewhat similar to Amber Absolute to you?

Is Ambre Sultan somewhat similar to Amber Absolute to you?
    If I may- both are favourites of mine, but they're very different. Amber Sultan has a trademark, unforgettable bang of a start with very dry, very medicinal aromatic herbs. Bay leaf, or so I'm told. The dryness of the herbs serve so well to balance out the heat of the amber. It's with this impeccable balance of heat and coolness that the fragrance achieves masterpiece status.

Basenotes Plus

I know this is a lovely cold iris, but I have my heart set on Xerjoff's Irisss, plus Iris Silver Mist only comes in the bell jars, kind of a put-off in my opinion. Thanks Starblind!
    Actually, you can still get ISM in the travel flasks (30ml), and they are not nearly as expensive as Irisss.

Chergui, Ambre Sultan, Fumerie Turque.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Basenotes Institution TNBLUEMIKE's Avatar

A toss up between Amber Sultan and Chergui. Perhaps Amber Sultan by a nose.

Bois de Violette is pretty good too.
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously"
    Currently wearing: Black Aoud by Montale

Sillage Monster

Do you find yourself wearing this year round or only in the winter around the holidays? I love the smell of pine, we have many mill yards close to my home where timber is stored, and cut to dimensions and then shipped on trains to Quebec and New Brunswick for various needs and uses. I agree that anything too similar is redundant, and why settle for something second best when Coromandel is still available. Thanks for your opinion Trilby.
    I wear Fille En Aiguilles year round, but I'm the counter-seasonal kind of person who wears Amber scents in the heat of summer and white florals in the dead of winter. It's worth noting that I live in Southern California, which is noted for long, hot summers and mild winters.
    Hey, let's be careful out there. - Sgt. Esterhaus, Hill Street Blues
    Currently wearing: Oyédo by Diptyque

fille en aiguilles is excellent, but the MKK is harder to track down; you want the shiseido make with the palais royale logo to the bottle

Iris Silver Mist is gorgeous, but not a fragrance that I wear often. I need a certain state of mind for it. I own it in the travel spray format.

I have quite a few SLs in my collection, and my favourites are probably Santal Majuscule in terms how pleasant and wearable is, and Sarrasins for how the jasmine / musk / leather combination is handled.

MKK is nice, but not very wearable. It smells carnal, but is a little too close to the scent of armpits in terms of association for me.

Fille en Aiguilles is too gourmand for me to enjoy. Edible pine cones aren't quite my thing I find.

If I had the funds and could pick an exclusive bell jar, I'd go for Boxeuses (plummy leather and woods) or Un Voix Noire (a beautiful gardenia).

My favorite is La Fille de Berlin, then probably Chergui, followed by Bapteme du Feu, which doesn’t tend to get great reviews at all but is gorgeous on my skin. I swore off buying those bell jars, but if I didn’t I’d definitely own Borneo 1834 too.
    Favorite Houses:
    Hermès
    Rogue Perfumery
    Zoologist
    Amouage
    Frederic Malle
    Serge Lutens

Loves:
    Florals (especially rose, tuberose, cherry blossom, orange blossom, osmanthus, ylang ylang, immortelle, violet, jasmine, plum blossom, heliotrope, and iris)
    Orientals (especially spicy, woody, and floral orientals)
    Boozy notes
    Chypres (especially with real oakmoss)
    Rich gourmands
    Animalic fragrances
    Great longevity and sillage

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark View Post
    My favorite is Fille En Aiguilles. It's a very resinous pine, possibly the ultimate conehead fragrance.
    Same here.

Followed closely by 5 O’Clock Gigembre and more distantly, Gris Clair.
    I have found the paradox, that if you love until it hurts, there can be no more hurt, only more love.

Mother Teresa

Dependent

Hard not to rank Ambre Sultan up near the top. I'm awfully fond of Borneo 1834 as well.

There's a whole lot of different ways to go with the Lutens things, and I'm happy to own quite a few more than those two.
    Currently wearing: Potion by Dsquared2

Cuir Mauresque - this is a spicy-floral leather, one of my favourite leathers.
    Fumerie Turque - honeyed, rosy, oriental tobacco.
    Iris Silver Mist - especially in vintage, which has a longer, earthier drydown.
    Currently wearing: Poison by Christian Dior

Missing Oakmoss

Borneo 1834.

Basenotes Institution freewheelingvagabond's Avatar

I love Encens et Lavande, Cuir Mauresque, Daim Blond, Chergui, Tubereuse Criminelle, La Fille Berlin, Ambre Sultan, Jeux de Peau and Fille en Aiguilles. There are others I like, but these are the ones I enjoy the most.

I find some of the Lutens to be too sweet: Ambre Sultan, Chergui, Fumerie Turque, MKK - I think I would love them if they were just drier.

I came late to Serge Lutens but I've tried 25 now, only own one full bottle (Fleurs de Citronnier - it was on sale) because I seem to like the expensive stuff best.
    La Fille de Berlin is probably my favorite rose, Bas de Soie my favorite hyacinth, I enjoyed Encens et Lavande, and I became obsessed with Fourreau Noir with its lavender and tonka. I can't afford any of this stuff; I just tried them for reference. But I'm a girl and I like girlie stuff; the ones you mention have good reputations and you will probably do well with them. Fourreau Noir is truly unisex, however, and quite different for me.
    How do you know what a French whorehouse smells like?

Quote Originally Posted by Trilby Lark;4863903[B
    ]My favorite is Fille En Aiguilles. It's a very resinous pine, possibly the ultimate conehead fragrance.[/B] By the way, my favorite and all time most worn scent is Coromandel, but I personally wouldn't want anything too similar to it. To each their own.
    Same here. Being a certified Conehead, Fille en Aiguilles is in my top three faves of all time. It is incredible IMHO.

I also love to a lesser degree, Chene, Daim Blond, and Arabie.

Also like Five O'clock Au Gingembre, and Gris Claire. Chergui is also nice as is Bois du Violette,

I've also tried and enjoyed Mandarine Mandarin, La Couche du Diable, Encens et Lavande, Feminite du Bois, and to a lesser degree, Fleurs de Citronnier, Fleurs de Oranger, L'Inciderie.

I'll admit to Muscs Koublai Khan growing on me a little bit as well.

But, Serge Noir is one I can't stand in the least. It's a love it or hate it, but I'm one of the crowd that it smells just like onions on so there's that.

Anyway, an incredible variety on amazing scents from this house and one you can get lost in for quite a while...enjoy!
    Currently wearing: Tindrer by Baruti

I have quite a few Serge Lutens.
    In no particular order

La Myrrh
    Encens et Lavande
    Daim Blond
    Chergui
    Cuir Mauresque
    Ambre Sultan this was the first SL I ever bought.

I do own more but these are the stand outs for me.
    DONNA
    Currently wearing: Daim Blond by Serge Lutens

Freed from BN Institution

Of everything that I've tried it be a tie between Ambre Sultan and Chergui
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35

Freed from BN Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Starblind View Post
    A great iris from SL although I would pick Irisss any day over it.
    Follow Upcoming Sync Fridays For 2020 HERE:http://www.basenotes.net/threads/471...d-Fridays-2020

Fragrance Reviews:http://www.basenotes.net/fragrancereviews/13373062

Interested in Learning about Discontinued/Vaulted Creeds? Join Basenotes' Creed Group: http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=35